Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

Janet...

I did a little research tonight and I found these cooler... http://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Pirate-Treasure-Chest-Cooler/dp/B001HBXULC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I32OXX8YSJF55T&colid=3BLPRYMDTXHUG

and i thought that this inflatable palm tree would just add alittle fun decor to the room to go along with the cooler... http://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Palm-Tree-35-inch/dp/B000R4KLXA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_T1?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FF0XQCC7QTU6&colid=3BLPRYMDTXHUG

Good Research ~

My sister actually brought the inflateable pirate treasure chest with her on our cruise back in 2009, she used it for her themed pirate cocktail party. But it served it's purpose well keeping the drinks cold. She just left it there along with the decorations. The cabin stewarts loved the items, they took them to their own cabins..

Here is one I am thinking about buying but this is something I wouldn't leave behind because of it's cost. I could use it for lots of other events too! Folds down like a disk.

http://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Ascot-Collapsible-Polyester-Waterproof/dp/B001AZUC66/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2

Love the palm tree... LOLOLOL

• 1 month later...
Put a tag on them...

[ATTACH]117566[/ATTACH]

Where/how do you get the tag?? & are there usually areas to keep them cool or do I need to bring a cooler? Or I can just use ice with it? Sorry for all the questions...first cruise!

Thanks!!:)

Edited by amanda2lynn

Where/how do you get the tag?? & are there usually areas to keep them cool or do I need to bring a cooler? Or I can just use ice with it? Sorry for all the questions...first cruise!

Thanks!!:)

Hi Amanda2lynn:

That particular cruise (the pictures) was with Royal Caribbean Cruis Lline. They sent us our cruise luggage tags in the mail, they had sticky on the back.

The last cruise we took was with Princess and about 45 days before cruising you were able to print off your luggage tags online. So we printed several extra and brought a small roll of clear packing tape to tape the tag onto our water and sodas.

I don't know which cruise line you are sailing on. If you are crazy like we are, we have to have our drinks ICE COLD. So we prefer to put them in a cooler we bring with us and our room attendant keeps the ice flowing for the duration of the cruise. Our little fridge in the cabin just didn't keep them as cold as we like.

Fpr Princess and Royal Caribbean Cruise lines we have brought small rolling ice chests. Some are collapsible and pack up inside your suitcase. The rolling coolers we checked them in with our regular luggage. I actually would pack it with things so it served as additional suitcase once we got to our pre-cruise destination. My sister bought an inflatable ice chest online at PARTY CITY and blew it up once she got in her cabin and the room attendant kept it filled with ice. We didn't want to pay for each bottle of water or soda plus the 15% gratuity. Yeah, you can bring a water bottle and fill it up at the water fountain, but again, for us it is our preference and the more cruises we took, the more creative we got. I know Carnival Cruise line has specifics on the size of coolers they let you bring on board.

Don't feel bad about asking questions thats what we are here for... I wish I knew about this site prior to our first cruise...

Thank you Janet, Michlev1974, ashxoxo89, anxiousforvacation, and others who have put together a list of what to pack. You are doing a great job!

I really do appreciate it, even though I am a light packer (my toilet kit would not even fill up one of the pouches on the 24-pounch overdoor shoe organizers), it is good to see what eventualities one should prepare for. So, the more you have on your list, the more it helps me, EVEN if I do not take most of the stuff. The problem with using someone else’s light packing list (say, MrsPete’s) is that her list and my light packing list both omit what the other may consider important. I can certainly look at your lists and prune it down to what I will need, but I could not simply adopt her list.

So, thank you, and please keep it up.

Janet, did you ever finish the Alaska trip packing list?

(Actually, on our first cruise we will be taking camping gear, such as tents, sleeping bags, insulation pads, paracord, GPS, water filter, hiking boots, serious rain protection, a cooler, etc., for use after the cruise (it is a OW cruise to AK) so we wont be traveling as light as we are normally used to.)

Wow! Thank you everyone for the list. First timer here as well. We are staying in a GS and heard the Shampoo RCCl provides is a pretty big bottle. Should I still bring my own for 3 people?? Boy you guys have so many great ideas!! We are driving to the port so Luggage is no problem for us.

Wow! Thank you everyone for the list. First timer here as well. We are staying in a GS and heard the Shampoo RCCl provides is a pretty big bottle. Should I still bring my own for 3 people?? Boy you guys have so many great ideas!! We are driving to the port so Luggage is no problem for us.

The bathroom supplies that they give you are replenished upon need. So.. there ya go.

PDMLYNEK: I did make up an Alaskan packing list if you want I can get it to you.. :-)

Sounds like you are going to have a faublous time up in Alaska... enjoy!!

PDMLYNEK: I did make up an Alaskan packing list if you want I can get it to you.. :-)

Sounds like you are going to have a faublous time up in Alaska... enjoy!!

Yes, Janet, I would like that. It would be great if you send it to me, but I think that it would be more helpful for others if you'd post it on this thread.

And thank you for your encouraging words about my first cruise! :)

Yes, Janet, I would like that. It would be great if you send it to me, but I think that it would be more helpful for others if you'd post it on this thread.

And thank you for your encouraging words about my first cruise! :)

I'd love to have the Alaska packing list as well. We've been to AK a few times, but never on a cruise. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Use the space bags- just make sure they aren't the kind that needs a vacuum.

Why take food? You can always grab some crackers or cookies off the buffet if you need a snack. Buy up some "travel" sizes of your favorite cosmetics, etc. Why bring a wash cloth? The ship has them.

Duct tape? Shoe organizers? Hair dryers? Maybe the ship isn't too high powered, but still... Color coordinate. take one white or black sweater in case you get chilled.

We're leaving Oct 6 for 17 days in Turkey, then 11 days in Spain then the new Carnival Breeze 15 day transatlantic. I'll have one bathing suit; so I'll have to put in on wet. One big T-shirt will serve as cover-up. Formal nights? Black slacks with different blouses (lightweight wash and wear) and a shawl with coordinated colors. I'll probably buy a shorts set in the islands.

Thank you sooo much everyone!! I have combined all the list & added/removed for my own liking & needs so I very much appreciate everything!!

Someone asked about why bring a washcloth as they are provided on the ships...this is really funny because everyone laughs at me about always having my own. I understand your point but I bring my own washcloths even when staying overnight at my in laws and most especially at hotels and such!! Something about a washcloth is just a little too "personal" for me to share with strangers :eek: (silly I know, but that definately makes my list...actually, it stays packed in my travel bag so doesn't even need to be on a list for me)

Best thread ever! I do have a question, hope I'm not repeating another one. We are going on a TA and Baltic cruise for 27 days and leaving out of FLL. We have booked a hotel room and transfers thru Princess and are flying in the day before to "shop". My question is if Princess picks up bags at hotel and transports to ship is there a problem with water and soda? Just wondering how much room they have. Is there a limit on how many carry ons you take thru check-in? Have never packed for this long before:O

what you are bringing...or thinking of bringing....

yesterday I tossed a bunch of stuff off my pile I am sorting out...because I want to make sure my clothes are comfortable...

I could not find an evening bag I always use....so I figured- I might just hit the 10$ shop on the cruise...but I just found it!!

Bernadette

as a newbie to cruising i have to ask the question is it worth bringing cases of water and soda onboard? we will be sailing from beijing and see this as a bit of a hassle .... i have read so many threads of people bringing on water .... am i going to have to go in search of a stock before i board? sorry to ask such a dumb question, just wouldnt have been on my packing list

Keep this in mind about water on board cruise ships: all the water used for fountain pop, all the ice and all the water used in the process of preparing food is all made and/or treated on board. Cruise ships have very sophisticated water treatment systems which are constantly monitored and tested.

I have actually enjoyed the taste of the tap water on board the cruises I have been on and wouldn't even consider the hassle of bringing on bottled water. The water on board the ship is definitely cleaner and safer than most water sources in some countries and is potentially cleaner and safer than the water in some U.S. cities.

just the last cruise cause I was paying for 6 people...hahahhaa & I liked making sure the "kids" had water bottles...for hot Carribbean excursion days

My trip in Europe, I'm just bringing empty water bottle to refill...

ship water is very clean....and might just buy a bottle or two in Venice for excursions in Turkey...

Since it will be s hot and humid, I am bringing Gator Ade mix as I am prone to low blood sugar issues..

I always drank ship water with meals...

Bernaddete

• 3 weeks later...