***** Oil Prices ******

Woobstr112G

This is good news. However, I note it is from a December 2008 news announcement. If the information is still correct, the following needs to be changed:

This time round, "Princess reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if the fare has already been paid in full."

I think they are just trying to be brief in their wording. All passengers will pay up to $9. They just didn't break it down to say some will pay this and some will pay that. Sure, it could be confused to mean that all passengers will pay the same amount, but the actual policy is at that link I posted above, and the short versions are what are posted on the individual lines' websites. When the info changes, they will update that page. Until then, it stands even though it's been the same for almost 6 months.

Rest assured, the charges are for 14 days per voyage maximum, regardless how many days the voyage happens to be, and the passengers beyond the first 2 in the cabin pay $4, not $9.

As of today -

$66.24 a barrel in Europe

Here in the states

Crude Oil $65.71

:eek:

Princess reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if the fare has already been paid in full.

Now they are "reserving" the right to charge the supplement up front, they can now impose this at any time without further notice.

As of today -

$66.24 a barrel in Europe

Here in the states

Crude Oil $65.71

:eek:

Princess reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if the fare has already been paid in full.

Now they are "reserving" the right to charge the supplement up front, they can now impose this at any time without further notice.

It's changing by the second.

Crude prices hit a six-month high above $66 per barrel Friday morning, following another drop in U.S. inventories and OPEC's decision to leave production unchanged.

We will be well over $70 in no time. It is summer and oil prices always seem to go up in summer.

On Royal there was a set date. If it was $70 on December 18th (or something close to that) any cruise in the first quarter of the upcoming year had a supplement. If it was below $70 on that day you were in the clear.

Our cruise is in October so I guess I am expecting a supplement at this point. Gar here went from around 2.40-2.45 Memorial weekend to 2.79 today. What a rip.

On the good side, oil rising helped the Canadian dollar. I just did final payment for my August cruise, and I just did the math based on the exchange rate when I booked in March to now, and I saved just over $500. Even if I do end up with a fuel surcharge, it will only be a little more than half of that amount, and my onboard expenses will end up costing me less on top of that.

But in the longer term, the higher dollar isn't good for the economy, so it can fall back anytime now that my final payment is in LOL.

I called Princess today to verify when they would decide. I was told they wouldn't know anything or make a decision until it had actually hit $70 a barrel. Here's hoping it's after we sail on the 18th.

I wish they would say yay or nay and go with it. I hate not knowing since I try to budget down to the last penny, I guess I'll just add 150.00 and go with it so I don't worry about it anymore.:D

Best thing to do is budget for the worst. If you get hit for less, I am sure you will find something to do with the extra.

With the volatility of oil prices, IMHO the cruise lines (like government fees and taxes) should just add the fuel surcharge upfront and if it is not needed reimburse as an OBC. Maybe? Maybe not? What do you think? Might save a little grief in the long run..

Was reading the other day OPEC said the world economy is much better now and can easily support 75-80 oil and it would would actually be a good thing for consumers and oil producers, what a crock of dog poop.

With the volatility of oil prices, IMHO the cruise lines (like government fees and taxes) should just add the fuel surcharge upfront and if it is not needed reimburse as an OBC. Maybe? Maybe not? What do you think? Might save a little grief in the long run..

Cruse lines like to keep the upfront cost as low as possible so it "looks" cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived