***** Oil Prices ******

Woobstr112G

They'll probably assess the fuel charge to new bookings of a certain date and beyond and anyone who booked prior to this date will be okay.

We'll see! :rolleyes:

Actually the fuel supplement info section says "Princess reserves the right to increase the fuel supplement and collect the fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the fare has already been paid in full." I think that's pretty specific. Besides, it would make no sense to impose a full surcharge on new bookings unless the price of oil, at the time of SAILING, is above $70. It would totally unfair to let someone sail when oil is $70+ a barrel and not have THEM pay the supplement. The whole point is that the CL is offsetting the fuel costs *at the time of sailing*.

When I click on the link given by Toto above I get the following message

"The Fuel Supplement does not apply to UK passengers"

Have done a screen capture of that page in case it is needed for future reference!!!

Also I have checked through my Cruise Answer Book and there is no mention of fuel surcharges there either .

For general information - my husband works on the oil markets in London and we were discussing this issue tonight. He said that presently worldwide stocks of all types of oil are being held at high levels, tanks are full and there are hundreds of tankers worldwide full to the brim holding traded stocks. This is pushing the price up and traders are hoping to hold it artificially high to get higher returns.

There is no problem with supply. Once the "driving season" starts in earnest stocks will get used and the price will fall. His words, not mine - so don't quote me on it LOL!!!

Karen

I'm within that 30 day window for the oil prices to possibly cause a fuel surcharge right now and hoping that it doesn't happen, but am kind of resigned to it actually happening. If it does, I'll pay the extra money and still have a great cruise. If it doesn't, I'll consider myself lucky and save the $63 and expect to pay it next year. We leave June 8th, so if it manages to stay below $70 through June 3rd we will squeak by without paying the surcharge.

We had booked this cruisetour before they came out with the 2 for 1 pricing and I was willing to pay a much higher price than I ended up paying, so I guess I can't complain about a $63 fuel surcharge.

Actually the fuel supplement info section says "Princess reserves the right to increase the fuel supplement and collect the fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the fare has already been paid in full." I think that's pretty specific. Besides, it would make no sense to impose a full surcharge on new bookings unless the price of oil, at the time of SAILING, is above $70. It would totally unfair to let someone sail when oil is $70+ a barrel and not have THEM pay the supplement. The whole point is that the CL is offsetting the fuel costs *at the time of sailing*.

Connie: Thanks for the information....it's still not a deal breaker for me.....Cruising is a great deal and, I'm truly looking forward to seeing Alaska.

I budgeted forthe fuel surcharge and if it does not happen...I have that money to spend...if it does...It is in my budget and no massage..:(...But I can assure you..it will not ruin my cruise...I know there are some peeps on a tight budget...I am one of those, but not knowing...I put it in my budget......:):)

When I click on the link given by Toto above I get the following message

"The Fuel Supplement does not apply to UK passengers" .

Perhaps this is because the fuel surcharge is considered part of the already higher price charged to UK passengers. :eek:

For general information - my husband works on the oil markets in London and we were discussing this issue tonight. He said that presently worldwide stocks of all types of oil are being held at high levels, tanks are full and there are hundreds of tankers worldwide full to the brim holding traded stocks. This is pushing the price up and traders are hoping to hold it artificially high to get higher returns.

There is no problem with supply. Once the "driving season" starts in earnest stocks will get used and the price will fall. His words, not mine - so don't quote me on it LOL!!!.

Karen, tell your hubby that I won't hold you responsible, but that I am counting on HIM to know the markets. :D

I'm within that 30 day window for the oil prices to possibly cause a fuel surcharge right now and hoping that it doesn't happen, but am kind of resigned to it actually happening.

Just so we are clear, there is nothing in the current reinstatement policy about a 30 day window. (See post 21 above for exact text) I believe you are thinking about last year's rules....and this year's appear to be different. Princess has not said how or when or by what formula they will apply the surcharge, just that they can if the price exceeds $70.

Thanks Cheryl.

I am mystified why the Princess page says the supplements do not apply to UK passengers as we did have the supplement there when we booked and it was well over £200, this was later removed.

Will keep a watch on the situation and take a look on the UK site now.

Have looked and no specific mention anywhere that I can see!

Karen

Just so we are clear, there is nothing in the current reinstatement policy about a 30 day window. (See post 21 above for exact text) I believe you are thinking about last year's rules....and this year's appear to be different. Princess has not said how or when or by what formula they will apply the surcharge, just that they can if the price exceeds $70.

I have to agree. People are getting the refund policy from late last year mixed up with the fuel supplement. Last year, the charge wasn't added if oil went above $70. Oil was already well above that when the fuel supplements were introduced in the fall of 2007. It was when oil was coming back down last fall and Princess introduced the refund program where oil had to stay below $70 for that specified number of trading days to earn a credit on the surcharge.

They are being intentionally vague on it now so they don't get boxed in on their own rules.

And they wonder why many people are no longer booking a long time ahead, like they used to.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Now we book last minute so we know what money we are committed for. We used to just have to worry about fluctuating exchange rates, now we have to worry about the introduction of daily pp fuel surcharges, when the cost of oil reaches a certain amount.

Kind of funny but here in the great State of New York we face surcharges, fees, increases, etc. EVERYDAY!! They never reduce, never go away- so if you are going to get bent over a small increase, please stay home. Car Insurance, groceries, alcohol, cigarettes- they all increase, as do the taxes and fees associated with them. Sure, many of them are user fees, but so is a fuel surcharge.

hmmm...I wonder if that was what those guys back in Boston were thinking 236 years ago. Yeah, not the same situation, but I don't think they thought it was OK to just roll over and take it. (with all due respect to our friends across the pond)

...Once bitten, twice shy. Now we book last minute so we know what money we are committed for...
even so, there is nothing in the current policy that says you know your committed funds when booking last minute. Theoretically they could impose a fuel surcharge at any time up to and including the last day of a cruise if the price is above $70. Not saying they will, just that booking last minute does not guarantee you "that is all you pay". (Although it does narrow down the probabilities to a smaller time window).

even so, there is nothing in the current policy that says you know your committed funds when booking last minute. Theoretically they could impose a fuel surcharge at any time up to and including the last day of a cruise if the price is above $70. Not saying they will, just that booking last minute does not guarantee you "that is all you pay". (Although it does narrow down the probabilities to a smaller time window).

No, the surcharge has to be imposed "prior to sailing".

No, the surcharge has to be imposed "prior to sailing".
Can you tell me where you find that limitation? While I agree it more likely than not that Princess will set some sort of formula or plan for assessing the surcharge (if it becomes necessary) and that it is probable that they will logistically decide to do it prior to sailing dates, I see absolutely nothing on my booking confirmation or the contract that says it has to be done prior to sailing. The exact words they use are "Princess reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if the fare has already been paid in full."

Can you tell me where you find that limitation? While I agree it more likely than not that Princess will set some sort of formula or plan for assessing the surcharge (if it becomes necessary) and that it is probable that they will logistically decide to do it prior to sailing dates, I see absolutely nothing on my booking confirmation or the contract that says it has to be done prior to sailing. The exact words they use are "Princess reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if the fare has already been paid in full."

I agree that nothing says it *has* to be done before sailing but the published statement is "Princess reserves the right to increase the fuel supplement and collect the fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the fare has already been paid in full." One interpretation of that would be that the fuel supplement would be imposed before sailing. Although, since it says at the time of sailing, that could also include days while still on the cruise. I would think that if they meant *before* the cruise sails they would've said something like prior to sailing or immediately before sailing. Who knows :rolleyes:.

One thing that is clear is that they've had the legal dept. look this over and I'm sure the wording gives the CL flexibility to impose the supplement in a way that is benefical to the CL.

The language was quoted by a poster earlier in this thread.

There would be numerous "issues" if a cruise line tried to impose surcharges after passengers boarded.

The language was quoted by a poster earlier in this thread. There would be numerous "issues" if a cruise line tried to impose surcharges after passengers boarded.
None of the earlier postings in this thread say "prior to sailing". I just wanted to know if you had access to or knowledge of something different than what has already been posted.

OH MY! You think the cruisers were angry about the cancellations of Mexcian ports (even when receiving a 50% cruise credit towards their next cruise), just wait until the fuel surcharge is reinstated. :eek::eek:

Think of all those that booked the 2 for 1 Alaskan cruises for this summer only because they were unbelievably cheap. This will cause a stir like you have never seen before, even though there has been plenty of warning from Princess for a very long time that this was possible in the future.

I don't even want to guess how many posts will be screaming 'no fair' when this does happen, it isn't going to be a pretty sight, that's for sure. ARGH!

I'm one of the 2 for 1 Alaska cruisers. You won't hear a peep out of me if it goes into affect. Even with the $126 added I'll still be cruising for less than $1000 total for a week. :)

Bill

None of the earlier postings in this thread say "prior to sailing". I just wanted to know if you had access to or knowledge of something different than what has already been posted.

Not true.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19602366&postcount=27

I didn't take the time to verify the posted information but it makes sense. I don't know what the deadline is for adding a fuel surcharge. I'll speculate it's the date the final information is transferred to the ship (5 days before the cruise?)

The wording says, "up to $9 day". That doesn't mean it will automatically go up $9 per person, per day the minute a barrel of oil goes over the $70 mark.

They could re-instate a $2 per person, per day charge. It's at their discretion how much they raise it. Frankly, I know of a lot of people that will cancel their cruises if they do reinstate the fuel surcharge.

I'll speculate it's the date the final information is transferred to the ship (5 days before the cruise?)
That's a reasonable guess, as are some of the others bandied about on these boards. I don't think they would go so far as to instill a charge on the last day of the cruise even though the contract language theoretically still would allow it; nor do I think they will impose it as far out as final payment. Based on past leadtimes, they had a one-week prior to departure cut off. Your guess is closest to that.

I would find it hard to believe that Princess would impose a fuel surcharge to passengers whose cruise has already begun. Seems like that would be a PR nightmare for the staff on the ship. However, it does make sense they would impose the surcharge for all upcoming cruises once the decision is made to do so. I'm leaving June 3, so here's to hoping we stay below $70 for a few more weeks at least!

Crude oil continued on its tear, rising $1.28 to $61.38 a barrel this afternoon.

Oil, which is now trading under the July contract, rose after a report from the Energy Information Administration showed a decline of 2.1 million barrels of crude oil in the week ended May 15. Analysts had expected a gain of 1.5 million barrels. Gasoline inventories fell by 4.3 million barrels, and distillate supplies rose by 600,000 barrels last week.

Oil climbs to 6-month high

Archived