***** Oil Prices ******

Woobstr112G

I hate to see it, but at least time you knew about it in advance. It has been well publicized. They have raised the surcharge to $9.00/day and I have not seen anything about a maximum.

I hate to see it, but at least time you knew about it in advance. It has been well publicized. They have raised the surcharge to $9.00/day and I have not seen anything about a maximum.

Good point....I totally agree about we all know it's coming.....:(

Bob

So even if it goes to $70.01 for just one day we could get the charge reinstated?

K

Not sure of their policy specifics, just going by what they state on their website....I've resigned myself to paying it. It is a real downer, but after paying a substantial amount for the cruise, I'm not gonna dwell on the extra money.

Bob

It says they "reserve the right to reinstate" a fuel surcharge. It doesn't say anything about $70.01 and we all cough up another $9/day. I read it as a warning that it could be reinstated.:confused: Maybe I am looking in the wrong place????

Janet

Their policy says they may add the surcharge of up to $9 per person per day (for the first 2 in the cabin). It's not an automatic certainty that the charge gets put back in if oil goes above $70 for a day or even a few days. And we don't know how far in advance of the cruise it would have to do this, since they didn't specify that either.

OH MY! You think the cruisers were angry about the cancellations of Mexcian ports (even when receiving a 50% cruise credit towards their next cruise), just wait until the fuel surcharge is reinstated. :eek::eek:

Think of all those that booked the 2 for 1 Alaskan cruises for this summer only because they were unbelievably cheap. This will cause a stir like you have never seen before, even though there has been plenty of warning from Princess for a very long time that this was possible in the future.

I don't even want to guess how many posts will be screaming 'no fair' when this does happen, it isn't going to be a pretty sight, that's for sure. ARGH!

OH MY! You think the cruisers were angry about the cancellations of Mexcian ports (even when receiving a 50% cruise credit towards their next cruise), just wait until the fuel surcharge is reinstated. :eek::eek:

Think of all those that booked the 2 for 1 Alaskan cruises for this summer only because they were unbelievably cheap. This will cause a stir like you have never seen before, even though there has been plenty of warning from Princess for a very long time that this was possible in the future.

I don't even want to guess how many posts will be screaming 'no fair' when this does happen, it isn't going to be a pretty sight, that's for sure. ARGH!

....but the sky will fall if we have to pay the surcharge they said we might have to pay.

Where exactly would a new Princess cruiser find this information re the fuel surcharge? Just curious?

As stated in other threads, only 1% of Princess cruisers are CCers - so I wonder how the "general Princess cruiser" would find the information?

The UK brochures I have just been looking at say that "Certain surcharges may or may not be applied"!!

K

I don't remember exactly how it worked last year, but if I remember correctly if crude went above $70.00 for only one day you paid the surcharge for the entire cruise. If it fell under $70.00 for ex number of days it was discontinued. Of course this was all prior to sailing.

Anyone have a better memory?

....but the sky will fall if we have to pay the surcharge they said we might have to pay.

Ya Think? ;)

Where exactly would a new Princess cruiser find this information re the fuel surcharge? Just curious?

As stated in other threads, only 1% of Princess cruisers are CCers - so I wonder how the "general Princess cruiser" would find the information?

The UK brochures I have just been looking at say that "Certain surcharges may or may not be applied"!!

K

Princess will contact those that booked direct when this happens, and TA's will be the bearer of bad news to the rest.

K

The surcharge announcements are on Princess.com.

I know that we were notified of the fuel surchage before I found CC. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was in our cruise book we got from our TA. I know those books are on-line at Princess but I'm not finding it on-line & I don't have the book in front of me here at work. I'll do some more digging to pinpoint where I saw it.

ETA: Found it on p. 118 of Alaska 2009 cruise book:

Fuel Supplement: A fuel supplement may be imposed on all passengers and is subject to change. At the time of printing, a fuel supplement of $9 per person, per day for a maximum of $126 per person in addition to the fares for first and second berths, and a fuel supplement of $4 per person, per day for a maximum of $56 per person for third and fourth berths will be imposed. Princess reserves the right to increase the fule supplement and collect the fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the fare has already been paid in full.

I know I saw the $70/barrel somewhere else but it's not in the book, nor is the information on the time frame prior to the cruise to imposing the fee.

I just now finished booking our cruise for this November. Sure glad I got an excellent price ! As long as I'm cruising I'm not going to complain about the fuel surcharge. We paid it last year and now probably will pay it again.

Here's the direct quote from the Princess website:

As fuel prices continue to decline, Carnival Corporation has announced that it will suspend fuel supplements for its six North American brands, including Princess Cruises, for all voyages departing on or after December 17, 2008.

For these sailings, a refund of the fuel supplement will be made in the form of a shipboard credit for all bookings within the final payment period. All bookings outside of the final payment period will be adjusted to remove the fuel supplement, and passengers will be provided with a revised final payment amount.

The company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all passengers at up to $9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel even if the fare has already been paid in full.

I just now finished booking our cruise for this November. Sure glad I got an excellent price ! As long as I'm cruising I'm not going to complain about the fuel surcharge. We paid it last year and now probably will pay it again.

That's the right attitude, wish everyone had it.

Kind of funny but here in the great State of New York we face surcharges, fees, increases, etc. EVERYDAY!! They never reduce, never go away- so if you are going to get bent over a small increase, please stay home. Car Insurance, groceries, alcohol, cigarettes- they all increase, as do the taxes and fees associated with them. Sure, many of them are user fees, but so is a fuel surcharge. Princess and others do have a business to run, fuel is not free, so please give them a break- they do not set the prices of fuel, those prices are set by outside sources. Please enjoy your cruise, you have earned it- smile and have a nice cold beverage!!:D

Here, from Princess wherever prices are shown:

Please note that prices are listed per person, non-air cruise-only and based on double occupancy and do not include Government Fees and Taxes which are subject to change. Princess reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement of up to $9 per person per day on all passengers if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $70 per barrel, even if the fare has already been paid in full. Prices are subject to change based on availability. Prices shown in USD.

Anyone who would kick and scream about it, should it happen, simply doesn't read the "rules" before plopping down their $$$.

People can't say they were not informed. It is on the bottom of my Booking Confirmation. I knew it was possible (maybe even probable) we would have to pay it from the get go. They way I look at it is we still got a great deal on a cruise to Alaska. If finances are so tight that $126.00 is a deal breaker I quess a person would have to give up a few Hot Toddy's or Mojitos. Darn!:(;)

Kind of funny but here in the great State of New York we face surcharges, fees, increases, etc. EVERYDAY!! They never reduce, never go away- so if you are going to get bent over a small increase, please stay home. Car Insurance, groceries, alcohol, cigarettes- they all increase, as do the taxes and fees associated with them. Sure, many of them are user fees, but so is a fuel surcharge. Princess and others do have a business to run, fuel is not free, so please give them a break- they do not set the prices of fuel, those prices are set by outside sources. Please enjoy your cruise, you have earned it- smile and have a nice cold beverage!!:D

Good point................... :)

Bob

People can't say they were not informed. It is on the bottom of my Booking Confirmation. I knew it was possible (maybe even probable) we would have to pay it from the get go. They way I look at it is we still got a great deal on a cruise to Alaska. If finances are so tight that $126.00 is a deal breaker I quess a person would have to give up a few Hot Toddy's or Mojitos. Darn!:(;)

I was just making an observation about the price of oil. I've spent almost 20K so far on this cruise so and extra $100 or so dollars is no deal breaker.....

Take Care All

Bob

I was just making an observation about the price of oil. I've spent almost 20K so far on this cruise so and extra $100 or so dollars is no deal breaker.....

Take Care All

Bob

You should be so thankful that you can afford to spend that amount of money on your cruise, and like you said what's an extra $100 or so dollars. To some cruisers it just might be a deal breaker.

Archived