Aloe - medicinal varieties?

Is the Aloe Vera gel fairly standard stuff, or are some types better than others to promote healing? Generics as good as name brands?

No sun-burn yet, but going on a cruise to the Caribbean, and I remember so many people with bright red backs by the end of the first day.

Just want to be prepared.

Kathy

They're all basically the same....I, too, like the one with the menthol---it's just nice and "cooling"....

The best thing is NOT to burn!!!!! Use your sunscreen....the sun in the Caribbean is MUCH stronger than anything in the States!

The absolute best is finding an aloe plant and cutting off one of the stalks. Peel back the green outside and gently apply the natural gel that is on the inside of the plant. Wrap the end of the stalk in some plastic and keep cool in the mini fridge or ice bucket.

This is a old time remedy used in Hawaii. Doesn't smell that good, but works great.

The absolute best is finding an aloe plant and cutting off one of the stalks. Peel back the green outside and gently apply the natural gel that is on the inside of the plant. Wrap the end of the stalk in some plastic and keep cool in the mini fridge or ice bucket.

This is a old time remedy used in Hawaii. Doesn't smell that good, but works great.

Correct on both counts!

There are sifferent varieties, but only the best medicinal ones are grown commercially. Most of the ones around homes are too.

Correct on both counts!

There are sifferent varieties, but only the best medicinal ones are grown commercially. Most of the ones around homes are too.

I can attest to the powers of fresh aloe. DH badly burned the very tender underside of his arm on the exhaust pipe of one of our semi trucks. It was nasty. He should have gone to the doctor, it was that bad. Our neighbor grabbed a large stalk of aloe growing in our front yard (I thought it was just a "junky" plant in among the cactus). She applied it direct to his burn and I kept applying it for about 4 days. It healed REALLY fast and you can't even tell he was burned 8 months later. Truly a miracle plant and now it gets tended in my yard as well as the "specimen" cacti.

Be very, very careful getting an aloe with lidocain to use on a sunburn. I had a horrible reaction to the combination on a sunburn in Hawaii one time. The burn was on my back (obviously). I ended up with a burning rash that got so bad my DH had to take me to the ER. A couple of spots ulcerated and required further treatment once we were home. That's when I decided that wearing a snug shirt with UV protection is a good idea for snorkeling. I got enough sunburns as a kid in the '60s that I'm already concerned about damage and cancer; I'd rather not add to the risk. Waterproof, 30-45 SPF sunscreen, applied more than once during the day, is how I enjoy the sun now. Our doctor (and the one in Hawaii) mentioned that a significant percentage of people who are not sensitive to either aloe or lidocain do react to the combination gels/lotions when they are used on a sunburn. I think the doctor in Hawaii said something like 30%. I had no idea. These days, I stick to plain, unscented, uncolored aloe gel for after sun/swimming and to mix in with my daily body lotion, which I've been doing for years.

For kitchen burns, I've also used fresh aloe right from the plant in our front yard. Works very well, even though I'm sure that it's not one of the best medicinal ones.

beachchick

We purchased some aloe jell at the Aloe factory in Aruba in January which evidently is availabel in select shops in the US. We found the product to be very effective but doesn't replace good old sunscreen as the first line of defence.:)

Beachchick - Thanks for the heads-up! I never would have thought the combination would react that way. I've gotten allergic reactions to perfume, makeup, laundry detergents, etc, so I'll be careful.

And of course we'll use sunscreen - it's just that I'd rather be prepared in case someone misses the top of their foot, or their ears. We're in Colorado - so we're 5000 feet closer to the sun than most places. We're used to sunscreen.

Mixing aloe with body lotion - that sounds nice! We'll have to try that.

Thanks,

Kathy

I bought some generic Walgreens brand Aloe and thought it was no better than water, I literally threw it away. I replaced it with a container from the brand Jason which is a cream with 84% Aloe. Expensive, but good stuff.

I heartily agree with previous posters, prevent burns by using sunscreen and limiting your time in direct sun expecially mid-day when the sun is the strongest.

I never go anywhere without sunscreen and often offer it to complete strangers that look like they are getting a bit pink. I'm sure people think I'm weird buy my mother has had lots of skin cancer removed over they years and the last time her skin graft didn't take, so she is now missing the tip of her nose. :(

At Publix, our main grocery store in FLA, you can buy a gigantic (I mean, gigantic) leaf in the produce section for 1.99. Once in Barbados I had a massage on the beach and the guy used that very same kind of leaf for the massage.

If you live in an area with a South American, Asian, or Carribean grocery store you can probably find one there. They also sell aloe-vera gel in those stores that I find far superior than the quality you buy in the USA. It's usually fairly inexpensive, too.

I have the blue stuff you are talking about. I buy mine at Walgreens on the cheap and put it in the fridge when I have visitor from up north who overdo it with the sun.

Like someone said, don't PLAN on getting a sunburn. Use a lot of protection. When I came back from a trip to Brazil once I had a gigantic freckle on my lip that they thought was cancerous and I had it removed. It just popped out overnight it seemed. I learned how important it is to NOT get a sunburn.

Prevention, prevention, prevention!

Beachchick - Thanks for the heads-up! I never would have thought the combination would react that way. I've gotten allergic reactions to perfume, makeup, laundry detergents, etc, so I'll be careful.

And of course we'll use sunscreen - it's just that I'd rather be prepared in case someone misses the top of their foot, or their ears. We're in Colorado - so we're 5000 feet closer to the sun than most places. We're used to sunscreen.

Thanks,

Kathy

It's always best to apply sunscreen before leaving your cabin. Take your time, get every square inch of your body and help each other with your backs. I also reapply often where my clothing rubs against the skin, the edge of a shirt or a bathing suit.

Reapply every two hours or after toweling off, even if the sunscreen is labeled waterproof it isn't rub proof.

A sunburn is a horrible way to spend a nice vacation :( It's one item we never skimp on or try to get by with travel sizes. At least one full sized bottle per person per week, more can be purchased onboard or in port towns.

And....don't forget your head and the tops of your ears, either! There are special sunscreens made for hair and scalp. My hair looks horrid at the beach/pool no matter what, so I just wet it down, slather on some conditioner and sunscreen on my part and clip it all down, followed by a hat.

I was so surprised when the doctors told me about it. It was not something I'd want anyone to have to go through. My DH took some pix of my back in its full "bloom" to show our doctor at home. I have to admit that it was pretty ugly.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was "lecturing." I'm afraid that I've become a bit of a nag on the subject because my DH has already had two small, superficial squamous cell lesions removed from his nose. One time about 25 years ago, my DH forgot to sunscreen the top of his hands before snorkeling. He was so miserable the next few days--and never forgot all those often overlooked places again.

It is so soothing and it "lightens" up some of the heavier lotions. I got hooked years ago and can't imagine not using it now.

Thanks,

Kathy

Have a wonderful time!

I bought some generic Walgreens brand Aloe and thought it was no better than water, I literally threw it away. I replaced it with a container from the brand Jason which is a cream with 84% Aloe. Expensive, but good stuff.

I heartily agree with previous posters, prevent burns by using sunscreen and limiting your time in direct sun expecially mid-day when the sun is the strongest.

I never go anywhere without sunscreen and often offer it to complete strangers that look like they are getting a bit pink. I'm sure people think I'm weird buy my mother has had lots of skin cancer removed over they years and the last time her skin graft didn't take, so she is now missing the tip of her nose. :(

Ick! Thanks for the heads up. I like 100% aloe from Fruit of the Earth because of its consistent quality and the fact that it has no perfumes, dyes, etc. Hint for anyone interested: They usually have a "family size" promotion in the summer where you get twice as much for the price of a regular bottle.

I wouldn't think you are weird at all. I haven't done that, but I have offered many a mom an individual hand wipe when their youngster needed a clean up. I guess some things about being a mom never change--like having "the mom purse" with all the necessary stuff in it.

beachchick

And....don't forget your head and the tops of your ears, either! There are special sunscreens made for hair and scalp. My hair looks horrid at the beach/pool no matter what, so I just wet it down, slather on some conditioner and sunscreen on my part and clip it all down, followed by a hat.

Any kind best for the scalp? I have thick hair, but I do burn in my part. I try to wear a hat, but it's tough when it's windy. I picked up one of those things that look like a big glue-stick last year. Worked ok, but was my hair ever greasy when I washed it!

Kathy

While this may not be helpful pre-cruise, you might consider picking some up if you are stopping in Aruba or Curacao:

http://www.aloecuracao.com/

http://www.arubaaloe.com/index.cfm

The Burn Aid Gel from Aruba Aloe and the Aloe Pure Gel 98% from Aloe Curacao both are excellent products. Buy some to take home with you.

Their's is the best.

Archived