Kids in separate cabin

I know this has been asked before and have searched this forum for recent guidance about the current RCI policies. We booked 2 adults and 3 teenagers in two rooms making the reservations with one adult in each room. For those that are clairvoyant you probably guessed we want the adults in one cabin and the kids in another. I asked the travel agent on two different occasions about our intentions and referenced the following thread. Both times I was told this was fine as long as both our rooms were on the same deck. Our rooms are and are about 18 cabins apart on the same side of the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=988456 So far so good.

Today I talked to the agent again and they talked to RCI and were told they are cracking down on this practice and we might have to have an adult in each room. The agent told me not to worry about this unless someone complains. At this point we will proceed as we intended and reiterate to the teenagers to behave.

Wanted to ask the forum if anyone else had experienced RCI changing their policy on this. After reading these posts for years I am fully aware of what a well oiled machine their customer service agents can be. I’m not really sweating this yet, just figuring it’s one of the RCI agents going rouge. Thanks for your inputs.

I know this has been asked before and have searched this forum for recent guidance about the current RCI policies. We booked 2 adults and 3 teenagers in two rooms making the reservations with one adult in each room. For those that are clairvoyant you probably guessed we want the adults in one cabin and the kids in another. I asked the travel agent on two different occasions about our intentions and referenced the following thread. Both times I was told this was fine as long as both our rooms were on the same deck. Our rooms are and are about 18 cabins apart on the same side of the ship.

Today I talked to the agent again and they talked to RCI and were told they are cracking down on this practice and we might have to have an adult in each room. The agent told me not to worry about this unless someone complains. At this point we will proceed as we intended and reiterate to the teenagers to behave.

Wanted to ask the forum if anyone else had experienced RCI changing their policy on this. After reading these posts for years I am fully aware of what a well oiled machine their customer service agents can be. I’m not really sweating this yet, just figuring it’s one of the RCI agents going rouge. Thanks for your inputs.

It is true that they are limiting what they allow, and 18 cabins apart is "too far" to officially switch anyone.

You will have to keep the five NAMES where they are, and those are the accounts that will show on each TV and each cabin's accounts. You can, however, still go to Guest Relations and ask for extra key cards for each cabin, and then the five of you can sleep wherever you wish.

The ones who are actually switching will have to keep track of two cards, one for charging and leaving and returning to the ship, and one for opening the cabin door.

Our kids are always much closer, usually next door or across the hall. When we change out the keys at Guest Relations after boarding, we always get a blank key to their cabin so we can enter at any time.

Lay down the law in advance and let your kids know what will be expected of them and the consequences if not. I believe children are capable of handling responsibilities, period. The only time they don't is if they have parents who don't hold up their end of the bargain...as in followed through discipline with no empty threats.

While I don't know of any firm rule that they won't exchange your keys, there is no way they would know who is sleeping in which cabin at night. As long as your kids don't give anyone an opportunity to complain, everything should be fine.

I must add that you and the other adult are totally, utterly, absolutely responsible for the behavior of the three teens.

As long as there are no problems, and RC doesn't have to "deal" with anything as a result of their actions, your cabin arrangements will be fine.

If, however, there *is* a problems, RC CAN come down very hard on you for not having an adult in each cabin.

I thought you could put them in their own rooms as long as it's next to or directly across from the parents cabin. At least that's what I was told when I did my res. Agree with MM 18 cabins apart is kind of far and I'll probably me waking up every hour to check on them unless one of them is at least 18 then maybe no worries. But I would call them back and ask for a cabin across from yours for the teens so you can keep a close eye on them and not have to worry so much. Have fun on your cruise!

With 18 cabins down the hall I would think that an official change onboard might not be the way to go.

As long as you (or probably more your kids) won´t give them a reason to check they won´t check who sleeps where. Now of course if the kids would start a party in their room at night with complaints from the neighbours, security might come and check. The consequences for being busted then could be harsh.

We booked our cruise last month taking all three of our kids (9, 13 and 14). We specifically told the RCI agent we intended to put the kids across the hall from us, and he never indicated it would be any problem whatsoever.

As long as your kids don't cause anyone to complain, I really don't think you will have any issues.

Something to consider is that with the non-combining of benefits, it may be to your advantage to put one adult in each room so that they can each get a particular discount such as shareholder, balcony, etc.

"Officially" the policy is that kids in their own cabin must be either directly across or adjacent to your cabin. I am sure that you aren't going to have the ship police check each evening to see if there is an adult in the cabin or not if they are several cabins apart....but IMO 18 cabins away....you have no control and no idea what they are doing.

If any of those teens aren't yours....be cautious. My daughter who is 14 decided she wanted a friend on our last cruise....so we agreed and put them in a cabin across the hall....well I guess you don't know someone till you live/stay with them. The girl wanted to sneak out late at night to go meet boys....my daughter is very responsible and KNOWS how I am with something like and what would have been the punishment if they were caught......they ended up arguing about it with each other since my daughter wouldn't let her go.....long story short my daughter did the right thing and came to my wife and I to sit down and have a talk with her.....however if you are 18 cabins away you have no idea anything is going on.

It used to be that if the kids cabin could be seen from your cabin door, then you were OK, that has changed and they now have to be next to or accross the hall from. I tired to book with the kids 3 doors down and they would not let me, had to change decks to find a suitable combination

I agree with Merion mom - just go to guest relations ask for duplicate keys. Really no problem - they don't even question it. Our kids are always in their own cabin. The duplicate key will only open the door. It will have no charging privledges, soda stickers or ID. Someone will have to carry 2 cards.

Another good tip: Guest relations will punch holes in the cards so they can be put on lanyards. We have retractable ID holders the kids would clip onto their shorts - not as obvious as a lanyard LOL and they've never lost a card yet.

Have a great cruise!

~Connie

I would say the 18 cabins away is a bit far to have the kids officially booked in a cabin by themselves. On our next cruise our kids are across the hall and had no troubles booking them on their own.

I would have the TA call and see if they can get you any closer together unless one of you has a cabin that you really want, it may be easier in the long run to switch.

You don't have to go to guest relations for additional keys. They don't care who sleeps where--it's for booking purposes only! When you check-in, just tell them who needs keys for what room....get it right from the start!

Think about it...what about families that need MORE than 2 rooms...and there are only 2 parents? As long as responsible adults are on the cruise with the kids, they don't care what room anyone is in.

Kids now have to be in the room right next door or right opposite the adults.

RCI are really cracking down on this. If you are not then you may be denied boarding.

They were never allowed to be more than 7 doors away in the past. Sounds like your agent messed up.

Kids now have to be in the room right next door or right opposite the adults.

RCI are really cracking down on this. If you are not then you may be denied boarding.

They were never allowed to be more than 7 doors away in the past. Sounds like your agent messed up.

I don´t think the agent messed up, as there´s an adult booked in each cabin, so all is fine and within RCCL guidelines regarding the booking. The OP asks about changing this setup after boarding.

I would ONLY put the kids in a separate cabin IF it had a connecting door.

I have great kids who are almost always well-behaved, but they are kids. They are tempted to go beyond the boundaries I've set, and they need supervision. When they meet other kids who are allowed essentially unlimited freedom (and we all know there are too many of them onboard), they get the idea that we're too strict and they get the idea that they should be allowed to stay out later, to have strangers in their cabin, or whatever. It's much easier to make sure they're doing what they should be doing if they're just through a door.

If your kids behave no problem. If they don't you will have a problem.

Your kids aren't anyone elses responsibility but yours. If they make noise..bang doors late at night..get rowdy..some other pax (not you) will have to handle it. Not fair at all.:(

I don´t think the agent messed up, as there´s an adult booked in each cabin, so all is fine and within RCCL guidelines regarding the booking. The OP asks about changing this setup after boarding.

Yes, this is what RCCL rep told me when I booked our 3 boys in a separate cabin. She said, "if the cabin was directly next or directly across" then in the system the kids would be listed in their own cabin. If we couldn't find that combination and they were a few doors down then she would have to put an adult in each room."

Like to thank everyone for their inputs. There is some great practical advice and some things I hadn't considered. We will be monitoring them very carefully and while we call them the kids the youngest is a senior in high school and the oldest has been in the Army for 2 years. Unfortunately the guidance is based more on opinion than something more concrete. At the time we booked, they said the rule was on the same deck and on a Voyager class ship that can quite a distance. I'll see if I can find out more once on board without screwing the pooch.

You don't have to go to guest relations for additional keys. They don't care who sleeps where--it's for booking purposes only! When you check-in, just tell them who needs keys for what room....get it right from the start!

Think about it...what about families that need MORE than 2 rooms...and there are only 2 parents? As long as responsible adults are on the cruise with the kids, they don't care what room anyone is in.

Sorry, but yes you do have to go to Guest Relations after boarding. They don't have the facilities to "print" new keys at check in, at least not on any cruise we've been on. The keys are already printed and the desk agent gets them from a box where they are filed alphabetically.

We've been on several cruises with our kids and have never been able to change or obtain different keys at check in. I would love it if they did, it would save the time we've waited in line the first day after boarding.

We are on the LOS June 13. My DS's are 15 & 16. We are in an Aft cabin and the boys are in an interior about 4 cabins down the hall. We plan to get the blank keys and follow the "least said less mended" path and seperate the kids and adults, although we also have the 1 adult/1child on the booking.

My DS's are usually responsible kids, but after reading several posts about teens on board the "misbehaving teen beast" could show itself with any normally good teen. Keeping close tabs while allowing some freedoms is the rule for us. ANY major rule breaking and they get to spend the rest of the cruise in our AFT cabin in the pull down bunk! :eek: My 15yo tends to help keep the 16yo (17 in July) in line at home and in school. The 16yo also has moderate ADD but wears daily patches to help.

I'll report back if there are any problems with the cabin switch!

Jacquelyn :D

Archived