Formal nights on Princess

Cool seas

I know this topic has been mentioned quite a few times on here, but I've looked back through and can't seem to find anything.

We are going on a 14 night cruise so that means 3 formal nights. What will be acceptable to wear for women? Can I wear smart trousers and top, or do I need to wear a dress?

Sorry to open this topic again, but I need to know what to buy!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

first wear what you are happy to wear,

I have seen full ball gowns with so much bling,

as well as simple summer dress that you might wear to go Tesco's.

A lot depends on your baggage allowance, so do not worry.

enjoy frmal nights and your cruise.

yours Shogun

I know this topic has been mentioned quite a few times on here, but I've looked back through and can't seem to find anything.

We are going on a 14 night cruise so that means 3 formal nights. What will be acceptable to wear for women? Can I wear smart trousers and top, or do I need to wear a dress?

Thanks in advance.

A pair of dressy trousers with a glitzy top will be just fine. With the new baggage allowance criteria I often take one pair of dressy trousers with a different top to wear to each formal night. See many others doing the same.

Dianne

If you follow Princess' suggestions, you will feel comfortable that your dress is appropriate.

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Thanks in advance.

you'll be fine regardless of whether that top is "fancy" or just nice ;)

Sometimes it is the ones in the fancy stuff that is scary :eek: :D

First let me say - I am not against those who do no wish to go all out for formal nights. I am also fine with casual clothes anytime. However, on my last 10 Mexico cruise I was a bit taken aback as to the total disregard for dress for dinner.

On our first formal night we were seated next to a table of 8 who showed up in shorts, jeans, flip-flops, baseball caps, and cover-ups over swim-suits. And this was the second seating. It actually looked like an all out attempt to see if they would get kicked out.

Sure, their luggage could have been stolen or dropped in the sea. It did take the edge of the evening for those with tuxes sitting at the tables around them. I was just a bit disappointed that this all out breach of dress was allowed. It does take a bit away from those who not only adhere to the dress code, but actually enjoy the opportunities to dress for dinner that is historic to cruising.

:rolleyes:

Formal means eveningwear....tuxes or dark suits for men, and evening gown or cocktail dress for women. If you elect to wear evening pants, they shouldn't be trousers like you'd wear in the daytime....get something in "evening" material....silk, or something "elegant".

First let me say - I am not against those who do no wish to go all out for formal nights. I am also fine with casual clothes anytime. However, on my last 10 Mexico cruise I was a bit taken aback as to the total disregard for dress for dinner.

On our first formal night we were seated next to a table of 8 who showed up in shorts, jeans, flip-flops, baseball caps, and cover-ups over swim-suits. And this was the second seating. It actually looked like an all out attempt to see if they would get kicked out.

Sure, their luggage could have been stolen or dropped in the sea. It did take the edge of the evening for those with tuxes sitting at the tables around them. I was just a bit disappointed that this all out breach of dress was allowed. It does take a bit away from those who not only adhere to the dress code, but actually enjoy the opportunities to dress for dinner that is historic to cruising.

You make it sound like dressing up meant more to you then the quality of the food. :rolleyes:

Formal means eveningwear....tuxes or dark suits for men, and evening gown or cocktail dress for women. If you elect to wear evening pants, they shouldn't be trousers like you'd wear in the daytime....get something in "evening" material....silk, or something "elegant".

OP is from UK. When she says ``smart trousers'' I do believe she is referring to the same thing as you when you say ``evening pants'' or ``something `elegant' ''.

Dianne

If you elect to wear evening pants, they shouldn't be trousers like you'd wear in the daytime....get something in "evening" material....silk, or something "elegant".
From my observations the nice pants with a fancy top are the evening dress of preference because of the versatility, and to Cool seas question should be very appropriate. Black pants are typical.

Shame on them and shame on the Princess staff who allowed this. Shorts and cover-ups over swimsuits are never allowed by the stated dress code for the formal dining rooms.

I do not think Princess cares about the history.

I assume these people had lost luggage, because as described they would not be seated on casual nights.

This does prove the suit is in the lost luggage is the ticket for casual cruisers.

Thank you for all the advice. I do have a sparkly dress which I plan to wear on one formal night, but as I don't normally wear dresses, I didn't really want to buy another one....:D

Think I'll go for smart trousers/skirt and glitzy top for the other two.

Thanks again.

Princess seems a lot more tolerant of passengers dress than members on this board.

Why does anyone care what someone else is wearing?

It affects the overall atmosphere of a dining establishment.

Oh, not as much as the loud drunk at the next table puking his last few drinks over the Baked Alaska parade (seen that, Do Not Want!), probably more on the level of the salesman on his cell phone at the next table talking about how SAP is going to lose the 11 million dollar Ontario government contract to Oracle care of his mad skills (annoying, but profitable leak...)

Now, the drunk and the salesman didn't see any problem with what they were doing. It was all the other folk's fault for having trouble ignoring them.

The thread inquiry asked about dress on formal nights. I was simply reporting what I saw on a formal night on a recent cruise.

Do I care what people wear - not really within reason. However, if Princess choses to have a dress code it would be nice to have it enforced on occasions such as formal night. The group of travelers near me were really outside the box as far as casual.

I have not been going on cruises for long. However, I rather like the formal nights. Not that I get out the evening gowns - just a nice chance to dress for dinner.

The thread inquiry asked about dress on formal nights. I was simply reporting what I saw on a formal night on a recent cruise.

Do I care what people wear - not really within reason. However, if Princess choses to have a dress code it would be nice to have it enforced on occasions such as formal night. The group of travelers near me were really outside the box as far as casual.

I have not been going on cruises for long. However, I rather like the formal nights. Not that I get out the evening gowns - just a nice chance to dress for dinner.

Perhaps someday they will if they offer another dining option with the same food being served. Until then they'll be people seated on formal nights in all sorts of attire.

How about on the Sea Princess on formal night two ol gals come marching in and sat beside us and one was barefoot!!!No shoes.

Maybe she thought she was at a beach bar?:(I heard her say to her friend she didn't feel like putting shoes on because her feet were sore from walking all day.

So people with lost luggage showed up in traveling clothes. :eek:

Was the all out attempt to be kicked out really just them thoroughly enjoying themselves in spite of their luggage issues?

Would the fashion police prefer people with lost luggage not be allowed to enter the MDR on formal night? Princess has always tried to help people with lost luggage and I suspect Princess is not going to start ruining people with lost luggage vacations now. Especially since the passengers have gotten more and more informal over the years.

Formal dress is part of cruising history. If you wish to dress on formal night great. But the fashion police can not force casual cruisers or people with lost luggage to walk the plank so to speak.

The fashion police are free to continue to come to this board and lament on the changes in formal night dress until they get use to the fact that it is part of history.

Casual cruisers can simply take advantage of the lost luggage excuse should they ever run into any questions. :cool:

Archived