All Things Galveston Island, Texas!

Texas Teen

While waiting to leave the Ecstasy on December 2nd, I noticed several Union Jacks flying over what appeared to be a glass roofed building near the strand. Any idea what that is/was about?

UJ-Strand.JPG

I had never noticed them before, and since C&BP was in their full-on 100% mode (and debarkation was extremely slow) I was spending time scanning the harbor-side scenery.

My Dear:

That was the 37th annual Dickens on the Strand Festival. Not only celebrating Galveston's Victorian architecture, but honoring our distinguished guest, Lucinda Dickens Hawksley, the great, great, great granddaughter of Charles Dickens.

The festival is held the first weekend in December every year. Check out galvestonhistory.org for info.

Absolutely wonderful weekend with lots of festivities on and off the Strand.

Thanks, never knew about that. We used to always visit in May or June.

Dickens on The Strand photos by Robert Mihovil

http://www.guidrynews.com/story.aspx?id=1000031251

Also:

Galveston Historical Foundation to Host Battle of Galveston Civil War Re-Enactment, Tours, Encampments in January

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/Battle_of_Galveston_Press1.asp

Kat 110105_emYA10_prv.gif

042202_1319_92_prv.gif'Tis the season to be jolly... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You're having entirely too much fun Kat. :)

Well, next year I get to come back through the area. Lived in Houston briefly in the late 90s and didn't like it much.

Galveston, on the other hand was great. Been there a number of times and quite ready for a return visit.

Please...Galveston was great in the 90s.......the 1890s.

It's a total dump now.

It may be to you, but those of us who live here love our island and are working hard to improve it even more after a devastating storm that flooded 80% of the island.

Where else can you be on the beach during the day, eat dinner at a 5 star restaurant then go to a Broadway play at an 1894 Opera House, all within a 10 minute drive?

Please think twice before damning a place. Each town, city, area has its good and bad points. No one has to visit a place they don't like.

But then if you remember the 1890's:rolleyes:

We love visiting Galveston...always go two or three days early when cruising just to hang out and see whats going on. We were there after Ike, and were saddened to see the destruction, but it looks like the islanders are tough and are getting things right again. Kinda miss seeing the seawall fishing piers and the stuff that got blown away, but there is still plenty there to keep us busy! Going back again this December...cant wait!!!:)

It may be to you, but those of us who live here love our island and are working hard to improve it even more after a devastating storm that flooded 80% of the island.

Where else can you be on the beach during the day, eat dinner at a 5 star restaurant then go to a Broadway play at an 1894 Opera House, all within a 10 minute drive?

Please think twice before damning a place. Each town, city, area has its good and bad points. No one has to visit a place they don't like.

But then if you remember the 1890's:rolleyes:

Galveston is a place I would love to retire to. Beautiful sunrises over the gulf, sounds of waves crashing on the beach. OH YEAH.

A friend of mine really turned me on to Galveston years ago. He was working down in Houston & staying in Galveston. Didnt understand spending all that extra Gas commuting until I came down for a week. Then I was hooked. Sadly he passed away last year, and one of his requests was we spread his ashes in Galveston & the gulf. Happy to say his wish was fulfilled and now I say a Silent prayer to him everytime I have been back. (Someday I hope my family will give me the same pleasure)

What a lovely remembrance. I will say a prayer for your friend.

Hillbilly Cruisers - come down for Dickens on the Strand the first weekend in December to enjoy a great Victorian festival.

One more lovely thing back after Ike - the church bells at Grace Episcopal Church at 36th and Avenue L are now playing their musical medley at noon and 6pm everyday. I love to stop whatever I am doing and just listen to that beautiful music:)

What a lovely remembrance. I will say a prayer for your friend.

Hillbilly Cruisers - come down for Dickens on the Strand the first weekend in December to enjoy a great Victorian festival.

One more lovely thing back after Ike - the church bells at Grace Episcopal Church at 36th and Avenue L are now playing their musical medley at noon and 6pm everyday. I love to stop whatever I am doing and just listen to that beautiful music:)

As a matter of fact, thats the weekend we'll be there, and we plan on doing the Dickens thing again..was there in 2009 during Dickens, and we had fun...I love the street food!!! But then, I love several of Galveston's eateries...I think I gain more weight in Galveston precruise than I do on the boat!! We are also going to look into the trolley tour...or whatever its called. We think it would be interesting to have someone explaining the sights as we look around the place!:)

We love visiting Galveston...always go two or three days early when cruising just to hang out and see whats going on. We were there after Ike, and were saddened to see the destruction, but it looks like the islanders are tough and are getting things right again. Kinda miss seeing the seawall fishing piers and the stuff that got blown away, but there is still plenty there to keep us busy! Going back again this December...cant wait!!!:)

Piers on Seawall

61st Fishing has been rebuilt

79th Fishing is going to be rebuilt and is being started on now

25th Flagship hotel being torn down presently, with pier remaining,

and pier turned into amusement park, no fishing as of now being planned

22th Murdocks shopping pier has been rebuilt

Balinese pier yet to be rebuilt, understand footprint has to be same,

and owner wants to refigure and not allowed?

Sure there is more to this.

All the jetties remain, some with very nice paved walkways out to end

Good to hear the piers are being rebuilt...and I was wondering what they would do about the flagship...we were there a couple of months after Ike, and again exactly a year later, and the flagship still looked the same. Seemed like prime real estate going to waste. It would be interesting to see the Balinese rebuilt as it was...kind of a cool place!:)

Piers on Seawall

61st Fishing has been rebuilt

79th Fishing is going to be rebuilt and is being started on now

25th Flagship hotel being torn down presently, with pier remaining,

and pier turned into amusement park, no fishing as of now being planned

22th Murdocks shopping pier has been rebuilt...

Has demolition of the hotel already begun??? :(

Archived