All Things Galveston Island, Texas!

Texas Teen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2nd Time Cruiser and new to Cruise Critic. We live in Nacogdoches, about 120 miles north of Houston and absolutely love Galveston. We are going on Ecstacy on June 20th and staying at the Harbor House and walking to the ship from the hotel. Looking forward to "Magic"...

I am also sort of a history nut and an amateur photographer and GLS is paradise for me. There is a book by PG Nagle (I think) entitled "Galveston" that is a Historical Novel about the Civil War Battle of Galveston. Good read. It's a series too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2nd Time Cruiser and new to Cruise Critic. We live in Nacogdoches, about 120 miles north of Houston and absolutely love Galveston. We are going on Ecstacy on June 20th and staying at the Harbor House and walking to the ship from the hotel. Looking forward to "Magic"...

I am also sort of a history nut and an amateur photographer and GLS is paradise for me. There is a book by PG Nagle (I think) entitled "Galveston" that is a Historical Novel about the Civil War Battle of Galveston. Good read. It's a series too.

Thanks for the info on the book. I'm another history nut and this sounds right up my alley. I'll have to head over to half.com and see if it's available :)

Moody Gardens will reopen its Rainforest Pyramid on May 28, 2011 after $25 million in enhancements following damage from Hurricane Ike in 2008. The enhancements will provide guests with a unique two-level experience that allows them to explore the rainforests of the world from both the ground and the sky. The newly enhanced attraction will also include exciting new exhibits as well as more than 1,000 exotic plants and animals.

see moodygardens.org

• 4 weeks later...

We drove over to Galveston yesterday and took the grandchildren to the Aquarium Pyramid and then to The Rainforest Cafe. The two year old was scared to death, but it's so cute in there! Lots of people at Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn yesterday!

• 2 weeks later...

I love those old pics of Galveston! Amazing how times have changed. All those folks walking on the seawall had on suits, ties, hats, and the ladies had on dresses, stockings and sensible shoes, which definitely had higher heels. All those Model T's were something else too.

One of the wonderful places to watch the cruise ships depart and arrive' date=' [/b']

along with the Harbor House and Willie G pier , Fishermans Wharf pier, and Galveston Maritime Museum and Ellisa pier, Joes Crab Shack and Maggie Rita's third floor deck.

You can also have drink on outdoor areas of Olympia Grill, Willie G's , Fishermans Wharf, Maggie Rita's, New Joe's Crab Shack and Tremont House!

Archived