Opinons wanted extra carry on question

Arwenmark

I would like to state a situation and get opinions, not that it changes anything.

If you purchase an extra seat on a flight to give yourself more room and the airline normally allows one carry on and one personal item. Do you think that you should be allowed one carry one and one personal item for the seat you will sit in and another for the seat you purchased for ROOM? The extra seat actually cost more than my regular seat.

The wording in the contract is ambiguous at best.

What do you all think?

As has been stated, the logical answer is yes, two tickets = twice as much luggage & double the carry-on allowance.

That said, would you please come back & let us know what the reality is?

Another thought just struck me............. If the flight is overbooked, will you still be allowed to have that extra seat or will they "bump" that ticket and put a body next to you anyway? Now I'm really curious. Please let us know which airline and how it all plays out.

I don't know which airline you'd be on, but I just happened to be looking on United's website yesterday, and their rule is one carry-on and one personal item PER PERSON, not per seat purchased. They do, however, let you check two bags at the "first bag" price (that is, if you're flying coach, since I don't think they charge for checked bags in first class -- don't know about business class).

I do not agree with OP here. Sometimes the carryon bins are overful & it would be intolerable to see someone carrying twice the limit, no matter the number of seats purchased.

As has been stated, the logical answer is yes, two tickets = twice as much luggage & double the carry-on allowance.

That said, would you please come back & let us know what the reality is?

Another thought just struck me............. If the flight is overbooked, will you still be allowed to have that extra seat or will they "bump" that ticket and put a body next to you anyway? Now I'm really curious. Please let us know which airline and how it all plays out.

I am traveling Virgin America and the printed out E confirmation I have says a TICKET guarantees you two places on the plane one for you and one for you bag. Now they charge for every checked bag including the first. $15 per bag up to 9 bags. it says One carry on and One personal item.

When I called them however they say no the extra seat does not equal and extra carry on. Their reason? Someone might see you putting up two bags and complain. I told them if I saw someone putting two bags and asked why THEY were allowed to and was told because they bought an extra seat, that would shut ME up!

I was assured that they would in no way Cancel the extra seat to put someone there So I would hope that won't happen, if it does I will make life miserable for the poor slob they stick there I can tell you that.

They also say if you want to bring an oversize or delicate item, say a musical instrument that you can buy a seat for that. So I don't really understand the thinking on this.

If I find I need the extra carry on, I am taking it anyway and will fight it out when I preboard.

It also irks me that IF they don't allow the extra carry on and insist on gate checking it that I get charged another $15. on top of the already higher cost of the extra seat, as I said I paid more for that seat then I did for the other two my husband and I are sitting in.

I will let you know how it actually goes.

I do not agree with OP here. Sometimes the carryon bins are overful & it would be intolerable to see someone carrying twice the limit, no matter the number of seats purchased.

How do you figure that? I agree they are often overfull, but that is because people ignore the rule and bring more than they are allowed.So if you are allowed to bring one carry on and you have purchased the seat why should you NOT be allowed the carry on for that seat?

Personally I usually put my carry on under the seat anyway. But I don't see how you can figure it would be intolerable. I know I asked for opinions and yours differs obviously, I just am wondering on what LOGIC you come up with that answer.

It would be because I would have seen someone I do not know had bought two seats bringing TOO MUCH STUFF! How much STUFF do you need on vacation? (Here I refer you to the late beloved George Carlin).

We are going on a 22-day cruise w/ one suitcase each, one legal carryon each, & my medical bag, which is about the size of a gucci bag & fits under the seat.

I had a friend who had this happen to him a few years ago. The airline was oversold and twice they tried to put someone in his second seat. Fortunately he firmly but politely refused. He had purchased two seats and had right to both seats. I guess he could have asked for denied boarding compensation for the second seat but he wanted the extra room since he was quite large.

It would be because I would have seen someone I do not know had bought two seats bringing TOO MUCH STUFF! How much STUFF do you need on vacation? (Here I refer you to the late beloved George Carlin).

We are going on a 22-day cruise w/ one suitcase each, one legal carryon each, & my medical bag, which is about the size of a gucci bag & fits under the seat.

I actually have quite a bit of medical supplies and they don't count under the carry on rules anyway. But in answer to your reply, If you saw someone with too much stuff and you asked the stewardess why they got to bring more and she told you they bought an extra seat, would you then still have a problem with it? assuming they were still only bringing one extra carry on as would be allowed for any other passenger, I mean they are bringing two carry ons and two personal items for two seats.

As a side note to the above discussion: the number of permitted items (one carryon and one small personal item) is mandated by the Feds ... the problem is in the enforcement. The airlines don't have the time or manpower to verify compliance, and the TSA people likely don't think it's part of their job description.

I've actually seen people tooling thru ORD with 3 and 4 carryons per person ... and I don't mean itty bitties, either.

My take on the OP's question: if you buy 2 seats, you ought to be permitted the carryon liimit of 2 passengers ... and who cares what other pax say about it. They likely brought on too much crap themselves.

If someone asked me why I have two carry ons I would politely tell them that I only have one. The other is for my friend Harvey* who is sitting in that seat.

*For younger people, Harvey is the 6'3" invisible rabbit from the play Harvey and the 1950 James Stewart movie.

If someone asked me why I have two carry ons I would politely tell them that I only have one. The other is for my friend Harvey* who is sitting in that seat.

*For younger people, Harvey is the 6'3" invisible rabbit from the play Harvey and the 1950 James Stewart movie.

Ah but Harvey would have to travel in the hold, unless of course he was a "Certified Service Rabbit".

If you can buy two seats & want two carryons, go for it, but I can only imagine the potential for bumping into numerous pax while boarding & deplaning. I would hope that a person in this situation would check the extra carryon.

If you can buy two seats & want two carryons, go for it, but I can only imagine the potential for bumping into numerous pax while boarding & deplaning. I would hope that a person in this situation would check the extra carryon.

I wold make sure that the OP sticks that "extra seat x (persons last name)" in the pouch in front of the seat so if anyone points you can show the ticket.

I would like to state a situation and get opinions, not that it changes anything.

If you purchase an extra seat on a flight to give yourself more room and the airline normally allows one carry on and one personal item. Do you think that you should be allowed one carry one and one personal item for the seat you will sit in and another for the seat you purchased for ROOM? The extra seat actually cost more than my regular seat.

The wording in the contract is ambiguous at best.

What do you all think?

Arwenmark - You actually bought an extra seat with your name and all? What did the airline say? Did they say you could buy an extra seat? I tried to keep a seat that we bought for our son, then he decided not to go and they wouldn't let us do. I had the same idea about the extra room. But US air said no deal! They had people waiting that wanted to fly stand by so we had to give up our seat.

I wouldn't worry about an extra carry on. Heck I've seen people with suitcases that only fit in the overhead after someone smashed them in! I bet no one will even notice unless "harvey" starts bouncing behind you.

Ok first of all in MY case I am the first one on the plane, I am in the second to the LAST row and I am the LAST one off the plane, with my Wheel chair. so I won't be bumping into anyone at either end of the trip.

Today I went to check how full the flight is, I fly tomorrow, and they had changed my seats and I immediately panicked I called and they said it was fine even though I saw the seats online as available. I then checked my itenerary and sure enough they had changed them, I called back quickly and the agent was able to put us back in our seats so I still have the entire right hand row 24 three seats. I then printed out the boarding passes so hopefully they won't screw it up again. I almost had a heart attack when I saw those seats showing available, anyone could have booked them.

Now I have to try to keep an eye on the return trip to make sure they don't do it again.

May I offer what seems to be a counterintuitive idea? Phone and ask.

I thought I made it clear that I had phoned and asked and was told no that is why I posted this question. I was curious what others thought, not that it would make any difference.

I still contend that the person on the phone is wrong and I will take it up with corporate after my return. As it stands I am putting my carry on IN my checked suitcase and I will be paying $15 each way to check that bag. so it really is a moot point. but since I was garnering opinions on the principles involved etc.

the thread is still valid.

Arwenmark - You actually bought an extra seat with your name and all? What did the airline say? Did they say you could buy an extra seat? I tried to keep a seat that we bought for our son, then he decided not to go and they wouldn't let us do. I had the same idea about the extra room. But US air said no deal! They had people waiting that wanted to fly stand by so we had to give up our seat.

I wouldn't worry about an extra carry on. Heck I've seen people with suitcases that only fit in the overhead after someone smashed them in! I bet no one will even notice unless "harvey" starts bouncing behind you.

Yes of course you can buy an extra seat, in fact you have to if you are fat enough. I am not quite that fat but I need the space for medical reasons. You also HAVE to buy one if you want to bring something delicate or LARGE like a musical instrument sensitive equipment etc. you have to BUY a seat for it.

and Yes I bought the seat first under my name but I was afraid they might cancel one since there were two in my name so I called and they changed it to be listed as extra seat, so when I looked it up or today when I printed the boarding pass I typed in the last name Extra and the conf. number and up it came.

I am sure that they would not let you keep the other seat since it was not an extra seat purchase but in your son's name and he was NOT traveling, which makes him a no show unless his ticket was canceled.

Well,Arwenmark, that's different...if you pre-board no-one will even know. I was just trying to protact the other pax.

Best regars & happy travelling.

Steve

Yes of course you can buy an extra seat, in fact you have to if you are fat enough. I am not quite that fat but I need the space for medical reasons. You also HAVE to buy one if you want to bring something delicate or LARGE like a musical instrument sensitive equipment etc. you have to BUY a seat for it.

and Yes I bought the seat first under my name but I was afraid they might cancel one since there were two in my name so I called and they changed it to be listed as extra seat, so when I looked it up or today when I printed the boarding pass I typed in the last name Extra and the conf. number and up it came.

I am sure that they would not let you keep the other seat since it was not an extra seat purchase but in your son's name and he was NOT traveling, which makes him a no show unless his ticket was canceled.

Thank Arwenmark for the reply. I didn't know you could buy an extra seat. I have heard of people being forced to buy one for weight reasons. Good luck on your trip. Hope all works out well and they don't try to stuff someone in that extra seat. Hope you have a great cruise!

Archived