Must See's Cozmel or Key West????

When we visited Key West on Majesty of the Seas a couple of years back we did one of the trolley tours (the one where you can get off an on) and bought tickets for Hemingway House, Truman Annex and Shipwreck Museum. Plus we had time for lunch at one of the tourist spots.

When we went to Cozumel last year we took the cooking class at Playa Mia. It was a lot of fun, but not something I would recommend in the summer.

In Cozumel, first thing you should do when you get off the ship is rent a jeep and drive to the other side of the island...make your own Corona commercial!! Seriously breathtaking. Save some time for shopping, if you have it. Most of the stuff you can buy in Cozumel, you can buy on the ship or in other ports.

I don't know if it's changed in the few years since I've been there (I used to be a cruise ship musician), but We used to rent a jeep and drive to a lazy beach called "Playa Bonita". Just a plain old beach with a few tables and chairs. The waiters would bring us ice cold Dos Equis beer (or ice cold coke in glass bottles) and fresh chips and guac. Toes in the white sand, and nothing but the sound of the ocean, which is great for a swim. Hopefully it's still untouched by the "tourism" virus. It's a beautiful drive.

It's nice to get away from the crowds for a bit, and even if the beaches on the far side have changed (ie. word has gotten out), it's still way less crowded, and much cheaper than anything near the ports.

There's some good shopping a short (and "exciting") cab ride into town. There's also some all-inclusive hotels that you can pay to enjoy for the day.

Key West is a great place to go bar hopping, shopping and people watching. It is a great place to go and just hang out as long as your not a prude. Be careful if they try to get you to an upstairs bar - you will be very surprised.

Key West has a folder in "Resorts and Ports of Call" here where you can find so many suggestions as to what to do. I would say that taking the trolley tour or the Conch Train tour give you a once-over of the town and give you ideas of what you can do.

There are a great variety of things to do: water sports, museums, historical sights, haunted tours, house and garden tours, drinking and bar hopping, bicycle tours, art galleries, day cruises, shopping and so on.

I hope you like Key West as much as we do. It is one of my favorite places to visit.

KEY WEST: There is a nice self-guided walking tour of Key West Historic Homes. It costs $25 and gives admission to three nice places. The Audubon House is very well done. The Casa Antiqua is OK. And I loved the place that had the Robert Frost Cottage.

The Hemminway House is not on any tour from the ship, but is a great visit too, with its six toed cats. ($12)

COZUMEL: There is just way too much to do in Cozumel. I've been there four times, and five and six are well into the planning (and paying) stages. I've been to Paradise Island $80 (an awesome beach break), snorkeling for beginners $25 (nearly drownd, but had a good time), shopping on the main drag (the cost depends on who you bring along!) and then this past spring we did the Horseback Riding $80, )it was excellent). This summer I'll be taking my boys bottom fishing $75. Might try parasailing next spring.

In Cozumel my must-see is Xcaret Eco-Park. It's on the mainland and is a full day excursion.. leaving soon after disembarkation is allowed and soon before you have to reboard. It is alot of fun and has alot of attractions. It's about 60 USD per adult but is well worth it. One of the highlights is swimming in the mile long underground river and swimming with the dolphins.

IMO the Mel Fischer Museum is a must in Key West.. It has tons of gold, jewels, jewlery ect. that they brought up from a long lost ship wreck. We where really fascinated by it. They even have a gift shop that you can purchase items from the ship wreck. I don't know if it is on a ship excursion, but we just walked around town. They have one of the best Harley Davidson shops also!! Great buys!

Key West is a great place to go bar hopping, shopping and people watching. It is a great place to go and just hang out as long as your not a prude. Be careful if they try to get you to an upstairs bar - you will be very surprised.

I think you're referring not to an "upstairs bar", but to a "rooftop" bar on the roof of the Bull...1st floor is the Bull, 2nd floor is the Whistle...and the 3rd floor is the Garden of Eden...definitely NOT for the faint of heart, or as someone else mentioned, the prude... :eek:

(but Tiotti did a wonderful job on my bathing suit top during Fantasyfest one year... ;) )

If you are into beaches/snorkeling, Cozumel is a great port for that. See the ports thread for suggestions!

We did the trolley in Key West..........hopped off at Hemingways, and the ship wreck museum (which is right at the port).......Walking around is also very fun..........lots of cool shops.........we like the "hippie ones" and definitely get the Key Lime Pie on a stick!

Cozumel

Our first trip to Cozumel, we took the ship's tour to the Mayan ruins. Since these are on the other side of the island, we got a great mini tour that way. This also included a trip to a beach. We loved it and had a great time.

We've done snorkeling, sailing, ridden Segways, eaten at Senior Frogs, and simply walked around downtown. As you can see, we've been to Cozumel many times and have yet to run out of things to do!

Key West

The trolley tour is a great way to go. Gives you an overview of the city. I'd recommend purchasing those tickets through the ship. In the past, the ticket booth was swamped and some couldn't get on because the ship's ticket holders filled their trolleys. The museum right as you get off of the ship is interesting. It's in a building that was once the custom house for immigrants as they came to the US. We've walked down to the southern most point. Loved that. It's a fairly long walk. We've seen a daschund doggie parade when there once. Eaten at Margaritaville. Caught really cool acts in an area by the port in the evening. Of course, there is Key West's most famous inhabitant, Ernest Hemmingway, and you can tour his home.

Both are interesting ports with a variety of things to do. Have fun!

We have been to Key West many times and love it. It is so easy to stroll around town. The last time we were there we went to Ernest Hemingways' home. It was really interesting. The tour guides really give you a huge amount of informtion.

Another interesting place is the Kino Sandal Factory. They make sandals there, along with purses and back packs. It is a favorite stop for us.

I would definitely try the trolley tour. It was very nice. We also stopped at Hemingway's home and also thought it was interesting. We had time at the end to get a drink @ sloppy joe's. Couldn't leave Key West without getting a drink there. Great town.

tickets for the trolley tour in Key West can be purchased online in advance of your visit. We saved about $7 PP this way.

You will pay more than regular price if you buy tickets on the ship.

Read some posts on the Key West board for some great information.

tickets for the trolley tour in Key West can be purchased online in advance of your visit. We saved about $7 PP this way.

You will pay more than regular price if you buy tickets on the ship.

Read some posts on the Key West board for some great information.

Also - the Trolley is a better way to go - unless you just want an over view. With the trolley you can get off and on. If you are going there on Enchantment then you might want to do the Conch train - you won't have time to really check out the museums.

If you buy your tickets on line or in person on Duval st - they don't expire. We used tickets left over from 2 years previous on our recent visit.

If you are into snorkeling or scuba, Chankanaab National Park (http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp) in Cozumel is a wonderful place to visit. You can also interact and swim with dolphins here, and the beach is beautiful. When you've had enough sea and sun, go shopping and people watching in town and/or at the shops near the port. Don't forget to buy vanilla to bring home.

I second the trolley suggestions for Key West. The trolley is a great way to get around the island. Mel Fisher's, the Hemmingway House, Sloppy Joe's, Tony's, and the quirky shops and bars will definitely fill your day. And as another poster mentioned, save room for frozen key lime pie on a stick...definitely worth the calories!

Key West

• I would recommend the "Conch Train" as I believe it is called--do it on our own and save some $$
  • Key West has the best coral reefs that I have ever seen--again do it on your own--there is a booth right in Mallory Square
  • I have twice visited the summer White House of my favorite president--Harry S Truman. It is a 5-10 minute walk from Mallory Square
  • Enjoy the sights of Duval Street. My wife said my eyes were the size of quarters!;)

Cozumel

• I would agree that Chankanaab National Park is a good take, but do it on our own. There are numerous cabs both at the pier and when you finish at the park which give you a flat rate ride (costs are posted). There is an admission to the park which as I recall is a little steep, but it costs way more if you go on a ship's excursion.
  • You may want to check on the pier as you arrive. There are other swim clubs/beaches a few miles further for which you do not have to pay admission. I am sorry that I can not remember names here.

In Key West, walk over to the treasure museum, hemmingway house, or little white house. Have lunch, then back aboard the ship.

Cozumel has some of the most amazing sights anywhere in the world....but they are all under water, so you'll have to SCUBA dive. If you are unwilling or unable to SCUBA, then rent a scooter and take a lovely trip around the island.

You can also take an excursion over to the mainland, and cool down in the underground river at Xcaret or explore the ruins of Tulum.

Archived