Alaska - WOW!!!

DizzyDallasDi

I recently went on my first cruise to Alaska and was completely blown away by the beauty and size of everything! :D To all who are going for their first time and all who are returning -- sink in the wonderous majesty surrounding you and appreciate every moment.

I've seen numerous mountains, sparkling lakes and waterfalls in my travels, but nothing compares to the grandeur I experienced in Alaska. I was a confirmed beach gal in all my previous trips and wouldn't consider going somewhere I had to bundle up and be cold. Never again! I will continue my winter cruises to the Caribbean but Alaska has become my new wonder destination. :) I went on this cruise out of curiosity and my curiosity has been fulfilled beyond my imagination! Standing on my balcony or on deck watching the glorious scenery go by brought me to tears...it was a truly spiritual experience I never expected.

I am now one of you...the Alaska lovers who return year after year to sink in the extreme nature surrounding you. I now understand why you go,

I love and am very proud of our 49th state. Alaska rocks!! :D

Diane

now you must really see alaska beyond the 4 tourist ports you visited.

What is your recommendation for extended travels beyond the Big 3 ports, i.e., Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan? I've also seen Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm -- both are spectacular! Do I need to do a cruise tour to gain a greater appreciation? Thank you for your input!

Diane

Agree with OP totally and we got a slightly bigger "taste" by going to ANC and then to Denali. The land portion was a totally different experience in every aspect from the cruise and the ports in the SE peninsula. Recommend doing that to OP you will have a better experience by NOT taking a cruise tour. It's easy to do it yourself, it's the US of A after all!

I've also heard good things about the Homer area, so I plan to do that next time. Also Marjorie Glacier did not calve all day so I want to go back to GBNP again.

Thanks for your post Diane, I copied it to our Alaska Roll Call thread where many of us will be going for the first time as well. I'm guessing from your nick that you are from the Dallas area, I'm up on Lake Lewisville in The Colony myself, but cant wait to get to Alaska. We are doing a Southbound out of Seward on the Radiance. We are going up early to do some salmon fishing on the Kenai for a few days pre-cruise.

As one who is cruising in Alaska for the first time in a few months, I thank the OP for this post. I was already excited, but now I can't wait for our turn to go and witness the beauty.

Like her, I have always cruised to tropical places, and thought I had found the most beautiful place when we cruised to Hawai, and even moreso when we sailed in Tahiti and FP last fall.

Also, like her, I avoided going anywhere I might have to dress for chilly - cold weather.

But I finally talked to enough past AK cruisers who simply raved on and on about the beauty, and decided I NEED to see this amazing place, even if I have to dress for unpleasant weather.

This post reconfirms to me that I have mode a wise choice in booking this cruise.

Yes, we justed returned last Sunday off the Pearl and must say I went for Jerry and I loved the warm weather cruising.

We both agree this was our BEST cruise ever almost ties with Hawaii but Jerry doesn't like hot weather so that's where Alaska gets the edge for him and for me I'm a BIG animal lover and thew eagles, the bear and whales topped it off for me. We only did the cruise and hopefully some day can do a land portion.

You you're a first timer like we were you will be amazed, we were.

Loved everything, the weather was great for us little rain in Alaska and none for 4 days in Seattle. Saw a hug calving at Glacier Bay it was just perfect.

I couldn't have said it any better, I just returned from NLC Star in May, I would love to go more inland next time.

I can't stop looking at my pictures from the cruise.

Karen

Exactly! I went for the 1st time 7 years ago and pretty much from the minute I got home until last April, I've been trying to convince my husband and his family to go. FINALLY - they agreed and we're off in just 12 days! Alaska truly is spectacular beyond words. I think it really takes being there to comprehend it.

I recently went on my first cruise to Alaska and was completely blown away by the beauty and size of everything! :D To all who are going for their first time and all who are returning -- sink in the wonderous majesty surrounding you and appreciate every moment.

I've seen numerous mountains, sparkling lakes and waterfalls in my travels, but nothing compares to the grandeur I experienced in Alaska. I was a confirmed beach gal in all my previous trips and wouldn't consider going somewhere I had to bundle up and be cold. Never again! I will continue my winter cruises to the Caribbean but Alaska has become my new wonder destination. :) I went on this cruise out of curiosity and my curiosity has been fulfilled beyond my imagination! Standing on my balcony or on deck watching the glorious scenery go by brought me to tears...it was a truly spiritual experience I never expected.

I am now one of you...the Alaska lovers who return year after year to sink in the extreme nature surrounding you. I now understand why you go,

Diane

Try a different kind of cruise next year on American Safari. We went last year and it was unbelievable here are a few photos and my review if your interested. We are thinking about cruising with them again.

http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/564054341jZZaCM

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=44066

We just returned from our fourth alaskan trip. We did 11 days on land prior to the cruise. I love the cruise, but you really get a feel for the real alaska inland. We spent the first night in Anchorage, then on to Seward for two nights, Glenallan for one night, Valdez for two nights, Fairbanks for two night, Denali for two nights, and back to Anchorage for the last night before the cruise. My husband and I have done the inland all four times. This time we took 13 friends with us inland and six more joined us for the cruise. We drove 1700 miles in 11 days. I have always just raved about our trips and was so glad my friends felt the same. I had built it up so much I was afraid they might be disappointed. I really believe if you cant afford both the inland is the best, just my opinion of course. Enjoy.

Thanks for your post Diane, I copied it to our Alaska Roll Call thread where many of us will be going for the first time as well. I'm guessing from your nick that you are from the Dallas area, I'm up on Lake Lewisville in The Colony myself, but cant wait to get to Alaska. We are doing a Southbound out of Seward on the Radiance. We are going up early to do some salmon fishing on the Kenai for a few days pre-cruise.

Well then, howdy neighbor! I live in Plano. :D I sure wish I was still enjoying the cool Alaska weather today...whew, it's a scorcher!

I hope your roll call enjoys my post (thank you for copying it there :)) and that it helps some of the first timers understand that they are going to an amazing place. Have a great cruise!

Diane

As one who is cruising in Alaska for the first time in a few months, I thank the OP for this post. I was already excited, but now I can't wait for our turn to go and witness the beauty.

Like her, I have always cruised to tropical places, and thought I had found the most beautiful place when we cruised to Hawai, and even moreso when we sailed in Tahiti and FP last fall.

Also, like her, I avoided going anywhere I might have to dress for chilly - cold weather.

But I finally talked to enough past AK cruisers who simply raved on and on about the beauty, and decided I NEED to see this amazing place, even if I have to dress for unpleasant weather.

This post reconfirms to me that I have mode a wise choice in booking this cruise.

You are very welcome! Actually, the first time I went to Maui I thought there could be no place on earth as beautiful. I think Alaska rivals Hawaii in beauty but it does it on such a grander scale! And, there is so much greenery contrasted right beside snow capped mountains with rushing streams below and waterfalls all in a nonstop panorama. Even on the days it was rainy, I was still in awe...I simply donned my raingear and my smile while ooohing and awwwing. Have a great cruise!

Diane

OP, your post has me teary-eyed with excitement as we are now counting down the days to our first Alaska trip (10!!). I may have to reread it a few times when I start stressing about making sure I have everything ready. ;)

Thank you! I felt compelled to write my post after looking at all of my pictures again (for the 1,000th time :D). If my post brought you to tears, keep those tissues handy for when you're actually there! :) It's a truly awe-inspiring place. Have a great cruise!

Diane

Diane

I LOVE your post!! This is exactly how I felt after taking my first trip to Alaska. I think it is beyond imagination. TV doesn't do it justice! We are returning this year for a longer trip - and I couldn't be more excited!!

Try a different kind of cruise next year on American Safari. We went last year and it was unbelievable here are a few photos and my review if your interested. We are thinking about cruising with them again.

http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/564054341jZZaCM

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=44066

Thank you for posting the link to your fabulous pictures! I know how hard it is to get whales to pose (I got a few good ones out of about 200 taken :)). And, I never got close to any bears, only saw them from the ship. But, that was exciting anyway!

I read your review and that sounds like a wonderful adverture! I'll definitely keep American Safari in mind for a future "cruise." I'm sure it is something your very lucky children (and you) will never forget!

Diane

Diane,

Welcome to Alaska-Addicts! I've had the good fortune of living and traveling to many desitinations in Europe; have spent a month between Austraila, New Zealand and Japan; and have cruised the Med and of course all over the Caribbean. I've loved most everywhere I have had the good fortune of visiting; but I must say Alaska is exactly what you so well described as a 'wonder destination'. I find it hard to put my finger on one reason why but guess it's just a package deal! So all in all you have put it very well...a wonder destination! Thanks for your post which has reminded me why I am so looking forward to our next trip!

Dizzy

We live in Plano and are leaving on the 16th for a land tour only (no cruise). We have rented a 28 foot RV and will be going to Homer, Seward, Whittier, Talkeetna and Denali NP. We will be home on the 28th. I'll let you know how it went.

Diane

Hi Diane,:) glad you had such a wonderful time. I am going

back to Alaska in Sept for the 3rd time:D:)...it definitely

rocks!

Well, you sum up the feelings of all of us Alaska Addicts. I do hope you do try an inland trip sometime. You don't need to spend the money on a cruisetour, however. It is really easy to do land touring independently on your own either renting a car or RV. We have always rented a car and loved doing our own thing, doing what we want when we want and not having to worry about the pace of a whole group of people.

There is so much to see so you need to take some time to research and see where you really want to go - north to Denali and Fairbanks or over to the Kenai Peninsula visiting Seward and Homer on the other side. We loved both. Homer is great for going out halibut fishing, if that is your thing, but is definitely worth a trip even if you don't fish. The view of Kachemak Bay across from Homer is spectacular. I researched and when we did a 10 day land tour we stayed in B & B's and really enjoyed it.

I highly recommend one of the Kenai Fjords boat tours out of Seward. Take at least a 6 hour trip and one that includes going to a glacier. Besides the glacier, you will probably see whales, puffins, otters, and seals. "Budget Queen" who posts a lot here on the "Alaska" board highly recommends the 9 hour trip going to Northwestern Glacier.

I also recommend the "26 Glacier cruise" out of Whittier in Prince William Sound. I think it was about 4 hours in length. We saw hundreds of otters floating by on that cruise. You can easily go on that from Anchorage. But, you need to spend the night if going to Seward and Homer. I recommend 2 nights in each. Also, there is a great place to stop for a meal between Anchorage and Seward called the Summit Lake Lodge. The view behind there is incredible. The food is good and the view is breathtaking. There is a lake and a mountain behind it.

It is somewhere to stay but good to eat there. It is casual.

Coming from Seward to Anchorage before you get to the Summit Lake Lodge is Moose Pass. Take a little time and drive through there and also see Trail Lake. Just a pretty sight!

Also, don't miss the Wildlife Refuge Center. It is near the road to Whittier. Can't remember exactly how close. You will see all kinds of wildlife from Alaska in there.

Go to Girdwood and go to the top of the tram at the Westin Mt. Alyeska hotel. Once again, the view from the top is spectacular. Hang gliders go off from the top of the mountain which is really something to see.

We didn't go all the way to Fairbanks, but a nice one day trip out of Anchorage is to Talkeetna and driving around Palmer/Wasilla. Talkeetna is a cute little touristy town with old style buildings and it is the town that the mountain climbers start in that climb Denali. If the mountain is visible, it is a great view from behind the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge.

Well, you sum up the feelings of all of us Alaska Addicts. I do hope you do try an inland trip sometime. You don't need to spend the money on a cruisetour, however. It is really easy to do land touring independently on your own either renting a car or RV. We have always rented a car and loved doing our own thing, doing what we want when we want and not having to worry about the pace of a whole group of people.

There is so much to see so you need to take some time to research and see where you really want to go - north to Denali and Fairbanks or over to the Kenai Peninsula visiting Seward and Homer on the other side. We loved both. Homer is great for going out halibut fishing, if that is your thing, but is definitely worth a trip even if you don't fish. The view of Kachemak Bay across from Homer is spectacular. I researched and when we did a 10 day land tour we stayed in B & B's and really enjoyed it.

I highly recommend one of the Kenai Fjords boat tours out of Seward. Take at least a 6 hour trip and one that includes going to a glacier. Besides the glacier, you will probably see whales, puffins, otters, and seals. "Budget Queen" who posts a lot here on the "Alaska" board highly recommends the 9 hour trip going to Northwestern Glacier.

I also recommend the "26 Glacier cruise" out of Whittier in Prince William Sound. I think it was about 4 hours in length. We saw hundreds of otters floating by on that cruise. You can easily go on that from Anchorage. But, you need to spend the night if going to Seward and Homer. I recommend 2 nights in each. Also, there is a great place to stop for a meal between Anchorage and Seward called the Summit Lake Lodge. The view behind there is incredible. The food is good and the view is breathtaking. There is a lake and a mountain behind it.

It is somewhere to stay but good to eat there. It is casual.

Coming from Seward to Anchorage before you get to the Summit Lake Lodge is Moose Pass. Take a little time and drive through there and also see Trail Lake. Just a pretty sight!

Also, don't miss the Wildlife Refuge Center. It is near the road to Whittier. Can't remember exactly how close. You will see all kinds of wildlife from Alaska in there.

Go to Girdwood and go to the top of the tram at the Westin Mt. Alyeska hotel. Once again, the view from the top is spectacular. Hang gliders go off from the top of the mountain which is really something to see.

We didn't go all the way to Fairbanks, but a nice one day trip out of Anchorage is to Talkeetna and driving around Palmer/Wasilla. Talkeetna is a cute little touristy town with old style buildings and it is the town that the mountain climbers start in that climb Denali. If the mountain is visible, it is a great view from behind the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge.

Hi Sherry - Thank you so much for your very comprehensive travel recommendations for an Alaska non-cruise vacation! Each place sounds spectacular and I'm wondering if this would be a wise choice for someone traveling solo? Perhaps I could try a portion of it to see if I can handle all that driving without anyone to tag team with at the wheel and have conversations with while going from place to place. An inticing notion is that I could sing my favorite songs at the top of my lungs without annoying anyone. :D

Diane

Hi all!

Thanks for this great thread. We hope to go to Alaska in 2010.

fpat ~ wow, what amazing photos! Those are the best whale pictures I've ever seen!

Thanks.

~Jo~ :)

Thanks those were about 40 of close to 1,000 pictures that I took. As you can see on this cruise you are very up close and personal with nature. While we mostly warm weather cruise we too were hooked on Alaska and hope to return soon. The whales did a nice job posing for me;)

we got back 5/23 from our first Alaska cruise on the golden princess i still can't get over how awsome it was,so next june we are going again and taking my brother and my sister in-law:)

Archived