Is a balcony worth the cost?

GAMOM4

Now you did it. You will never go back.:D

I have a feeling you could be right!!! I admit I am THRILLED to be having a balcony. I enjoyed the oceanview, but I know that I will sit out on the balcony with a cup of coffee or two or three!! AND DEFINATELY ENJOY THE SCENERY...:p

If you don't spend much time in your cabin, then don't get one.

To me it's not important. It's just a place to sleep and shower so I would rather save my money for other things.

We are not in our cabins much. Other people can't cruise without them as they like to sit out and have their morning coffee or read a book.

It's all what's important to you.

Bill

I have never understood these comments whan someone asks why some of us book balconies.......

We don't spend alot of time in our cabins......only to sleep and shower..........we spend alot of time on our balcony:D

I suppose only balcony snobs understand this:p:D

And there is way more to see then the ocean......pulling in and out of port.......beautiful sunsets.......coffee in the morning in your jammies.......

and if you are like us...... 3 or 4 balconies in a row for a hell of a party deck:D

I always book IS...I have been upgraded a couple of times to a balcony...I continue to book IS. They were wonderful, but I'm happy to spend my money on other things and I actually like inside rooms for napping. I'm one of those that is wide awake at the first spot of light in the morning. If you have the extra money and you won't feel bad about spending it, go ahead and book a balcony. At least then you can decide for yourself whether it was worth it.

I have had inside cabin, ov cabin, balcony cabin, aft balcony cabin and for my next cruise aft wrap balcony cabin. A cruise is what you make it. While I don't have to have a balcony to enjoy my cruise, without a balcony is kind of like going to the beach and staying inland instead of oceanfront. If I am going to make the effort to get there I would rather be able to see the beautiful ocean without making the trek to another deck and not have my private space to soak up the view. If I don't have a balcony I go in with a different expectation knowing the cabin is not going to play as an important part in this particular vacation.

I love having a balcony. To me, they are well worth it and I make use of them everyday. So relaxing and peaceful to me. I've never had an inside cabin and don't think I'd ever consider one!

I have done both, and would probably not chose a balcony. Of course, it depends on where you are coming from, and where you are going. For us here in South Florida, ocean views are nothing new. Since I'm at the beach every week anyway, the extra cost of the view was not worth it. I can always lay in a lounge chair on deck for free and see the exact same view.

However, if you're from a land-locked state, and really want to enjoy the ocean all the time, then go for it. It's definitely nice to be able to sleep with the windows open, and enjoy the sound of the ocean.....that is, as long as you don't have smokers and/or noisy neighbors next door....which has happened to us.

If the budget is tight, then skip the balcony. If you've got the money and want to try it, then go for it.

this will be the first in out of 7 cruise , trying a balcony.....my bf likes to chill in a chair listening to the ocean...when he's not playing basketball.

if we REALLY like it we might get an AFT...next year.....the pictures everybody post is "TA DIE FOR".....

and i think his name is paulmedik...hope i spell that right said " once you go aft you never go back":D

I love balconies.For many of the reasons already listed, but,have also been up late/early,and watched some beautiful sunrises.Its so peaceful and the view at that time of day is just majestic.I have had insides and ov, and if that was the only way I could be on the boat,I would still be happy.

My first balcony was on RC.

I will never go with anything but balcony:D

I am the first one up in the morning and I go right out on the balcony.

The last place I am at night is on the balcony with a glass of wine.

I only ask pricing for balcony now.

And you can become a member of the balcony club;)

My husband says "if I can't have a balcony, I'm not going". This isn't exactly true as I do think he would still cruise and still enjoy it very much. But having a balcony changes the whole dynamic of the cruise, at least for us. The many cruises we took in an inside or oceanview were wonderful; but they were about the ship, ports, socializing, food, entertainment. With a balcony, the cruise is more relaxing, about the ocean and the peace & quiet. I'm fine with either experience, but the more I sail with a balcony, the more I want that side of cruising.

We are going on a cruise on the Inspiration on July 9th and I am already looking to book a cruise for next summer. We have never been in a cabin that had a balcony - so I have been pricing some of them - there is such a huge difference in the price. I was pricing the Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale and I just can't help but wonder how that much of a price difference could be worth it. (Of course, I know that the price could drop if I booked Early Saver) but I think I may be better off just booking an oceanview which we always have before - but then that makes me wonder why we do that when an inside cabin is cheaper; not as much difference as between OV & Balcony but still Inside is cheaper than OV. We have never been on one of the larger ships and we are really within driving distance of anywhere in Florida; so I was looking at the Legend, Freedom & Liberty - anyone have any suggestions? And the ports aren't that important because we go because of the ship and not where it is going. We have never been to any of the private islands and we love Key West.

I would suggest trying a balcony... we loved having one. Sleeping with the door propped open, the warm air, the sound of the ocean, morning coffee, checking the weather, daughter drying her long air hanging it over the rail as the ship moved, watching the scenery as we approached port without fighting our way to a railing on deck, sunrise & sunsets... many reasons to splurge and try it out.

We sail in July on a ship that does not have balconies so I'm curious how much we will miss it.

Enjoy!

I have cruised in an IS, OV and BL and have actually enjoyed all three. My cruise this coming September an Aft Balcony was $30 pp more than the IS price for me that was a no brainer and I went with the Aft, now the price is $150pp more than I paid for it. It was too good of a deal to pass up at the time and I am so glad I did it. Our cruise last year on the Splendor started as an IS but with price drops we ended up getting the balcony a couple weeks before we sailed at less than $80 for the IS so we decided to move up.

Now for December I am trying at this point the Cove Balcony on the dream, this will be my kids first cruise in a balcony cabin and I hope they will enjoy it - we splurged essentially since this is our christmas cruise. However I am watching other balcony cabins and if the price should drop I may decide to move up.

Right now for next year we booked just an IS on the Emerald Princess because in looking at the prices it was what I was most comfortable with paying.

I have been on two cruises first room was inside cabin and my last cruise was an aft balcony wrap and IT WAS WONDERFUL...as others have said being able to stand out there and eat, read a book, listen to the waves all in your own solitude is WONDERFUL...i am booked for a cat 12 on the elation leaving in 2 wks and I am SUPER excited! Once you go balcony it is kind of hard to go back.

if the difference is HUGE then we typically sail elsewhere...but if we can get a good deal on it a balcony does make the trip nice...for the 10 nighter that we are taking in December we are only paying $200 more per person than an inside

On any cruise to a warm location, it's a must. Nothing like sitting on the balcony with hubby and a bottle of wine... while the kids are in camp carnival.... sun setting... Priceless.

The only time a balcony is NOT worth it (IMO) is on northern cruises. Going north to Canada - it's a bit to cold to enjoy the balcony.

Our first two cruises were inside. The next was a BL, and had the good fortune to get an aft! Now we're spoiled and have our third aft balcony booked for next April. Now, are balconies worth it? The little voice in my head keeps saying, "There can be nothing less than an aft. There can be nothing less than an aft!" :eek:

Archived