Is a balcony worth the cost?

GAMOM4

We are going on a cruise on the Inspiration on July 9th and I am already looking to book a cruise for next summer. We have never been in a cabin that had a balcony - so I have been pricing some of them - there is such a huge difference in the price. I was pricing the Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale and I just can't help but wonder how that much of a price difference could be worth it. (Of course, I know that the price could drop if I booked Early Saver) but I think I may be better off just booking an oceanview which we always have before - but then that makes me wonder why we do that when an inside cabin is cheaper; not as much difference as between OV & Balcony but still Inside is cheaper than OV. We have never been on one of the larger ships and we are really within driving distance of anywhere in Florida; so I was looking at the Legend, Freedom & Liberty - anyone have any suggestions? And the ports aren't that important because we go because of the ship and not where it is going. We have never been to any of the private islands and we love Key West.

Inspiration doesnt have any balcony cabins, so you have to book a cat 11 or 12 suite.

I see you are talking about booking on Freedom though, so on that ship, at least you are only paying the balcony not the suite price. If you and your husband or whomever you travel with like quiet time, it woud be worth it. We like to be around others, so not our thing, Id say only you know if its worth it to YOU.

We are going on the Inspiration next month and we have an oceanview on it - I am looking at cruises for next summer (that way I will have a year to be paying on it) and that is why I was looking at some of the larger ships. Like the Liberty, Freedom or Legend.

If you like private quiet areas it might be.

Our 2 cruise have both been balconies. Yes they were nice, but in the future I think we will go with ocean view cabins. We like the light from outdoors but we spent most of our time up on the upper decks so we have decided unless its REAL close pricewise for us it’s just not worth the extra money. YMMV

Our upcoming cruise is a inside (got a cheap deal) Hope it’s not too much like sleeping in a walk-in closet.

TRY IT!!! I doubt you will regret it. We use ours all the time. Sometime we go out by the pool but other times we can lay out on the balcony. I love being able to to out there when we are leaving a port or relaxing during the day or before dinner. You will never know until you try it.

APLMAC....thanks for the new backgound picture...that view will have to do while I wait for the next cruise to arrive.

Depends on what the cost is. Some newer ships have a majoriy of balcony cabins, so the cost difference on those ships may not be as much. Time of year you cruise makes a big difference too.

My attitude is that a balcony is a very nice thing to have, but it is sort of like traveling first class on an airplane: nice but not really necessary to get where you are going. If you can get an upgrade without too much cost, go for it. Otherwise, you'll have a fabulous time with an inside cabin, too.

Our first balcony was an upgrade and I fell in love! As much as we love Cruising there are times when we just need our "own space". We enjoy a balcony for these reasons: Quiet cup of coffee and room service lite breakfast what a great way to start the day. After being in a port all day it's nice to have a place that's not people intensive to sit and enjoy. Great spot to enjoy coming in to or sailing away from a port. Great place for spouse to relax while other half is getting ready for day, dinner or anything else. Lunch, either when at sea or on a port day no lines and dress any way you want. Perfect spot for a little together time. So, if it's with in your budget I'd say try it once if it's not to your liking than you know not to book one again.

If you've never had a balcony, you won't miss it.

If you get a balcony, you might never want to cruise without one again.

We cruised in Feb in a porthole cabin. I thought....it's only for 5 days, the price was dirt cheap and I won't miss the balcony. But I missed it alot. I doubt we'll cruise without a balcony again.

I like to get room service coffee and sit out on the balcony in the morning without having to get dressed.

I often think of the guy who had the inside cabin directly across from our balcony cabin. We both happened to open our cabin doors at the same time. He saw through our cabin, out through the balcony door and window and the look on his face when he said "wow....what a view!' was priceless.

Is it a good idea to book this far in advance? The most we have ever booked before is 6 months. Booking early saver is a real gamble...but for us (unless something unforseen happens before the July 9th and then we have insurance) it has really paid off because the prices really dropped until the last week and now they are above what we paid for them. So out of the three ships I mentioned - which would be the best to try a balcony on (the one with the least amount of difference in price?) since we don't really care where it is going. Miami is the further away from us than the other two ports but it is still within driving distance.

If you've never had a balcony, you won't miss it.

If you get a balcony, you might never want to cruise without one again.

We cruised in Feb in a porthole cabin. I thought....it's only for 5 days, the price was dirt cheap and I won't miss the balcony. But I missed it alot. I doubt we'll cruise without a balcony again.

I like to get room service coffee and sit out on the balcony in the morning without having to get dressed.

I often think of the guy who had the inside cabin directly across from our balcony cabin. We both happened to open our cabin doors at the same time. He saw through our cabin, out through the balcony door and window and the look on his face when he said "wow....what a view!' was priceless.

Could not have said it any better. Our first cruise was also with a porthole. Did not know what we were missing until we got a blacony. Now it would be very hard to go back.

We are going on a cruise on the Inspiration on July 9th and I am already looking to book a cruise for next summer. We have never been in a cabin that had a balcony - so I have been pricing some of them - there is such a huge difference in the price. I was pricing the Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale and I just can't help but wonder how that much of a price difference could be worth it. (Of course, I know that the price could drop if I booked Early Saver) but I think I may be better off just booking an oceanview which we always have before - but then that makes me wonder why we do that when an inside cabin is cheaper; not as much difference as between OV & Balcony but still Inside is cheaper than OV. We have never been on one of the larger ships and we are really within driving distance of anywhere in Florida; so I was looking at the Legend, Freedom & Liberty - anyone have any suggestions? And the ports aren't that important because we go because of the ship and not where it is going. We have never been to any of the private islands and we love Key West.

To me it's not important. It's just a place to sleep and shower so I would rather save my money for other things.

We are not in our cabins much. Other people can't cruise without them as they like to sit out and have their morning coffee or read a book.

It's all what's important to you.

Bill

Balconies are not worth the extra cost. We just book them so we can waste more money.:eek::rolleyes::D

Where else would you put the torches; but the balcony? They do not allow them in the Staterooms :eek:

When we started cruising, we just got OV staterooms. The kids were young, and we didn't want to worry about them with a balcony.

Now that they are older, we started booking balcony cabins, and have never regretted it. In our case, we really enjoy having somewhere outside to relax without all the hustle and bustle of the other passengers.

I think I would sum it up this way... If the particular cruise is all about the ports you visit, the nightlife with new friends, and sunning by the pool, then I wouldn't bother. If your cruise is more about rest and relaxation, then I certainly would.

We (DH, DD, DS, and I) were on Legend last June (2008). We had two connecting balcony cabins, and I do not regret the cost AT ALL. One of the best vacations we have ever had as a family.

Ilean

I don't agree with the other person. There is nothing like a balcony. It is so much better than an oceanview. You can sit out on the balcony early in the morning and just relax. WE go out there all the time. Some people don't care where they sleep. I have seen an inside room. I would stay home first then sleep in one of them. I walked in one and walked right out. It was like a closed box. You still spend time in your room. I want to be comfortable. The last few cruises we tried Category 11. Now we are spoiled with them. If it was me, I would take the balcony anyday. I know you will love it. As for the Freedom, we have done it twice aleady. Last year on the Eastern out of Miami. It was great. This year out of Ft lauderedale for Exotic Western. We loved them both. I always seem to book the newer ones. We love the EAstern but we have already done it 10 times. That is why we tried the Exotic Western. We had never done the Panama. Southern Itinerary is cool too. If you book the Freedom, you will love it.

We cruised in Feb in a porthole cabin. I thought....it's only for 5 days,

the price was dirt cheap and I won't miss the balcony.

But I missed it a lot. I doubt we'll cruise without a balcony again.

OhNo I was afraid of that...:cool:

Balcony-091.jpg

My 1st cruise on the Glory we had an oceanview and it was fantastic. Every night I would wake up in the middle of the night and lean on the window ledge and watch the ocean go by. It was a beautiful blue, even at night. Also saw a couple of cruise ships off in the distance. Went to book my 2nd cruise and had not even considered a balcony. So satisfied with the oceanview. Well the Carnival rep said a balcony would only be $50 more...looked at my friend who I am going with....said it is up to you. She said YES....NOW I AM THRILLED ABOUT MY UPCOMING BALCONY CABIN IN SEPTEMBER ON THE FREEDOM. I know I will truly enjoy sitting out there in the morning, during the day off and on and also in the middle of the night. It really is up to you...what you decide. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Inside, oceanview or balcony, you will have a great time. :)

My 1st cruise on the Glory we had an oceanview and it was fantastic. Every night I would wake up in the middle of the night and lean on the window ledge and watch the ocean go by. It was a beautiful blue, even at night. Also saw a couple of cruise ships off in the distance. Went to book my 2nd cruise and had not even considered a balcony. So satisfied with the oceanview. Well the Carnival rep said a balcony would only be $50 more...looked at my friend who I am going with....said it is up to you. She said YES....NOW I AM THRILLED ABOUT MY UPCOMING BALCONY CABIN IN SEPTEMBER ON THE FREEDOM. I know I will truly enjoy sitting out there in the morning, during the day off and on and also in the middle of the night. It really is up to you...what you decide. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Inside, oceanview or balcony, you will have a great time. :)
Now you did it. You will never go back.:D

It's such a personal choice. Here's my take on it...

I always bought the cheapest cabin I could. Traveling solo was almost double the cost so I took whatever category that was bottom line.

Then, about 8 years ago, Carnival upgraded me to a balcony...and I never looked back. It is such an integral part of my cruise that I'd never sail without one.

I finally knew why some folks say "what's the difference--nobody spends much time in the cabin anyway"..

I practically live out there...at all hours day or night. It's a quiet refuge if the noise and bustle gets too much. It's a great place to enjoy room service morning coffee and croissants when it's so peaceful.....

Now you did it. You will never go back.:D

I don't know how I went back.:D Oh I remember, I went to one of those deprogrammers. lol

We've been on 21 cruises from Aft suites where the size of the balcony was bigger than most cabins, mini suites, balconies, etc but sometimes I see a cheap cruise and say hey let's do this and we just go on the cheap. Sometimes it makes the difference between one cruise a year or multiple cruises in one year.

Like G'ma said it's all personal preference.:)

Bill

Archived