Is a balcony worth the cost?

GAMOM4

I am definitely not one of those who say once you have a balcony you won't want to go back. I've done both. 5 cruises - OV, OV, balcony, balcony, OV.. next two are balconies because the other people we are going with are balconies. I enjoy my time on the balcony but I really like to be out and about. I would not spend more than $100 extra for a balcony.

JMHO

Yes balconies are nice. :) We have done IS, OV & BL. We do IS or OC on 5 day and shorter cruises. We just don't think its worth the money to get a balcony. But we have done a wrap and standard balcony and in Sept. will be doing are third balcony..

All the Balcony rooms we have done have been on 7 day cruises. For us its worth the money. On a family cruise that we got the standard balcony we didn't spend at much time on the balcony. We had the family and did most groups things. But when its just my husband and I. We do spend a lot of time on the balcony on sea days..

I do live in Florida and have seen my fair share of Sunsets and beaches. But still enjoy listening to the ocean going by and having a "private" space for us to read or talk and even smoke a cigar. :p

It's all about personal choice and what you are willing to spend on your vacation

As for me, the balconies keep getting bigger. We love our early mornings and late night eating on the balcony. I also love watching the ship pull in to port. Sitting on our balcony in our jammies or robes is relaxing and fun. Listening to the ocean sounds... I love it all. This time will be an aft wrap and I can't wait.

I am in my cabin only to change, sleep and occasionally watch 1/2 hour of TV before I become unconscious due to the copious amounts of food, sun and activity. My answer would be, and is for us, no- not worth the $$$.

Me too..........but a balcony is not being inside the cabin;) Big difference....

Absolutely Y E S !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is no better place to select new cruises from brochures....

p1000469s.jpg

If it wasn't for those little clips it would look likethere was nothing between the ocean and the food

I am definitely not one of those who say once you have a balcony you won't want to go back. I've done both. 5 cruises - OV, OV, balcony, balcony, OV.. next two are balconies because the other people we are going with are balconies. I enjoy my time on the balcony but I really like to be out and about. I would not spend more than $100 extra for a balcony.

JMHO

We did a balcony once, and it was rainly/cloudy/drizzling the entire cruise. However, it was a free upgrade, so I didn't care.

I would only get one now if there was a minimal price difference.

It's kind of boring/isolating to sit out there for any length of time......

I have always had oceanview rooms, on our upcoming cruise on the Liberty we are getting a balcony and are very excited, I do have a question though I have read on here that many of you sleep with the door proped open at night. this might be a stupid question but don't you get anything flying in like bugs etc?

I agree with those who say it's a money thing. Without a doubt it's an "extra". There are sooo many good things about a cruise that a balcony should not factor into whether you have a wonderful time or not. However, if its a once a year or less event for you, and if you can afford it without giving up other things like exclusions, then get all the "extra" you can get. But if you have the vacation time and it's the difference between one cruise and two, I'd rather have two cruises and no balcony than one cruise with a balcony. But I'm also type of person that would rather have two ice cream cones with no topping as opposed to one cone with toppings.:D

this might be a stupid question but don't you get anything flying in like bugs etc?

This is a very fine question because I hate insects too, specially mosquitos or flies at night.

We had been never disturbed from insects at all, mostly the cabin door is closed at port you remain short time at your balcony, and at the ocean, there is no insect problem so you can enjoy the view and fresh air...and perhaps your dinner...

balconydinner014287252.jpg

I have always had oceanview rooms, on our upcoming cruise on the Liberty we are getting a balcony and are very excited, I do have a question though I have read on here that many of you sleep with the door proped open at night. this might be a stupid question but don't you get anything flying in like bugs etc?

I have on occassion seen a bug fly in, but the biggest issue is the "Humidity" you will draw into the room as it will cut off the a/c in your room and make it very muggy ! It also will cause the wind tunnel effect when you open your stateroom door to exot the room.

This is a very fine question because I hate insects too, specially mosquitos or flies at night.

We had been never disturbed from insects at all, mostly the cabin door is closed at port you remain short time at your balcony, and at the ocean, there is no insect problem so you can enjoy the view and fresh air...and perhaps your dinner...

balconydinner014287252.jpg

Gotta love those Princess balconies:)

Sleeping with the balcony door open was magical. Also, my daughters read books out there and loved it!!...especially on sea days when the chair hogs were out in full force!! You will love it!!

We always book an inside cabin because we would rather cruise more often than have a balcony. We have always found a quiet place to sit if we want one.We don't linger around the cabin. Once we are up we are gone for breakfast and find things to do. We did have a cat 12 on our first Fantasy cruise and while it was nice it certainly didn't convince us that we would never cruise without a balcony. Now my brother and mother always book a balcony but then they only cruise once a year so to them it is worth it. We do stop by and use my families balcony sometimes( my brother loves the wraps) but even in Alaska where we had two wraps we spent more time on deck than the balconys. It really comes down to the cruise experience you are looking at. If you want to just relax by yourselves than a balcony would probably be worth it to you. We have found that we like to be out and about all the time so for us a second cruise a year is more important. Cindy

We have always booked IS. We have been upgraded 2x to OV. We have never had a balcony. Since what I don't know won't hurt me, we will continue to book IS as it has always worked for us and the cost is so much better. Maybe when the kids are out of the house and we have retired......WAKE UP... I must stop dreaming like this...I still have 20 years to go...

We have always booked IS. We have been upgraded 2x to OV. We have never had a balcony. Since what I don't know won't hurt me, we will continue to book IS as it has always worked for us and the cost is so much better. Maybe when the kids are out of the house and we have retired......WAKE UP... I must stop dreaming like this...I still have 20 years to go...

Don't stop dreaming.....thats when the fun ceases !

We have our first cruise coming up and I booked a balcony. I have never been on a cruise ship, but once I saw pics of the inside rooms, I figured it would be worth it. I also asked the question before I booked and several people said the same things along with it being a place for you to sit out and relax with a cocktail as your spouse or guest gets ready for dinner.

I am so stinkin mad at myself! I had a jr suite on RCI and loved the balcony! (DH wasnt on the trip) But I booked IS gty for our first carnival due to cost. At that time, resident rate was $480 more for a balcony! I said I was going to wait! Then it went up to $520, then $620 more.. now today I was actually going to pull the trigger and the resident rate is gone and my IS was $539pp and the balcony is $899 :( UGHHH I so wanted to do it. Oh well, 41 days till sailing so maybe it will come down some and I will upgrade. I did have my TA note about an upsell, but there are a TON of IS cabins left! I want to treat him to his first balcony

We are going on a cruise on the Inspiration on July 9th and I am already looking to book a cruise for next summer. We have never been in a cabin that had a balcony - so I have been pricing some of them - there is such a huge difference in the price. I was pricing the Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale and I just can't help but wonder how that much of a price difference could be worth it. (Of course, I know that the price could drop if I booked Early Saver) but I think I may be better off just booking an oceanview which we always have before - but then that makes me wonder why we do that when an inside cabin is cheaper; not as much difference as between OV & Balcony but still Inside is cheaper than OV. We have never been on one of the larger ships and we are really within driving distance of anywhere in Florida; so I was looking at the Legend, Freedom & Liberty - anyone have any suggestions? And the ports aren't that important because we go because of the ship and not where it is going. We have never been to any of the private islands and we love Key West.

My initial thought is "YES!" but I realize that everyone is different with different priorities. My DW loves to have room service bring her tea and toast or bagels every morning which she enjoys on the balcony. I love to sit and watch the wake trail out befind the ship. Dw doesn't like the crowds of the pool areas but enjoys the peace and quiet of our balcony. For us the balcony is an integral part of our cruise enjoyment so it's worth the extra $$ to us.

You have to figure out what your priorities are and see how a balcony addresses them.

Archived