Transfer questions from Seattle to Vancouver

Big4Chaps

We arrive in Seattle the night before the cruise out of Vancouver with Holland America. I understand that there is 2 options to get from Seattle to Vancouver - Quick Shuttle & HAL transfer. Here's my questions:

1. Which one will get you to the ship the fastest?

2. If you travel with HAL's bus transfer & they are late getting you there, will they hold the ship until you are on it?

3. What's the pit falls with either the Quick Shuttle or HAL's bus?

Thanks! We are not seasoned cruisers & certainly not used to having to depend up transportation without our car. Anyone that can help us; it will certainly be appreciated at relieving my anxiety over getting on the ship.

According to the Quick Shuttle schedule, you can leave SeaTac at 6:30 a.m. and be at Canada Place Pier (HAL uses that one) at 11:10 a.m. or 8:00 - 12:40. Both will probably be earlier than HAL would get you there - the 6:30 bus will defiantly arrive earlier than a HAL bus. However, you'll probably be required to get off the bus at the border and take all your luggage through customs and immigration. We've never had to do that on a HAL bus. I've done both methods.

Hello,

There is a third option...rent a car at SEATAC (Seattle's airport) and drive to Vancouver. There can be delays at the border but usually not a long time. You can spend the evening at a motel in the Vancouver area and drop the car off in downtown Vancouver where the car rental agency will take you to the cruise terminal. This also gives you transportation to see a little of this very interesting and beautiful part of the world.

The one way car rental is not inexpensive but it is a nice ride through downtown Seattle on through Bellingham Washington and into Canada. There are many reasonably priced motels in Vancouver's suburban areas such as Surrey and Burnaby. We stayed at the Town and Country motel that is on the main highway near the border. It was not fancy but nice enough. And as I recall, Avis has one way rates.

Hello,

There is a third option...rent a car at SEATAC (Seattle's airport) and drive to Vancouver. There can be delays at the border but usually not a long time. You can spend the evening at a motel in the Vancouver area and drop the car off in downtown Vancouver where the car rental agency will take you to the cruise terminal. This also gives you transportation to see a little of this very interesting and beautiful part of the world.

The one way car rental is not inexpensive but it is a nice ride through downtown Seattle on through Bellingham Washington and into Canada. There are many reasonably priced motels in Vancouver's suburban areas such as Surrey and Burnaby. We stayed at the Town and Country motel that is on the main highway near the border. It was not fancy but nice enough. And as I recall, Avis has one way rates.

There is ongoing construction at the border at Vancouver (getting ready for the Olympics - unfortunately, it will still not be finished). In any event, the wait times average 30 min. - 2 hours.

Hello,

Thanks for the update on the Border Crossing, but renting a car is still a good option. You can reach the Vancouver area the night before the cruise. You can stay at a reasonably priced motel in the Vancouver area, and get to see some of Vancouver before you board the ship.

Before renting a car I would seriously look at Amtrak option, it is a very pleasant way of making the trip. I have to confess with the construction at the US Peace Arch crossing this year we have had waits southbound that have exceeded 3 hours on holiday weekends and with summer just around the corner even the corner lineups at the border aren't going to get any shorter.:)

Oh! I didn't know about the Olympics & the border crossing construction.

Hmmmm, the problem with driving to Vancouver the day before is that our SWA flight gets into Seattle at 9 PM & it's the only flight available to us out of Texas. But I might have to check on car rental that morning or what flights would cost from Seattle to Vancouver.

I'm not at all familiar with Seattle or Vancouver. But all of ya'll have given me alot to think about. I'm certainly open to any suggestions.

It's been about 5 years since we went out on a cruise & at that time, we were with another couple who made all of our arrangements. Now it's just the 2 of us, & I know the more I can be confident in what we're doing, the smoother & much more relaxing the vacation will be & the less my husband will panic!

Anything anyone can advise me on, please help!

Hello,

My recommendation to rent a car is not applicable in your situation. Given the lateness of the hour you are arriving in Seattle, I would use HAL's transportation. Most likely HAL's bus will leave the airport early the day of your cruise. Make sure you know exactly where their bus picks you up at the Seattle Airport. Also, find a hotel/motel that has a shuttle service to and from the airport to their property. You have lots of choices but don't delay as Seattle is a very busy airport

5th option - Take the Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver

We did this, and it will always get my vote! And you go through customs when you get off the train, and it's no hassle at all. Then just get a cab from the train station to Canada Place. Bonus - absolutely gorgeous scenery going across Puget Sound, not to mention roomy and able to move around and go to the dining car. Wonderful way to travel!

We figured out it is only about $30 more for hubby to fly from Seattle to Vancouver and use the free hotel shuttle. If he took the train or bus it would be fare plus a pretty expensive taxi ride.

This would definitely be my choice - and I would try to do it the night before. Can't imagine being on a shuttle the next day (even a HAL shuttle) and being held up at the border for hours - I'd be freaking. When we went, the TA tried to sell us HAL's air which would have taken us to Seattle the morning of the trip (with one connection) and then a shuttle to Vancouver. We elected to purchase our own which, although it cost $100 more, took us nonstop to Vancouver the night before. We stayed in a lovely hotel right across the street from the port and were totally relaxed in the morning. We were even able to check in and even check our luggage at the hotel, so no lines at the ship. Those who took the ship's transportation arrived late in the day and missed most of the first day on board.

Guest sizzzlin sailor

Haha! No shortage of ideas on here.

And here's another...

Go a day earlier and take the ferry from Seattle over to Victoria. Victoria is a beautiful place and absolutely worth several hours of poking around. Even spend the night there if you like. Then take another ferry (starts with a bus ride actually, but it's one ticket, on over to Vancouver. The bus drives right onto the ferry. Then it drives off and takes you to downtown Vancouver. The scenery is wonderful. The ferry ride is comfortable. The ship is a couple minutes' taxi from the bus terminal.

That said... not a THING wrong with the advice you're getting from the folks advocating the train. Me? I don't think I'd do the car rental option.

All of you have me thinking....

What airlines are available from Seattle to Vancouver & which one would you recommend?

And on the train - which I am seriously thinking about... We're from rural Texas where there are no trains within a 6 hour drive (or more) radius of us - so we've had absolutely no experience boarding them.

Do you have to get to their terminal 1-2 hours early?

Do you purchase tickets & check your baggage just like at the airports? Do they assign you seats?

Is there someone there to direct you as to which train & which car to get on?

Then once you get to Vancouver, is there easily understood signs to get you to your luggage?

Ya'll have given some great ideas. I certainly appreciate all of your recommendations! Thanks!!!

And on the train - which I am seriously thinking about... We're from rural Texas where there are no trains within a 6 hour drive (or more) radius of us - so we've had absolutely no experience boarding them.

Do you have to get to their terminal 1-2 hours early?

Do you purchase tickets & check your baggage just like at the airports? Do they assign you seats?

Is there someone there to direct you as to which train & which car to get on?

Then once you get to Vancouver, is there easily understood signs to get you to your luggage?

Ya'll have given some great ideas. I certainly appreciate all of your recommendations! Thanks!!!

We pre-bought our tickets because the train can sell out. We got there 1 hour before the train leaves (it leaves at 7:30am). You check your luggage and they will weigh every piece you check. You will get assigned seats at the station. As far as know where to go, the people who check your luggage will tell you what to do if you ask. When you get to Vancouver, they unload all the luggage right there beside the train and you grab yours. You have to have it with you when you walk through customs. If you are taking more luggage than you can handle on your own, this might be difficult.

Carmen,

As always you are providing this poster with an excellent suggestion, to take the train.

I have not taken the train from the Seattle airport to Canada Place in Vancouver. Do they have enough time on the day the cruise is scheduled to depart...train delays due to maintenance, accidents, the border crossing, and so on.

Further, getting a cab in Vancouver means moving your luggage from the train, finding a cab driver who knows where the cruise terminal is in Vancouver (don't laugh), paying the cab driver and then paying a porter to take the luggage from the cab into the cruise terminal.

And hopefully I am not being rude in any way but I suspect that the poster is not an experienced traveler and accordingly maybe it is best to keep it simple. The major benefit of HAL's bus is that the ship will not leave until all of HAL's transportation purchasers are on board the ship.

Nice hearing from you.

Fred

Amtrak's service between Seattle and Vancouver during the Alaska cruise season is excellent...the latest I have ever heard of a train being late is 20 mins. As cutsoms clears you on the train there are no lines to deal with. On arrival there will be lots of cabs waiting at the Pacific Central station where Amtrak arrives. By cab it is about a 5 min ride to Ballantyne Pier and 7 mins to Canada Place....no cabbie is not going to know where those two terminals are.

Carmen,

As always you are providing this poster with an excellent suggestion, to take the train.

I have not taken the train from the Seattle airport to Canada Place in Vancouver. Do they have enough time on the day the cruise is scheduled to depart...train delays due to maintenance, accidents, the border crossing, and so on.

Further, getting a cab in Vancouver means moving your luggage from the train, finding a cab driver who knows where the cruise terminal is in Vancouver (don't laugh), paying the cab driver and then paying a porter to take the luggage from the cab into the cruise terminal.

And hopefully I am not being rude in any way but I suspect that the poster is not an experienced traveler and accordingly maybe it is best to keep it simple. The major benefit of HAL's bus is that the ship will not leave until all of HAL's transportation purchasers are on board the ship.

Nice hearing from you.

Fred

Fred-

I had the same concerns back in 2007 when we were considering this. I received lots of input from many who live in Seattle and Vancouver and they all said the same thing Putterdudd did - that the latest Cascades will run is 20-30 minutes which would put you in Vancouver around 1pm. Plenty of time to get to the ship at either pier. Now, it is always a good thing to know which pier your ship uses because there are two.

The key for the OP is that their flight is a late one and they were already going to spend the night in Seattle. The Cascades train leaves at 7:30am, so an overnight is needed for this to be an option.

I'm not the most experienced traveler either, but I'm working on that and learning the ropes. I've learned so much from others here on CC and it's given me the confidence to do things like taking the train. It was a much better option for us since DS was only 6. The comfort and room was great but the ability to move around easily was invaluable.

We have used HAL's transfers a couple of times to go from Seattle to Vancouver.

You need to be picked up either at the airport or the Sheraton Downtown.

Yes -- they will hold the ship for HAL buses.

Yes -- they load your luggage onto the bus -- the driver unloads it at Canada Place -- the porters take over and see that the luggage is scanned and moved onto the ship.

The first time HAL provided snacks for us and we also had a pit stop for bathroom use before we got to the border and there were cookies for sale there.

The second time -- nothing from HAL.

We carry our own packaged snack crackers.

At the border the official just came looked at everyone and waved the bus through.

You will go through immigration again at Canada Place before you get on the ship.

The train really looks appealing. But, when I mentioned it to my husband, his apprehension was "could we figure out how to make all of the connections from Seattle hotel to the pier?" So, after looking at the train schedule, I'm even thinking about "what if we take the train back from Vancouver to Seattle?"

So, here's my question on that, Why are some of the icons on their schedule with the 510 Cascade & some of them show what looks like a bus?

All of you have me thinking....

What airlines are available from Seattle to Vancouver & which one would you recommend?

I don't know your travel dates, but some airlines that fly from SEA-YVR are Northwest, UA, Alaska and Air Canada. Price for a one way ticket is about $110. There are flights leaving as late as 11:00 pm. Flight is about 56 minutes.

Personally, I would never drive.

Hello,

You "would never drive"? Then how would you get to see some of the great Pacific Northwest and especially Seattle, Vancouver and the Olympic National Park? Sure, there are tours which are expensive but if you have some time...two or three days prior to your cruise a rental car will be an excellent option.

In this particular situation, though, renting a car is not the best option because of time constraints...arriving in Seattle at night and so on.

Fred

I don't know your travel dates, but some airlines that fly from SEA-YVR are Northwest, UA, Alaska and Air Canada. Price for a one way ticket is about $110. There are flights leaving as late as 11:00 pm. Flight is about 56 minutes.

Most of the flights are actually codeshares on regional carriers;

QK/Air Canada Jazz (Air Canada's regional carrier, and codeshare for most *A carriers such as United)

QX/Horizon Air (Alaska Air's regional carrier, and codeshare for DL/NW)

The only mainline service is 1xday on AS/Alaska (YVR-SEA 06:30 and SEA-YVR 23:00)

Archived