Michael's Club becoming Elite lounge.

C 2 C

I don't consider having a proper lunch with waiters attending in the main dining room to be a "perk" and the statements from Celebrity that there will no longer be dining room service on port days is an extreme form of lowering the quality of cruising with Celebrity. It wasn't that long ago that the MDR was open for lunch service on port days.

We have Sky Suites booked on two longer cruises and if, in addition to dining room closures, we are shut out of Michael's Club benefits because we are not quite yet Elite, we have no incentive to keep our current bookings or to book Celebrity in the future. It does not make me want to keep booking to get to the next level. It makes me think it's better to quit Celebrity now before spending money I could put aside for a more luxurious line.

Better two more luxurious cruises on another line for the money than three mediocre ones on Celebrity.

We don't live near a regular Celebrity embarkation port, and those folks that do are the ones that made it easily to Elite level, even those that take short, bargain-basement-priced cruises.

Just as Celebrity has given an extra credit for those sailing in CC or above, they could factor in the cabin category booked when offering up Michael's Club.

For example, those booked in Sky Suites who are at least Select level might make the grade where a new-to-Celebrity suite passenger might not be, though I actually favor allowing all suite passengers, regardless of level of suite, into the so-called Elite lounge.

We don't live near an embarkation port and we have not "easily" gotten to Elite Level. We have seriously worked at booking enough cruises to reach this level:D

Again, I'm just amazed that you would cancel your cruise if you don't get to use a lounge for two hours for free drinks. You booked your cruises BEFORE these benefits were announced so obvioulsy you must have liked the itinerary or ship, etc., or something:confused: And, why wouldn't you keep your cruises booked so you can reach the next level? Just not sure I follow your reasoning.

Also, my DH and I don't eat lunch in the main dining room so, for us, no lunch in the main dining room on port days is not a big deal--we don't miss it and don't view it as lowering standards or quality. But that's just us:D

Lucy

Four to six? Is there a dress code? Some people are still in their day clothes! Do they serve anything with the drinks?

$50 worth of free internet is an excellent offer.

Regarding this new perk for Elite and suite guests. I wonder if they like RCCL will up the number of cruises necessary to qualify for entrance to Michael's Club during these hours. Begining in Sept. RCCL diamond members (10 +cruises) will not be able to enjoy the Concierge Lounge and or the alternate lounge for free drinks. Entrance will be limited to Diamond plus (24 cruises or more) and suite guests.

Four to six? Is there a dress code? Some people are still in their day clothes! Do they serve anything with the drinks?

$50 worth of free internet is an excellent offer.

There used to be a dress code on RCCL but unfortunately on our Alaska cruise in May people came into the lounge in shorts, T-shirts and flip flops,:( it really ruined the atmosphere. Celebrity hopefully will set some standards for proper dress.

Regarding this new perk for Elite and suite guests. I wonder if they like RCCL will up the number of cruises necessary to qualify for entrance to Michael's Club during these hours. Begining in Sept. RCCL diamond members (10 +cruises) will not be able to enjoy the Concierge Lounge and or the alternate lounge for free drinks. Entrance will be limited to Diamond plus (24 cruises or more) and suite guests.

I don't know how many I have, but certainly not 24. I guess there goes the free drinks!

There used to be a dress code on RCCL but unfortunately on our Alaska cruise in May people came into the lounge in shorts, T-shirts and flip flops,:( it really ruined the atmosphere. Celebrity hopefully will set some standards for proper dress.

Being a late diner, I wouldn't get dressed for the evening between 4 and 6. If Celebrity wants pax "dressed", they are really catering to the earlybirds.

Having just announced this new perk for Elite, I think there would be uproar if they introduce another level and only allow Elite+, before it's even begun.

Maybe they will introduce another level with additional extra perks.

Maybe they will introduce another level with additional extra

perks.

One set of wonderful perks for Elites (especially those with flexible hours), another set (to be announced eventually) for those who are truly addicted (25 and more) and rewarded for their repeat sailings. I can only speculate what those perks will be but I believe they will be significant.

I believe that X will not make the same PR mistake made by RCI. Celebrity could just have had a simple press release but their marketing department teased us with their "It's New, it's Blue, and It's all about you" campaign. They also used facebook to announce it, certainly not a traditional medium. To me it means they want to be innovative and are evaluating the impact of potential announcements before making them.

Team, 'X' just announced these perks. They are nice deals and pretty well explained.

But we are now convenced or at least want to start the rumor-mill that right after being introduced, it will be restricted to some non-existant Super Elite, or that they intenionally set the lounge up so I can't use it because it's too early, too late, etc, or the internet hrs aren't enough and I know of another line that gives more hrs (one person even said how Canard had more hrs, forgetting to mention the price difference to use those 'free' hrs), and if you don't dress 'properly' for basicly a Happy Hour during the afternoon it will be ruined.

Personally, I'm more then upset that they will have free laundry and dry cleaning. Now I won't have an excuse when I wear my dirty, stained and wrinkled shirts and pants the last few days of the cruise. How terrible of 'X'. I think I'll go over to another line immedately! They've ruined the cruise experience for me with all these freebees.

By the way, I plan to step into the lounge in just my speedo - that way, I'll get all the free drinks I want when everybody runs out of the place horrified. Aren't you glad I left you with that word-picture!

Denny

Team, 'X' just announced these perks. They are nice deals and pretty well explained.

But we are now convenced or at least want to start the rumor-mill that right after being introduced, it will be restricted to some non-existant Super Elite, or that they intenionally set the lounge up so I can't use it because it's too early, too late, etc, or the internet hrs aren't enough and I know of another line that gives more hrs (one person even said how Canard had more hrs, forgetting to mention the price difference to use those 'free' hrs), and if you don't dress 'properly' for basicly a Happy Hour during the afternoon it will be ruined.

Personally, I'm more then upset that they will have free laundry and dry cleaning. Now I won't have an excuse when I wear my dirty, stained and wrinkled shirts and pants the last few days of the cruise. How terrible of 'X'. I think I'll go over to another line immedately! They've ruined the cruise experience for me with all these freebees.

By the way, I plan to step into the lounge in just my speedo - that way, I'll get all the free drinks I want when everybody runs out of the place horrified. Aren't you glad I left you with that word-picture!

Denny

Denny, I hope you start an exercise programme pronto!

Denny

You are just to funny!:D I can't wait to cruise with you:) I'm also booked on the Sept 2010 wine crusie if you would care to join us

But we are now convenced or at least want to start the rumor-mill that right after being introduced, it will be restricted to some non-existant Super Elite, or that they intenionally set the lounge up so I can't use it because it's too early, too late, etc, or the internet hrs aren't enough and Denny

Just returned from Mexico and Mariner of the Seas ... they announced these new Celebrity perks at the Crown & Anchor party ... and ... they made a point of saying that Celebrity has no intention of creating a new Elite (Plus) category. As odd as it seems, it appears that Celebrity is going in the direct opposite direction from RCCL. "Many" Celebrity folks came to RCCL to get the "Diamond" benefits, and 'many' RCCL folks (encluding us) will now be migrating to Celebrity. Go figure! We have done Celebrity in addition to our numerous RCCL cruises, and the only drawback we found was Celebrity's 'loyalty' program. They have now fixed theirs while RCCL has destroyed theirs.:confused: Call me an "X" man.:D

Just returned from Mexico and Mariner of the Seas ... they announced these new Celebrity perks at the Crown & Anchor party ... and ... they made a point of saying that Celebrity has no intention of creating a new Elite (Plus) category. As odd as it seems, it appears that Celebrity is going in the direct opposite direction from RCCL. "Many" Celebrity folks came to RCCL to get the "Diamond" benefits, and 'many' RCCL folks (encluding us) will now be migrating to Celebrity. Go figure! We have done Celebrity in addition to our numerous RCCL cruises, and the only drawback we found was Celebrity's 'loyalty' program. They have now fixed theirs while RCCL has destroyed theirs.:confused: Call me an "X" man.:D

First of all, the RCCL perks are still very nice - better than most other cruiselines. They have the CL for Plussers and the other Lounge open until 8.00pm for Diamonds.

Celebrity's Lounge is only open between 4.00pm & 6.00pm. The perks are now very nice on both - different - but better than other lines!!

Sorry, just don't agree that RCCL destroyed their perks. They did what they had to do to make the CL a pleasant place to have a drink, rather than a total zoo. I can only hope that the new Celebrity 'free drinks' arrangement doesn't attract too many people and have to be revised. It was all due to greedy people who just wanted to sit and consume as much as possible within the time it was open. We were disgusted at times!! Some Members stood in line at 4.30pm, rushed in at 5.00pm, reserved seats for friends and sat it out until dinner at 8.00pm. I hope that Celebrity will put a limit on drinks for individuals, if the situation gets out of hand as it did on RCCL!!!

I think RCI have learnt their lesson and won't let the situation escalate as it did on RCCL.

I can only hope that the new Celebrity 'free drinks' arrangement doesn't attract too many people and have to be revised. It was all due to greedy people who just wanted to sit and consume as much as possible within the time it was open. We were disgusted at times!! Some Members stood in line at 4.30pm, rushed in at 5.00pm, reserved seats for friends and sat it out until dinner at 8.00pm. I hope that Celebrity will put a limit on drinks for individuals, if the situation gets out of hand as it did on RCCL!!!

I think RCI have learnt their lesson and won't let the situation escalate as it did on RCCL.

I too really hope lesson learned here. I've read similar stories about the Concierge Lounge and also of people so desperate to get their free drink(s) that they used the CL when they shouldn't have been there anyway. It ruins it for everyone else. Perhaps the 4 'til 6 time on Celebrity will keep this to a minimum. I think it will be a nice way to meet other avid Celebrity cruisers in a convivial atmosphere and hopefully not a free opportunity to get plastered!:eek:

Phil

First of all, the RCCL perks are still very nice - better than most other cruiselines. They have the CL for Plussers and the other Lounge open until 8.00pm for Diamonds.

Celebrity's Lounge is only open between 4.00pm & 6.00pm. The perks are now very nice on both - different - but better than other lines!!

Sorry, just don't agree that RCCL destroyed their perks. They did what they had to do to make the CL a pleasant place to have a drink, rather than a total zoo. I can only hope that the new Celebrity 'free drinks' arrangement doesn't attract too many people and have to be revised. It was all due to greedy people who just wanted to sit and consume as much as possible within the time it was open. We were disgusted at times!! Some Members stood in line at 4.30pm, rushed in at 5.00pm, reserved seats for friends and sat it out until dinner at 8.00pm. I hope that Celebrity will put a limit on drinks for individuals, if the situation gets out of hand as it did on RCCL!!!

Some more compulsive cheerleading. And the generalizations about the 'abuse' of the CL are a bit over the top. Or, perhaps the 'earlybird' special folks behave differently. On our cruise last week there was 'no' overcrowding in the CL. I was never there more than a half hour at a time, so I don't know if anyone was 'parked' there, but the tables and chairs seemed to get 'turned over' rather rapidly ... a drink or two, a snack or two, and out the door. The Concierge normally had two assistants in the evening, and the lounge was mostly empty the rest of the day. The 'dungeon' ... oops ... the Dragon's Lair, was used as a 'Diamond Lounge' ... but I don't know how that worked out because we always found seating available in the CL thirty minutes before our late dining hour. The 'coupon' book??? Worthless. Save the two for one wine coupons and the rest is suitable for 'other' uses. Nice cruise though. The Mexican Riviera is very young, and very high energy, during the summer time.

I agree that RCL has not destroyed the perks. The new nightly Diamond event with free wine and champagne is just as nice, in my opinion, as the old Diamond lounge. Better, in fact, because it will be offered on *all* ships. And while it is a bummer that we cannot "combine" discounts, I do understand the motivation for the move. It is still one of the best vacation values on the planet.

Celebrity has done a good job of making their program more attractive. Let's hope that both lines continue adding some small surprises and incentives to keep the programs interesting.

I agree that RCL has not destroyed the perks. The new nightly Diamond event with free wine and champagne is just as nice, in my opinion, as the old Diamond lounge. Better, in fact, because it will be offered on *all* ships. And while it is a bummer that we cannot "combine" discounts, I do understand the motivation for the move. It is still one of the best vacation values on the planet.

Celebrity has done a good job of making their program more attractive. Let's hope that both lines continue adding some small surprises and incentives to keep the programs interesting.

Each is certainly entitled to an opinion about whether "enhancements" is the appropriate word. But I know that you can count some of the RCCL agents on the list of folks who believe the changes are 'excessive'. The fellow who called to confirm my booking details assured me that the people in the office believe that raising the credit requirement for the CL from 10 to 24, and then not grandfathering those who had already earned the benefit, was clearly outrageous. He told me to be sure to write to the company explaining my 'concerns'. I assured him that I had. He also expressed the belief that additional 'changes' would be necessary to minimize the adverse effects of the 'enhancements'.

As to the enhancements in the coupon booklet, I can recommend another cost cutting measure. The booklet is a waste of paper, and it is not in concert with the 'Save the Waves' program ... another wasted tree. "But wait" ... you can get a discount on a bottle of wine so long as it costs more than $100 per bottle.:rolleyes:

Each is certainly entitled to an opinion about whether "enhancements" is the appropriate word. But I know that you can count some of the RCCL agents on the list of folks who believe the changes are 'excessive'. The fellow who called to confirm my booking details assured me that the people in the office believe that raising the credit requirement for the CL from 10 to 24, and then not grandfathering those who had already earned the benefit, was clearly outrageous. He told me to be sure to write to the company explaining my 'concerns'. I assured him that I had. He also expressed the belief that additional 'changes' would be necessary to minimize the adverse effects of the 'enhancements'.

As to the enhancements in the coupon booklet, I can recommend another cost cutting measure. The booklet is a waste of paper, and it is not in concert with the 'Save the Waves' program ... another wasted tree. "But wait" ... you can get a discount on a bottle of wine so long as it costs more than $100 per bottle.:rolleyes:

I am sure that Adam Goldstein would be most interested to hear what his reps at the bottom of the feed chain, think about his decision - NOT!!!!

Some of the behaviour, arguments, rudeness and lack of concern for other people, because of a few free drinks, had to be seen to be believed!!

Let's hope that Celebrity can control the situation.:( It is more limited, and the hours not so convenient, so here's hoping it will succeed.

We're just off Connie, and the lounge was a great addition to our cruise experience. The place was never really busy, certainly nothing like the mob scene our only RC concierge lounge experience was. The visits from the Ocean Liners staff with tastings of Goat Cheese Soufflé and port & cheese were appreciated.

We hope this perk continues.

We're just off Connie, and the lounge was a great addition to our cruise experience. The place was never really busy, certainly nothing like the mob scene our only RC concierge lounge experience was. The visits from the Ocean Liners staff with tastings of Goat Cheese Soufflé and port & cheese were appreciated.

We hope this perk continues.

That sounds lovely:) I will be on Mercury in Sept and although

there is no Specialty Restaurant I think maybe they will pass around

some sort of goodies;)

Archived