On a 10 day HAL cruise, when is the special price laundry day?

ontheweb

I have had great luck with the HAL Laundry on many cruises - mostly long ones when laundry was needed.

OP - I personally would not send in anything that was silk, even washable silk or silk-like fabrics. Bras I do by hand on ships. I have some clothes, like some jeans, that every time I wash them at home they shrink, but after wearing them a few hours they "stretch" enough to be comfortable again. The same thing happens onboard. Over the years, most of the "shrinkage" my clothes experienced on cruises it was NOT the laundry's fault. I finally had to acknowledge that while the pants seem to shrink in length, once I lost my cruise fat the were normal length again. As you add fill to your tummy/waist the pants actually pull the pant leg upward. Loose weight and magically the pants are long again.

Our tablemates had 2 bad experiences with laundry. The man had 2 or 3 silk Tommy Bahama shirts shrunk and the woman had a long gown w/ knife pleats from under the bust to the floor ironed flat. We never heard how they were going to handle this.

I suggest that not sending such items to a ship's laundry come under the heading of common sense.

BTW, we were tablemates with a couple last year who said that she uses shampoo to wash her items in the sink. I had never thought of doing that, having always traveled with a bottle of detergent. Haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it has any adverse effects on clothing, but it is certainly more convenient and cheaper if using the ship's shampoo. Any comments?

BTW, we were tablemates with a couple last year who said that she uses shampoo to wash her items in the sink. I had never thought of doing that, having always traveled with a bottle of detergent. Haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it has any adverse effects on clothing, but it is certainly more convenient and cheaper if using the ship's shampoo. Any comments?

I don't like hand washing socks without being able to tumble dry them - they get all stretched out when washed by hand and line dried.

BTW, the only reason I bounced this old (2009) thread was to inquire about laundry bag specials. You all are, to an extent, kinda wasting your time replying to previous posts.

I don't like hand washing socks without being able to tumble dry them - they get all stretched out when washed by hand and line dried.

BTW, the only reason I bounced this old (2009) thread was to inquire about laundry bag specials. You all are, to an extent, kinda wasting your time replying to previous posts.

Sometimes it's much easier for everyone if you just start a new thread for your questions. Most people will have had to scroll through numerous posts to even reach your question and some will not even bother to keep on reading after the first couple. A new thread would have gotten attention much quicker.

Sometimes it's much easier for everyone if you just start a new thread for your questions. Most people will have had to scroll through numerous posts to even reach your question and some will not even bother to keep on reading after the first couple. A new thread would have gotten attention much quicker.

Very wise advice.

Never having laundry done on a ship before I am curious as to just how much you can stuff into this bag. What is an approximate amount?

A whole lot as I recall - in February we had a bag hold 2 or 3 dress shirts, 5 boxer shorts, 5 tee shirts, 2 polo shirts, 3 nightgowns 5 panties , at least 1 camisole, several pairs of socks 1 Bermuda shorts (at least - I think a bit more) - and it all came back neatly pressed, folded - for $20.

Agreed, but if the topic is something which interests you and it has been brought up to date, it is not that hard to go to latest post - which is what I always do anyway -- it is the topic which I find to be as interesting as other peoples' thoughts about it.