SD2 Fall '10 Transatlantic Crossing

ctbjr1309

I should have taken "crazilyfrequenttraveler" as my handle for this board as I'm definitely that for business. Definitely consider joining Starwood's SPG program. It's the best in the industry with better service, upgrades and benefits for elite levels than Marriott, Hilton, Priority Club, etc. Also, I think Starwood's properties are better on balance; Westin, W, overseas Sheratons (not in the US) and, especially, their "Luxury Collection."

unfortunately work interferred with dinner plans last night (or inability to access work system until rest of guests went to dinner) but had fabulous day. started out with a bit of rain but turned out into a gorgeous afternoon. Must recommend the iimpromptu disco dancing with waiter Werner on deck six at lunchtime. The lovely english ladies put in their own music -- I believe lady ga ga started it off and by the time they got to "its raining men" - a number of Americans had joined in and in one of his passes through, so did Werner. So much fun.

Poor waiter Enes, he's gotten to know our group too well also. While he's only on his first contract, he's clearly destined for a great future at SD but I think we heard him muttering something yesterday about "abandoning ship" if it wasn't so far to land. Seriously, that's the great thing about SD, getting to know the crew and staff well enough to build those relationships. Yesterday morning after having lamb chops for breakfast (cooked to perfection and just the right portion size) I kept eyeing the extra crisy bacon going by to other diners. When I ordered a serving Enes brought back a portion equal to half a pig. After I put several pieces on a piece of toast and seeing that no others at the table were eating the rest, Enes swooped back and took away the rest "to save me from myself". That's the good thing about having to work so much this trip, so my will power seems to have gone overboard. . . .

tonight is karoke . . . uh oh. looks like it will be another great day.

i've seen dj's notes. will definitely be a treatise when she posts.

ft

most sunny day of the entire voyage today (finally). my recommendation if addicted to sunshine - fall crosssing should start in Tenerife, not in Northern climates and a week earlier. This has been worst weather of 4 fall crossings that I've made. Not bad, just cloudy and some rain almost every day.

The soups are so good this trip we've decided that we could do a dinner of just soups. Not sure if the rest of the guests would agree but our little band does. lunch today was cream of cauliflower and it was another hit. Tested the "to go concept" for the first time on SD today. Had to make a 1:00 conference call, so I ordered the steak sandwich - had to leave before it was ready. A smiling June delivered it to my cabin -- with the ketchup & mayonnaise I like for the fries (not requested of course - just magically appeared). Made working through lunch quite enjoyable. Did have to pass on the cheese ravioli (pasta has been excellent through out this voyage too).

Tonight is the Caribbean theme dinner.

Actually started the day off by going to the gym - crepes were the special of the day for breakfast. Between the exotic French toast, Belgian waffles with cream and stawberries,and other goodies, there's always dessert for breakfast if you like. I tend to be boring sticking with poached eggs and crispy bacon (only two pieces arrived today) but my Cappuchino always arrives at the table shortly after I do.

Hardy Norwegians were in the pool today. Still not hot enough for this coward to enter the water. Water is warm, but the wind when you get out is not. This may be the first SD voyage ever where I don't enter the water. We'll see.

Close approaching the end. Nasty departure slips had to be turned in by noon today. We wondered what would happen if we didn't meet the deadline - would SD turn around and go back? Throw us overboard?

There's been a lot of discussion of the Brazilian itineraries by the guests on board. apparently theres some bookings already. Be interesting to see how quickly this fills up. too bad we have to work to go on vacations. Where is that rich unknown relative who is going to leave me the fortune?

FT

The soups are so good this trip we've decided that we could do a dinner of just soups. Not sure if the rest of the guests would agree but our little band does. lunch today was cream of cauliflower and it was another hit.

FT

I'll chime in here that the other soup was also delicious. It was a Thai recipe called Tom Yum something or another and was spicy shrimp. Delicious.

Today’s agenda is a full one – both the degustation menu tonight and the Crew Show!. A nap is in order today for sure. One of the guests is speaking today – “ a video and presentation on the Dutch merchant trading ship “Batavia” which ran aground in 1628 off Australia. What Happened???”. The Captain spoke yesterday on "Hiking Mt. Kilimanjaro – Not Once But Twice." And those are on top of the on board guest lecturers. Today’s spa special – Any 60 minutes full body massage for $138 plus free haircut or shampoo & blow dry . Yesterday’s was 60 minute Thai Massage for $138 plus free Thai Pajamas. Since I am especially looking forward to today’s passaround of spicy chicken wings and tempura prawns, will be heading to gym shortly.

Captain was discussing last night how economical this trip has been on fuel since we’ve been moving with favorable currents most of the trip – averaging close to 50 knots an hour. He was going to be able to shortly cut back to one engine and today is our last day out of sight of land. Unfortunately the seas did not allow a mid Atlantic stop and swim but we are still hoping for a “surprise stop” tomorrow. Let’s see what the day brings. Another gorgeous sunrise so far.

Stuck to two courses at dinner last night – spicy shrimp entrée was very good – loaded with fresh herbs. Can’t wait to get a copy of the menu and get a better description of ingredients.

Internet functioned great yesterday. Hopefully, kinks are all worked out.

have to comment again, what a great group of fellow guests. when you are on a small yacht for 11 days with no stops, there is no escaping. And so when there are "guests" who are rude to other guests or even worse, to staff and crew of SD, it can ruin portions of the days. Nothing this time around like that. So its been excellent. Thanks to the gods of passenger lists.

FT

Captain was discussing last night how economical this trip has been on fuel since we’ve been moving with favorable currents most of the trip – averaging close to 50 knots an hour.

FT

do not type before having caffeine. Should be 15 knots per hr. And did go to one engine around midnight.

Just missed the whale sighting this morning. Apparently breached right in front of bow just before I arrived in the gym. Now birds are feeding.

FT

these 25 hr days are something. yesterday was perfect weather day. sunny and hot. actually got in the pool where it was standing room only.

Had the typical Champagne Splash Beach barbeque without the beach or champagne splash for lunch. It was top notch as always. barbeque ribs, chicken, grilled shrimp, prime rib, wonderful sausage (I can't spell the real name), hot dogs plus all the sides -corn on the cob, baked potatoes, mustard potato salad, cole slaw, plus fruit and desserts and more. No one went hungry (and that was after passarounds) and before the degustation menu (all 8 courses last night).

My first crew talent show last night and boy are they talented - singers and dancers. Though I'm not sure what Werner as the "black swan" accompanied by Enes, Peter, Nikolas and others at the "white swans" could really be called - burlesque maybe?

Zoltan was in a great mood yesterday - from sneaking up behind me poolside as I was debating how to ease myself in the water and spritzing me with cold water, to surprising me with the largest cosmo I've ever seen - the equivalent of 6 or 7 drinks at least, in a giant martini glass at the cocktail hour. Pictures will probably be posted sometime - thank goodness I had no designs on a political career. These would have killed it. But no alcohol was involved (and none was wasted) as it was all a prop! (of course any tag line won't note that). The giant cosmo reappeared at the crew show and more pictures were taken - and I don't have a hangover this morning! Hey, I've found a way to keep up with Brits and Norwegians!

Today, we have the champagne and caviar "service". Much tamer when poolside. Before that, I'm trying out the caviar facial. One last splurge. Then keeping my fingers crossed that the Captain will make a little detour through one of the BVI's. WE've heard swell could be up today due to storms up in the Atlantic somewhere. Or I think I heard that a couple of days ago. My brain cells have turned to mush . . . but suitcase is open and must start to pack. . .not now . .. As Scarlett O' said . . . tomorrow .. . tomorrow.

FT

FT: Thanks for "taking us along" with you. Glad you had such good weather and a great bunch of fellow travelers. We are still waiting for DJs book.:D Ok, Philip, FT is coming home soon. Time to do the laundry & start washing those dirty dishes.:eek:

J.

FT: Thanks for "taking us along" with you. Glad you had such good weather and a great bunch of fellow travelers. We are still waiting for DJs book.:D Ok, Philip, FT is coming home soon. Time to do the laundry & start washing those dirty dishes.:eek:

J.

You are correct.

Interesting report from Daniel, the CAD. Seems that they made such good time they made a detour and anchored off Beef Island in the BVI this afternoon. Plans were for dinner outside but the rain drove them back to the main salon. I wonder if they stayed long enough to make a stop at Foxy's?

no, we were not allowed to stop at Foxy's. We just did a drive buy, but it was a very cool event anyway. SD 1 was anchored just off White Bay. And we got to "circle" it. So we saw a mirror image of ourselves. I now know what we must look like at night all lit up. It was fantastic. .

Outside Puerto Rico right now. I can see the lights from my cabin. Breakfast is early 7 to 8:30 and then we are being kicked off. Captain announced that he will not be able to say good bye at the gangway as his normal custom due to the Coast Guard, US Public Health and other numerous inspections. (I'm still griping about the fact we can't get poached eggs in a US port . . . hello, how about the egg disaster here in the US? . . . if the govn't applied the same standards that SD uses half the restaurants in the US would be out of business, heck, I wouldn't be allowed to eat in my own kitchen)

internet was awful again yesterday. I'm using my wireless Verizon card right now.

Dinner was fantastic --- surf and turf. potato and leek soup. Foi gras. Chocolate soufflé with godiva sauce. Thank goodness I bought some loose clothing to wear home.

Some lucky 12 passengers are staying on for another week. I wish I was. After seeing St. Martin, Sombrero Island (a first), Peter Island, Virgin Gorda yesterday (it was a lovely sail), we anchored off Beef Island in Tortola. The flags flew and when the bikes were brought out and a crew member climbed on top of one of the tenders we were teased for a moment. But no, we weren’t allowed off – I still don’t know why the bikes were out of the normal storage closet. Cleaning?

During dinner we pulled up anchor and sailed past Souper’s Hole and then on to Jost Van Dyke.. Foxy’s seemed pretty quiet To our surprise, the Captain then began a maneuver which led us to make a complete circle around SD1. Horns were tooted, the ships were lit up and waves and whistles were exchanged. We then began our trek to San Juan.

I wonder if they stayed long enough to make a stop at Foxy's?

No Foxy's but we did have a chance to do a drive by of SD 1 on our way from the BVI to San Juan. They were anchored off of White Bay, JVD and we stopped to pay our respects before proceeding on our way to San Juan where we are scheduled to arrive in just over an hour.

Thanks so much for taking us along. I've so enjoyed the posts! Makes me even more excited about our Dec. 14 voyage.

Safe travels back home to all you SDers.

Edited to add: When you mentioned your Verizon card, I was reminded of a question I wanted to ask. I plan on bringing my I-pad, as well as my I-phone. Do you know if St. Thomas, San Juan, etc. require roaming, or are they considered like the US? And for that matter, does SD block the signal so you have to use their wireless while onboard?

DJ's Dh and I are home safe and sound after a long sad day of travel. The piles of laundry and mail are huge. At least the laundry smells like Bulgari White:p Oh how I am missing my beloved SD2 and her crew right now!

I apologize for not posting "live" but as you have read from FT's and ctbjr's postings we were extremely busy and the internet was a huge issue this trip. I filled some 20 pages of my journal with notes and will be working on my newest installment of "Gone With The Wind ... SeaDream Style" in the coming days.

Edited to add: When you mentioned your Verizon card, I was reminded of a question I wanted to ask. I plan on bringing my I-pad, as well as my I-phone. Do you know if St. Thomas, San Juan, etc. require roaming, or are they considered like the US? And for that matter, does SD block the signal so you have to use their wireless while onboard?

SD does not block signals.

their wireless was not fully operational while on board. Internet was a fiasco but while operational, I used "plug" in above desk in cabin.

Check with your carrier to determine whats covered. Its different with each carrrier and can be different based on your plan.

back in the office today and in SD withdrawal.

FT

I filled some 20 pages of my journal with notes and will be working on my newest installment of "Gone With The Wind ... SeaDream Style" in the coming days.

Can't wait!

FT, thanks for your kindness in always answering my questions. Ugh on the first day back at work.

as I pulled out of the garage this morning (before 6 am), XM radio started playing the Kenny Chesney song - When the Song Goes Down . . . talk about kicking in SD withdrawal . . .

Cause when the sun goes down, we'll be groovin (at the TOYBar)

When the sun goes down, we'll be feelin all right (with Clint and Zoltan as your bartenders definitely, all right)

When the sun sinks down over the water

Everything gets hotter when the sun goes down

All day long just takin it easy

Layin in the Bali Bed where it's nice and breezy:D

Sleepin off the night before

Cause when the sun goes down, we'll be back for more

Guess where I won't be tonight! :(

FT

as I pulled out of the garage this morning (before 6 am), XM radio started playing the Kenny Chesney song - When the Song Goes Down . . . talk about kicking in SD withdrawal . . .

Cause when the sun goes down, we'll be groovin (at the TOYBar)

When the sun goes down, we'll be feelin all right (with Clint and Zoltan as your bartenders definitely, all right)

When the sun sinks down over the water

Everything gets hotter when the sun goes down

All day long just takin it easy

Layin in the Bali Bed where it's nice and breezy:D

Sleepin off the night before

Cause when the sun goes down, we'll be back for more

Guess where I won't be tonight! :(

FT

I see that we have successfully converted you from a pool lounger to a Bali Bed lounger:p

Now back to laundry and mail :mad:

Archived