Lisa&Neb

what should we do?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. what should we do?

• Go NCL - Better ports
    • Go NCL - Cheaper
    • Go Princess - better ports
    • Go Princess - better line
    • I have no option... I just want to vote!!!

we are looking at taking a cruise for our 5th anni. We have narrowed it down to 2 cruises.....

1. The Car. Princess out of San Jaun. It is doing the southern, which we have never done... cost 2750 CND for a BB bal on the aft of the ship!!!

2. NCL Pearl out of Miami. It is doing eastern, which we have never done. Cost 2450CND for a BA on the Aft of the ship.

Pros to NCL... miami is easier and cheaper to get to. the crusie is cheaper. We are 4 time crusiers so better rewards. Love free style.

Cons to NCL - out fo Miami might mean lots of College students as it could be spring break time. One less port day (or 2 if you coult GSC as a ship day)

Pros to Princess - Really like the idea of 6 ports in 7 days. IT has as you like it dining. Trying something new. Bigger ship (could also be a con)

Cons to Princess - cost to get to San Jaun, Flight times home from SJ kind of suck. No past guest rewards.

Please vote and post a comment if you want!!!

You're asking on the Princess forum, so you are going to get Princess answers. For me, there is no comparison between the two; I'd choose Princess for FOOD and entertainment hands-down! My NCL experiences (five if counting a B2B as two) were OK and the Pearl was a beautiful ship. But since you like NCL, either cruise should be fine for you.

If you decide to go with Princess, check your BB prior to booking as some of the aft balconies have obstructed views (beam) or are next to a noisy, sometimes smelly vent.

Gotta agree, this is a Princess board so the vote is going to be swayed toward Princess.

You have sailed NCL before and enjoy that line, but it's nice to try another cruise line if you are able.

Have sailed NCL before and have to admit it is not my favorite cruise line. Which ever you choose, have a wonderful time:)

Are yo running the same poll in the NCL board? People over here may be slightly prejudiced towards Princess.

And the NCL forum will be biased toward NCL.

OP has NCL experience so knows what to expect sailing with that line. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to try Princess and come to your own conclusions?

Despite the slant toward Princess, and the fact that I am a Princess cruiser, I would say the Southern Caribbean itinerary would be my preference. IMO, it's the best of the Caribbean options. I've done all 3, and definitely prefer the Southern. The ports were beautiful, and for the most part, not as "touristy".

To me, Princess is classy, without being stuffy. We love the tropical ambiance of the light woods and pastel decor Princess uses. The ship may be big, but that does not equate to feeling crowded. Food, entertainment and service are all great. Love Anytime Dining because the food is the same as in the main dinng room, but you get to eat on your schedule.

If you plan well in advance, and monitor airfares closely, good deals to San Juan are out there.

Whichever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful anniversary cruise.

Did you consider a 10 day Southern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale?

For what you'd pay to fly to San Juan you might be able to cruise 3 extra days!

I don't know when your anniversary is but the Emerald and Ruby Princess have GREAT Southern itineraries!

I just looked at your signature and I think you're looking at March 2010. The Ruby has 2 Southern itineraries in 2010 that are both great!

It's a new ship and would be a GREAT alternative if you can manage the 10 days!

I would go with Princess because of the itinerary and because of the more port days. Yes, princess is my favorite but I cruise other lines if the itinerary or price is better/different. Also my favorite route is the Southern and although more expensive there is something about leaving from San Juan that adds to the cruise atrmosphere. Also Miami is my least favorite airport.

I'll be on the march 30th Ruby with the whole family. Around this time of year I would not even consider another cruise line because it's spring break. Most college springbreakers would not consider the Princess line a party ship. So I guess it really depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. If you want lots of family and kids and parties choose RCL. If you are looking for a little less of the formentioned choose princess. Also take into the account the ports. Price should be down at the bottom Because if you really don't care for the ports you can ruin a good cruise.

I like both cruise lines, but loved the cruise out of San Juan last December and would recommend it over sailing out of Miami. We flew in a couple of days early had a great couple of pre-cruise days in San Juan. Personally, I liked having 6 ports in 7 days and loved Bonaire and Aruba. Nothing against NCL, but I think Princess has the better itinerary.

Wishing you happy sailing no matter who you pick.

I love Princess, but sometimes change is good. You love NCL, but sometimes change is good. For me, the itinerary is usually the deciding factor. That's why right now I am looking at an NCL Bermuda cruise for 2010; you can't get there on a 7 day cruise on Princess. I love "anytime dining" so it's NCL's "freestyle" that's pulling me toward NCL. It's been 20 years since I've been on an NCL ship and I think it's about time to check them out again; if I'm not pleased with them, at least I will have spent a few delightful days in Bermuda. And I bet that I find somethings that I definitely like better on NCL. If you try Princess I bet you'll find the same thing about them. Whichever cruise you choose, I wish you a very happy anniversary!:)

Archived