Effect of Oasis on Port Everglades?

Crustar

We're considering an early December cruise on the Eurodam. However, I'm worried that since the ship leaves on Saturdays out of Port Everglades, the port will be a madhouse with the addition of RCCL's Oasis starting in December.

It's been years since we've sailed from Port Everglades so I'm not familar with how well the port handles traffic. We will be driving & using one of the off-site parking lots. Any ideas on what to expect traffic wise? I hate to start out a vacation by sitting on a shuttle bus for hours. Or to ruin a great vacation fighting traffic back to the car.

I'm really in love with the Eurodam & its itinerary. However, I see that the Westerdam does a similar route, but leaves on Sundays (& is roughly $100 pp cheaper). Has anyone sailed on both ships? Is the Eurodam worth fighting Oasis traffic?

Thanks in advance for the advice!:)

P.S. This will be our first cruise with HAL.

Having sailed on both, I would sail on Westerdam. Port Everglades is one of the best and busiest cruise ports in the world and can handle most anything.

That being said, Oasis is bound to have an impact because of the number of passengers she will be boarding.

IMO

Check the Port Everglades web site to see how many other ships are sailing out each day. Then add up the total passenger count for all the ships on each day to see if there will really be more passengers crowding the port the day the Oasis of the See sails. Chances are there will be more ships the day the Westerdam sails so you may end up with just as many passengers.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Oceania – Insignia ‘10

Check the Port Everglades web site to see how many other ships are sailing out each day. Then add up the total passenger count for all the ships on each day to see if there will really be more passengers crowding the port the day the Oasis of the See sails. Chances are there will be more ships the day the Westerdam sails so you may end up with just as many passengers.

Without the Oasis in the picture Sundays have more more people in port than Saturdays in December 2009. When you add the Oasis (not on CruiseTT yet) then Saturdays have the higher count.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies!

Having sailed on both, I would sail on Westerdam. Port Everglades is one of the best and busiest cruise ports in the world and can handle most anything.

DFD1, what do you prefer about the Westerdam? Is the staff friendlier/more efficient? I'm assuming that food is basically the same on both ships, except it looks like the Eurodam has the oriental restaurant. Taking a quick look, it appears both ships are similar in layout, with the Eurodam a bit bigger. Your input on the ship differences is greatly appreciated.

Aunty Pat, I wasn't able to find December sailings on the port's website, but I'll keep looking. I was thinking I might be able to go to a travel agency's website & search for December sailings & get a list that way too.

I would prefer the Westerdam in this instance because of the impact Oasis will have on the port.

I also prefer smaller ships over larger ones and Eurodam is larger...larger enough to cause the Lido to be crowded and the lido pool area to be crowded because of more passengers and those silly cabanas taking up lots of otherwise open space.

I believe Eurodam has the same number of elevators as Westerdam, but 200+/- more passengers.

On the plus side is Tamarind and the Silk Den....and Eurodam is quite beautiful and restrained on the inside.

So far as staff and crew are concerned, I expect both ships perform quite well.

Regardless of which you select, Hope you have a great time!

I'm really in love with the Eurodam & its itinerary. However, I see that the Westerdam does a similar route, but leaves on Sundays (& is roughly $100 pp cheaper).

What do you want to know about both ships? We've been on both and loved them both. Westerdam is lovely and even though she is still very young, she has been in drydock and been upgraded already. Eurodam is still "shiny and new" and has a bit more modern (sleek) feel to it than Westerdam.

Please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to let you know about either (or share pics as well). :) :)

We will be driving & using one of the off-site parking lots. Any ideas on what to expect traffic wise? I hate to start out a vacation by sitting on a shuttle bus for hours. Or to ruin a great vacation fighting traffic back to the car.

You can solve that problem easily by paying more and parking in the garage across the street from pier 26. To me the convenience is worth the extra cost.

We have sailed out of Port Everglades three times - every February since 2007 and either (Sunday in 2007, Saturday in 2008 and 2009). In 2007 we experienced the worst traffic into the port, the other two years we just drove in (usually around Noon). We used cabs to get to the pier.

Has it gotten worse or better? The above does not attempt to prove either, it's just a comment.

What would the difference be between the off site parking vs parking at the pier? I think it may be worthwhile paying to park at the pier even if it is a bit more expensive.

Thanks to Aunty Pat for the idea of adding up the pax count! If I did my math right--

* Saturday 12/5 - 4 ships - Eurodam, Costa Atlantica, Oasis & Crown Princess = total 12,668 pax

* Sunday 12/6 - 3 ships - Independence, Westerdam, Carnival Miracle = total 8,149 pax

* Saturday 12/12 - 5 ships - Eurodam, Crown Princess, Costa Atlantica, Oasis & Independence of the Seas = total 16,302 pax

* Sunday 12/13 - 4 ships - Carnival Freedom, Westerdam, Solstice & Zuiderdam = total 9,520 pax.

Sundays definitely look better. Saturday's pax are going to increase by approx. 50%. That's a big increase overnight. I'm sure by February, the port will be running smoothly as everyone gets adjusted to the Oasis. But when we're looking to sail in December, it'll just be the 1st or 2nd week of the Oasis' arrival. There's bound to be kinks that need to be worked out that early on.

So thanks to everyone for the great advice on selecting the Westerdam! I also noticed that she alternates itineraries, so maybe this is my chance to finally see Aruba. We're really looking forward to sailing on her!:)

We sailed out of Port Everglades in Oct. of 08 and Jan. of 09 on Saturdays. NIGHTMARE is the only way to explain traffic. Twenty minutes from hotel to port entrance, 30 (Oct) or 40 ( Jan) minutes to get through port entrance and another 30 minutes each time to get to the ship. We have decided to avoid Port Everglades as much as possible. To make matters worst after us their was an emergency on the Eurodam in Jan and the roads were shut down for 20 minutes to get emergency personnel in to assist. Those who came on board after us said the wait to get to the ships from the main entrance was over an hour. It seems the port passenger capacity has been exceeded and will probably only get worst. It is to bad because it is fun going out to see by all the homes, condo's and apartments.

It has always been our practice to get to the port around 10:30am. I know that seems unreasonably early for many, but by doing so, we have never had any traffic problems at Pt. Everglades.

We just find a place to sit, get a cup of coffee and watch all the activity until we are able to get into the embarkation routine.

Works for us.

The other way to avoid the problems is to wait and arriive after about 1:30pm. I understand it's a breeze after then.

So thanks to everyone for the great advice on selecting the Westerdam! I also noticed that she alternates itineraries, so maybe this is my chance to finally see Aruba. We're really looking forward to sailing on her!:)

Are you looking at the 12/6 Westerdam sailing? I'll be on that one. The thought of 3 sea days is very appealing to me. This will also be my first HAL cruise.

Thanks to Aunty Pat for the idea of adding up the pax count! If I did my math right--

* Saturday 12/5 - 4 ships - Eurodam, Costa Atlantica, Oasis & Crown Princess = total 12,668 pax

* Sunday 12/6 - 3 ships - Independence, Westerdam, Carnival Miracle = total 8,149 pax

* Saturday 12/12 - 5 ships - Eurodam, Crown Princess, Costa Atlantica, Oasis & Independence of the Seas = total 16,302 pax

* Sunday 12/13 - 4 ships - Carnival Freedom, Westerdam, Solstice & Zuiderdam = total 9,520 pax.

Sundays definitely look better. Saturday's pax are going to increase by approx. 50%. That's a big increase overnight. I'm sure by February, the port will be running smoothly as everyone gets adjusted to the Oasis. But when we're looking to sail in December, it'll just be the 1st or 2nd week of the Oasis' arrival. There's bound to be kinks that need to be worked out that early on.

Just a note, the sister ship to the Oasis, Allure will be out I believe in December 2010 and will be sailing out of Port Everglades on Sunday.

I can only imagine how chaotic the airport at Fort Lauderdale will be when both ships are in service.

There are only 3-5 ships those days???? Last time we sailed out of FLL in December there were 8 ships in port, and I have heard of up to 10. 5- even with the size of Oasis, shouldn't be a big disaster.

Of course, the day we sailed in December, we were on a shuttle- the last ones to get off our shuttle, and a 10-15 minute run took about 40 minutes. It was crazy, particularly as we were the first shuttle run in, when there were still lots of people leaving the port.

All in all, I think you will be fine. Nothing to lose sleep over.

And I would take either the Westerdam or the Eurodam. Just happy to on the seas, on a Dam ship.

Sundays definitely look better. Saturday's pax are going to increase by approx. 50%. That's a big increase overnight.

What was your source for ships in port? Here is what I found on CruiseTT.com (it does not include the Oasis):

05-Dec-2009 10,814 Carnival Freedom, Infinity, Eurodam, Crown Princess

06-Dec-2009 12,038 Independence of the Seas, Carnival Miracle, Westerdam, Emerald Princess

12-Dec-2009 12,619 Independence of the Seas, Eurodam, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess

13-Dec-2009 13,466 Carnival Freedom, Celebrity Solstice, Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Emerald Princess,

19-Dec-2009 15,024 Carnival Freedom, Eurodam, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess

20-Dec-2009 15,303 Independence of the Seas, Celebrity Solstice, Westerdam, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess

What was your source for ships in port? Here is what I found on CruiseTT.com (it does not include the Oasis):

05-Dec-2009 10,814 Carnival Freedom, Infinity, Eurodam, Crown Princess

06-Dec-2009 12,038 Independence of the Seas, Carnival Miracle, Westerdam, Emerald Princess

12-Dec-2009 12,619 Independence of the Seas, Eurodam, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess

13-Dec-2009 13,466 Carnival Freedom, Celebrity Solstice, Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Emerald Princess,

19-Dec-2009 15,024 Carnival Freedom, Eurodam, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess

20-Dec-2009 15,303 Independence of the Seas, Celebrity Solstice, Westerdam, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess

Ugh...it's even worse than I thought. I don't think we're suppose to give web addresses, but I used vac?????togo.com. You can guess what the ?? stand for. I wonder if the Emerald Princess cruises shown in the 1st half of December are charters? They're not showing on the Princess website. But regardless, all the people will be showing up at the pier.....

In 2007 we experienced the worst traffic into the port, the other two years we just drove in (usually around Noon). We used cabs to get to the pier.

BEPSF doesn't concern himself with things like traffic whilst on vacation -

That's the limo driver's job.

I wonder if the Emerald Princess cruises shown in the 1st half of December are charters? They're not showing on the Princess website.
When cruisett.com shows a ship in one place for 7 days or longer that usually means either a charter or a dry-dock. Since the Emerald is shown at FLL from the 6th through the 20th my guess is that it is a charter.

We were at the Port when all the piers were taken and we had to go to one further down but still park at the garage near the usual HAL docks. They shuttled people back to the ship from the garage. We returned to the regular HAL dock where our car was. Confusing! We like to come early and do not mind sitting inside waiting for them to start loading the ship. I think this port can handle these ships easily. My question is "who wants to go on a ship that has 4,000 people?" I think we cruisers should be more worried about having the Oasis at the same port as HAL once we start the cruise! St. Thomas, horrible already! At least everyone has 4 hrs to board the ship for the start of the cruise but WHOA! what will happen when Oasis 4,000 people are getting off in Pt. Everglades!:cool:

BEPSF doesn't concern himself with things like traffic whilst on vacation -

That's the limo driver's job.

I agree! For our last cruise our friend in Ft. Lauderdale said his limo connections wasn't too happy about the time I wanted to head to the pier because of traffic. Not my problem. :D

Archived