Tamarind & Silk Den

Sharon in AZ

Going on the Eurodam 8/27/09 and after reading many posts can not figure out why the Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den are so special. Is the Silk Den a bar? Can anyone go there?....or can only people with reservations at the Tamarind go there? Is there a charge to go to the Silk Den? Do you have to pay a fee to eat at the Tamarind?

The Silk Den is just a nice bar, with forward facing windows. Anyone can go there, and it does not have any connection to the Tamarind except that it is located next door. There is no "fee" ... just the price of any drinks you order.

The Tamarind is special in that right now it a unique place on HAL ships. It has pan-Asian food in a nice atmosphere. It is free for lunch (with a fixed dim sum menu) and $15 for dinner.

It is also beautifully decorated, and the hostesses gorgeously attired. The staff there seemed to be delighted to be in the newest venue and it showed in their attitudes. Dined there three times in a 14-night cruise.

Cheers

Mark

It is also beautifully decorated, and the hostesses gorgeously attired. The staff there seemed to be delighted to be in the newest venue and it showed in their attitudes.
I agree totally! :) This pic is at our Rijsttafel dinner in the Tamarind:

attachment.php?attachmentid=93628&d=1224380999

Tamarind's Dinner Menu -- $15 per person

When you sit down at the table, a couple of servers will come to the table -- one will pour Jasmine tea while the other one gives you a HOT towel to cleanse your hands. Then you are given your menu. There are already 4 small sauce bowls on the table -- there is a soy sauce; a sweet-sour sauce; a garlic-chili pepper sauce; and a Japanese horseradish sauce (very hot). You are brought a basket of Shrimp Crackers.

SOUP:

Yin-Yang Scallop Consomme’ - tender sea scallops & julienne cut squash in a ginger infused shellfish broth sprinkled with minced scallions

Jewels of the Sea - delicate shrimp filled won ton with sliced baby bok choy in a fragrant lemongrass & sesame broth

Chicken Pho with Wild Lime & Rice Stick noodles - shredded chicken & rice noodles in a coconut milk broth flavored with lime leaf, cilantro, galangal, mint, bean sprouts & Serrano chilies

Appetizers:

Trail of Spices Satay Sampler - Malaysian-spiced lamb, Chinese pork, Thai -spiced beef, Indonesian-spiced chicken & Vietnamese-spiced shrimp served with Asian pickled vegetables & 2 traditional dipping sauces

Shrimp Tempura Indochina - sweet, fresh shrimp dipped in a light batter & fried and served with a tart-and-sweet green papaya salad & garlic chili sauce

Shanghai Ribs - five-spiced rubbed baby-back pork ribs, served over a Chinese pickled cabbage salad with a Tamarind chutney

Streetside Pot Stckers - succulent lobster, pork and chicken dumplimngs, shallow-fried till crispy on the bottom and served with a vinegar-soy ponzu dipping sauce

Spring Roll Delights - a trio of spring rolls: crispy duck, vegetable and a rice paper wrapped lobster roll, served with plum and sweet chili sauces

Thai Beef Salad - rare-seared beef, tossed with scallions, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers -- presented on salad greens and sprinkled with fresh mint, chilies and a lime-leaf dressing

Green Papaya Salad - freshly shredded raw vegetables and spinach, tomato, water chestnuts and papaya tossed with lime juice & palm sugar

Sushi & Sashimi Menu

YOUR CHOICE OF 6 ITEMS AS AN APPETIZER OR 12 AS AN ENTRÉE

Sashimi - tuna, salmon, snapper. Octopus

Nigiri Sushi - tuna, salmon, snapper, Octopus

Sushi Rolls:

Rainbow (reversed California roll topped with an assortment of fish)

California - crab and avocado

Salmon Tsutsumi - salmon, avocado, cream cheese

Tuna Tsutsumi - vegetable roll topped with tuna slices

Yozo - snapper, masago, asparagus, Japanese mayonnaise

Yoshi - tempura snapper, avocado, scallion, Japanese mayonnaise

Wraps - Indonesian vegetable, seafood, lettuce, chicken

Entrees:

Water:

Hoisin-Lime Glazed Sea Bass - Golden pan-seared fish crowned with crisp wok-seared Asian greens

Asia-Pacific Hot Pot - A one-pot surprise consisting of shrimp, scallops, Manila clams, rock fish, crab legs, squid, scallions, shallots, garlic, lemon grass and coriander leaves all braised in a flavorful stock

Baked Snapper in Rice Paper - Snapper marinated in a sake and citrus liquor, then golden baked and served atop ginger and garlic steamed Asian greens

Wood:

Wasabi & Soy Crusted Beef Tenderloin Steak - Served on an oak wood cedar plank and complimented with tempura-style onion rings and vegetables

Scallops & Prawns with Garlic, Ginger and Chili - steamed to perfection and presented in a bamboo basket and drizzled with a light soy sauce

Cantonese Duck & Hainan Rice - roasted, served on a bed chicken borth infused rice and garnished with flakes of fresh chili and cilantro

Fire:

Shrimp Szechuan with Thai Basil - Shrimp sauteed with chili peppers, Asian spices, straw mushrooms, sweet bell peppers and scallions glazed in a light chili sauce

Penang Red Curry Coconut Chicken - A mild spicy dish consisting of chicken cubes braised with Chinese pea pods, eggplant, green zucchini, red pimiento, opal basil, lemon grass and lime juice - presented in a bath of red curry and coconut milk

Vietnamese-Style Lamb with Mint - Thinly sliced lamb loin quickly sautéed with bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, fresh spinach leaves, minced garlic and scallions

Earth:

Five-spice Seitan & Tempeh - quickly seared with thinly sliced red bell pepper, enoki mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, scallions, garlic, ginger and soy sauce - served with lime wedges

Sesame Udon Noodles - flat Japanese wheat noodles, stir-fried with tofu, scallions, vegetables, sesame oil and chilies, and sprinkled with toasted peanuts and sesame oil

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura - asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, and carrots dipped in a light batter and fried - garnished with fruits and served with Tamarind glaze

On The Side:

Steamed seasonal garden vegetables with red miso garlic sauce

Steamed Jasmine rice OR Brown rice

Stir-fried cucumber, snow peas, mushrooms, scallions and chili with sesame seeds

Bok Choy with oyster sauce

Sake-braised oyster and ****ake mushrooms

Desserts:

Tamarind Chocolate - a bittersweet chocolate shell filled with a rich Tamarind & chili flavored chocolate and ginger mousse served with a red raspberry and black raspberry compote

Mango Cloud - a light egg white souffle served with a mango sorbet

Tempura Ice Cream - coconut & Javanese coffee with infused lemon grass sauce anglaise

Chocolate Almond Fortunw Cookie -- an almond baked tuile with a surprise filling of chocolate panache -- served with a scoop of coconut ice cream

Ginger Banana Bread Pudding - with tempura bananas and caramel sauce

Trio of Sorbets - passion fruit basil, lychee green tea and cube with shaved fruit juices

Tamarind Lunch -- Free

Hot and Sour Soup

Asian Herb Szechuan Sesame Salad

Steamed Classic Dumplings:

Chicken

Asian Pork

Steam Vegetable

Spinach and Mushroom

Shrimp 'Shu Mat'

From the Wok:

Vegetable Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Sushi Nugget

Shrimp Won Ton Sticks

Shrimp Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Rangoon

Holland America Line Culinary Fusion Sauces:

Bora Bora BBQ - tomato, ginger, aged vinegar, soy sauce

Mirin Pesto - sweet wine, soy, fresh basil, garlic, lemon grass

Coco Churri - coconut, cilantro, chili, lime

Shoyu Sabi - classic flavors of soy and wasabi

Choice of One Dessert:

Mango Sirbet

Coconut Ice Cream

Egg Tart

Green Tea Tiramisu

My meal in the Tamarind was hands down the best meal of the cruise. I had the fortune cookie for dessert - was as big as my head!! The nice thing about both the Tamarind and Silk Den is that not too many people venture up to that deck, so it's less crowded. The Silk Den reminds me of an upscale bar I would expect to find a major city.

We loved the Silk Den (and Tamarind) and went for drinks at Silk Den both when dining at Tamarind and when not dining there. We often had an after dinner drink there.

We really enjoyed that lounge.

My meal in the Tamarind was hands down the best meal of the cruise. I had the fortune cookie for dessert - was as big as my head!! The nice thing about both the Tamarind and Silk Den is that not too many people venture up to that deck, so it's less crowded. The Silk Den reminds me of an upscale bar I would expect to find a major city.

Every time we went to the Tamarind, I had the fortune cookie as well -- loved it!!

DH tried all the other desserts.

Tamarind is a special dinner., "onthegogirl". The vast majority of posters here all rave about it. We enjoyed two or three dinners there in March on our Eurodam cruises and agree the fortune cookie is delicious.... it comes dribbled with chocolate. :)

I just loved the atmosphere of the Silk Den. It is such a relaxing venue...and on our sailing was never busy, so it was almost like your own private lounge...and the seating is very comfortable (I loved the chaise-type lounges).

Is there any music in the Silk Den -- Strings, perhaps?

No live music, for certain. If there was any background music it was unobtrusive, as I didn't notice it (and I tend to notice music).

Just returned from our Baltic on the Eurodam and agree 100% - Tamarind is a "must do" at least one night. We visited the Silk Den but never sat or stayed for a drink (preferred the Crow's Nest).

I think, looking at that menu, we're going to try to get TWO nights at the Tamarind rather than only one, as I was originally thinking! Sounds heavenly.:D Thanks for posting the menu!

PS I'm assuming we can get the chocolate fortune cookie wrapped up to take back to our cabin to enjoy in the AM, no? If I eat that much chocolate I'll be up all night!

Tamarind was hands-down our best meal of our recent cruise on Eurodam.

Silk Den is next door and has no real connection other than there are special cocktails that are only available at Tamarind and Silk Den and nowhere else on board.

I recommend the raspberry one with the wasabi rim on the glass. Can't remember what it was called but the description I've given will enable you to identify it.

Can't recommend Tamarind enough. It was fabulous.

Archived