Snacks on Planes

Nancy53

Simple Question: We are flying from Fla. to Australia. I want to bring some high fiber granola bars on the plane in my carry on luggage. Can I do this since I am leaving the continental United States into another country. Isn't there some rule about bringing food from another country but is that just limited to fruits and vegatables. Like when you disembarke the ship you can be fined for taking food off the ship.

Will I have a problem going through security since it is a solid food and not a liquid. Don't want to get in trouble but would like to take them with us since prices at the airport are so high and we get no substantial food on the plane on our cross country flight from Fla. to Los Angeles.

Might sound like a dumb question but I really don't know.:p

There is no problem bringing granola bars in your carry-on luggage. TSA doesn't care about solid food. Even if you have some bars left over after the domestic segment and want to take them on the international segment, that will be fine. If you buy sandwiches/fruits/salads etc. at LAX (post security) to take along on the international flight, just consume (or dispose of) them before landing.

The night before we flew ATL-YVR we stopped at a market (or was it Panera's?) and got some bagels and cream cheese...a plastic knife...and took it with us.

It all went thru security :p with no problem (YMMV) and the only problem that we had was the hungry stares of our fellow passengers at 30,000 ft. :cool:

Can we bring the granola bars into Australia because there will probably be some left over on the flight from Lax to Syd.? That was the basis of my question? Does Australian security care?:p

Can we bring the granola bars into Australia because there will probably be some left over on the flight from Lax to Syd.? That was the basis of my question? Does Australian security care?:p

No. They only care about fruits (and, in some countries, cheese & meat products). The general rule of thumb is if it's not a fruit, and it's still factory-sealed, you're probably OK.

No. They only care about fruits (and, in some countries, cheese & meat products). The general rule of thumb is if it's not a fruit, and it's still factory-sealed, you're probably OK.

Be very careful about this answer. Australia (and New Zealand) have strict regulations about bringing any foodstuffs into the country, and will exact instant fines if you break their regulations. Basically, any foodstuff (that is anything that you will eat) has to be decclared.

While granola bars that are still in intact wrappers may pass inspection, you could have problems if they contain any dried fruit.

You will be well fed on the international flight to Australia, so I suggest you only bring enough snacks to sustain you while traversing the US.

Bringing any type of meat items into AU, whether they are pre-packaged or not is a HUGE no no. My DH stuck a beef and cheese stick in my purse that I thought he had eaten on the plane. When I opened my purse, it was taken away, thankfully with no fine attached.

We were able to take snacks, such as breakfast/granola bars without any problems though.

You are not allowed to bring food into Australia. You can eat whatever snacks you bring on the plane but not in Australia.

Yes, Australia and New Zealand are very strict. No foods of any kinds are to be brought into these countries.

Water yes, food of any kind, no.

As an example, when we cruised these areas in a few ports dogs were brought on the ship to check passengers as they were getting ready to depart the ship.

Do not try to sneak any food in any of your bags.

Keith

You are not allowed to bring food into Australia. You can eat whatever snacks you bring on the plane but not in Australia.

Yes, Australia and New Zealand are very strict. No foods of any kinds are to be brought into these countries.

Water yes, food of any kind, no.

As an example, when we cruised these areas in a few ports dogs were brought on the ship to check passengers as they were getting ready to depart the ship.

Do not try to sneak any food in any of your bags.

Keith

Sorry Keith but thats just plain wrong. You must declare all food items but many can be brought into this country. I would suggest that people travelling here go to this page to get some information

Just remember to declare it no matter how insignificant you think it might be.

Sorry Keith but thats just plain wrong. You must declare all food items but many can be brought into this country. I would suggest that people travelling here go to this page to get some information

Just remember to declare it no matter how insignificant you think it might be.

Sorry but this is not what we experienced.

We arrived on cruise ship. We were not, I repeat we were not allowed to bring any food items (not one item) with us of any kind except water. Dogs were brought onto the ship in some ports. This happend in 2008.

The writeup that you provided is ambiguous. It does not guarantee that you can bring these items with you.

Having gone through this just last year, if it was me I would not plan to bring any food tems into Australia. I would just purchase them when I was there if I needed any. You guys have wonderful food stores and you sell the types of snacks that were mentioned anyway.

Now I realize that was by cruise ship but to me it is just not worth the hassle based on what we went through.

And by the way, I had no food in my backpack, but I had a piece of food in there a few days earlier and all of a sudden I had a dog just about in my face. We had no problem as we didn't have any food but to me it's just easier not to take a chance on this.

Keith

I know one experience doesn't prove the rule, but when my friend and I went to Brisbane, I brought granola bars with me. They were even mostly date based. I declared them, they looked and saw that they were sealed and prepackaged and said there was no problem.

ALso had some trail mx in a baggie - that was okay, also. All of the fruit in it was dried.

So, we'd been warned that they are VERY strict and I believe that is true... but they told us that something like a granola bar that was prepackaged was okay.

Of course, your mileage may vary, just show them you have it and if they need to chuck it they will.

Be very careful about this answer. Australia (and New Zealand) have strict regulations about bringing any foodstuffs into the country, and will exact instant fines if you break their regulations. Basically, any foodstuff (that is anything that you will eat) has to be decclared.

Australia has probably the most strict customs/quarantine laws of any country I've visited.

Fortunately my wife and I have always had Express passes which under certain circumstances allow you to get round the rather thorough looking inspection. At SYD (the only airport we've arrived into the country at) it looked like pretty much all the other passengers were waiting in line to have their bags picked through with a fine toothcomb. A standard US customs experience it wasn't.

If you've got a couple of spare granola bars left just leave them on the plane or throw them out before you get to arrivals formalities procedures.

Well I guess I will only bring 6 granola bars instead of 12 so that we can consume all of them before we land in Sydney.

Answers seem to be varying so I will not take a chance.

I am sure that we will be well fed on Quantas.

Nancy you will be fine on Qantas. They will had out Snack on Q packs once you have taken off. I think they hand them out after the meal service. If you do find you still have some snack food on board then just make sure you declare them on the form you will fill out on the aircraft.

I do a grocery shopping run at Ralphs every time I'm in the States and bring back heaps of food items. Provided it's not meat or dairy based then you can be fairly sure the quarantine guys will let it in.

Sorry but this is not what we experienced.

We arrived on cruise ship. We were not, I repeat we were not allowed to bring any food items (not one item) with us of any kind except water. Dogs were brought onto the ship in some ports. This happend in 2008.

The writeup that you provided is ambiguous. It does not guarantee that you can bring these items with you.

Having gone through this just last year, if it was me I would not plan to bring any food tems into Australia. I would just purchase them when I was there if I needed any. You guys have wonderful food stores and you sell the types of snacks that were mentioned anyway.

Now I realize that was by cruise ship but to me it is just not worth the hassle based on what we went through.

And by the way, I had no food in my backpack, but I had a piece of food in there a few days earlier and all of a sudden I had a dog just about in my face. We had no problem as we didn't have any food but to me it's just easier not to take a chance on this.

Keith

My parents had the same experience on a cruise to Australia & New Zealand. They brought dogs onto the bus for their shore excursion. A friend had a dog sit down/hit on her bag. She had cookies in the bag the day before which caused the dog to hit on it--despite the fact that they were no longer there. They thoroughly searched her bag and it was made clear that if there had been food items (of any kind) in there it was a serious offense.

Answers seem to be varying so I will not take a chance.
You can take as reliable those of us (like kenexx, for example) who fly into Australia regularly, and regularly take food items into Australia with us.

If you bring commercially-produced granola bars and these are still sealed when you arrive in Sydney, there is every chance that you will be allowed to take them through Customs if you declare them and give Customs a chance to inspect them.

If you declare them and Customs do not like them, they will be taken away and destroyed, and you will have no liability because you have done the right thing by declaring them.

However, as you're flying Qantas, you really don't need to worry about going hungry. No chance!

I would definitely take the granola bars in case there are any delays or food service issues; at the end of the flight I would throw out any leftovers including those still sealed. I would also carry bottled water or juice onto the plane for the same reasons (purchased after security of course).

Australia is awesome. Have a wonderful trip.

Kathy:)

I definitely want to take water on the plane because I am going to try to get up and walk around as much as possible when allowed so my ankles don't swell. Last flight for us was 9 hrs. to South America and they were very swollen when we landed. (14) hr. flight I'm sure it will be worse. So I am going to push the fluids, get an outside seat so can get up when I want without distrubing people and eat all the granola bars before we land so there is no possible chance of problems with immigration.

Thanks. :D

I took the advise on these boards and made sure everyone in our group declared food items. My brother had brought beef jerky (still in the sealed package), granola bars and those nature snacks with nuts and raisins kind of snacks. He declared them when he entered and a darn good thing too. LOL.... those dogs followed him and several times sat down next to him. The other passengers were starting to wonder. However, they allowed him to keep them. At each port we got off on we had the dogs sniff us out. Our bags contained pre-packaged snacks for the toddler and we were allowed to bring them in each time. Just declare it.

I took the advise on these boards and made sure everyone in our group declared food items. My brother had brought beef jerky (still in the sealed package), granola bars and those nature snacks with nuts and raisins kind of snacks. He declared them when he entered and a darn good thing too. LOL.... those dogs followed him and several times sat down next to him. The other passengers were starting to wonder. However, they allowed him to keep them. At each port we got off on we had the dogs sniff us out. Our bags contained pre-packaged snacks for the toddler and we were allowed to bring them in each time. Just declare it.

Agreed. Declare any food items and you will not get fined, even of your food is confiscated. Fail to declare, and you will be subject to an instant fine ($200 in New Zealand, and something similar in Australia).

Simple Question: We are flying from Fla. to Australia. I want to bring some high fiber granola bars on the plane in my carry on luggage. Can I do this since I am leaving the continental United States into another country. Isn't there some rule about bringing food from another country but is that just limited to fruits and vegatables. Like when you disembarke the ship you can be fined for taking food off the ship.

Will I have a problem going through security since it is a solid food and not a liquid. Don't want to get in trouble but would like to take them with us since prices at the airport are so high and we get no substantial food on the plane on our cross country flight from Fla. to Los Angeles.

Might sound like a dumb question but I really don't know.:p

Restriction are for produce and fruits so granola bar should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Oz and have recent, relevant experience. Several others with a great deal more experience have commented as well as several Australians.

You *must* declare *all* food items. End of story. This is made clear onboard and in the terminal probably 5-6 times. We were in First Class and had "express" passes. We still had to go past the gaunlet of sniffer dogs with our carry-ons at MEL. There is also an X-ray inspection of all checked and carry-on bags at the exit from Customs.

If you have undeclared food of any type, presumably the serious trouble begins. If you declared food (and hopefully remember to list it all after your long overnight flight), it's at Custom's discretion to allow or confiscate it. Sealed, prepackaged granola bars shouldn't be a problem, but I personally want to get curbside as quickly as possible. The last thing I want is a voluntary secondary inspection after 20 hours of travel!

Aussie quarantine rules are probably the strictest I've ever seen but once you start touring the country and realize the threat to agriculture and wildlife (potential and actual) you will understand why. Don't take comments about Customs as intimidating....Immigration, Customs, and Security agents we encountered at all Aussie airports were actually friendly, efficient, and professional.

A few other comments for Americans flying to and around Oz:

- Domestic Oz flights do not have the 3-1-1 liquid restriction. I kept packing a 3-1-1 bag before each flight out of habit. However, the restriction does apply for your flight back to the USA. Also note NZ has liquid restrictions and at LAX they warn for the LAX-AKL-SYD flight that duty-free purchased in LAX will be confiscated prior to the AKL-SYD leg.

- Aerosol cans must be fitted with their product cap. If the cap is missing or damaged the aerosol will be confiscated.

- Small manicure scissors and nail clippers are not allowed in Oz even ones OK in the States.

- Carryon size and weight limits are strictly enforced, especially on Jetstar and Virgin Blue. Excess fees are steep!

- Cutoff times for check-in and at the gate are enforced *to the minute*.

I wish the last two would be enforced here! Have a great trip, you will find the sights and people amazing!

Also note NZ has liquid restrictions and at LAX they warn for the LAX-AKL-SYD flight that duty-free purchased in LAX will be confiscated prior to the AKL-SYD leg.

Actually, this is an Australian law, not a NZ one. You are not allowed to take any liquids over 100ml purchased after security into Australia in your hand luggage.

Archived