A Couple of Pinnacle Grill Questions

fabby50

Hey! My husband and I usually prefer alternate dining venues and are booked on a Veendam cruise in October. I have a couple of questions about the Pinnacle Grill and new Italian venue:

I am a vegetarian - do they offer vegetarian entrees? I did see the Pinnacle menu on the HAL website, but it says "examples", so I don't think its the full menu.

Does the menu have daily specials or alternate items so we could eat at the Pinnacle a couple of times during the week and perhaps order different things?

Do both new venues have lunch? Is making a reservation a good idea? Also, same question about lunch with the alternate menu items - do they change things daily or have something special?

Can you make reservations, once on board, for anytime during the week or are you limited to reserving just a couple of days ahead?

Thanks for any help you can give me and any other comments you might have about either restaurant (things to try that are especially good, or conversely, things to skip). The frozen souffle sounds right up my alley -

Hey! My husband and I usually prefer alternate dining venues and are booked on a Veendam cruise in October. I have a couple of questions about the Pinnacle Grill and new Italian venue:

I am a vegetarian - do they offer vegetarian entrees? I did see the Pinnacle menu on the HAL website, but it says "examples", so I don't think its the full menu.

Does the menu have daily specials or alternate items so we could eat at the Pinnacle a couple of times during the week and perhaps order different things?

Do both new venues have lunch? Is making a reservation a good idea? Also, same question about lunch with the alternate menu items - do they change things daily or have something special?

Can you make reservations, once on board, for anytime during the week or are you limited to reserving just a couple of days ahead?

Thanks for any help you can give me and any other comments you might have about either restaurant (things to try that are especially good, or conversely, things to skip). The frozen souffle sounds right up my alley -

You can make reservation for lunch though Pinnacle is not always open everyday. Some port days it may be open and others maybe not.

You can make reservations for dinner before you board, once you board or anytime while aboard assuming there is availability. There is limited accomodation so if you really want as number of reservations, book early.

You have seen the posted menus so can judge as to vegetarian appropriateness. There are no daily specials. They used to have some but since the new menu, they stopped that.

We think Pinnacle to be excellent and enjoyed at least 5 dinners there on our recent Maasdam cruises. It was consistently excellent, with wonderful service and delicious food. We like the selection and the menu suits us.

Do both new venues have lunch? Is making a reservation a good idea?

I don't know about the Veendam, but on the Eurodam the Canaletto is not open for lunch. Reservations for dinner are recommended.

Here is the Full menu for the Pinnacle for dinner:

Pinnacle Menu

The Beginning:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV, Lobster Bisque, Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad, Baby Arugula Salad, Caesar Salad, Dungeness Crab Cakes or the Pinnacle Ocean Platter

The Grill:

Filet Mignon, New York Strip Steak, Bone-In Rib Eye Steak, Porterhouse, Colorado Lamp Chops, Grilled Veal Chop, Chicken Breast, Filet Steak Diane or Filet Mignon Burger.

Sea Food:

Broiled King Salmon, Broiled or Poached Lobster Tail or Cedar Planked Black Cod with Shrimp Scampi

The Intrigue:

Land and Sea (Surf & Turf), Lobster Macaroni and Cheese, Roasted Vegetable Tower

Side Dishes:

Creamed Spinach, Sautéed Button Mushrooms, Sautéed Onions, Asparagus, Scalloped, Whipped, Jumbo Baked or Shoestring Potatoes and/or Basmati Rice

The Finale:

Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska, Warm Grand Marnier Chocolate Volcano Cake, Velvet Soufflé – Chocolate or Vanilla, Creamy Homemade Raspberry Cheesecake, Chocolate And Raisin Bread Pudding, Pinnacle Crème Brulee, Fresh Seasonal Fruits and Berries, Premium Ice Cream or Sorbets and/or the Assortment of International Cheeses.

Here is the Pinnacle Lunch menu:

Pinnacle Lunch Menu

Menu - $10 per person.

Starters:

1)Grilled Prawn Bruschetta with a primavera salsa - aged asiago cheese and balsamic fusion

2)Mediterranean antipasto plate - pesto virgin olive oil

3)Scallops creme brulee - caramelized parmesean wafer

4)Northwest five onion soup - tomato shallot soubise

5)Chilled carrot and ginger soup - creme faiche and fried sage

6)Chiffanade of greens and tomato tower salad - Italian vinaigritte

Entrees:

1)Pacific rim beef salad - mesclun leaves, mangoes and lotus fruit

2)Alaskan halibut fillet sandwich - sour dough bread, cilantro relish and cucumber potato salad

3)Crab and shrimp cake - exotic fruit chutney, lime Thai curry sauce and orange rice with pine nuts

4)The Pinnacle burger - apple smoked bacon, cheddar cheese and bistro style shoestring potatoes. This dish can be served with a low carb bun and without the potatoes.

5)Sterling silver beef tenderloin with Oregon blue cheese crust - grilled asparagus and scalloped potatoes

6)Penne with grilled chicken breast, lemon basil sauce, sun dried tomatoes and arugula

7)Vegetarian couscous - grilled vegetables and fried mint leaves and harissa

Desserts:

1)Fresh strawberries with raspberry sorbet - sugar dough gaufrette

2)Chocolate brownie decadence - an explosion of chocolate

3)Orange and lime panna cotta

4)Ice creams and sorbets - ask for the day's selections

5)Fruit plate

The Pinnacle Grille is a steakhouse. Personally, if I were a vegetarian, I wouldn't waste my money going there because your selections are so limited. That said, there is a veg dish or two. I've tried several of the vegetarian entrees on the dinner menu in the main dining room and been very pleased with them without having to pay extra.

Just my opinion....

Roz

Here is the Full menu for the Pinnacle for dinner:

Pinnacle Menu

The Beginning:

French Onion Soup King Louis XV, Lobster Bisque, Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Vine Ripened Beefsteak Tomato Salad, Baby Arugula Salad, Caesar Salad, Dungeness Crab Cakes or the Pinnacle Ocean Platter

Oh mannnn! What happened to the best Clam Chowder ever?

(we were last on HAL in 2003, about to return on Jul 12)

Good thing I got the recipe from the chef after our 4th visit in a week... :)

My husband has some food allergies We mentioned this when we made our reservations for the Pinnacle. The chef did speak to my husband and assured him that if the menu item had citrus he would make it from scratch for him avoiding the citrus. I am sure that if you go and speak to the maitre'd and ask him for a vegetarian dish they will look after you.

Oh mannnn! What happened to the best Clam Chowder ever?

(we were last on HAL in 2003, about to return on Jul 12)

Good thing I got the recipe from the chef after our 4th visit in a week... :)

The Northwest Clam Chowder soup is gone -- I too miss it!!

When the Eurodam entered service July 2008, a new Pinnacle menu was put into place -- and soon the new menu was fleet wide.

When the Eurodam entered service July 2008, a new Pinnacle menu was put into place -- and soon the new menu was fleet wide.

And HAL didn't bother to check with you OR me before the change...the noive! :p

I'll dig through my recipe files...I might still have it somewhere...

I would agree that The Pinnacle will make you something special, but you might have to give them at least a day's notice. They made a special dessert for my husband that had no sugar. Also, Canelleto has pasta dishes.

I took the cooking class on the Maasdam Nov '08, and made the lobster mac and cheese. It was quite good, but only 3 small pieces of lobster on the top. I have made it as an appetizer in small ramikins for a dinner party and every one thought it was quite good. But then anything with 35% cream should be really good. LOL

Thank you all so much for the information, especially the posted menus. I discovered that they had the Italian restaurant menu posted on the HAL website - looks like that menu changes daily. So, we'll probably book the Pinnacle a couple of nights and try and get in the Italian restaurant the rest.

Thank you all so much for the information, especially the posted menus. I discovered that they had the Italian restaurant menu posted on the HAL website - looks like that menu changes daily. So, we'll probably book the Pinnacle a couple of nights and try and get in the Italian restaurant the rest.

Originally there were 7 menus for the Canalleto. But all the reports from the Eurodam the last few months indicate that now there is only 1 menu -- doesn't change any more.

Originally there were 7 menus for the Canalleto. But all the reports from the Eurodam the last few months indicate that now there is only 1 menu -- doesn't change any more.

More changes have been made recently involving the soups, for the better!

Archived