Booking a cruise while on a cruise

jasjess7881

Hey all....I am new at this and actually I am going on my first cruise in 39 days..so I am really excited. My question is that while I am on my cruise..do they give you a deal to book another cruise. My hubby and I would really like to cruise on the Victory for our 10 year wedding anniversary next year. I am wanting to book it now, but if I can get a better deal on the cruise ship, that would be even better. I wanted to ask all of the cruise experts on here....you all have been invaluable for first time cruisers...Thanks.

When we were on Freedom this past week there was a desk where you could commit to future cruises and you'd get onboard credit for making that decision while on board. From what I understand not all ships have that desk (yet).

When we were on Freedom this past week there was a desk where you could commit to future cruises and you'd get onboard credit for making that decision while on board. From what I understand not all ships have that desk (yet).
could you tell us how it works?

This is the first time I heard that you can book a cruise while on a cruise.

Have not sailed on the Freedom so it might be new.

Carnival used to push the vacation thing on our past cruises. For us it was not worth the money as I can book cruises for a lot cheaper then they can offer.

On P{rincess I can purchase a future cruise credit for $100 each person which is good for 4 years. that 100 makes the deposit on my future cruise and gives me a credit of 50.00 pp for a balcony cabin

It depends on which ship you will be on (you dont say so cant say if you can or cant). Seems like its mostly Conquest class or higher that has the next cruise desk.

The deals are the same, the benefit is the same as RCL or Princess, $50 OBC for a 5 day, $75 OBC per cabin for a 6 day and $100 for a 7 day cruise. You can either book then or wait until you are home and mail in the certificate.

Do NOT book a cruise while on a cruise. Most cruise lines (I don't remember about Carnival) will sell you [while on-board] a $250 future credit. This costs you $250 which you pay immediately. In return, you get an immediate $100 credit on your present cruise's On-board account and oft some other benefits. You have one to three years [depending on cruise line] to use the $250 which will be applied to your down payment whenever you later book a cruise, and you can still use a travel agent, i.e. you don't have to book directly with the cruise line. There is no reason to lock yourself in to a particular future cruise, especially since the prices aren't anything special.

Do NOT book a cruise while on a cruise. Most cruise lines (I don't remember about Carnival) will sell you [while on-board] a $250 future credit. This costs you $250 which you pay immediately. In return, you get an immediate $100 credit on your present cruise's On-board account and oft some other benefits. You have one to three years [depending on cruise line] to use the $250 which will be applied to your down payment whenever you later book a cruise, and you can still use a travel agent, i.e. you don't have to book directly with the cruise line. There is no reason to lock yourself in to a particular future cruise, especially since the prices aren't anything special.

No clue who has a $250 cruise credit?? Princess, RCL and Carnival all three major cruiselines sell a next cruise cert for $100. Maybe you paid a deposit on a cruise which is $250 for a 7 day cruise?? Sounds like thats the amount of a typical deposit to me.

Carnival you have 5 years to use the certificate.

With Princess we pay 100.pp for a future credit to book a cruise- it only ties my money up for as long as I want. The reason to do this is I get a cheaper deposit--the 100.00 we prepaid is the deposit-- plus they give me a onboard credit.

firefly--last carnival we took was Liberty which is a conquest class ship- there ws no place to book he next cruise

With Princess we pay 100.pp for a future credit to book a cruise- it only ties my money up for as long as I want. The reason to do this is I get a cheaper deposit--the 100.00 we prepaid is the deposit-- plus they give me a onboard credit.

firefly--last carnival we took was Liberty which is a conquest class ship- there ws no place to book he next cruise

It depends on which ship you will be on (you dont say so cant say if you can or cant). Seems like its mostly Conquest class or higher that has the next cruise desk.

that's why I said "mostly". I have heard the Glory also doesnt yet have a next cruise desk. Conquest had only had it 3 weeks when I did that ship Sept 3rd, last year. I covered myself, with "mostly" as in "not all" Conquest class ships.

I would never tell anyone NOT to do this!

I thought it was a great deal while we were on the Caribbean Princess. It saved us on our deposit. We knew we would be sailing again and we only had to pay $100 pp we got OBC and we didnt have to make a decision on the spot, so it did not lock us into anything except the deposit money. Princess gives you 4 years to decide which cruise and to take your cruise or refund your deposit in full.

On NCL they were offering this too but I am not sure how they were offering it.

I think it is awesome that Princess does this. Just give them $100 deposit to say that you will take a cruise in the next 4 years - no pressure to pick which cruise or when, no prices to lock into - however that could work to your advantage if you are cruising 4 years down the road I would imagine the prices are going to be higher in 4 years - PLUS you have all that time to save and plan your future cruise.

I have never seen it on Carnival but would love to have that option- then you would always see a ticker in my signature!:D

Carnival does it differently than Princess or RCL. If you decide to book after you come home, you pay the full deposit, then mail in the cert and its applied to your final payment. Someone else posted on a similar thread, to use it after final payment date, you pay in full, then they refunded the $100 (the amount you paid for the cert) to your credit card when they receive the original cert.

I looked for the 'desk' several times on the Legend in June, and couldn't find a thing..:( I like to see the 'new' brochures/sailings that they are offering, but there was only a Seamiles Desk (:eek:)......:)

Might have worked out for CCL... I have since booked Princess for my next two cruises..!!:D;)

Carnival does it differently than Princess or RCL. If you decide to book after you come home, you pay the full deposit, then mail in the cert and its applied to your final payment. Someone else posted on a similar thread, to use it after final payment date, you pay in full, then they refunded the $100 (the amount you paid for the cert) to your credit card when they receive the original cert.

I'm certainly no expert, so someone please correct if I'm wrong on this, but are'nt Carnival, Princess, Cunard, and Costa all owned by the same parent company? It confuses me as to why their policies on these types of things are so unique. I understand that there are operational differences between each of the lines, but I would think the marketing and promotional aspect would be similar. This reminds me of a time when I was trying to redeem rewards points from a credit card. Among my options were gift cards for RCI and Carnival. At the time I was interested in booking a Celebrity or Princess and thought I could use these cards to book those cruises. Wrong. RCI or Carnival only.

No clue who has a $250 cruise credit?? Princess, RCL and Carnival all three major cruiselines sell a next cruise cert for $100. Maybe you paid a deposit on a cruise which is $250 for a 7 day cruise?? Sounds like thats the amount of a typical deposit to me.

Carnival you have 5 years to use the certificate.

NCL does or at least did in Jan 09.

I'm certainly no expert, so someone please correct if I'm wrong on this, but are'nt Carnival, Princess, Cunard, and Costa all owned by the same parent company? It confuses me as to why their policies on these types of things are so unique.

although owned by Carnival they are each their own cruiseline.

You can get past guest pricing bu cruising on the above--but if its your 2nd cruise it still will be treated as your first.

Having sailed Carnival & Princess I am happy they are not the same. It was a totally different experience.

Some Carnival ships offer you to purchase a $100 voucher that you will use towards a future cruise, and will give you an additional $100 OBC. If the vouchers are available, I would buy 1 and then when I got off that cruise, I would go on line and find the the next cruise you want to take. I would call my PP ASAP and book the Early Saver, and you will also get an additional $50.00 off for booking within 30 days (or is it 90 days) of your last cruise. You can save big $$ by planning ahead!

Some Carnival ships offer you to purchase a $100 voucher that you will use towards a future cruise, and will give you an additional $100 OBC. !

Would that be per person or per cabin??

You don't have to buy a cruise while on the cruise but use the voucher for a future cruise. You have to have a cruise booked to use the Future Carnival Vacation voucher because you have to put the booking number on it. We booked a cruise on the Carnival Dream on 7/1/08, bought a voucher on the Carnival Valor the end of March, 2009, sent the voucher in and the $100 was deducted from the final payment and we have a $100 OBC. There are only a few ships that offer this and they are all Conquest class as of now.

Would that be per person or per cabin??

The deals are the same, the benefit is the same as RCL or Princess, $50 OBC for a 5 day, $75 OBC per cabin for a 6 day and $100 for a 7 day cruise. You can either book then or wait until you are home and mail in the certificate.

I only typed per cabin once, but it applies to all the above. per cabin.

Works the same as RCL and Princess's certs (except you have to snail mail them in instead of calling them in).

Sorry I forgot to add that it is per cabin and it is not combinable with certain fare codes but the only one I know for sure is the Welcome Back credit but that is disappearing soon anyway. It is really worth it if you are planning on cruising in the next 5 years. We bought four, sent one in already, just booked the Liberty so will be sending that in this week and we have two left. Guess we'll have to buy more soon. If you don't use the voucher in 5 years you can get your money back. When you buy them you use your credit card. It does not go on your Sign and Sail card.

Some Carnival ships offer you to purchase a $100 voucher that you will use towards a future cruise, and will give you an additional $100 OBC. If the vouchers are available, I would buy 1 and then when I got off that cruise, I would go on line and find the the next cruise you want to take. I would call my PP ASAP and book the Early Saver, and you will also get an additional $50.00 off for booking within 30 days (or is it 90 days) of your last cruise. You can save big $$ by planning ahead!

Actually as of last January they dont allow you to combine welcome back credit with next cruise OBC.

Welcome back is being discountinued, the last cruise to get the full 60 days left June 9th, so August 9th they end.

Having sailed Carnival & Princess I am happy they are not the same. It was a totally different experience.
Not wanting to 'jump' the thread, but could you elaborate on this comment a bit?:)

Have never sailed Princess, and am now booked on two of them.. For some reason, I have a feeling that it is a 'step up'!:p

To keep within the thread topic, is it possible to get an onboard booking OBC with Princess, if one has already booked a future cruise?

I know its probably not feasible, but never hurts to ask!;) (My reasoning for not waiting to sail the Grand in 2010 to book the Emerald in 2011, is that I prefer an aft cabin, and there was only a $100.00 pp deposit required at this time.)

Not wanting to 'jump' the thread, but could you elaborate on this comment a bit?:)

Have never sailed Princess, and am now booked on two of them.. For some reason, I have a feeling that it is a 'step up'!:p

To keep within the thread topic, is it possible to get an onboard booking OBC with Princess, if one has already booked a future cruise?

I know its probably not feasible, but never hurts to ask!;) (My reasoning for not waiting to sail the Grand in 2010 to book the Emerald in 2011, is that I prefer an aft cabin, and there was only a $100.00 pp deposit required at this time.)

I emailed you.

but to answer the second part-- ask your travel agent if youcan use it for your second one. But see if you like your first one -- and then buy those FCC on your 2nd cruise to book your 3rd.

• 2 weeks later...
NCL does or at least did in Jan 09.

Yes, on NCL we purchased a $250. certificate to be used (book the cruise within one year and sail within 3years) as our down payment on a future NCL cruise (I used it as the down payment for 3 of us on a 10 day cruise) and received an OBC of $100.during the cruise we were on! That was the best return on a $250. investment I 've gotten in a long time! We have booked another cruise on NCL, but it didn't stop us from booking with Carnival as well (great "early saver" fares)! Wish Carnival would do something similar to the NCL deal!

Yes, on NCL we purchased a $250. certificate to be used (book the cruise within one year and sail within 3years) as our down payment on a future NCL cruise (I used it as the down payment for 3 of us on a 10 day cruise) and received an OBC of $100.during the cruise we were on! That was the best return on a $250. investment I 've gotten in a long time! We have booked another cruise on NCL, but it didn't stop us from booking with Carnival as well (great "early saver" fares)! Wish Carnival would do something similar to the NCL deal!

I think the whole point of this thread is Carnival DOES do something similar to NCL, you can book a cruise on the ship or purchase next cruise cert (they cost $100), and receive $100 OBC on a 7 day cruise, $75 on a 6 day etc.

I suspect thats why Carnival is doing away with the welcome back credit of $50, since you can now get the same credit with the next cruise certs and they quite allowing you to combine them since this past January.

I bought a next cruise cert last Sept I already used, and bought 3 more when I was on Conquest this past May I have yet to use.

Archived