Marcello or Salvatore /tour Pompeii....

kjames

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We booked with Marcello twice. The first time he drove us along the Amalfi coast. Yes he does talk a lot and isn't fond of "tourist shopping", but I knew that from reading cruise critic and that's just what we wanted. In Sorrento he helped me buy flowers and a Christmas wreath at a local florist shop. He also stopped, at my request, at a local ceramics shop. We had a lovely mountain side restuarant for lunch and stopped along the road to watch the olives being harvested. He also took us to a lemon grove. Oh my gosh, those lemons were the size of grapefruit! We learned so much from him.

The second time, 12 days later, Marcello took us to Pompeii, Herculeum, then to the "birthplace" of the pizza in downtown Naples. We visited the National Museum where all the treasures from Pompeii are housed and then he took us to the church that houses the "Veiled Christ", a statue I had always wanted to see. We ended the day at the ovelook as the full moon came up over Mt. Vesuvius. What a perfect day!!

He gets 5 stars in my book!

Specifically with Marcello/Eugene, are there any hints on things they like? We booked Marcello's partner (who might be Eugene?) because Marcello was already booked but he said he'd meet us at lunch. I would like to bring them a goodie package from the States...we're in the South so thought we'd pack bbq sauce/black eyed peas or something along those lines...we'd like to share a bit of our home with them for sharing theirs! :)

Tara

Specifically with Marcello/Eugene, are there any hints on things they like? We booked Marcello's partner (who might be Eugene?) because Marcello was already booked but he said he'd meet us at lunch. I would like to bring them a goodie package from the States...we're in the South so thought we'd pack bbq sauce/black eyed peas or something along those lines...we'd like to share a bit of our home with them for sharing theirs! :)

Tara

Tara, that's very sweet. I don't know what they'd like, but I've met them b4. I think anything that makes you think of home, is just fine. You will love Eugene. We are touring with him a second time.

Tara

From one Southerner to another, I've always found pecans to be well appreciated as a gift when traveling. I'm not sure that people who aren't southerners really appreciate black eyed peas the way we do!

A small jar of local peach jam is another "gift" I've taken overseas. (I'm from Georgia.)

We were with Marcello in September and had one of the best days of our life. This was our second time along the Amalfi coast with a private driver and he was excellent. He claims to have taken Rick Steves around. Marcello talks non stop, speaks near perfect English. He is extremely proud of his region and disseminates a wealth of information. He also discusses at length the political situation which he describes as "anarchy" and explained some civil disobidence we saw in Sorrento. He has a cruise critic cap and decal on his windshield and displays the American Flag. Our group was divided into 2 vans, he and the other driver were in constant contact with each other and we all met for a divine lunch.

.... and we all met for a divine lunch.

Wow, you can say that again. Our day with Marcello in June happened to be my birthday, and my fellow roll callers who arranged our tour with him arranged with him for sparkling vino and a cake to supplement the already unbelievable lunch with a view! Best birthday ever!

Just to add my 2 pennies worth.

We arranged a day tour with Marcello in September as our ship had 1 day in Amalfi. After discussion with him via email we decided we wanted to do Pompei and the Amalfi. We wanted to see the scenery and take photos mainly. I also wanted to see a winery and some ceramics.

He doesn't like shopping for sure but we managed a home winery in the beginning of the drive and the ceramic shop was actually very touristy so I can see his point.

He had someone take us round Pompei for 1.5 hours and that was 100 Euros, but very comprehensive considering our tight schedule.

We also saw all the sights and had a wonderful drive with lots of stops for photos and he gave us a lot of local perspective on the way. He even stopped by the road side and picked me some fresh figs!

We were so busy we didn't stop for lunch, but that's our choice and we had lots of food and drink back on the ship anyway.

Marcello cost us 400 Euros for the day, we could have shared with another couple and it would have been cheaper but Amalfi was day 2 of the cruise so we hadn't met anyone we could arrange this with.

To put cost in perspective, the cruise excursion that only includes Ravello, admittedly with a lunch in a nice hotel, was USD 350 per person, so we would have paid USD 700 for the 2 of us.

We ended up seeing Pompei as well and this day (9am-4pm non stop)was easily the best and most informative of our 7 day cruise.

• 5 weeks later...

We went to Herculaneum and toured the Amalfi Coast with Marcello in November. He is as others say, talkative and passionate. We learned a great deal from him. The highlight of the day for me was the fabulous outdoor lunch on the Amalfi Coast high in the hills with a wonderful view of orange and lemon groves and down to the water.

It was a beautiful fall day and Marcello stopped at many places for us to admire the scenery and take photos. I do not hesitate to recommend a tour with Marcello.

I have just booked Marcello for the Amalfi Coast drive and lunch in April, after reading a referral by CintiPam. After reading htis thread, I'm more excited than ever. Like CintiPam, Betsy will be celebrating a birthday that day, and Marcello has already made arrangements for a special cake.

He is picking us up as soon as we can get off the ship after anchoring at 1 PM, and will get us back to the ship by 7 PM (sailing at 8). He quoted 350 Euros for 2, 400 Euros for 4 and 450 for 6. I have not decided if I will try to find someone else; depends who we meet on the ship and who would be willing to gear their plans to ours on this special day.

One subject I have not seen mentioned except in passing -- what is the concensus regarding a tip? I have read several guidelines that state when the tour guide is also the contractor, he set his price and doesn't expect a tip. On the other hand, from everything I have read about Marcello, he is worth whatever we want to give him.

So, can anyone offer a bit of guidance?

By the way, regarding the other part of the subject of this thread, we have a relatively short day in Amalfi and will be in Sorrento the next day, where we plan to take the train to Pompeii, tour on our own with the audio guide, then continue on the train into Naples, hope to get to the National Museum, then possibly take the hydrofoil back to Sorrento instead of the train.

One subject I have not seen mentioned except in passing -- what is the concensus regarding a tip? I have read several guidelines that state when the tour guide is also the contractor, he set his price and doesn't expect a tip. On the other hand, from everything I have read about Marcello, he is worth whatever we want to give him.

So, can anyone offer a bit of guidance?

We've always tried to do at least 10% tip for our private guides/drivers.

. I have not decided if I will try to find someone else; depends who we meet on the ship and who would be willing to gear their plans to ours on this special day.why don't you post the tour on your sail date thread. I'm sure you will get others. From our thread, we have 3 or 4 cars traveling with marcello. We have used him before and booked him a second time. Even tho' he's the owner, we still tip. His fees are the same for all his tours, even when you have another driver. We usually tip 5 to 10 E a couple on our tours.

Linda

why don't you post the tour on your sail date thread. I'm sure you will get others. From our thread, we have 3 or 4 cars traveling with marcello. We have used him before and booked him a second time. Even tho' he's the owner, we still tip. His fees are the same for all his tours, even when you have another especially driver. We usually tip 5 to 10 E a couple on our tours.

How do I say this delicately, without sounding like a total oaf? There have been folks on the roll calls who sounded terrific, but have turned out to be someone we would not want to be with all day, especially on what is a

very special day for us. The price for two is no more than we have paid for some other tours that didn't hold out as much promise as this one.

Even extending it to another couple, the cost would still be somewhat more than they might pay otherwise, and I can't imagine too many people who would be willing to pay extra to spend the day with me...;)

How do I say this delicately, without sounding like a total oaf? There have been folks on the roll calls who sounded terrific, but have turned out to be someone we would not want to be with all day, At least you have thought it out. We have found people we wouldn't want to spend a full day with on a tour, but that is usually more than offset by others we enjoy the company of. We have found very good friends for life on tours. To each their own experience. I can appreciate where you are coming from.

When we tour with Marcello next, it's our 30th anniv, but we will be with good friends.

;)

Linda

Enjoy the day, whatever you choose

I have just booked Marcello for the Amalfi Coast drive and lunch in April, after reading a referral by CintiPam. After reading htis thread, I'm more excited than ever. Like CintiPam, Betsy will be celebrating a birthday that day, and Marcello has already made arrangements for a special cake.

on this special day.

Hi, Don, it simply was a wonderful day. We traveled with four others, including the fabulous Jim&Stan (we actually begged to be added to the tour they had arranged with Marcello).

The restaurant was fabulous. Keep in mind that it is your tour, and you are the boss of how you want to spend your day. Marcello is very opinionated but I enjoyed the discussion. And Mr. Military History was thrilled to be with an anti-shopping group.

We return this year, and plan to visit Herculaneum and the Naples Archaelogical Museum on our Sorrento day and Capri on our Amalfi day. However, I just read that the boats may not start from Amalfi to Capri to mid-May (we will be there at the beginning of May), so I am now not sure what to do that day. Perhaps go to Sorrento and from there catch the boat to Capri. So we would still get some lovely Amalfi Drive!

We recenly spent a full day with Salvatore this past September 27th, we highly recommend him

He was waiting for us when our ship docked in Sorrrento. We toured the Amalfi coast, visiting Positano, Amalfi & Ravello. Also stopped for lunch at wonderful little restaurant half way between Amalfi & Ravello, food was all fresh, homemade & very good. The views looking down at the coastline while seeing Ravello above you were beautiful. The name is Ristorante San Giovanni, located in Pontone.

I found Salvatore to be polite, informative, and more than willing to stop whenever we wanted to take a photo or just enjoy the view for a minute or two. Will happily use his services again, when Debra & I return to Amalfi Coast.

Linda-E : You can contact Salvatore at *********************

Enjoy the Beautiful Amalfi Coast!!!

Anthony

232323232%7Ffp5363%3B%3Enu%3D3379%3E6%3A%3A%3E395%3EWSNRCG%3D32394%3A778%3B4%3B4nu0mrj

Great Photograph !

Archived