Dawn 6/21 Lost Luggage Nightmare

billrach

OP..First of all I am so very sorry for what you encountered on what I am sure should have been one of the best memories for you. On our last cruise we flew into Ft. Lauderdale for a day or two before the cruise and the hotel, albeit for only an hour or two, lost one piece of my luggage while they were waiting for our room to be ready. So I completely understand how you felt. I was in a HUGE panic and literally as we were about to head out to a mall to replace the clothing, they found my piece of luggage. I completely understand how you felt and you are very justified in your feelings.

I do find the story about where your luggage was fishy. I'm not for sure who to hold in suspicion there, the guy who had it or NCL, but I'm with the others that their closets are just too small not to notice that for five days. We are always in a suite and although they do have bigger closets, I can assure you we would have noticed someone's suitcase in our closet. The room stewards do not usually put away your luggage anyway, at least they nor the butler has ever put ours away, packed or unpacked. I do know the butler will unpack your luggage if you ask, but never just on their own.

Now, as far as how you were treated on the ship about this issue.. I trust CrusinGrams opinion on people. I have known her here on the boards for a long time, however the fact is you left there feeling like you did. As someone in customer service, I do understand that an employee has limitations as to what he or she can do for a customer. One thing that should be boundless is empathy. All you have to do is to put yourself into the customer's position and understand how they feel, and the rest should come naturally. I'm not going to comment on what I feel they should have done for you financially, because my opinion doesn't really matter or change anything. What I will comment on is that I feel it was not handled correctly, you were not made to feel that the most was being done that could have been done, etc. If I am being fair, I do belive Anna was probably responding to how you were addressing her. HOWEVER that is no excuse if that is the case. She should have understood why you were as upset as you might have been and responded in a caring mannor. That's just how I feel about it and again if I am being honest, do not blame you for not wanting anything else to do with NCL again. I hope corporate changes your mind on that if you do contact them, but I do understand how you feel. It could have happened on any cruiseline, bu the fact is,it happened to you and on NCL.

Best wishes to you and your marriage. I do sincerely hope some day this is something you can look back on and hopefully laugh about on your 50th celebration.

On our last NCL cruise on the Jade the Medusa Lounge was specifically set aside as the place to store hand luggage until the cabins were ready for occupancy. There was an attendant on duty and you received a claim check. If you were not back to pick up your "stuff" by a specified time it was to be delivered to your cabin. We went and had lunch in the main dining room and then went back for our hand luggage. The announcement was made that the cabins were ready for everyone just as we got our bags from the Medusa Lounge! :)

Hey Lambs, see you are from Flagler Bch. My brother lives there too. Any advice for us going to Egypt/Cairo? I see you did the same cruise not long ago. How about any other "must do's"?

Not that this will help but sister and her family (5 total) went on 2 cruises with little or no luggage. One was cruise to Finland, Russia, Sweden right after the shoe bomber thing. All their luggage except the small amount of stuff they carried on, was left in a warehouse in Amsterdam. The next one was on the Pearl at Christmas. They left a day early but stormy weather got them the Miami the round about way and they arrived at 6:00 am the day the ship was leaving. Their luggage was no where to be found. I think one piece arrived at the first port and that was it. Needless to say, my sister is done with cruising. These were both the airlines fault. They did make the best of it and did mange to have some fun. Sorry about your honeymoon. I hope NCL will come through and make it right.

Hey Lambs, see you are from Flagler Bch. My brother lives there too. Any advice for us going to Egypt/Cairo? I see you did the same cruise not long ago. How about any other "must do's"?

Hi there BarbRN! We have lived in Flagler for over 30 years. DH was the high school principal there for almost 25 years. I was born in Daytona Beach which is only 15 miles away. Here is a link to my review of our 21 day Jade cruise. The Egypt part is near the end and we had an absolutely marvelous trip: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=53361

Welcome DawnGirl. I see you are new to CC. Based on your screen name, have you cruised NCL before?

Thanks lowtyd. Yes, I am a long time NCL cruiser. I usually just lurk and as you can see changed my mind about what my first post should be.

Since when did stewards start putting luggage in closets? Ours has always been left in the hall outside the room.

That is what I am thinking. How can you go even one day with extra luggage in your cabin. I think the guy in the cabin below was too lazy to do anything about the extra bag.

That is what I am thinking. How can you go even one day with extra luggage in your cabin. I think the guy in the cabin below was too lazy to do anything about the extra bag.

He could have called to have someone pick it up...just pure lazy in my book.

He could have called to have someone pick it up...just pure lazy in my book.

He's the one who should have been "hung out to dry". I think I would have been at his cabin door to have a few word with him. How anyone could not notice a case in their closet is beyond me...it would take up most of the closet for starters.

Doesn't help the OP but a lady's bag was missing on a Majesty cruise I was on. It was totally her fault and the cab driver's. She got out of the cab and assumed the driver gave her bags to the porter, which he didn't. NCL gave her $200 right away for whatever she could pick up in the gift shop. Passengers found out and many came forward with offers of clothes, toiletries and makeup. :)

Trust me, if there was a strange piece of luggage in my closet on the Dawn, I would know about it and be in a real hurry to get rid of it.

I would be afraid to have a suspicious bag in my cabin on a ship in the middle of the ocean. I guess the New York in me makes me suspicious of things like that.

I cannot believ that man found the luggage in the closet. There is no way the steward would put it in closet. Usually I find luggage by door or inside near bed in order to unpack. Something is not koser in Denmark.:( make sure you write a letter to the headquarters. maybe they will send you some sort of credit for next cruise.

Lesson learned - always carry on a few items and any essentials (e.g. medications, contact lens solutions ...), and cross-pack (as others have noted).

You can indeed stash carry on luggage - on the Dawn it is at Dazzles.

I also don't understand why the OP couldn't have purchased a shirt and shorts himself at the gift shop - I realize it is over priced and the OP was looking for NCL to step up to the plate, but wouldn't it have been better just to do that? It would probably set you back $50, but better than all of the aggravation ... (and in my mind, the OP is not blameless, as any proper planning includes bringing a few items whether travelling by plane or on a cruise.)

Trust me, if there was a strange piece of luggage in my closet on the Dawn, I would know about it and be in a real hurry to get rid of it.

I would be afraid to have a suspicious bag in my cabin on a ship in the middle of the ocean. I guess the New York in me makes me suspicious of things like that.

I'm pretty sure everyone no matter where they are from would be suspicious of a strange bag in their cabin. Not just folks from New York.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure everyone no matter where they are from would be suspicious of a strange bag in their cabin. Not just folks from New York.:rolleyes:

See something...Say something!:)

I find something very odd and suspicious about this bag being in another cabin for almost a week. Did you actually speak face to face with the other passenger, or did you just take NCL's word for it ?.

As far as the response / help (or lack thereof) from NCL staff during your emergency, I think I would have gone to my cabin, sent my one set of clothes out for dry cleaning, and then ordered room service. I would have then made sure the room service person saw me and called their manager, who would have then called the hotel manager and so on.....bottom line....nobody wants a naked passenger roaming the ship, so I am sure I would have had a steady parade of officers at my cabin door, and the gift shop credit would have been forthcoming then.

The other choice would have been to wear my wife's clothes to dinner, but you said you are a 230 lb man, so maybe that would have been a stretch (pun intended).

Anyway, happy everything worked out in the end.

Sounds like NCL dropped the ball and threw it overboard on this one,no excuse for not addressing the problem with a bit more effort.

I think if it were me, I'd write up a sign of protest and parade around the ship dressed in a box or something ridiculous to let everyone know NCL wasn't doing a thing about this major inconvenience. I'd bet they'd either lock me up or do something if I stood outside the MDR's or buffet where large groups of folks could get an earful and eyeful. If they did lock me up, they'd get sued for alot more than the couple hundred bucks it would have cost to address the problem.

As for the birdbrain that kept your stuff till Friday, he should be embarrassed for being so thoughtless and uncaring, thats a tough mistake to make, and for 5 days almost unbelieveable.

Sounds like NCL dropped the ball and threw it overboard on this one,no excuse for not addressing the problem with a bit more effort.

I think if it were me, I'd write up a sign of protest and parade around the ship dressed in a box or something ridiculous to let everyone know NCL wasn't doing a thing about this major inconvenience. I'd bet they'd either lock me up or do something if I stood outside the MDR's or buffet where large groups of folks could get an earful and eyeful. If they did lock me up, they'd get sued for alot more than the couple hundred bucks it would have cost to address the problem.

As for the birdbrain that kept your stuff till Friday, he should be embarrassed for being so thoughtless and uncaring, thats a tough mistake to make, and for 5 days almost unbelieveable.

This is now being exaggerated. Where do we get the idea that nothing was being done? The crew was looking, notices were sent to the cabins. Litigation is not always the answer when a mistake is made. I think it's amazing more mistakes are not made on such a large operation. I feel for the OP, I truly do, but stuff happens and lawsuits are not the answer. I've had my luggage lost. You cross-pack, you buy some extra stuff, get what you can reimbursed and enjoy your vacation as best you can. Everything else just adds to your blood pressure.

I agree that it does sound strange that someone would not notice someone elses luggage in their closet and why would the room steward put it there. I have never had that happen.

My sentiments exactly! I find it so odd that the other person did not notice an extra bag in their cabin, especially in those small closets.

OP, congrats on your recent nuptials.

The only way there could be a strange piece of luggage in the closet and I didn't contact the steward STRAIGHT AWAY would be if I was travelling with a friend and maybe wasn't sure what sort of luggage they had.

Or if it was very similar to one of ours .

All in all, very strange.

It's a pity the OP didn't manage to talk over the matter with 8198.

It's also surprising that the stewards didn't notice it when they had been specifically advised to look for it.

Reeeaaalllly strange.

I think if it were me, I'd write up a sign of protest and parade around the ship dressed in a box or something ridiculous QUOTE]

That is a hysterical idea! I think that would have gotten everyone attention!

To the OP it really stinks that NCL did not handle the situation better. Would it have killed them to give you two outfits from the shops? Good grief!

I also wanted to add that on our 1st NCL trip we had a big problem with a NCL excursion. It was difficult to get anyone to listen on the ship. When we returned home we sent in a detailed letter. We got several phone calls and letters apologizing for the situation. At the time I thought I would never sail NCL again but NCL did listen to us. We have since been on 4 more trips with them.

This is now being exaggerated. Where do we get the idea that nothing was being done? The crew was looking, notices were sent to the cabins. Litigation is not always the answer when a mistake is made. I think it's amazing more mistakes are not made on such a large operation. I feel for the OP, I truly do, but stuff happens and lawsuits are not the answer. I've had my luggage lost. You cross-pack, you buy some extra stuff, get what you can reimbursed and enjoy your vacation as best you can. Everything else just adds to your blood pressure.

Now you've done it!!!! By bringing logic, sanity and maturity to this thread you have ruined a perfectly good rant.

Who do you think you are to do that? Can it be possible that you are a seasoned traveler who knows "ship" happens sometimes? You cannot tell ME that you are prepared for those irritating occurences, can you?

Everyone knows that a lost suitcase can totally ruin a trip....totally. Nothing says "conspiracy" better than a perceived injustice! How dare you think otherwise. To deliberately ignore a crisis like this is fodder for the biggest lawsuit in history....and I hope those ignoramuses on the ship get what's coming to them........:rolleyes:

Being helpless human beings, we are always at the mercy and oddities of others...."they" are all against us....all the time. Nobody cares, nobody "does" anything, everybody always ignores us in our time of strife.

Your post has now changed the tenor of this entire matter......and ruined it.;););)

Now you've done it!!!! By bringing logic' date=' sanity and maturity to this thread you have ruined a perfectly good rant.

Who do you think you are to do that? Can it be possible that you are a seasoned traveler who knows "ship" happens sometimes? You cannot tell ME that you are prepared for those irritating occurences, can you?

Everyone knows that a lost suitcase can totally ruin a trip....totally. Nothing says "conspiracy" better than a perceived injustice! How dare you think otherwise. To deliberately ignore a crisis like this is fodder for the biggest lawsuit in history....and I hope those ignoramuses on the ship get what's coming to them........:rolleyes:

Being helpless human beings, we are always at the mercy and oddities of others...."they" are all against us....all the time. Nobody cares, nobody "does" anything, everybody always ignores us in our time of strife.

Your post has now changed the tenor of this entire matter......and ruined it.;););)[/quote']

ok...so i'm guessing there is sarcasm in the tone here? :D

Archived