Cruisin for the 1st time!

CCSauceda

Hi All,

I have been on this forum for quite some time but still can't seem to find the answers to my questions. Sorry if this is a duplicate post and the answers are somewhere else...:rolleyes: In case it makes any difference: I am leaving the the Carnival Splendor on Sunday, August 30.

1. The schedule on Carnival's website says that we are departing at 5:30 pm. What time should I arrive to the port? I have seen in other threads that people arrive to port as early as 10am:eek:, does that mean they departed earlier?

2. Although I am a light packer, I plan on taking at least a 12-pack of water (7 day cruise) and some extras... (ahem - Booze). Would it be ok for me to take another suitecase or should I take a gym bag and add it to the checked bag?

3. Does a purse count for a carry-on?

4. How long does it usually take to get off the ship when you arrive back to your original port? I have a family function in the early afternoon and want to know if I will make it since I am supposed to arrive at 9am.

And finally...

5. I see a lot of people using abbreviations (i.e. DH, DW, DD, POV, :confused: etc.) is there a list where I can find out what these mean?? :o I feel like such a newbie when I read some posts because I don't know exactly what they mean. Lol...

Any/all help is much appreciated. :)

You should arrive around noon---maybe a bit earlier. Boarding day is the 1st day of the cruise you've paid for: USE that ship!

You don't need water--the ship's water is more than fine to drink! After all, the ice, food, drink, etc...is made with it!

Carnival doesn't allow you to bring your own liquor. If you do, put it in your LOCKED, CHECKED bags--don't let it be "delivered" to your cabin where it can be seen, or it won't get there!

The ship isn't like a plane---you can "carry on" whatever you want, as long as it fits through the scanners, and isn't booze!

They will want to empty the ship no later than 10 am...and probably earlier than that!

The "D" stands for Dear, Darling, Doofus, husband, wife, son, etc....POV--point of view, IMO--in my opinion.....

Arrive anytime fom 11 am to about 3pm.

I don't see how you are getting to the port, but guess you are driving if yo expect to be home early afternoon. If driving, there is no real limit on the number of bags. Take what you want.

It usually takes 30 to 60 minutes for the ship to dock and to be cleared by the local authorities. The debarkation begins. Most lines offer self-debarkation. With this you carry all your bags off the ship. This is usually the quickest way off. With it you could be on your way by 10 or 10:30 if all goes well.

1 - Usually Carnival advises you that you must be on the ship 2 hours prior to sailing. So my guess will be 11 - 330 will be your boarding times

2 - Personally.. if you are driving to your port.. I have done this, but my 6 pack of water turned into a 3 pack of water with 3 bottles of Malibu, Vodka, and rum in my checked luggage at the ship so it didn't go through the scanner. However!! I have flown in to the port before and right before you get on the ship there is a duty free store and you can take on 2 bottles of alcohol in your carryone since you have already passed the scanners

3. - If you want to carry around 5 bags EACH around on the ship till your cabin is ready so be it.. It isn't like a plane, whatever you feel like tagging along with you for roughly an hour till your cabin is ready.. so be it..

4. - I suggest seeing if the ship will let you carry your own belongings off and that will save you time. However!!! If you are toting around 4-5 BIG bags and there are only 2 of you.. just be forewarned that they (meaning NO ONE) will help you off the ship and you must do it on your own. (Did this off the Glory and the shipped docked at 7 and we were off by 8) On that last morning though.. listen closely to the announcements of when you can disembark.

5. - I see other's have answered but as an example - DH(dear husband) DD (dear daughter) DS (dear son) MIL (Mother in-law) IMHO (In my honest opinion)

Hope this helps... remember to keep reading these boards.. there are ALOT of great information tucked away in each thread...

Happy travels~;)

1. The schedule on Carnival's website says that we are departing at 5:30 pm. What time should I arrive to the port? I have seen in other threads that people arrive to port as early as 10am:eek:, does that mean they departed earlier?

2. Although I am a light packer, I plan on taking at least a 12-pack of water (7 day cruise) and some extras... (ahem - Booze). Would it be ok for me to take another suitecase or should I take a gym bag and add it to the checked bag?

4. How long does it usually take to get off the ship when you arrive back to your original port? I have a family function in the early afternoon and want to know if I will make it since I am supposed to arrive at 9am.

And finally...

5. I see a lot of people using abbreviations (i.e. DH, DW, DD, POV, :confused: etc.) is there a list where I can find out what these mean?? :o I feel like such a newbie when I read some posts because I don't know exactly what they mean. Lol...

To be abit more clear on the boarding time...it sounds as if the ship sails at 5:30. Which means you have to be onboard least by 3:30 as said above for most new security rules. But you can board much sooner, perhaps as early as 11 in most cases.

So if driving in, go ahead and plan for an early arrival. You can get checked in and be on board. You start enjoying the ship that much sooner. Have some lunch, explore the ship, find all the neat places.

A ship isn't like an airline. As long as your carry on fits through a standard size scanner, you can carry it on board. No a purse is just a purse. But, arriving at 11 and getting on board at that time, your cabin won't be ready until 2, so whatever you carry on, you have to lug it around with you all over the ship, and that's a pain. Just carry on the essentials and give the rest of your luggage to the porters.

• 3 weeks later...

1. They say they sail at 5.30? They go at 5.30, no earlier and seldom later. We plan on boarding at noon, the day of sailing.

2. Water???? No need. Waste of space and weight. Booze? Not allowed except for one bottle of wine and kept for use along with a fifteen dollar corking fee. Can cheat on this but chances of getting caught are good.

3. Purse? You got to be kidding. Only things needed - Passport, credit card or cards, cash. In a cheap, nonmetallic money belt. Keep goodies like jewelry in the stateroom safe.

4. Every cruise I have been on has been docked by the time I woke up the morning of debarkation. Usually around 5 am.

5. I don't use abv. Like to chat too much. :cool:

Hi All,

I have been on this forum for quite some time but still can't seem to find the answers to my questions. Sorry if this is a duplicate post and the answers are somewhere else...:rolleyes: In case it makes any difference: I am leaving the the Carnival Splendor on Sunday, August 30.

And finally...

Hi All,

And finally...

i know everyone already answered most questions BUT i always board the ship around 10:30 this way you have the entire day to eat and relax... as far as water bottles and alcohol go, we wrap the alcohol bottles very tightly in clothes and towels so they don't break or get caught... never once did we have a problem and our friends do the same (on carnival)... also, i always bring on a few water bottles just bc i'm a huge water drinker and it can't hurt!

Check out the Rumrunners for taking alcohol on board. Do a google search on Rumrunners. You will see what I mean. I think the only port that you can buy your bottles of liquer and carry them on (other than your allotted 1 bottle of wine each) is San Juan. If you are sailing out of there you are in luck. But you have to buy them at the store after you go through security. Have fun!!!

Check out the Rumrunners for taking alcohol on board. Do a google search on Rumrunners. You will see what I mean. I think the only port that you can buy your bottles of liquer and carry them on (other than your allotted 1 bottle of wine each) is San Juan. If you are sailing out of there you are in luck. But you have to buy them at the store after you go through security. Have fun!!!

Thank you Nurse! I will definitely look them up. DBF isn't a big drinker and I think I will be fine with my bottle(s) of wine should be fine. But I was considering bringing on some Rum. Perfect for the RumRunners. :) Thanks again!

And THANK YOU to all who have replied. Only 34 days! Woo-Hoo!!:D

We are also going on the Splendor, but in September. I read in our booking document that says "...we strongly encourage you NOT to arrive at the cruise terminal more than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled Check-In start time for your cruise." The check-in start time is 1:30. Should we still go early anyways? We were hoping to get there by 12, check in and have lunch then the kids can swim by 2. Are the early check-ins only for VIPs? Thanks.

Archived