Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I am in a quandry. Our ship is scheduled to dock at 7 AM (I am not sure which dock.) All the flights back to Newark leave at or before 10:40 AM or in the evening. And I know its about an hour to the airport.

Does the ship need to go through any form of immigration (our last port prior to Stockholm is Visby?)

If not, do I have a decent change of making a 10:40 flight? Normally I would not try to cut it that close, but I really should be back at work the next day so there is not much choice.

And what is the fastest way to the airport? Taxi to the airport train or taxi all the way?

Thanks

Morning,

Just a quick question on the ice bar. . do you think the Ice Bar is worth visiting and if so how far is it from the Vasa Museum? I took a look at the web page and it looks like we have to make reservations in advance. Not being drinkers I wonder if we should go experience. Your thooughts would be greatly appreciated. Our cruise is in August.

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

June 13, 2010

Hi,

A friend and I will be visiting Stockholm and Copenhagen.

We will be arriving in Stockholm by plane at ARN on July 26th at 9:35AM via Delta Flight #202. Need a pick up…We are staying at a Radisson Hotel.

We will be going to cruise ship Crystal, Symphony on July 28th. Will need a ride.

We might be interested in some private touring during the days we will be there.

The ship is docking in Copenhagen on August 7th.

We need a ride to hotel, again a Radisson.

At this moment I do not know exactly where the hotels are, but will find out.

Departing from Copenhagen(CPH) on Monday Aug.9th to fly to NY.

Again we will need a ride to airport.

We might be interested in some private touring while in Copenhagen

Please let me know if you can be of any help to me.

Thank you.

Joan Stone

Shakehead2@aol.com

Wack001 - I'm sure you already have learned how valuable this site is for information.

We are on the Eurodam and leave July 9th. I think I'm all prepared with all my notes etc.

Ask away if you have questions.

Milwaukee;

Hi, this is my confusion, like you I want to go to Vasa and then back, but what is the cost for a ticket to get to Vasa, figure the boat/bus is the quickest since our ships are at the same pier.

Assistance?

Thanks

Bob

MANY thanks to all the locals that shared info for our day in Stockholm. We have just returned from the cruise and LOVED Stockholm and had a wonderful day thanks to all the great info. I wanted to share some tips from our actual experience.

First, there had been some question as to whether the 24 hr transport pass could be purchased from the pier kiosk at Stadsgarden 167- I can verify that we WERE able to get the 24chr transport pass for 100SEK from the pier kiosk--get off the ship ASAP as the line gets long there from people not knowing what they want to do and asking questions.

From the pier we took a city bus to Slussen--the pavement even is marked with a line to follow to the bus stop-(all buses stop in Slussen so we took the first one that came.)

From Slussen we had a short walk to the Djursgaren ferry with a short lovely ride to near Vasa(short easy walk from ferry stop) -This is included in the 24 hr pass.

We loved Vasa and took time for both the film and guided tour(included in admission price - 110 SEK)-excellent

Then we took ferry back to near south end of Gamla Stan and wandered around there- visiting Storykan catherdral, finding the Iron Boy small statue in courtyard, Royal Palace, etc.

We then rode the blue line metro from a big stop(not sure of spelling like Kundstagarden for 2 stops- to see the fabulous art work in the metro-fantastic) then on to see city hall(no time for the inside tour)

From City Hall we took the advice received on this thread and took bus 3 to the Tjarhorsplan stop on Sodermalm- we then walk to see La Mano statue on Katarinavagen before walking on Fjallgatan and on back to the ship. --Sodermalm is lovely and the view from Fjallgatan is wonderful- stopping for ice cream at I believe Kaffestuga. I am so glad we took some time to explore Sodermalm(as suggested by the locals on this thread) as it is quite lovely.

Only regret was that our ship was not in port longer- Stockholm is so lovely.

I hope this summary from our recent experience will help someone make the most of their time in this lovely city.

Edited by floridafolks

MANY thanks to all the locals that shared info for our day in Stockholm. We have just returned from the cruise and LOVED Stockholm and had a wonderful day thanks to all the great info. I wanted to share some tips from our actual experience.

First, there had been some question as to whether the 24 hr transport pass could be purchased from the pier kiosk at Stadsgarden 167- I can verify that we WERE able to get the 24chr transport pass for 100SEK from the pier kiosk--get off the ship ASAP as the line gets long there from people not knowing what they want to do and asking questions.

From the pier we took a city bus to Slussen--the pavement even is marked with a line to follow to the bus stop-(all buses stop in Slussen so we took the first one that came.)

From Slussen we had a short walk to the Djursgaren ferry with a short lovely ride to near Vasa(short easy walk from ferry stop) -This is included in the 24 hr pass.

We loved Vasa and took time for both the film and guided tour(included in admission price - 110 SEK)-excellent

Then we took ferry back to near south end of Gamla Stan and wandered around there- visiting Storykan catherdral, finding the Iron Boy small statue in courtyard, Royal Palace, etc.

We then rode the blue line metro from a big stop(not sure of spelling like Kundstagarden for 2 stops- to see the fabulous art work in the metro-fantastic) then on to see city hall(no time for the inside tour)

From City Hall we took the advice received on this thread and took bus 3 to the Tjarhorsplan stop on Sodermalm- we then walk to see La Mano statue on Katarinavagen before walking on Fjallgatan and on back to the ship. --Sodermalm is lovely and the view from Fjallgatan is wonderful- stopping for ice cream at I believe Kaffestuga. I am so glad we took some time to explore Sodermalm(as suggested by the locals on this thread) as it is quite lovely.

I hope this summary from our recent experience will help someone make the most of their time in this lovely city.

Very help ful review. Were you able to use a credit card or Euros for the 24-hr bus pass?

Since it is mainly the transport you are interested in why not just buy the 24 hour transport card. It should be sold in the info shop on the quay from what I have been told. Cost is 100 kronor, a lot less than the card you can order online. But of course it is only for transport, including the regular ferry from Djurgården to Gamla Stan, not museums or sightseeing.

The museums take credit cards so you don't have to worry about changing any money for that.

Thanks. I think our Stockholm plans have been totally changed now, so I may only need bus transport in and out of the city center. It may not even be worth it to get a transport card. What do you think? Can I just get a ticket good for two trips?

Plan:

Bus 76 from Frihamnen to Slottsbacken

Explore Gamla Stan & Kungstradgarden areas.

Walk to Stadhusbron pier (it seems like an ok walk, is it?)

Ferry to Drottningholm

Explore palace, gardens, chinese pavilion

Ferry back to Stadhusbron

Walk to Karl XII:s torg bus stop

Bus 76 back to Frihamnen.

We will get the Ferry/Palace combo tickets when we're there. I guess we'll get the bus tickets at the info kiosk on the dock.

I've cut out touring the Stadhuset altogether, but I don't want to be rushing around the whole time. Besides, we'll be back when my husband gets his Nobel Prize anyhow. :rolleyes:

Very help ful review. Were you able to use a credit card or Euros for the 24-hr bus pass?

Actually b/c of the advanced planning, I got 500SEK before leaving to cover known expenses. I went to ATM in Gamla Stan for a little more incidental money later in the day(using no-fee card)

(I was able to get it the 500 SEK at the currency exchange at the Mall and they even waived the fee)

Sorry, I do not have any first-hand knowledge of using CC or Euros at kiosk.

Super! So glad to finally get definitive word on this. Since we (locals) can't get inside the security gates it is great to know that they sell the 24 hour card.

One word here, be careful. I too thought that all buses that stopped at Londonviadukten went to Slussen, this is not quite true. Just make sure you get on one of the LONG buses and you should be fine for Slussen.

Glad you saw a slice of Södermalm, sounds like you had a great day, thanks for posting.

Skål!

Al

Skål!

Al

We were told that all buses from the stop near Pier 167 Stadsgarden stopped at Slussen, but upon returning we were told to use only buses numbered in the 400's from Slussen (We returned via City Hall and Bus 3-so this did not concern us) I am glad the first bus was a LONG bus or I would have had all the people following me on a wrong bus.-of course I doubled checked when I got on by asking the driver if the bus went to Slussen just in case. Everyone in Stockholm was so nice!!

Stockholm was a fabulous stop for us-- unfortunately my DH erased half of the pix from that day from our camera thinking he had downloaded them to the computer.- SO if anyone has photos from inside Storykan, of the Little Iron Boy, of the blue line subway, of La Mano, or of the gorgeous views from Fjallatan, I would really appreciate being able to download them somehow- like email attachment or somehow please let me know. We have our morniing photos from Vasa and the palace but the afternoon photos are gone.

Can anyone help me replace those photos?

floridafolks - were taxis readily available as we have 5 in our group so might be more feasible to take a txi to Vasa.

Thanks,

Sorry. I did not notice taxis, but I was not looking for them. All I did was go directly to info kiosk and buy the day pass and follow the stripe on the pavement to the bus stop and the bus was just arriving as we got there. It went so quickly that I did not notice any other details. I wish I could have been of more help.

Do you plan to do a full review of your Baltics trip? And where would you post it if you do (please?) We are on the Star July 21 and interested in any tips or observations! Thanks! Kathy

Do you plan to do a full review of your Baltics trip? And where would you post it if you do (please?) We are on the Star July 21 and interested in any tips or observations! Thanks! Kathy

I really had not thought about that- not sure what people might be interested in. I did want to "give back" to this thread b/c there had been some "unanswered" question regarding what was available at the Stadsgarden pier kiosk. I went out with "hope" that they sold the 24 hr transport card since locals could not get behind the security fence to verify, so I wanted to assure those on future trips to avoid needless worry. I really got such detailed info from the "locals" on this thread that I wanted to let them know how wonderful there ideas were and how easy it was to follow. We like to do some "mainstream" things(like Vasa and Gamla Stan) but also some not so common things(like exploring Sodermalm a bit and the art in the Metro)

If you there is anything you might be interested in I would be happy to try and help. I spent so much time before the trip getting so much help from CC that I would be glad to help now if I can.

Concerning the purchase of the 24hr card at the pier 167 kiosk...can you pay with a credit card or is it cash (SEK) only?

I paid in SEK, which I got before leaving home, so I do not know if a credit card is accepted. Sorry, but maybe someone else can verify.

Let me also stress that the kiosk markets itself as an INfO center, so I was surprised at how many people flocked there that had no idea what they wanted to do and were asking so many questions, so get to the kiosk early or you will be waiting in line for awhile. (Not everyone does as much research/preplanning as those of us on Cruise Critics boards who have had the benefit of advice from the "locals.")

Edited by floridafolks

Plan:

We will get the Ferry/Palace combo tickets when we're there. I guess we'll get the bus tickets at the info kiosk on the dock.

I've cut out touring the Stadhuset altogether, but I don't want to be rushing around the whole time. Besides, we'll be back when my husband gets his Nobel Prize anyhow. :rolleyes:

Plan:

Hi, Reading that you were on Bus 76 I'm hoping you might have answers for me regarding the stops. We will be in Gama Stan and will take Bus 76 back to our ship in Frihamnen. Can you tell me where to find the bus stop? Not sure where your ship docked, but having two different ports apart from each I should find out which direction Frihamnen is from Gama Stan....east/west or north/south. Do you remember what the cost was for the tickets. We would need two tickets for the bus but I think the one day ticket covers the ferry also.

Also, can you give a rough idea of how to get to the Palace in Gama Stan from the ferry boats? Is it a long walk? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi, Reading that you were on Bus 76 I'm hoping you might have answers for me regarding the stops. We will be in Gama Stan and will take Bus 76 back to our ship in Frihamnen. Can you tell me where to find the bus stop? Not sure where your ship docked, but having two different ports apart from each I should find out which direction Frihamnen is from Gama Stan....east/west or north/south. Do you remember what the cost was for the tickets. We would need two tickets for the bus but I think the one day ticket covers the ferry also.

Also, can you give a rough idea of how to get to the Palace in Gama Stan from the ferry boats? Is it a long walk? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Milwaukeeee, I think flower91882 was only planning the trip. :)

Anyway, I can answer those questions.

Frihamnen is about 2 miles northeast of Gamla Stan.

From the Djurgården ferry it is some 625 yards walk northwards along the quay to the Palace. You'll pass a #76 bus stop near the ferry and then another one just before reaching the Palace.

Single tickets cost 20 kronor per coupon in a ticket automat or 15 kronor per coupon, pre-paid. You need two coupons for each trip. Yes, the one day ticket covers the Djurgården ferry too and I recommended you buy it instead of messing around with costly coupons. ;)

Concerning the purchase of the 24hr card at the pier 167 kiosk...can you pay with a credit card or is it cash (SEK) only?

Since I can't get behind the gates I can't say 100% if they take credit cards at the info kiosk. However, Sweden runs on plastic so I would be VERY surprised if they did not. I would say 99.9% sure major credit cards are accepted.

Enjoy your trip,

Al

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I cannot find operating times on the stromma website for the HOHO buses. Does anyone know what time they start? We will be there in July, and are hoping to catch a blue line bus at the Frihamnen pier. Thanks!

Floridafolks, where all did you go on Sodermalm and were you glad you spent some time there? Thanks. Marlyne

At the end of the day, we took bus 3 from city hall to Tjarhovsplan exit and walked back to Katarinvagen to see La Mano statue then on via Fjallgatan to Stadsgarden 167 stopping at Kafestuga for ice cream(full of local families enjoying the day).I had all this on a google map so it was super easy to follow. What I liked about this route back to the ship was there were almost no other tourists- just locals. It was a nice way to end the day and we could LINGER over the lovely views (it is up high looking down) as long as we wanted depending on when we needed to be back at the ship. It is a MUCH nicer way back to the pier, if you have time. We wandered as time permitted- especially enjoyed going into a courtyard of some little church with lovely flowers and lovely views.

I am just sad that all the pix we took from Sodermalm got erased from our camera before downloaded to our laptop--So if anyone else follows this route and has photos to share, I would appreciate that.

Unfortunately, our ship was only in port 10-5(we needed to be onboard by 4:30), so we could not explore more. Locals on this thread have listed other things to explore there, time permitting. If we were not docked at Stadsgarden, then I do not think we would have had time to do this.

I originally was trying to work in the Ice Bar, but I think we would have been rushed. Based on the locals' recommendations on this thread, I am so glad we saw a little of Sodermalm instead. I think it represented a side of real Stockholm life better than the Ice Bar.

Edited by floridafolks

Thanks Al Frescoe and Floridafolks for the answer about the 24hr transport ticket. To be safe, I'll make sure to have enough cash. Thanks, too for the warning about disembarking ASAP. I agree that CC readers are so fortunate to know so many generous people, who share experiences. It has made all of my cruises much better than I could have imagined. I especially thank those natives of ports of call (on this thread, Al Frescoe and Ultima Thule) who give so much time to help visitors enjoy the best experiences in their hometowns. It involves a lot of time and patience!

Phyllis