Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I just posted this question elsewhere on the Baltic board, however, thought I might get a quick response here. I just found out that we might end up at Nynashamn if for some reason (weather) we cannot dock where we are scheduled which is Stradsgarden(spelling). So I guess I need a plan B should that happen when we are cruising in September.

My question is how do I best get from Nynashamn to the Vasa Museum? I read somewhere that there was a train, if so how do I get to the train station and then how do I get from the station to the Vasa? How long does all of this take. Any information you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Barbara

That would be awful. We were docked there when we were on our last Baltic cruise. Besides wasting time in travel, you miss the archipelago.

We did take the train. On the Baltic ports, if you do a search, there is extensive information on how to catch the train.

Marlyne

Still hoping that we don't go to Nynashamn, but want to get some plans in order if we do. Hoping that somone on this site can give me definitive directions. It seems there are some problems with the trains and when they leave the port for Stockholm to return, it seems only some of the cars go right thru. We arrive about 10AM and depart at 5PM. Help!!!

Thanks, Barbara

Could someone tell me the approximate cost of a taxi from Frihamen to the Vasa? We thought we'd get the boat then to Gamla Stan. I was willing to take the ship's excursion that ends at noon, but they won't let us stay in town to explore.

Are pedestrians allowed to walk across the Centralban from Sodermalm to Ridderholmen? Thanks. Marlyne

Not sure if thete is a pedestian walkway next to the railroad lines o Centralbron but nearby Vasabron should be ok for pedestrians.

Hi Ultima Thule,

We arrive at 8:00a at Stadsgarden 167 and depart at 5:00p. Are we crazy to try to see the Vasa Museum, a bit of Skansen and Gamla Stan in that amount of time? I'm started to feel frenzied just thinking about it.

Thanks,

Julie

We arrive at 8:00a at Stadsgarden 167 and depart at 5:00p. Are we crazy to try to see the Vasa Museum, a bit of Skansen and Gamla Stan in that amount of time? I'm started to feel frenzied just thinking about it.

Hi Julie

I'm from Finland myself but I have visited Stockholm many many times, often under similar time restrictions, and I have done similar to what you plan to do several times so your plans are not crazy at all if you just make up a simple time schedule for yourself and then keep an eye on the clock. I don't know how many you mean with "we" but the fewer you are, the easier it is to do it. Of course you have realize you cannot see every item exhibited on Vasa, not every house at Skansen nor investigate every alley at Gamla Stan but I would say you would be able to get quite a good feeling for all three places if you just are prepared to do a few shortcuts here and there.

For example: People on this group highly recommends the Vasa film and admittingly it is fashinating and puts you in correct mood to see the ship but watching a movie when you are under restricted time might be a bit frustrating. Watch this similar one on You Tube now instead, and save yourself 20 minutes on the museum:

Be prepered Skansen is both hilly and rather large. You really cannot do it in less than 1 1/2 hour.

http://skansen.mediaprod.se/docs/Skansenkarta_highres.pdf

Assuming you arrive to Gamla Stan with the ferry from Skansen you could for example choose the following way: Södra Bankogränd, Järntorget, Västerlånggatan all the way to Storkyrkobrinken, Källargränd, Trångsund, Stortorget, and then round the Nobel Museum and the church to the Palace yard.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.322746,18.073647&spn=0.001191,0.004026&z=19

I'm afraid you'll not have time to see the inside of the palace but if you have some spare time left and have nothing against walking down/up long spiral steps you could consider having a fast visit to the Royal Treasury near the South gate. Its the museum that should take the least time (assuming it is not jammed with visitors)

I also want to add that I have visited the Vasa museum some ten times but I have never had any problems with any queues. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Edited by Ultima Thule

I would say you would be able to get quite a good feeling for all three places if you just are prepared to do a few shortcuts here and there.

For example: People on this group highly recommends the Vasa film and admittingly it is fashinating and puts you in correct mood to see the ship but watching a movie when you are under restricted time might be a bit frustrating. Watch this similar one on You Tube now instead, and save yourself 20 minutes on the museum:

Be prepered Skansen is both hilly and rather large. You really cannot do it in less than 1 1/2 hour.

http://skansen.mediaprod.se/docs/Skansenkarta_highres.pdf

Assuming you arrive to Gamla Stan with the ferry from Skansen you could for example choose the following way: Södra Bankogränd, Järntorget, Västerlånggatan all the way to Storkyrkobrinken, Källargränd, Trångsund, Stortorget, and then round the Nobel Museum and the church to the Palace yard.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.322746,18.073647&spn=0.001191,0.004026&z=19

I'm afraid you'll not have time to see the inside of the palace but if you have some spare time left and have nothing against walking down/up long spiral steps you could consider having a fast visit to the Royal Treasury near the South gate. Its the museum that should take the least time (assuming it is not jammed with visitors)

I also want to add that I have visited the Vasa museum some ten times but I have never had any problems with any queues. Maybe I have just been lucky.

Ultima,

Thank you so much for your suggestions and helpful hints, especially the YouTube video "shortcut" for the Vasa. We too have a very limited time in Stockholm in August and want to make the most of it. Thanks to you, we'll at least have an extra 20 minutes now that we would have spent watching the film at the Vasa!!

Tami

Ultima,

Thanks for the tips. I had considered buying the film in the giftshop (if they sell it) to watch it at our leisure and not use up valuable port time. Your tip on the YouTube film will be very helpful.

Thank you for the plans for Gamla Stan, at least now we know what our trade-offs will have to be.

Julie

Ultima Thule and north-bound ~ THANK YOU for your bus/walking directions through Södermalm to Stadsgården and the ship.</SPAN>

On our first visit to Stockholm our son-in-law’s brother-in-law (sorry for the complications!) drove us all by van into the city. I remember he pulled over to show us a view of the city that was fantastic - and I think it may have been in this area! We look forward to seeing it again!

Question ~ I noticed on one of the maps a restaurant/café FAFNGAN. I can find only a little information on-line. Is it possible to continue walking along Folkungagatan and turn right (instead of going down to the ship) and reach the cafe? It’s hard to tell on the map if its walkable. Do you know anything about the café? Would it be possible to walk to the ship? Would cabs be available?

You both have been such a big help to SO many!!

Tack så mycket

Question ~ I noticed on one of the maps a restaurant/café FAFNGAN. I can find only a little information on-line. Is it possible to continue walking along Folkungagatan and turn right (instead of going down to the ship) and reach the cafe? It’s hard to tell on the map if its walkable. Do you know anything about the café? Would it be possible to walk to the ship? Would cabs be available?

Fåfängan, pronounced approx. FOH-Fengan, meaning "The Vanity"

I have never been there but the web site says:

Fåfängan is located on a height with two ways up

One route is the stairs and starts at the London viaduct. You'll probably, select this way if you walk or use public transport. The second way is the Klockstapelsbacken (bell cage hill). There are parking spaces at the beginning of the road, the last bit up to the restaurant you walk.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/F%C3%A5f%C3%A4ngan_2009a.jpg

http://www.fafangan.se/foto.htm

When you walk Folkungagatan towards the ship you walk downhill so that when you reach the main road out of Stockholm you are almost down at quay level. Fåfängan is on another cliff, so there is a steep climp up some stairs to reach the cafè. There is no public transport that can take you up there. The place is most known for the beautiful view.

Here is a link to their information, which is only in Swedish. But I think you can guess what "fotogalleri" means and find their pictures, the panorama pictures gives a good idea of the place.

http://www.fafangan.se/

It is possible to do the Vasa museum, inclding getting there and back, in about 2.5 hours? WE are scehduled to dock at Stadsgården

We have a waterways tour booked in the morning ending at 1pm, and would love to do the Vasa, but not sure if it is viable (ship sails at 5, so will need to be back by 4.30 and do not want to cut it tight), if it is what is the best way to get there and back?

Ultima Thule and north-bound ~ again THANK YOU for all your help! The views look fabulous - but another clif to climb - we may pass unless we have lots of time or take a cab! Even though we've been there before, I still wish we had more time in Stockholm!

How do I figure out the route to walk from Frihamnen to Vasa?

In harbour take first street to the left (Tullvaktsvägen).

At street corner take the street going to the right (still the same street name), past bus stop, past filling station, past rail road crossing exiting harbour area. (270 Yards)

Turn left onto Tegeluddsvägen (100 Yards)

Turn right onto Lindängsvägen. The road will go over an open field and then bend left ending up at a rotunda. (800 Yards)

Passing the rotunda continue in same direction (road renamed Oxenstiernsgatan) following it to the end. (650 Yards)

Turn right and follow Strandvägen in a left-right bend to the water and continue to the bridge. (400 yards)

Walk over the bridge (Djurgårdsbron) (150 Yards) and select first street to the right (Galärvarvsvägen) to the museum. (300 Yards)

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.336429,18.09783&spn=0.019129,0.081882&z=15

Thank you Ultima and Northbound. I appreciate all of your information. I just got back from a trip and was unable to read both of your replies until today. That makes perfect sense.

Susan/Travelsumama

Ok, Last question about Stockholm. Is the walk from Frihamnen to the Vasa museum area through a dangerous area. In other words do I have to be concerned with muggings, drive by shootings, drug deals at the corner type of activity?

thanks, Cassandra

Ok, Last question about Stockholm. Is the walk from Frihamnen to the Vasa museum area through a dangerous area. In other words do I have to be concerned with muggings, drive by shootings, drug deals at the corner type of activity? thanks, Cassandra

My impressions and information are that Stockholm, overall, is very safe. That route from Frihamnen to Vasa seemed fine. My only reaction is that part of the route is kind of boring and not that scenic/special. If you can get there faster, that would save valuable time to be better focused on the prettier areas and more interesting architecture/history, such as between the Vasa and the Royal Palace/old city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Hi we will be visiting Stockholm in July 2020. My husband wants to take the cruise ship excursion called " Stockholm Panarama" which will cost us $45 per person and it takes in Gamla Stan, along Strandvagen onto the Island of Djurgarden, Ostermalm then onto the island of Kungsholmen.

Is this trip worth the money or is it easy to do it on our own?

Thanks in advance.

I was reading in the DK Eyewitness guidebook for Stockholm. It says "Near Bastugatan an attractive promenade, Monteliusvagen, has been built along the rocks edge." I entered it in google maps and it could not find it. Can you tell me anything about it including how to instruct a taxi driver to take me there? We would like to get a picture taken higher than the water's edge on that side of Sodermalm. Thanks. Marlyne