Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I found a walking tour online in my research at Djurgården and was wondering if it is worth the time to take this walking tour. Or if our time would be spent taking a royal canal boat tour.

Thanks for any information!!!

I don't know what walking tour you found, but for us who live in Stockholm Djurgården is a nice area to take a walk to get away from the city. The island consists mainly of parkland and forrest, with buildings here and there. Most of the buildings are in the area near Djurgården Bridge. It is here you can visit the Vasa Museum and Skansen outdoor museum. The park areas are mainly lawns and trees, not a lot of flower beds or such.

For someone who is in Stockholm for just a one or a few days I would not recommend that walk, there is so much else that must be more interesting to do. But if you have got several days in Stockholm a Djurgården walk could definitely be a nice break away from the city.

I have read about a garden area with sculptures that is quite impressive; do you know the name/location of it?

Also, what is typical weather (high/low) for mid July? Thanks much

Could you perhaps mean Millesgården, former home to sculptor Carl Milles? Here is a link so that you can see what it is about. If your ship is docked at Frihamnen or Värtahamnen the place is not very far away. http://www.millesgarden.se/about-millesgarden.aspx

As for weather it varies a lot here. You can expect temperature to be somewhere between 55 and 90. The weather can be anything between cold windy and raining to warm and sunny, which can mean uncomfortably hot for city sightseeing (but of course wonderful if you are spending a day by the sea in Stockholm Archipelago).

So you will have to bring clothes that can be worn in layers. You should take something warm to wear if needed, and a light jacket that can stand some rain and wind. Hopefully you will need neither and have only nice weather.

Edited by north-bound

Wanting to go to the Absolute Ice Bar at the Nordic Hotel. Should we take a cab from the dock or city bus? And where exactly would the hotel be from the town centre

The hotel where the Ice Bar is löcated is within the city centre. Here is a link to a map where you can find where the Ice Bar is. You can also see the different places where most cruise ships dock.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.333452,18.07869&spn=0.050431,0.110893&t=h&z=13

Do you have a reservation at the Ice Bar? If not it may be difficult to get in. The Bar is often booked by ships tours.

Since I don't know what ship you will be on, or where that ship may dock, I can not tell you how to get there.

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Where does the Star Princess dock?

The name of the area or pier please.

Thank you.

Planning on spending 2 nights in Stockholm prior to boarding Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas in July 2011.

Can anyone recommend a hotel close to tourist sites? Where does the Vision of the Seas dock? Is it far from tourist sites?

Thanks in advance!

We will be in Stockholm in latter part of August.

We will be staying at the Grand Hotel and were wondering what would be two perfect days in Stockholm?

I have done research and am refining our self-made itinerary, however, specfic input would be invaluable!

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds...

We will be in Stockholm in latter part of August. We will be staying at the Grand Hotel and were wondering what would be two perfect days in Stockholm? I have done research and am refining our self-made itinerary, however, specfic input would be invaluable! Thank you in advance to anyone who responds...

Your hotel and its location are very handy to the key attractions around Stockholm. You might try their evening buffet at the Grand Hotel. It's very spectacular in its many food items and the views from their glassed dining area is wonderful in overlooking the harbor, doing people watching, etc. Despite the name, this hotel is not that "Grand" as you might see in Paris or London. Things in Sweden are a little more "low-key" in their lack of lavish flare.

The big three to see and do in Stockholm are the Vasa Museum, the historic old town area and next door, the changing for the guard/band at the Royal Palace. Doing a boat tour around the islands is very nice. Things are very compact and easy to walk from your location. Just walking around is fund and highly enjoyable. Below are some visual samples from our two days in Stockholm.

Here are two other key suggestions. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see items on Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc. SECOND, do a search on this board by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At the Vasa Museum with this large salvaged ship from the 1600’s:

1C-Stockh-V.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

There are many outside dining options in Gamla Stan or “old town” area.

StockhDineOutside.jpg

The architecture of buildings along Stockholm’s historic waterfront:

1A-Stockholm-WaterfrontBldgs.jpg

Ships and buildings seen on water tour around Stockholm's islands:

1A-StH-WatersideBldgShip.jpg

Nice flowers and historic buildings in Stockholm:

1A-Stockholm-Flowers-HistBldg.jpg

Can anyone give me info on this docking berth. Is there buses that service this port? How far from the city and closes touring sites. I will be on the Regatta on June 16th. Thank You Betty

4Molly

Värtahamnen is in a port area northeast of the inner city but not very far away. There is a bus number 76 that can take you to the Djurgårdsbron stop from where it is a close walk to the Vasa Museum. The bus ride takes 9 minutes. The same bus can also take you to Gamla Stan.

Here is a map where you can see the port as well as the main attractions. The red line in the map is the route for bus 76. http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.334503,18.089333&spn=0.05043,0.110893&t=h&z=13

If you decide to take the bus you will need a ticket before you enter, it can not be bought from the driver. I think there may be a info shop when you get off the ship, where tickets can be bought.

We will be in Stockholm for one day in July. Is VASA worth seeing? We were going to walk around town and maybe do a boat tour also. Thanks.

YES, would be my strong answer to your question! By most views, the Vasa Museum is one of the top three "must-sees" for Stockholm. To have a large wooden ship that goes back to the 1600's is very unique and unusual. There's lots of special history here, including its design, what caused it to sink, how it was built in that era before power tools and cranes, etc. The other two attractions that are highly rated would be the Royal Palace/Changing of the Guard and its next door neighbor in the Gamla Stan historic area with lots of shops, dining and great architecture. Below are some visual samples for these key highlights in Stockholm.

At the Vasa Museum with this large salvaged ship from the 1600’s:

VasaFront.jpg

VasaSideDetails.jpg

1A-Stockholm-VasaShipBack.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

9-StockholmMil.jpg

There are many outside dining options in Gamla Stan or “old town” area.

1A-Stockholm-OldCityHeart.jpg

In Stockholm’s historic old town, a church tower:

1A-Stockholm-OldCityTower.jpg

I am booked on cruise tour which includes walking tour in Stockholm and a bus ride and walking tour in Stiguna.

Does anyone have any information about Stiguna. I have read and have some information about this place, but would like to hear some opinions / reviews of that town.

I am afraid that I will miss the experience if I leave it to go to another town and not stay in Stockholm for the whole day. So just want to make sure that the trade off (going to to Stiguna) is worth it.

Is there public transportation that I could catch from Stockholm to Stiguna?

I am booked on cruise tour which includes walking tour in Stockholm and a bus ride and walking tour in Stiguna.

Does anyone have any information about Stiguna. I have read and have some information about this place, but would like to hear some opinions / reviews of that town.

I am afraid that I will miss the experience if I leave it to go to another town and not stay in Stockholm for the whole day. So just want to make sure that the trade off (going to to Stiguna) is worth it.

Is there public transportation that I could catch from Stockholm to Stiguna?

Sigtuna is a charming small town. It was one of the first cities in Sweden, but today it has only 7.000 inhabitants.

If I had only one day in Stockholm I don't think I would spend it to travel to Sigtuna even if it is a nice place. There is so much to see and do in Stockholm that is in my mind much more interesting. And Stockholm is also a beautiful city.

However, it is possible to travel to Sigtuna by public transport. You should take a train from Stockholm Central Station to Märsta, where you change to a bus to Sigtuna. It could take 1 hour and 10 minutes to go there.

Is the royal canal boat tour worth going on? It leaves from the Palace in Galma Stan.

We did the tour boat from near the Royal Palace to around the islands there in Stockholm. It was nice, interesting and relaxing, especially if your weather is decent. Below are a couple of pictures for what you will see and experience. Depending on your time and interests, it is worth considering as a good option.

The architecture of buildings along Stockholm’s historic waterfront:

1A-Stockholm-WaterfrontBldgs.jpg

Ships and buildings seen on water tour around Stockholm's islands:

1A-StH-WatersideBldgShip.jpg

Can I buy the 24 hour/1 Day Travelcard at Frihamnen or online ?

Thx

There is a small info shop on the quay at Frihamnen where you should be able to buy the 24 hour travel card. It can not be bought online.

Edited by north-bound