Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Thanks, Ultima and Al. Yep, 18 travel cards unless I can figure out another way. I would imagine that kiosk would have more than that with the ship in port. (I hope.) Any suggestions for lunch in Gamla Stan?

Well, it's starting to get a little closer so I've started trying to nail down the plans. Original plan for Stockholm was Vasa and Gamla Stan. On further reflection, I've decided that we really enjoy walking and seeing the town more than a museum. So I think we're going for Gamla Stan and maybe a sightseeing boat and if time permits, a tour of City Hall, which I believe is near where you take the sightseeing boats.

We're arriving on the Star at Stadsgarden. From earlier posts I gather I can walk to Gamla Stan from the pier, but what about the return? Is the pier walkable from City Hall? If not, is the metro the best choice for public transportation?

From earlier posts I gather I can walk to Gamla Stan from the pier, but what about the return? Is the pier walkable from City Hall? If not, is the metro the best choice for public transportation?

Its possible to walk without problems over Vasabron bridge or over Helgeandsholmen island. Metro is too troublesome in this case but bus #3 would take you from the City Hall back at least to Slussen.

Question to people with knowledge of Södermalm. Is it worth taking bus #3 all the way to Tjärhovsplan and then try to find the way down the 100 feet cliff to the Stadsgården quay?

Thanks, Ultima. We're good walkers and I figure that's how you get to really see a city so maybe we'll opt for that. How long a walk (at a moderate pace) do you think it is? About an hour? It's hard to judge from the map.

Also, in looking at boat tours, there seem to be a few...'under the bridges', 'hostorical'. Any particular one you might recommend?

Its possible to walk without problems over

Question to people with knowledge of Södermalm. Is it worth taking bus #3 all the way to Tjärhovsplan and then try to find the way down the 100 feet cliff to the Stadsgården quay?

I can definitely recommend the walk from the bus stop at Tjärhovsplan down to the ship at Stadsgården.

From the bus stop cross the street and walk a few steps back towards the sea. There is a small staircase up to Fjällgatan, one of the most charming streets we have in Stockholm. On one side there are very nice old houses and on the other a great view over Stockholm. At the end of Fjällgatan turn right down Erstagatan to Folkungagatan, where you turn left. This street will take you down towards the ship.

Here is a map of the recommended walk down: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000486f302393ee8c6554&t=h&z=15

north-bound:

Thank you so much for the information. I'm on the Star Princess June 2010. That was exactly the info I needed. Could you also tell me how you put the blue line on the Google Map? This would be a great tool for me to know for other uses.

Thanks again.

north-bound:

I have another question about the walk from the pier dock to the blue bus stop 3. Why do you turn right on Erstgatan off of Folkungagatan instead of continuing on Folk.... to Renstiemas Gata? Then to Bus 3 stop at Tjarhovsplan.

Thank you.

... there is a small kiosk inside the security area at 167 and I believe they sell the 24 hour travel cards (can anyone confirm this for the group?)

Has anyone been able to confirm whether either the 24 Hour Stockholm Card, or the lesser Stockholm 24 Transportation Only Card can be purchased at the pier [sTADSGÅRDEN S167]?

I can definitely recommend the walk from the bus stop at Tjärhovsplan down to the ship at Stadsgården.

From the bus stop cross the street and walk a few steps back towards the sea. There is a small staircase up to Fjällgatan, one of the most charming streets we have in Stockholm. On one side there are very nice old houses and on the other a great view over Stockholm. At the end of Fjällgatan turn right down Erstagatan to Folkungagatan, where you turn left. This street will take you down towards the ship.

Here is a map of the recommended walk down: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000486f302393ee8c6554&t=h&z=15

North-Bound,

What a great idea!!! Fantastic way to see a slice of Södermalm that not many cruisers get to see.

One could also do that stretch in reverse, leaving ship at 167 heading up Folkungatan to Erstagatan. If I were planning a walking day I think I would do it this way while I am still "fresh" in the morning.

However, if they taking the bus up there then it is a nice easy walk down the hill to the ship.

Al

I have another question about the walk from the pier dock to the blue bus stop 3. Why do you turn right on Erstgatan off of Folkungagatan instead of continuing on Folk.... to Renstiemas Gata? Then to Bus 3 stop at Tjarhovsplan.

Thank you.

north-bound in a way already answered that by saying:

There is a small staircase up to Fjällgatan, one of the most charming streets we have in Stockholm. On one side there are very nice old houses and on the other a great view over Stockholm.

Folkungagatan is just another (boring) street but north-bound wants you to see how 19-century Stockholm looked like.

view;

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000486f302393ee8c6554&t=h&ll=59.316462,18.093302&spn=0,0.041113&z=16&layer=c&cbll=59.317191,18.088878&panoid=OhAkXksBF-tLMW2An-S7VQ&cbp=12,355.69,,0,6.57

houses:

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000486f302393ee8c6554&t=h&ll=59.317316,18.08635&spn=0,0.041113&z=16&layer=c&cbll=59.317301,18.086605&panoid=j1ipy_CdOvdaW48rh_bmjQ&cbp=12,261.33,,0,-2.7

Thanks, Ultima. We're good walkers and I figure that's how you get to really see a city so maybe we'll opt for that. How long a walk (at a moderate pace) do you think it is? About an hour? It's hard to judge from the map.

0.85 miles from city hall to Slussen, 2 miles in total to the ship.

Edited by Ultima Thule

north-bound:

Thank you so much for the information. I'm on the Star Princess June 2010. That was exactly the info I needed. Could you also tell me how you put the blue line on the Google Map? This would be a great tool for me to know for other uses.

Thanks again.

You have to be logged in and then you can design your own maps with adding lines and other information. The information how to do it will be there once you start "design a new map".

north-bound:

Thank you.

Ultima Thule has already answered your question. The reason not to take Folkungagatan, which of course would be slightly shorter, is that I sincerely recommend seeing Fjällgatan, a wellknown sight in Stockholm. Interesting old houses and a splendid view over the city. To anyone being in that area, don't miss Fjällgatan!

Want to reserve as much time as possible for walking around Stockholm-Gamla Stan and parks. How long is the walk from the pier S167 to Gamla Stad, is it fairly flat (not taking the route you mention above)? Can one just walk along the Stadsgarden dock area? Is there any public transportation from the piers S160/165/167 to Gamla Stan?

Thanks for all the great information you've given.

Hi

We are visiting Stockholm on June 15 arriving at 8:00am and departing at 5:00pm (back on board by 4:00pm). We would like to visit the the Vasa Museum as well as spend time walking around Gamla Stan (this is the priorty). Our ship is berthing at Stadsgarden 167. First of all, do we have enough time to spend an adequate amount of time in both these locations? Secondly, we've looked at using the HOHO boat to reach these 2 locations, is this the best option, or is there something quicker that would get us between the pier, the two locations and back to the pier again.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to our visit.

Kim

Super! An experienced Stockholm visitor that is back to see the real deal - congrats. Fjällgatan and Mariaberget and those areas of Södermalm are well worth a visit. Since you have been here before and seen all the "must sees" you can see Skansen too. I don't usually recommend Skansen to cruisers just becuase of the limited time they have, but if you have not been there and the weather is nice I would go, but take your time.

Have a great time

Al

I have not done a quote before, so I hope this turns out OK. Would it be best to take a cab to Fjallgatan and Mariaberget? If not, please suggest a route. I don't want to use all my footpower getting to the destination. Thanks. Marlyne

One further clarification. I want to see La Mano on Katarinavagen. Does Bus 3 from City Hall travel along Katarinavagen to get to Tjarhorsplan?

If so, what stop do I get off to see La Mano.

Then I plan to walk to Fjallgatan and follow the route you mentioned above(Erstagatan/Folkungagatan) to pier 167.

Originally I was going to take metro to Slussen from city hall and then walk Katarinavagen to La Mano, but from the post I see that the bus is better than the metro. I just wanted to make sure that Bus 3 would get me there.

I do want to see the Art in the Metro that has been publicized. Which station do you think would be the best to get a taste of the Art in the Metro?

Thanks. We are leaving for the cruise in a few days- Can hardly believe the time is so near!

Edited by floridafolks

One further clarification. I want to see La Mano on Katarinavagen. Does Bus 3 from City Hall travel along Katarinavagen to get to Tjarhorsplan?

Originally I was going to take metro to Slussen from city hall and then walk Katarinavagen to La Mano, but from the post I see that the bus is better than the metro. I just wanted to make sure that Bus 3 would get me there.

I do want to see the Art in the Metro that has been publicized. Which station do you think would be the best to get a taste of the Art in the Metro?

Bus 3 list of stops gives following:

Stadshuset

Tegelbacken

Riddarhustorget

Mälartorget

Slussen

Tjärhovsplan

Åsögatan

etc.

I think thats the complete list of stops but I'm not 100% sure.

A look at Google earth shows a bus stop named "Glasbruksgatan" quite near La Mano but it looks like bus #3 doesnt stop there.

Ironically Google maps Street View shows bus #3 pass the stop on its return trip but zooming in shows that the numbers at the stop have automatically been viped out by Google.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&q=lokaltrafik&ie=UTF8&radius=0.09&sll=59.318514,18.077998&sspn=0.001162,0.004026&split=1&rq=1&ev=zo&hq=lokaltrafik&hnear=&ll=59.31874,18.07723&spn=0,0.004026&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=59.318717,18.077465&panoid=fSoePDL0LNS7kAL2PGqgGg&cbp=12,77.39,,0,9.38

The reason for not recommending the subway was that you have to walk 400m west from City hall to entrance of station Rådhuset corner Hantverkargatan/Parmmätargatan, then another 200m to ticket hall, ride one stop with blue line to T-centralen. Find the 150m way through the tunnels to the red or green line and continuete with them to Slussen.

But if you plan to investigate the subway art anyway, it might be an option. The blue line has the superior art as has the new part of the red line (Stadion- Universitetet/Tekniska Högskolan). The combination Rådhuset-T Centralen - Kungsträdgården on the blue line might be an interesting option near the town center for you to check out.

T-Centralen blue line:

http://beta.stockholmtown.com/ContentStoreFiles/Entity/1158/sl_konst_450x300.jpg

Kungsträdgården:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/285804591_2a2cf6b951.jpg

Rådhuset:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Stockholm_subway_radhuset_20050808_002.jpg

Edited by Ultima Thule

You have to be logged in and then you can design your own maps with adding lines and other information. The information how to do it will be there once you start "design a new map".

I have logged into Google Maps, but I don't see anything that says "design your own maps." Can you give any more help? Thanks. Marlyne

Then I plan to walk to Fjallgatan and follow the route you mentioned above(Erstagatan/Folkungagatan) to pier 167.

Thanks. We are leaving for the cruise in a few days- Can hardly believe the time is so near!

Bus 3 does come up Katarinavägen and you should get off at Tjärhovsplan and walk back down Katarinavägen. Bus 3 used to have a stop named Glasbruksgatan very close to La Mano, but it has not stopped there lately.

And Ultime Thule has already said that the best Metro line to see the art is the blue line.

I have logged into Google Maps, but I don't see anything that says "design your own maps." Can you give any more help? Thanks. Marlyne

After logging in I go to "My maps". It is there I can design a new map. I can't remember what I did the first time I wanted to create a map.

Bus 3 does come up Katarinavägen and you should get off at Tjärhovsplan and walk back down Katarinavägen. Bus 3 used to have a stop named Glasbruksgatan very close to La Mano, but it has not stopped there lately.

And Ultime Thule has already said that the best Metro line to see the art is the blue line.

Thanks Ultima Thule and north-bound. I will take the advice and use Bus 3 to Tjarhovsplan and walk back down Katarinavagen to see La Mano before proceeding to the "scenic" path back to the ship. It doesn't look like to long a walk back. I will use the blue line to check out the Art in the Metro.

I am planning on getting the 24 hr transport pass at the pier kiosk, using it as well to take the Djursgarden ferry to Vasa. I know the question has been asked to have someone actually verify that the pass can be purchased at the kiosk. I do not think anyone has posted that verification yet.

Edited by floridafolks