Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I'm from Finland myself but I have visited Stockholm many many times, often under similar time restrictions, and I have done similar to what you plan to do several times so your plans are not crazy at all if you just make up a simple time schedule for yourself and then keep an eye on the clock. I don't know how many you mean with "we" but the fewer you are, the easier it is to do it. Of course you have realize you cannot see every item exhibited on Vasa, not every house at Skansen nor investigate every alley at Gamla Stan but I would say you would be able to get quite a good feeling for all three places if you just are prepared to do a few shortcuts here and there.

For example: People on this group highly recommends the Vasa film and admittingly it is fashinating and puts you in correct mood to see the ship but watching a movie when you are under restricted time might be a bit frustrating. Watch this similar one on You Tube now instead, and save yourself 20 minutes on the museum:

I also want to add that I have visited the Vasa museum some ten times but I have never had any problems with any queues. Maybe I have just been lucky.

WONDERFUL video...can't thank you enough!:) Edited by cadburysmom

I was reading in the DK Eyewitness guidebook for Stockholm. It says "Near Bastugatan an attractive promenade, Monteliusvagen, has been built along the rocks edge." I entered it in google maps and it could not find it. Can you tell me anything about it including how to instruct a taxi driver to take me there? We would like to get a picture taken higher than the water's edge on that side of Sodermalm. Thanks. Marlyne

Its not included on the Google map but if you turn to Google Satellite Picture Mode you can see it is there all right between Bastugatan and Torgil Knutssonsgatan, going in an inverted "U" all the way from Kattgränd to Skolgränd.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.320314,18.060601&spn=0.002324,0.008202&t=h&z=18

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteliusv%C3%A4gen

Edited by Ultima Thule

We are scheduled to dock at 8 AM, but the Vasa doesn't open until a later in the morning. I wanted to get there for the 11 AM movie and 11:30 AM tour, but I'm afraid we'll miss the changing of the guard. Is it worth missing the changing of the guard for the tour? Also, any recommendations as to what we can do before the Vasa opens? I originally just planned on taking a cab there, but now I'm not sure if we should head elsewhere first.

Hello.

Stockholm Card is not valid at hop on hop off buses and boats.

If you are planing to see a lot of mueums and going with buses and underground, then Stockholmscard is a good choice.

If you just planning to walk around and want to see the town from the water, then a hop on hop boat service is a good choice.

I did not know that there is a Hop On Hop Off boat...is this the best way...and most fun...to see Stockholm with one day in port?

Once we dock, what is the best way to get to see the major sites including the Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan, etc? ...

public transportation (bus, train?)or must we take a cab? We are four people.

Where does the Ferry go?

Thank you.

My condolences for having to tender in Nynashamn.

Gamla Stan is walking distance from the Central Station. The commuter trains do not stop at Gamla Stan.

I will offer an alternative to getting off at the Central Station, which is quite busy and can be confusing due to the number of exits/entrances.

Coming from Nynashamn there are only two stops for those wanting to visit Stockholm, they are Stockholm Södra and Stockholm C. If you want to make things a bit simpler, I suggest getting off at Stockholm Södra.

When you get off the train at Södra look to the center of the platfrom and follow the sign to "Swedenborgsgatan". Take the escalator up and continue through the little mini-mall until you exit the station. Cross the street and to your left you will see a bus stop. You can take bus 55 or bus 43 right to the Djurgården ferry, the HOHO boats also stop there, as do the HOHO buses. You are also right across the street from the Old Town. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the bus stop in front of the ferry (perhaps North-Bound knows), but it is the stop right after Slussen.

Using this alternative, you not only beat the crowds and confusion of the central station but you get to see a tiny slice of Södermalm. It's the island that I live on and not on the usual tourist maps.

Good luck and have a great time in Stockholm.

Al

Could someone tell me the approximate cost of a taxi from Frihamen to the Vasa? We thought we'd get the boat then to Gamla Stan. I was willing to take the ship's excursion that ends at noon, but they won't let us stay in town to explore.

Please scroll down to see my question.

thank you

Edited by nodan
repetitive ...I asked the same question more than once

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

We will dock at Berth 638, Frihamnen. We wish to see as many major sites as possible but we only have the one day. We know we want to see the Vasa Museum and whatever else you can suggest.

What is the best way to get to the sites once we leave the ship?

What is the Hop On Hop Off ferry ? Where will it take us?

Thank you so very much!

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Hello

We will be on the Eclipse which arrives at Berth S167 Stadsgarden on 17th June,arriving at 08.00 departing at 16.00 althoght we would need to be back on board by 15.00.

We would like to take a leisurely walk around the Gamla Stan and visit the Storkyrkan.I particularly like views so would like to go up the tower if possible.

Is the open top bus (assuming the weather was OK) a good way of seeing other parts of Stockholm and do they run at frequent intervals?

From the map it looks as though Gamla Stan is around a 20 minute walk.Is a bus which we could take from the quay?

Thank you for your advice.

Charles

Wow what a load of fantastic information! Thank you Al I have learnt so much over the last 21 pages. :)

We are planning on booking a cab with Taxi Stockholm to take us from Frihamnen to the Central Station where I believe we can find lockers to store our luggage. Does anyone know how much these cost and do you need the exact money or can we use a card?

We then planned on walking into the Old Town what route would anyone suggest? I presume we can walk? We only have 5 hours max before we have to catch the Arlanda Express to the airport (is it easy to find the right train platform at the station?).

Given we are walking round the old town what would anyone recommend as 'must sees' beautiful streets/buildings/views as well as muesum suggestions would be great.

We were wondering if there was a senic short boat trip we could take?

We will be there on a Sunday if that makes any difference to any suggestions.

Thanks!!! :D

We are scheduled to dock at 8 AM, but the Vasa doesn't open until a later in the morning. I wanted to get there for the 11 AM movie and 11:30 AM tour, but I'm afraid we'll miss the changing of the guard. Is it worth missing the changing of the guard for the tour? Also, any recommendations as to what we can do before the Vasa opens? I originally just planned on taking a cab there, but now I'm not sure if we should head elsewhere first.

Personally, I think the mid-day changing of the guard is very much worth it. They had a large band playing, plus the marching soldiers, unique uniforms in a nice, historic setting, etc. Loved it!!! The Vasa is very much worth it, plus the old town area. Those are the right, top three priorities for most people in Stockholm, plus just walking around, seeing the waterfront and great architecture, etc. Here are some pictures from the guard changing/band, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

9-StockholmMil.jpg

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace and its next-door historic Storkyrkan church:

9-StockholmPalChurch.jpg

There are many outside dining options in Gamla Stan or “old town” area.

StockhDineOutside.jpg

I understand there is a ferry that goes from Slussen to Skeppsholmen. It had one other stop. Could you point me to a website with schedule. I had been interested in the HOHO, but it doesn't pick up very early. I'd like to be on it between 830 and 9. If not we will do our Sodermalm tour first. Thanks. Marlyne

For the walk along the montliusvagen promenade, where are the places to go down to Soder Malarstrand? Can I get onto it by going from the intersection of Bastugatan and Timmermansgatan? Does Timmermansgatan run right into it? Thanks. Marlyne

Hello

We will be on the Eclipse which arrives at Berth S167 Stadsgarden on 17th June,arriving at 08.00 departing at 16.00 althoght we would need to be back on board by 15.00.

We would like to take a leisurely walk around the Gamla Stan and visit the Storkyrkan.I particularly like views so would like to go up the tower if possible.

Is the open top bus (assuming the weather was OK) a good way of seeing other parts of Stockholm and do they run at frequent intervals?

From the map it looks as though Gamla Stan is around a 20 minute walk.Is a bus which we could take from the quay?

Thank you for your advice.

Charles

You will be in Stockholm on June 17 and that may cause a bit of a problem. On June 19 the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria will take place in Storkyrkan. I very much doubt that you will be able to visit the chuch. And there may be other security arrangements around Gamla Stan. I am not familiar with the exact program but it is likely that there will be a lot of security around Storkyrkan and the Royal Palace just two days before the wedding.

It is correct that Stadsgården dock is a 20-30 minutes walk from Slussen, at the south end of Gamla Stan. There are several buses that pass near the dock that would take you to Slussen. In fact I think they all go there, but to be sure ask the driver.

If you want a view the tower at the Town Hall is an alternative. Or at Slussen take the Katarinahissen lift up to Södermalm. It will give you a nice view.

Edited by north-bound

I understand there is a ferry that goes from Slussen to Skeppsholmen. It had one other stop. Could you point me to a website with schedule. I had been interested in the HOHO, but it doesn't pick up very early. I'd like to be on it between 830 and 9. If not we will do our Sodermalm tour first. Thanks. Marlyne

In Swedish only:

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/webroot/PDF/Djurg%C3%A5rdsf%C3%A4rjan_Sommar_2010j.pdf

Translations can be done with:

http://translate.google.com/#

For the walk along the montliusvagen promenade, where are the places to go down to Soder Malarstrand? Can I get onto it by going from the intersection of Bastugatan and Timmermansgatan? Does Timmermansgatan run right into it? Thanks. Marlyne

No, its a steep. Looks like this seen from Söder Mälarstrand with Monteliusvagen on the top of the cliff.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.32111,18.061062&spn=0,0.020556&z=17&layer=c&cbll=59.321168,18.059557&panoid=o0goEcKiQhODECBNrFB2CQ&cbp=12,144.73,,0,-9.71

Edited by Ultima Thule

You will be in Stockholm on June 17 and that may cause a bit of a problem. On June 19 the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria will take place in Storkyrkan. I very much doubt that you will be able to visit the chuch. And there may be other security arrangements around Gamla Stan. I am not familiar with the exact program but it is likely that there will be a lot of security around Storkyrkan and the Royal Palace just two days before the wedding.

It is correct that Stadsgården dock is a 20-30 minutes walk from Slussen, at the south end of Gamla Stan. There are several buses that pass near the dock that would take you to Slussen. In fact I think they all go there, but to be sure ask the driver.

If you want a view the tower at the Town Hall is an alternative. Or at Slussen take the Katarinahissen lift up to Södermalm. It will give you a nice view.

Many thanks for your info.I had not taken into consideration the Royal Wedding.

I have checked the City Hall web site and they will be open.What would be the best way to get there from Gamla Stan?From the map it looks an easy walk.

Charles

Many thanks for your info.I had not taken into consideration the Royal Wedding.

I have checked the City Hall web site and they will be open.What would be the best way to get there from Gamla Stan?From the map it looks an easy walk.

Charles

It is a short and easy walk. This is the way I would take: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=59.326469,18.059807&spn=0.01261,0.027809&t=h&z=15&msid=100446628536787947860.0004880a03ea7cbc1af83

Start through the Parliament Building and then turn left and continue along the quay. Where my line disappears there are tunnels under the bridges.