Athens to Istanbul

I have some friends who are considering a cruise the end of October from Athens to Istanbul. They have heard that the weather is not so great that time of year in the Med. To those of you have have traveled during that time -- what can they expect in the way of weather? Calm seas or rough seas? Rain or sunshine?

We cruised from Rome to Istanbul in mid-November 2006 and had excellent weather. As Mike said, calm seas, blue skies, weather pleasant for touring but not warm enough for the beach.

October is supposed to be better than November, so I think you will be fine. HOWEVER, no one can guarantee the weather.

From mid to late October last year, temps were very comfortable for sightseeing (low 70's in Athens, and just a bit cooler in Istanbul), but lots of sunshine everywhere. Swimming at OluDeniz in Turkey (Fethiye port) was even nice then. Calm seas as well on our cruise.

I have some friends who are considering a cruise the end of October from Athens to Istanbul. They have heard that the weather is not so great that time of year in the Med. To those of you have have traveled during that time -- what can they expect in the way of weather? Calm seas or rough seas? Rain or sunshine?

Are you the friends ?/? Weather at that time of year cannot be consistant. Times are changing :o

Weather at that time of year cannot be consistant.

It's interesting though that whenever anyone asks about weather in the fall in the Med, you rarely see a post from someone who says that they had miserable weather on their cruise at that time of year. Perhaps they don't want to admit to having lousy weather, or could it be that more often than not, the weather really is nice at that time of year?

We have gone the last two autumns--left Barcelona October 21st, and then November 1. We had a light sprinkling of rain several days on both cruises, but nothing to hamper our enjoyment. The rest of the time was fabulous. But I kow the cruise after ours last Nov., which departed November 15th, had quite a lot of 'weather'. I had considered that cruise but was very glad I had decided on the earlier one. The prices are significantly cheaper the later in the year you go.

Cathy

Most weather websites would say that you have much greater odds of better weather in October than in November. I have travelled extensively in Europe in both months and love October weather, but I never have cruised in either month.

Also, some islands are pretty shut down by November, but to many travelers, that is a positive and not a negative.

• 2 weeks later...

Same experience as others. Sailed Eastern Med in October 2007. Ports included Athens and Istanbul and several others (even Odessa and Yalta in Black Sea). Weather just fine each day.

And, yes, Istanbul is better than one can ever describe. I loved it so much I went back six months later as part of an 3 night add on to a study tour following in the footsteps of the Apostle Paul.

Archived