United Breaks Guitars airline video

Mildred

I have seen the way luggage handlers handle bags and they dont care what you have packed in it. Many airports are using automated systems to sort luggage which are designed to move bags quickly and they have arms that 'smack' the bag to move it from belt to belt. This is just another reason to always pack fragile or expensive items in carry-ons. Or ship it UPS before your trip.

I have seen the way luggage handlers handle bags and they dont care what you have packed in it. Many airports are using automated systems to sort luggage which are designed to move bags quickly and they have arms that 'smack' the bag to move it from belt to belt. This is just another reason to always pack fragile or expensive items in carry-ons. Or ship it UPS before your trip.

With all due respect, what do you think happens at UPS? An interesting look at both FedEx's Memphis SuperHub http://news.van.fedex.com/node/3710 and UPS's Worldport in Louisville http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9974653-52.html. I don't see much white glove treatment there either. :-)

Scott.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/United-Breaks-Guitars-a-Smash-Hit-on-YouTube.html?yhp=1

the rest of the story. They are going to pay for the repair and use the tape for training!

Guessing that in so doing, United will gain exclusive rights to the video. Meaning: United wants to get it off the internet completely ... and has absolutely no intention of using it for training. They just want it out of the public venue. Bad PR, don't ya know?

In some small, minor defense....Many instrument cases are NOT meant for air travel or shipping. If I was shipping a $3500 guitar, it would be in a hard sided travel case, and well padded. Those cases in the video seem pretty flimsy. But that doesn't absolve UA. (nor does it really show what case the guitar was in). But it is cute and should be a lesson to ALL customer service people on the power of the Internet and how it can bite a company in the butt.

Simple rule. Keep

in mind when you pack, and when you send anything down the belt at an airport.

This is just another reason to always pack fragile or expensive items in carry-ons. Or ship it UPS before your trip.

This is what I suggested elsewhere on the web (My brother often travels with his rather pricey guitars and always takes them carry-on) but as someone pointed out if you are onboard a smaller regional jet where larger items (like guitars) wouldn't fit in overhead locker or under a seat you're leaving it planeside and at the mercy of the baggage handlers again.

I have taken a large, rather delicate item carry-on aboard a regional jet (ERJ-145) and specifically chose seat 1A as it is just across from where the closet is situated and the FA was kind enough to let me place the item in there.

United are not paying for the repairs . The repairs have already been done . This gentleman is from My area. he is a professtioal Musican and the guitars they were throwing around belonged to the band on the flight .His guitar was the only one damaged . After 1 year of contacting united with no result he composed the song and video . in todays paper united is donating money to a charity of his choice but it shows how little united cares for the customer

IMHO United is no different than any other airline. I can name 3 others where I have had damage done to luggage, one being hardsided. And cruiselines are even worse. Have you ever seen the way they stack your luggage? :)

I have a question that some of you who fly more often might be able to answer. It's only a question - it isn't a comment about who should have done what or anything like that. I'm wondering if airlines allow you to buy an extra seat for something like a guitar. Anybody know about that? I don't have a $1,000+ guitar, and I'm never likely to have one since I can't play the guitar at all. But things like this make me wonder.

I'm wondering if airlines allow you to buy an extra seat for something like a guitar. Anybody know about that? Things like this make me wonder.

Yes, I regularly see OSM cellists purchasing a seat for their cello, flying in and out of Montréal. The one guy I am thinking of plays in the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and commutes to Montréal to take his seat with the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal. One of his cellos was a Stradivari, on loan to him through the Canada Council for the Arts. They are VERY specific about how that instrument is handled. Incidentally, the cello's market value was placed at $4M USD (http://www.canadacouncil.ca/news/releases/2000/hq127242030670156250.htm). Consequently it travelled in its own seat. http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/music_inst.html

Scott.

I have a question that some of you who fly more often might be able to answer. It's only a question - it isn't a comment about who should have done what or anything like that. I'm wondering if airlines allow you to buy an extra seat for something like a guitar. Anybody know about that? I don't have a $1,000+ guitar, and I'm never likely to have one since I can't play the guitar at all. But things like this make me wonder.

I watched Chuck Berry, and his guitar, board an UA flight at SEA once. Apparently they each had their own seat (in F).

UA is no different than any other airline, or any shipping company. Some of the most trashed packages I have ever received have been from UPS.

Only a fool would check a musical instrument of any value on any airline.

• 1 month later...

6rugrats- I used to work for a company where a product was rather fragile. It contained glass parts and a good drop would break it. Our standard shipper was UPS and customers started receiving broken units. UPS told us they would no longer insure our shipments unless the boxed product could survive a 24 inch drop onto concrete without damage. Our packaging supplier worked out a purpose-built carton and we passed the UPS tests. Everything was fine for a few years, then breakage started happening again. Another call to UPS- they had increased their standard to a 36 inch drop!

We contacted FedEx and asked about their drop standard. They said "Our standard is we don't drop packages". The next morning everything started going FedEx and the problem never returned.

6rugrats- I used to work for a company where a product was rather fragile. It contained glass parts and a good drop would break it. Our standard shipper was UPS and customers started receiving broken units. UPS told us they would no longer insure our shipments unless the boxed product could survive a 24 inch drop onto concrete without damage. Our packaging supplier worked out a purpose-built carton and we passed the UPS tests. Everything was fine for a few years, then breakage started happening again. Another call to UPS- they had increased their standard to a 36 inch drop!

We contacted FedEx and asked about their drop standard. They said "Our standard is we don't drop packages". The next morning everything started going FedEx and the problem never returned.

I'm in total agreement with this. Love FedEx, hate UPS.

I have my own policy. (no disrespect intended to any one) I never pack anything I can't lose or fear will be broken! I have always felt that no one will look out for anything I own but myself so anything that I can't lose or will be broken is in my carryon. If it doesn't fit and I am afraid to loose it or it will be broken it stays home!

Once we were FORCED to check our very new and expensive Camcorder. Thats when they first came outand I paid $1000.00 for one for my husband. It was his pride and joy. When we entered the plane the stewardess told us it had to be checked. Dh was not a happy camper. Well when we arrived in SAn Juan we stood outside the entance of the plane until they located it and brought it to us. That was the last time it came with us on a plane ride.

By the way I thought the video was very funny!

Archived