New tsa airline ticket name regs

Fisherlady48

In conjunction with the Secure Flight initiative, TSA is requiring airlines to provide all air travelers full names to the TSA for review against No Fly Lists. On August 15, 2009, airlines/travelers will be required to provide full name plus date of birth, and gender.

Check your passport information, and also check your drivers license. IDs must match. ie Ladies who take their maiden names as their middle when they marry might have to have their ids changed or air tickets changed to match. My guess is this is also going to apply to cruise tickets.

K

In conjunction with the Secure Flight initiative, TSA is requiring airlines to provide all air travelers full names to the TSA for review against No Fly Lists. On August 15, 2009, airlines/travelers will be required to provide full name plus date of birth, and gender.

Check your passport information, and also check your drivers license. IDs must match. ie Ladies who take their maiden names as their middle when they marry might have to have their ids changed or air tickets changed to match. My guess is this is also going to apply to cruise tickets.

From a TSA press release:

In the near future, small differences between the passenger's ID and the passenger's reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, will not be an issue for passengers. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their government issued ID and the travel information they use for booking flights.

Further info on Secure Flight HERE.

And a Q&A from the TSA Blog can be found HERE.

If I had an id, that could be changed to show my whole name and I am flying after the 15th of August I would take care of this before I fly.

Every TSA segment operates differently out of every airport I have ever flown into or out of. The latest example of this would be whether or not to put your shoes in the bin or out of the bin. In the same day I had 2 different experiences in two different airports. And, at my home airport it is not a TSA employee who does the initial check of your id and boarding pass it is a contractor. And in some cases depending on whether or not you are flying international or domestic, you will have to have your boarding pass reprinted to match your id.

I am just trying to save folks a headache before they travel.

K

:)

Are these for flights to/from the USA only?

As I understand it your official i.d. (passport) must match your ticket name...is that correct?

What am I missing?

Lyn

If you actually go to the TSA website links, you can get the real, official "scoop", rather than the rehashed news reports, or even the opinion of CC posters.

Airlines will be required to begin collecting the birthdate info for all passengers on August 15. Not that they have to provide it for all passengers to the TSA starting that date. Subtle but significant difference.

Yes, read the details of what FlyerTalker provided. It does not say all airlines.

We have booked several flights recently. There is no room for items such as middle names to match our passports.

My wife has two first names. I can't tell you what agony it is even to get that reflected correctly when we order tickets on most airlines.

Keith

Archived