Show Me Seattle

mochuck

Has anyone toured with this company? We only have 2 full days in Seattle and were going to do the combined Boeing factory and Show Me Seattle tour for $85 on the first day. The next day we just though we might wander around and maybe go back to something that caught our interest on the tour but we also want to do some shopping.

This might seem a strange place to be posting this but I posted it on the West Coast USA board with no answers. I figured that the locals don't go on tours just like we don't here. So i thought some of my fellow Aussies might've had some experience.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Can't help you with Seattle, but your plan of "attack" sounds very wise.

Whenever we visit a new destination, for us, we take a "city highlights" tour and this gives you your bearings. The other good thing about doing something like this is that the tour guide will probably give you tips on the things to see , do ,and go to ,on your own in the following days.

I have heard the Boeing Tour is great, and if I ever get to Seattle that would be on my must do list.

This might seem a strange place to be posting this but I posted it on the West Coast USA board with no answers. I figured that the locals don't go on tours just like we don't here. So i thought some of my fellow Aussies might've had some experience.

Maureen

Hello Maureen,

We did a tour of the Boeing aircraft factory some 20 years ago, so our experience may not be relevant now, but at that time we found it very interesting and well worth the time taken to go. To see those giant aircraft being dwarfed by the size of the building in which they were assembled was quite an experience.

I'm surprised the locals haven't responded as they do love their town and are proud of what it has to offer. We've been there about 6 times. We love walking around Pike's Market to see the flower market, fish vendors, craft vendors and food shops. If your ship is docked in the downtown area it should be somewhat close by. As Seattle is a coffee town, try one of the local coffee spots - or Starbucks if you desire as the original is near the market.

Our favorite thing to do is to take the tram to the space needle to see Experience Music Project. This is a Frank Gehry building so it is unique in its architecture. If you are a musician or lover of rock & roll you will find it facinating. It features guitars from the early years to today. With the ipod tour you get to hear how they sound as played by great studio musicians. There is also a wing with memorabilia and videos showing the rockers wearing the items; a wing on salsa music history & one on the blues. The 3rd floor has sound rooms where you can play a guitar, keyboard or drums and you are instructed via lights as to how to play a song. Great fun. They also have a great restaurant there that is reasonably priced and good food. As my DH is a musician we loved it and spent 6hrs there - longer than we spend in most museums. Here's a link to it and some other ideas as well www.seattleattractions.com/emp.html

I'm surprised the locals haven't responded as they do love their town and are proud of what it has to offer. We've been there about 6 times. We love walking around Pike's Market to see the flower market, fish vendors, craft vendors and food shops. If your ship is docked in the downtown area it should be somewhat close by. As Seattle is a coffee town, try one of the local coffee spots - or Starbucks if you desire as the original is near the market.

Our favorite thing to do is to take the tram to the space needle to see Experience Music Project. This is a Frank Gehry building so it is unique in its architecture. If you are a musician or lover of rock & roll you will find it facinating. It features guitars from the early years to today. With the ipod tour you get to hear how they sound as played by great studio musicians. There is also a wing with memorabilia and videos showing the rockers wearing the items; a wing on salsa music history & one on the blues. The 3rd floor has sound rooms where you can play a guitar, keyboard or drums and you are instructed via lights as to how to play a song. Great fun. They also have a great restaurant there that is reasonably priced and good food. As my DH is a musician we loved it and spent 6hrs there - longer than we spend in most museums. Here's a link to it and some other ideas as well www.seattleattractions.com/emp.html

Excellent suggestions. Since you appear to be interested in airplanes, the Museum of Flight near the airport is one of the great airplane museums in the world.

DON

Seattle is wonderful! Lots to do and see and very walkable in the area of Pikes Place Market. I would recommend hanging around that area in addition to the flight museum. Maybe try posting on the Alaska board as many people do the two together. Have fun!

I'm surprised you didn't receive a reply on West Coast; I agree with the other post that Alaska may provide the help you need.

I can't speak to the tour either, but as a someone who's "plane nuts" the Boeing factory and Museum of Flight are both good. There are many historic planes on display at MoF and you may see the 787 (on order by both Qantas and Jetstar) parked on the flight ramp at the factory in Everett. The factory is about 30 miles/50km north of downtown; MoF is 5 miles/10km south at Boeing Field. Stay alert at MoF, since Boeing Field has a lot of Boeing work going on there's often interesting stuff taking off or landing there.

Seattle is wonderful! Lots to do and see and very walkable in the area of Pikes Place Market. I would recommend hanging around that area in addition to the flight museum. Maybe try posting on the Alaska board as many people do the two together. Have fun!

This area is a family favourite, as it has a unique atmosphere. You can't help but have a smile on your face watching the fish fly.

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/About-Us.html

Archived