How Strict With Ages ForThe Kids Clubs

mit01

We're sailing on Crown over Thanksgiving, and I was wondering how strict Princess is with ages for the kids clubs. Our two girls are 14 and 12, which means they would be assigned to different clubs. Will Princess let my 12 year old go with her older sister?

Thanks.

We're sailing on Crown over Thanksgiving, and I was wondering how strict Princess is with ages for the kids clubs. Our two girls are 14 and 12, which means they would be assigned to different clubs. Will Princess let my 12 year old go with her older sister?

Thanks.

Sorry no, they will not allow the younger one to join her sister. They are very strict on the age groups.

No, they will not let them be in the same group. They can't make exceptions. Once I even had a hard time convincing them to let DS be in the teen group because his birthday fell on the day we boarded, and they already had him down for the younger group. Had to show passport, etc. to get it changed.

Just curious

What kind of proof do they require for age upfront?

Not asking for OPINIONS just FACTS as in birth certificate, passport, your word on the form. They can only be as strict as the proof they require...maybe?

On Carnival no actual proof was required but after explaining a family situation we were able to switch my son with his cousin after the paperwork.

Do I need proof of age (passport) when I go to register my kids in the program?

Just the FACTS if you know please?

Thanks

My friend's son had a birthday and was not allowed to switch until the day of his birthday. They use the date on the passport as proof.

The older child can be in the younger group but not vice versa.

They are very strict about the rules in the kids club.

Just curious

Not asking for OPINIONS just FACTS as in birth certificate, passport, your word on the form. They can only be as strict as the proof they require...maybe?

On Carnival no actual proof was required but after explaining a family situation we were able to switch my son with his cousin after the paperwork.

Thanks

When you register for the cruise (not the children's program), you have to provide either a passport or certified BC; they use the age on this document to determine which group your kid(s) belong in. Once you complete the registration (I usually do it online in advance), they already have a record of your child's age, so when you go to sign them up for the children's program, THEY will tell YOU what group your child is in.

At least, that has been my experience on the 4 Princess cruises I've taken with DS.

Edited to add: Also, once your kids have cruised Princess, they are in the system anyway, so there is no way of creating "uncertainty" about their age.

My friend's son had a birthday and was not allowed to switch until the day of his birthday. They use the date on the passport as proof.

The older child can be in the younger group but not vice versa.

I thought so but wasn't sure because it was a while back since my friend had her kids of different age groups together on Princess.

My son went down to a lower age group on Carnival last year. Maybe the no expection to this is something new.

They are very strict about the rules in the kids club.

I will have the passport ready.

Thanks

I have heard on some cruises they may make exceptions to the rules. But that is putting a child in a younger group. These are also cruises with few kids. Thanksgiving week has many children so they have to be strict with the age rules.

I agree - never up into the next older group, but the older child can go down to the next lower, although if any parents complain, they will not be allowed to continue in the lower age group. A lot depends on the kids' program coordinator for your ship and sail date. The ones we've experienced (17 cruises so far for our 16 yr. old), have all been very by-the-book.

When you register for the cruise (not the children's program), you have to provide either a passport or certified BC; they use the age on this document to determine which group your kid(s) belong in. Once you complete the registration (I usually do it online in advance), they already have a record of your child's age, so when you go to sign them up for the children's program, THEY will tell YOU what group your child is in.

At least, that has been my experience on the 4 Princess cruises I've taken with DS.

Edited to add: Also, once your kids have cruised Princess, they are in the system anyway, so there is no way of creating "uncertainty" about their age.

This has been my experience as well. They already have a roster of all the children on board, grouped by the age in which they are documented via birthdate and the sign in sheets are already preprinted for each group with the chilren's names. In fact, they often have a count posted somewhere of the number of boys and girls in each age group so you can see how many peers your child has.

I have seen Princess allow a child to move down a level, but never up. I'm not really sure a 14 year old would want to move from the Teen to the Shockwaves group.

I will have the passport ready.

Thanks

You won't need to show the passport at the kid's club. When you complete your pre-boarding documentation and then show your passports at boarding to confirm the information on file, your child's age will be in the system and on the record for the kid's clubs. All you need to do is fill out the kid's club registration form at orientation the first evening. Your child will already be assigned to their age appropriate group.

They are very, very strict. My son turned 18 midweek through the cruise, and was dismissed from the teen group the very next day. Legally, they don't want adults with children.

IMOP, very, very stupid. Your son made friends and now is dismissed half way through the cruise from his buddies. What on God's green earth (or used to be green) was he capble of at the minute he turned 18. This seems nothing more than a means to have one less person around. Clearly we are living in a world where basic common sense is lacking. Yep at 18 he can now push the wrong buttons, pffff that's done at 13:D

They are very, very strict. My son turned 18 midweek through the cruise, and was dismissed from the teen group the very next day. Legally, they don't want adults with children.

I'm surprised to hear this as it wasn't this way last spring break on the cruise and I'm speaking from experience. If you were 18 when you boarded they allowed you to register and stay in the teen club for the entire cruise.

According to my son, there were some 18 year olds that hung out in the teen club starting around midweek. They weren't supposed to be in there as they were 18 prior to the sailing, but the rules seemed to get a bit more lax as the week went on. There were hundred of teens on board so I don't know if this had anything to do with this.

Just curious

Thanks

As others have said, you have to show ID for your kids when you board the ship. It clearly shows in the computer tied to their Key/ship ID their age. The kid's club has the list and when you register your child they also ask to see their ID. Even with a 17 year old you still have to go and register your child so there is not way for the kids to try and get around it.

I have always heard the ships use the age you are the day you get on the ship. It does not change if they have a b-day during the cruise. The older teen groups do a lot of things outside of the club location.

Yes, I agree it's a stupid move, but I'm sure it has to do with legalities, possible lawsuits, stuff like that.

They really are strict with their kids' program, but on the whole, it is a well-run program. ;)

Exactly....

I have always heard the ships use the age you are the day you get on the ship. It does not change if they have a b-day during the cruise. The older teen groups do a lot of things outside of the club location.

That's right because my daughter had her birthday during the cruise and could not move up to the next higher group.

Archived