he went to Cuba and no fine...yet

smeyer418

Please someone explain, how do Americans "sneak" in and out of Cuba across the American border? Is someone implying there is a hole in the security system. The means this man used to travel, flying through Costa Rica, are not illegal and they stamped his passport - how could one hide this if that is what they wanted to do?

I'm a confused Canadian - and we can go to Cuba whenever we want!

It is easy to go legally. Many exceptions are provided.

Our congregation is sponsoring a trip to study something or other..... I forget now what it is but anyone who wishes to go, just has to sign up and pay their money. It is legal for Americans to travel on many these type sponsored trips.

I don’t think it is ‘illegal’ for Americans to travel to Cuba, but it is illegal for Americans to spend money there. Hence the fact was mentioned that the man in the article spent $50 on tourist trinkets.

As a previous poster mentioned, Americans can fly to Cancun, Nassau, or somewhere in Canada and proceed to Cuba. I have been to Cuba on a Canadian passport and my passport was not stamped, only my ‘tourist card’ received a stamp.

If you have a ‘legitimate’ reason, such as defined by the American Government, you may also go if you are an American citizen.

I don’t think it is ‘illegal’ for Americans to travel to Cuba, but it is illegal for Americans to spend money there. Hence the fact was mentioned that the man in the article spent $50 on tourist trinkets.

As a previous poster mentioned, Americans can fly to Cancun, Nassau, or somewhere in Canada and proceed to Cuba. I have been to Cuba on a Canadian passport and my passport was not stamped, only my ‘tourist card’ received a stamp.

If you have a ‘legitimate’ reason, such as defined by the American Government, you may also go if you are an American citizen.

its illegal for US nationals without a specially issued license to travel to Cuba(except for those which have a class exemption). It has nothing to do with spending money there.

http://www.treasury.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.pdf

in fact the fines and carries a jail sentence up to 10 years in jail.

its illegal for US nationals without a specially issued license to travel to Cuba(except for those which have a class exemption). It has nothing to do with spending money there.

http://www.treasury.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.pdf

in fact the fines and carries a jail sentence up to 10 years in jail.

A country which so proudly proclaims "Land of the free" would never restrict the movement of their own citizens, would it?

As for getting there, it's easy. I can fly non-stop to Cuba on multiple carriers out of YVR. On the flip side, I can't fly non-stop to anywhere in Florida.

Please someone explain, how do Americans "sneak" in and out of Cuba across the American border? Is someone implying there is a hole in the security system. The means this man used to travel, flying through Costa Rica, are not illegal and they stamped his passport - how could one hide this if that is what they wanted to do?

I'm a confused Canadian - and we can go to Cuba whenever we want!

As others have explained, it is easy for Americans to go to Cuba through many other countries. The first time we went I said I asked the Cuban passport control agent "por favor, don't stamp the passport" to which he replied "no problem".

A country which so proudly proclaims "Land of the free" would never restrict the movement of their own citizens, would it?

Laws are made by polititians-

Polititians are 90% lawyers

Go figure.

I am from the government and I'm here to HELP you!

As for getting there, it's easy. I can fly non-stop to Cuba on multiple carriers out of YVR. On the flip side, I can't fly non-stop to anywhere in Florida.

That's because a flight to Cuba can't stop in the US....and its because you aren't a US national...I disagree with the rule but it is the law. Many US people who went through other countries received a fine notice from the US treasury....

I was born in the U.S., as were my parents and grandparents, and two of my great grandparents, but the rest of my ancestors were from Cuba and Spain. It is at the top of my "bucket list" to visit Cuba before I die. However, I would never go illegally to any country against my country's laws, that's just me. Can't wait for the day when I can legally cruise there from the U.S.:D

We went to Cuba on a day trip from a resort in Jamaica 10 years ago. The agent in Cuba did not stamp our passport and told us it was because we were American. We loved the island. It has the same island flavor as Jamaica but without the fear of crime. We were also struck by the poverty. I hope the US opens travel soon.

Well, then, why have any laws at all? If it really is the land of the free, why not let me live on your property, or better yet, in your house? Why not let me drive my motorcycle at full throttle at 3 a.m. down your street - you may be sleeping, but hey, it _is_ the land of the free. /sarcasm mode off

Without some laws, there would be absolute chaos at worst, mob rule at best. If you don't agree with the laws, then work to change them. End of soapbox.

Archived