Paris Question

Woobstr112G

Looking for some input for what to do in Paris. DW & I will be in Paris for two days prior to flying onto Venice. The first night will probably be spent recovering from jet lag. Was trying to figure out something to do for the second night. Was looking at a dinner cruise but all the ones I've looked mention formal dress. Anyone out there that could give me some other ideas. I was planning on renting a tux on the ship so I won't have any real formal wear untill we get on the Ruby.

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

It's hard to imagine such a tourist-oriented event as a dinner cruise requiring formal dress. I'd be curious about where you saw that. Formal on a Seine boat normally means wear shirt and shoes.

If you don't do the dinner cruise, I would absoutely take one of the tour boats ("bateuax-mouches") for a ride past some familiar Paris landmarks. If this is your first visit to Paris, I would also do a Ho-Ho bus; two different companies operate these services in Paris.

Incidentally, I can relate to the jet lag which you anticipate; I never sleep well on planes. But if you possibly can, I would advise pushing yourself to be active on the day you arrive, at least until an early dinner time and bed soon afterward. This way, you won't waste precious Paris time and more important, it is the best and quickest way that I know of to get your body onto European time. The Ho-Ho bus would be ideal, since it is a low-energy activity.

Then on the second day, I would get a little more active. Paris is a great walking city. At the very least, start from the Etoile (the Arc de Triomphe, inside of which you can go up for a great view) and walk up the Champs Elysees. Turn right on Avenue George V (direct route) or walk Rond-Point and turn right on Avenue Montaigne, a very upscale residential and commercial street. Either one will get you to the Pont d'Alma, from where you can board a Seine cruiser. You can take a subway (Metro line 6 to/from Etoile) to Trocadero stop to get a magnificent view of the Eiffel Tower across the river, but I wouldn't waste time waiting in line to go up.

When you get tired, sit down at an outdoor cafe and order coffee or a beer and watch the world go by - that too is part of the Paris experience. Enjoy your time there!

in addition to the bateaux mouche...there is a hop on hop off boat...does a circle...previous poster was right..paris is a great city to walk...I would suggest the boat first..do a full circle then hop off to see stuff that interests you....I spent 6 weeks in Paris as a student and did not see all I wanted...made it up the eifel tower....lineups are long unless you can walk up...you are right in planning ahead...you will have to make a list of must sees for you and then try to see what you can....try a crepe from a sidewalk stand..especially the dessert ones

It's hard to imagine such a tourist-oriented event as a dinner cruise requiring formal dress. I'd be curious about where you saw that. Formal on a Seine boat normally means wear shirt and shoes.

If you don't do the dinner cruise, I would absoutely take one of the tour boats ("bateuax-mouches") for a ride past some familiar Paris landmarks. If this is your first visit to Paris, I would also do a Ho-Ho bus; two different companies operate these services in Paris.

Incidentally, I can relate to the jet lag which you anticipate; I never sleep well on planes. But if you possibly can, I would advise pushing yourself to be active on the day you arrive, at least until an early dinner time and bed soon afterward. This way, you won't waste precious Paris time and more important, it is the best and quickest way that I know of to get your body onto European time. The Ho-Ho bus would be ideal, since it is a low-energy activity.

Then on the second day, I would get a little more active. Paris is a great walking city. At the very least, start from the Etoile (the Arc de Triomphe, inside of which you can go up for a great view) and walk up the Champs Elysees. Turn right on Avenue George V (direct route) or walk Rond-Point and turn right on Avenue Montaigne, a very upscale residential and commercial street. Either one will get you to the Pont d'Alma, from where you can board a Seine cruiser. You can take a subway (Metro line 6 to/from Etoile) to Trocadero stop to get a magnificent view of the Eiffel Tower across the river, but I wouldn't waste time waiting in line to go up.

When you get tired, sit down at an outdoor cafe and order coffee or a beer and watch the world go by - that too is part of the Paris experience. Enjoy your time there!

Thanks for your reply Bob. I saw it mentioned on "Viator"

http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Paris-Seine-River-Dinner-Cruise/d479-2050DB

Bob

in addition to the bateaux mouche...there is a hop on hop off boat...does a circle...previous poster was right..paris is a great city to walk...I would suggest the boat first..do a full circle then hop off to see stuff that interests you....I spent 6 weeks in Paris as a student and did not see all I wanted...made it up the eifel tower....lineups are long unless you can walk up...you are right in planning ahead...you will have to make a list of must sees for you and then try to see what you can....try a crepe from a sidewalk stand..especially the dessert ones

Thanks for the input.....:):):)

Bob

Rather than do a dinner cruise on the bateaux Mouche, I'd head to the metro stop at St Germain des pres on the left bank and the heart of the lain quarter. There is a square right beside the metro that is full of fantastic cafes and restaurants. It has the most amazing atmosphere and the food is far superior than you would get on a bateaux mouche. That would be a real parisienne experience ratehr than something designed for tourists.

the bateaux mouche is good for a nice relaxing trip and let you see a lot of the sights. i think it is much better than the Batobus (the hop on hop off river boat). We used the batobus last year and gave up n it half way round because the commentary was only in French and my niece could not understand and also the stops were so close together that we were spending longer at stops than we were on the move.

Other things that I'd recommend

Musee D'orsay - my favourite gallery in paris. it is a convereted railway station and has a rooftop cafe right behind the old railway clock, there is a balcony outside that you get fantastic views all over Paris. They have a great collection of art and sculpture too. It is far less busy than the Louvre.

Easy to do on foor - get off at St Michel and have a wander about the left bank, cross over to the Ile de la Cite to see Notre Dame. You will see the Louvre close by. Then walk through the Tuileries gardens (there are a few cafes in the gardens where you could have a drink and a crepe if you want). Come out at the other side of the Tuileries gardens and you will be at the Place de la Concorde. From this point you are at the bottom of the Champs Elysee. if you look up it you get a great view of the LArce de Triomphe at the top. You also get a great view of the Eiffel Tower from here. You can then stroll up the Champs Elysee to the top and go up the L'Arce.

Another very nice area is Place du Tertre behind the basilica of the Sacre Couer in Monmatre. You get the metro to L'Abbesses.

Personally I would not bother wasting time trying to get up the Eiffel Tower. You will waste more time standing in line waiting for a ticket and then for the lifts.

if you fancy a bit of peace and quiet go to the Palais and Jardind du Luxembourg on the left bank. I usually go to a bakers first and buy a baguette and some pastries and head to the park there to have a picnic by the lovely pond.

If you love shopping then the most famous of all the department stores is the huge galeries Lafayette near the Opera House

Paris is the most wonderful city. I've been 10 times on trips ranging from 4 to 14 days and never get tired of it. It is the most fascinating place.

wow...either there was no commentary when I did the batobus or my high school french is much better than I think

I used to recommend the Samaritaine ..its a department store with a great overlook from the rooftop restaurant...ok restaurant is an overstatement as it is a department store...plastic wrapped cheese sandwiches and expensive soft drinks...but the view was great...it is closed til 2011 for repair.

there is tons and tons to do in Paris so please do make a list and plan it out...spontaneity is great but only if you have the time for it

go to the batobus website...it has flags on the upper left..click on the UK flag and you get the english version...you can couple your pass with a hop on hop off bus

I cannot help with the OP because it would fill several thousand words if we were to give a few ideas about what to do in Paris. It is a large city that has kept us more than busy for the weeks, and it still remains my wife's favorite city in the world. What one does in Paris is very much based on your personal interests. For us, we just love to stroll around the city and stay at a small hotel in the 5th or 6th (Latin Quarter or St Germain) on the left bank. As to the dinner cruises, they are very touristy and it is a shame to eat that food when Paris is full of so many great eating places. For us it makes more sense to eat a good meal somewhere and take the bateu Marche without doing a dinner cruise. As to formal dress, unless you are planning on going to a haute cuisine high rated Michelin 3 star restaurant (prepare to spend over $400 per couple) you will be fine in casual clothes.

Hank

Another comment re: the dinner cruise. I didn't do the one including dinner, but I did ride the evening boat. I was dismayed that you couldn't really see the sights very well due to all the traffice on the river with high-powered lights. I agree with the other poster who suggested finding a nice sidewalk cafe instead, as a more Parisian experience.

The Musee d'Orsay is nice if you believe that all that impressionistic paint dribbling is really art (tongue in cheek here.... well, somewhat), but you cannot beat the Louvre for classical sculpture and paintings.

The Musee d'Orsay is nice if you believe that all that impressionistic paint dribbling is really art (tongue in cheek here.... well, somewhat), but you cannot beat the Louvre for classical sculpture and paintings.

Cynthia, I am shocked and appalled. Your post has put a considerable strain on our up-until-now excellent electronic relationship.:D

Pam

Most of the time I agree with CruiseMom, but her comment about the Musee d'Orsay is one place we have differeing opinions. After traveling to over 75 countries, probably hundreds of musems, etc etc,,,the Musee d'Orsay would probably be the favorite museum in the world for both me and my DW. Sure, the Musee d'Orsay has one of the best (if not the best) Impressionist collections in the world. But, there is more than impressionism such as Whistler's Mother. The building itself is quite interesting as it was an amazing transformation of an old train station (Gare d'Orsay). On our many trips to Paris we have indeed visited the Louvre on two ocassions, but have visted the Musee d'Orsay on nearly every trip (and will continue to do so). Cynthia might be appalled that such an old guy (me) loves Impressionism and has a personal goal of visiting every important impressionist collection in the world. By the way, for those that love the impressionists, while in Paris, it is worthwhile to also visit the Musee d'Orangerie just to see the amazing Monet water lilly painting as well as some other great paintings by many of his contemporaries.

Hank

Thanks for your reply Bob. I saw it mentioned on "Viator"

http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Paris-Seine-River-Dinner-Cruise/d479-2050DB

Bob

The site says "Your three-course French dinner is formal, so take the opportunity to dress up for the occasion on your evening out in Paris. Diners wearing casual jeans, sportswear and joggers will not be allowed on-board this formal dinner cruise." I would interpret that to mean elegant casual, not tuxedo - dress pants and a collared shirt should be fine, perhaps a blazer if it is not too hot. I think they just want to discourage slobs, which of course does not include anyone who posts on CC:rolleyes:

I can take or leave impressionism, but for me, the best stuff in the Musee d'Orsay is the architectural section. It contains a huge cutaway of the Opera Garnier (so you can check out where the Phantom lived) and a model of the neighborhood surrounding it under a glass floor, as well as models of building facades and (toward the top of the building, as I recall) lots of stuff from Hector Guimard, the Art Nouveau architect who designed the iconic Paris Metro entrances (and a synagogue on the rue Pavee in the Marais).

Most of the time I agree with CruiseMom, but her comment about the Musee d'Orsay is one place we have differeing opinions. After traveling to over 75 countries, probably hundreds of musems, etc etc,,,the Musee d'Orsay would probably be the favorite museum in the world for both me and my DW. Sure, the Musee d'Orsay has one of the best (if not the best) Impressionist collections in the world. But, there is more than impressionism such as Whistler's Mother. The building itself is quite interesting as it was an amazing transformation of an old train station (Gare d'Orsay). On our many trips to Paris we have indeed visited the Louvre on two ocassions, but have visted the Musee d'Orsay on nearly every trip (and will continue to do so). Cynthia might be appalled that such an old guy (me) loves Impressionism and has a personal goal of visiting every important impressionist collection in the world. By the way, for those that love the impressionists, while in Paris, it is worthwhile to also visit the Musee d'Orangerie just to see the amazing Monet water lilly painting as well as some other great paintings by many of his contemporaries.

Hank

Hank you are a an after my own heart with these sentiments. have you tried the Musee Marmottan (closest metro Muette)/ It is not so well known but has an extensive collection of Monet's work

Cynthia, I am shocked and appalled. Your post has put a considerable strain on our up-until-now excellent electronic relationship.:D

Pam

Hank

Kidding, folks, kidding!!!

The Musee d'Orsay is a great museum, and I've savored it on a couple of occasions. I was just overcompensating for a couple of recent posts I'd read that were putting down the Louvre. And of course you know my heart is with the ancients.

Kidding, folks, kidding!!!

The Musee d'Orsay is a great museum, and I've savored it on a couple of occasions. I was just overcompensating for a couple of recent posts I'd read that were putting down the Louvre. And of course you know my heart is with the ancients.

Me kidding you too!:)

Speaking of ancients, have you visited Malta?

Hank you are a an after my own heart with these sentiments. have you tried the Musee Marmottan (closest metro Muette)/ It is not so well known but has an extensive collection of Monet's work

You caught me! We do know of that museum, keep saying we will go visit it when in Paris, and for some unknown reason we never get to the place. I cannot even use the excuse that its location in the 16th is out of the way since we actually go to a restaurant that is not too far from that Museum. We will definitely get over there on our next Paris visit (we hope).

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
Looking for some input for what to do in Paris. DW & I will be in Paris for two days prior to flying onto Venice. The first night will probably be spent recovering from jet lag. Was trying to figure out something to do for the second night. Was looking at a dinner cruise but all the ones I've looked mention formal dress. Anyone out there that could give me some other ideas. I was planning on renting a tux on the ship so I won't have any real formal wear untill we get on the Ruby.

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

We were in Paris a short while ago and saw the Maxim dinner cruise and they did not require formal dress if anything maybe slacks and dinner jacket.

Archived