Help with NY hotel

Rdwhite1999

We have booked the Carnival out of NY on 10/10/09 and we would like to fly in a couple of days early to see NY. Can someone recomend a hotel for two people (one bed) for under $200/night? We do not want to stay at a dump but want something clean in a good location. Or are we being unreasonable on our price range? We will be flying into LGA.

You should consider how important location is in your lodging decision. Near LaGuardia Airport are several hotels in Flushing, Queens that are in the $110 to $160 range for the dates you would want. These hotels include courtesy car service to and from the airport, and are within a few blocks of both the Long Island Rail Road (20 minutes to midtown Manhattan) and the New York City subway (30 minutes to midtown Manhattan). The neighborhood itself is quite busy and with a large Chinese and Korean community (more so than in Manhattan's Chinatown), and many people believe that the Asian restaurants here are the City's best.

If this is acceptable look for any of these hotels:

Sheraton LaGuardia East

Best Western Queens Court Hotel

Howard Johnson Flushing

Comfort Inn Flushing

Wingate by Wyndham LaGuardia Airport

Flushing YMCA

We have booked the Carnival out of NY on 10/10/09 and we would like to fly in a couple of days early to see NY. Can someone recomend a hotel for two people (one bed) for under $200/night? We do not want to stay at a dump but want something clean in a good location. Or are we being unreasonable on our price range? We will be flying into LGA.

While your dates are peak season, with a little time and energy you can certainly stay in Manhattan within your budget. Check out www.BetterBidding.com and www.BiddingForTravel.com. Also check out www.Hotwire.com and you should easily find something.

I know others will tell you to stay in Jersey City or outside Manhattan but it most definitely takes something away from the trip.

Similar question. We are into JFK 9/16. Looking for 3 nights, under $200 with subway access to Manhattan. Need to book in advance and know the name of the hotel.Thanks

It is a little more difficult--but not impossible--to find good lodging near Kennedy Airport with convenient subway access to Manhattan.

Overall, the most convenient hotel meeting your criteria is the Quality Inn in Jamaica, N.Y. This hotel is located about two blocks away from the Jamaica station of the AirTrain system (i.e., the internal automated airport transportation system that serves every airline terminal at Kennedy Airport). The Jamaica station also houses the main Long Island Rail Road station (about 20 minutes to midtown Manhattan) and the Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av subway station (about 30 minutes to midtown Manhattan). The hotel in located just outside of downtown Jamaica, a busy, albeit not affluent, shopping area. However, the street upon which the hotel is located is not busy, and there are not many restaurants in the immediate area.

A few blocks further away from the AirTrain Jamaica station are the Clarion Hotel and Super 8. Both are on Jamaica Avenue, about 8 blocks distant from the hotel. These hotels are on a busier street with a few more restaurant choices.

Finally, there's the Best Western Jamaica Inn. When it was previously a Comfort Inn I believe that there was a complimentary shuttle service to and from Kennedy Airport, but I can't determine if that is still the case (it is beyond reasonable walking distance from the AirTrain station). If there is such a service then this might be a good choice since you've got the Flagship Diner almost right next door, and other restaurant choices not far down Queens Blvd. in Kew Gardens and Forest Hills. The hotel is very close to the Van Wyck Blvd. subway station.

We stayed at Holiday Inn Midtown 57th which is the hotel that NCL uses but we booked it on our own this summer for only $159. Great location - easy to walk to Central Park (2 blocks) and Time Square (8-9 blocks) and only a short taxi ride to the pier for us - like 5 blocks although I'm not sure all ships leave from the same pier.

Great hotel for the money.

Bummer - I just checked on the hotel website - no rooms available for around Oct. 10. Guess you need to book early for this hotel.

Sheraton LaGuardia East

Howard Johnson Flushing

Comfort Inn Flushing

Flushing YMCA

If you're going to make recommendations to tourists who presumably aren't all that familiar with NY City and the huge selection of lodging available, don't you think it would be advisable to disclose that no one would classify the Flushing YMCA as a hotel in the way that most think of a hotel? I'll bet if you called the YMCA even the staff there would tell you it's not a hotel ...it's a hostel and the inclusion of the letter "s" does make a difference!

Similar question. We are into JFK 9/16. Looking for 3 nights, under $200 with subway access to Manhattan. Need to book in advance and know the name of the hotel.Thanks

If you are planning on sightseeing in Manhattan, please do not stay around JFK for more than one night (arrival night). There is literally nothing there-the area is primarily industrial unless you want to go out into the "neighborhoods".

If you are planning to see the "normal" touristy things-Empire State Bldg, Ground Zero, Rockefeller Center, etc. etc, you will have a FAR superior experience staying IN MANHATTAN and NOT trying to negotiate the subway every day in and out of the city. Have you checked Hotwire???? I would bid up to $200 on Priceline-best star rating for the area you want to stay in and see what happens. Hotwire has a lot of hotels for your dates right AT $200-some a few dollars more and some a few dollars less.

A 3+ star hotel at JFK will be considerably cheaper than Manhattan. If you choose to stay around JFK, MAKE SURE you get a hotel with a free shuttle to the airport. Then you can take AirTrain into Manhattan. Stay away from the Best Western-JFK. A TOTAL DUMP!!! I had to MOVE one of my truck drivers two weeks ago Thursday night OUT of that hotel. It was that bad.

My first option would be Priceline. Bid the highest star rating for the neighborhood you want for 3 days and quit bidding at $200 or under per night if you don't get something. I use Priceline ALL the time. Have stayed in some very luxurious NYC hotels for 1/3 what the going rate is. Enjoy!!!

If you're going to make recommendations to tourists who presumably aren't all that familiar with NY City and the huge selection of lodging available, don't you think it would be advisable to disclose that no one would classify the Flushing YMCA as a hotel in the way that most think of a hotel? I'll bet if you called the YMCA even the staff there would tell you it's not a hotel ...it's a hostel and the inclusion of the letter "s" does make a difference!

Thank you!!!!

And all the public transit info???? Wait until someone ends up in Canarsie after dark instead of Time Square!!!!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I used Priceline and was able to get the Four Points Sheraton Midtown - Times Square for $165/night plus taxes. I have read this is a new hotel that has just been open for a couple of months. I hope it is in a good neighborhood. Now can someone advise what would be the best way to get from LGA to the hotel?

Can anyone help with a hotel around times square / rockerfeller centre ?

Needs to be close to subway line from JFK.

Looking for one night 19th December approx $120. Thanks

This is going to be difficult to find. Christmas in NY is considered high season. You might find something close to $200.

Isn't that the truth? A hostel in an unfamiliar location to someone who is completely unfamiliar with public transportation just isn't smart.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I used Priceline and was able to get the Four Points Sheraton Midtown - Times Square for $165/night plus taxes. I have read this is a new hotel that has just been open for a couple of months. I hope it is in a good neighborhood. Now can someone advise what would be the best way to get from LGA to the hotel?

I would take a taxi from LGA. The hotel is just to the south and west of Times Square. I would call the neighborhood "OK" if you're used to an urban setting, but not prime tourist territory.

Weliketocruise86 - could you start a new thread that is devoted to your travel plans? I have seen several questions from you on different threads and am confused as to what your current flight plans are. The only hotel in NY that I am seeing for Dec. 19 that is $120 is the Hotel Edison. The other hotels in this price range are 1* or 2* and I could not in good conscience recommend a 1* or 2* in New York City. Perhaps someone has stayed at the Hotel Edison and can make a personal comment.

However, I am seeing the 4* hotel in Jersey City for that date on Hotwire for $129- this is either the Hyatt or Westin Hotel. Both hotels have easy access to Path. As was discussed in another response, if you fly into Newark you could take AirTrain to Newark Penn Station and Path to the hotel. If you fly into JFK, you could take AirTrain to Chambers St and get Path there (however, you will need some detailed advice from the NYer's as to the best way to make the transfer). If you have energy left after your trip, it would be possible to run into NY Saturday night. If not, you will probably go to bed early and be up very early, so going into NY very early on Sunday morning would be doable. From either hotel in Jersey City you can take a cab to Bayonne or the light rail if that is your choice.

Thanks for the advice. We have decided to fly into JFK and stay in Manhattan. This seemed to be the best option for our plans. We will travel into Manhattan on the subway which we have done before. The hotel is half black from the station. After signtseeing we will collect our luggage and head for Cape Liberty. When we disembark we plan to head straight to JFK as this seemed the most hassle free. Thanks again it is helpful to glean information from the 'locals'.

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know if you need any other info. If you take the light rail to Bayonne, would you post back and tell us your experience? Lots of people talk about it, but no one has posted that they have actually done it.

You should consider how important location is in your lodging decision. Near LaGuardia Airport are several hotels in Flushing, Queens that are in the $110 to $160 range for the dates you would want. These hotels include courtesy car service to and from the airport, and are within a few blocks of both the Long Island Rail Road (20 minutes to midtown Manhattan) and the New York City subway (30 minutes to midtown Manhattan). The neighborhood itself is quite busy and with a large Chinese and Korean community (more so than in Manhattan's Chinatown), and many people believe that the Asian restaurants here are the City's best.

Sheraton LaGuardia East

Howard Johnson Flushing

Comfort Inn Flushing

Flushing YMCA

Hello GTJ,, Is there a reason you don't list the La Guardia Marriott? Is it more expense than the OP want's or is it not a good hotel? We are book there for October. got it through Priceline, so I'm a little nervous if it's nice or not. Any info appreciated.

Hello GTJ,, Is there a reason you don't list the La Guardia Marriott? Is it more expense than the OP want's or is it not a good hotel? We are book there for October. got it through Priceline, so I'm a little nervous if it's nice or not. Any info appreciated.

the LGA Marriott is a better class than those mentioned...and as to WHY the YMCA was mentioned?? :eek::confused::rolleyes:

The Marriott was recently renovated so you should be fine.............it gets decent reviews as well (although those should be taken with a grain of salt)...

Weliketocruise86 - could you start a new thread that is devoted to your travel plans? I have seen several questions from you on different threads and am confused as to what your current flight plans are. The only hotel in NY that I am seeing for Dec. 19 that is $120 is the Hotel Edison. The other hotels in this price range are 1* or 2* and I could not in good conscience recommend a 1* or 2* in New York City. Perhaps someone has stayed at the Hotel Edison and can make a personal comment.

However, I am seeing the 4* hotel in Jersey City for that date on Hotwire for $129- this is either the Hyatt or Westin Hotel. Both hotels have easy access to Path. As was discussed in another response, if you fly into Newark you could take AirTrain to Newark Penn Station and Path to the hotel. If you fly into JFK, you could take AirTrain to Chambers St and get Path there (however, you will need some detailed advice from the NYer's as to the best way to make the transfer). If you have energy left after your trip, it would be possible to run into NY Saturday night. If not, you will probably go to bed early and be up very early, so going into NY very early on Sunday morning would be doable. From either hotel in Jersey City you can take a cab to Bayonne or the light rail if that is your choice.

technically the AIRTRAIN from EWR does NOT go to Nwk Penn Station...(i know it is confusing...even the signs on the NJTransit Trains and PATH are poorly worded.)

The AirTrain at EWR is ONLY a monorail that goes to the EWR Airport NJTransit train station......

Thus you must buy a ticket from the Airport TO Newark Penn to get on the PATH (for which you buy ANOTHER ticket)

Fare for this LESS THAN 10 minute ride is $7.75 US (the machines take cash or plastic....buy the ticket from a machine at the airport)

THEN buy a PATH ticket for ~$ 1.75 (again, machines take cash or plastic, but sometimes they will NOT take bills as they get jammed)

Just wanted to clear that up....there is NO FREE way to get from the a/p to the DOWNTOWN Newark station.....(the Hilton shuttle drivers are REALLY hard on people trying to do this.......don't ask!)

The LGA Marriott is a standard, business class hotel. They have fine dining, but the food in the bar is very good. If you enjoy watching planes, ask for a high floor room at the back of the hotel. Those rooms look over the runways at LGA (no noise). I have stayed at the Marriott LGA and Crowne Plaza LGA (directly across the street) many many times and other than minor problems (not enough towels-quickly brought up and a really, really crappy room service steak), I find them more than satisfactory for an airport hotel.

Archived