Upgrade using captains club membership

swansnz

From searching some previous postings, I was under the impression that to get a captains club upgrade of one class (outside to outside in my case), I could book the cabin I wanted, and pay the rate for the lower class (e.g. book 04 and pay for 05).

As I live in NZ, I am unable to book directly with Celebrity, and my agent is saying... "The upgrade isn't a discounted rate. On the day of sailing they look at all cabins not sold and upgrade passengers into better cabins, usually by most loyal customers first. Your membership will make you a priority for this. It is subject to availability"

Can anyone comment if what they say is true?

On another point, they say they are unable to book any midship cabin for me (nothing between forward and aft elevators on panorama deck), as they are all sold! This is for the Mercury Alaska cruise on 19th September 2010, so cannot believe this, and looking at the Celebrity web site, most I check are available. It would therefore appear | am blocked from booking these as I live in NZ, or outside the US?? - anyone know of these rules?

Thanks,

Anthony

Swannz, greetings (I am a 'Naki girl, but living in Melbourne) - why can you not book directly with Celebrity? Just go to the website and create an account and go! If you have already been checking and it shows up in NZ dollars, delete your cookies and start again, this time putting in USA as your main country - you can book and pay the deposit and the balance online - no need for a travel agent at all. and you can pick your cabin that way too. This is how I made my booking ... The system wanted me to book in Australian dollars, but I did a comparison, realised the US dollar version was much better for me (might not be so advantageous for you, but check) so deleted the cookie that kept directing me to the australian version, and booked on the US version. From what I have read here, there is no advantage at all to be gained from making your initial booking with an agent - best to do it yourself and maybe at the very end, just before you pay the balance, consider transferring it to an agent for an onboard credit. its much easier to do what you want, than communicate with a TA.

Does that make sense? Let me know if I can clarify it further.

I can't help with the foreign aspect, but your basic understanding of the 1-category upgrade for Captain's Club membership is correct. Your Travel Agent has it wrong.

When I book, either direct through Celebrity, or through my TA, I look at the price for one category below the one I want. After the booking is complete, the price is the same as for brochure price for the 1-category lower.

Harris

Denver, CO

I checked with the local handling agent of Celebrity here in my home country (not US or Canada) and they told me the same thing: that the upgrade is not guarantee and not until the time I board the ship I would not know if I could have the upgrade. Since they are the official handling agent here I think they are telling me the truth but now it turned out to be something different. Since the price they quoted is the same as that on the Celebrity website, should I just go and book on the website directly by myself?

Perhaps booking procedures are different outside the US, but we've always gotten a one-category upgrade by booking the cabin we want while paying the fare for one category lower. Admittedly, the benefit does come with the caveat "if available" but we've never encountered a time when all cabins in the category we wanted were filled. From the moment we make our reservations we know our cabin number and the cost, and have never had to wait for check-in or boarding for the Captain's Club upgrade benefit.

I checked with the local handling agent of Celebrity here in my home country (not US or Canada) and they told me the same thing: that the upgrade is not guarantee and not until the time I board the ship I would not know if I could have the upgrade. Since they are the official handling agent here I think they are telling me the truth but now it turned out to be something different. Since the price they quoted is the same as that on the Celebrity website, should I just go and book on the website directly by myself?

They are perhaps talking of another type of upgrade but it is not the Captain's Club ungrade. The CC upgrade has always been at the time of booking only and inside to inside and outside to outside. Why not call the CC directly and see what they say. I would also suggest that you not dwell too much on it as it really isn't a big savings.

As I live in NZ, I am unable to book directly with Celebrity, and my agent is saying... "The upgrade isn't a discounted rate. On the day of sailing they look at all cabins not sold and upgrade passengers into better cabins, usually by most loyal customers first. Your membership will make you a priority for this. It is subject to availability"

[Anthony

Actually your travel agent is very wrong about the way Celebrity handles upgrades. Celebrity will very rarely upgrade for free - even for frequent Celebrity cruisers. They usually offer any unsold cabins as an upgrade onboard for a fee.

You could try contacting the captain's club and asking them about how the upgrade benefit is handled in your country.

From Celebrity's website:

One category upgrade prior to sailing (when available)
One-
Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for inside-to-inside or outside-to-outside staterooms, depending on availability. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Suites, ConciergeClass and verandas excluded. Not valid on holiday sailings or Reunion Cruises. Celebrity Century, Celebrity Mercury, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Summit and Celebrity Constellation: Upgrades available from categories 11-4.

I would think that "when available" means at the time of booking not at the time of sailing. Otherwise it would be even less of a real benefit.

Your correct, the CC upgrade is ONLY available at booking.....It has been that way since Celebrity's inception....Any other upgrade is not the CC upgrade listed in the benefits;

At booking you can pay for say a 10 inside and reserve a room on grade 9. Same with outsides but this is not open on Balcony rooms. Yes everyone is correct it is very seldom that they will upgrade rooms for free. My friend a couple of years ago was upgraded from a 2B balcony to a Sky suite. She was not told I just saw it on her booking on the web. She and I travel together but in our own rooms.

I have been upgraded on QM2 last time by 7 grades but despite being Elite on X have like most people never been upgraded.

Sue

When available - I believe that it means that if you want to book the category you want, the next lower category (staying within the oceanview or inside) must be available. In other words if only cat 4 and cat 6 are available, you can't book the cat 4 for a captain's club upgrade as there isn't a cat 5 available for pricing for the cat 4.

At booking you can pay for say a 10 inside and reserve a room on grade 9. Same with outsides but this is not open on Balcony rooms. Yes everyone is correct it is very seldom that they will upgrade rooms for free. My friend a couple of years ago was upgraded from a 2B balcony to a Sky suite. She was not told I just saw it on her booking on the web. She and I travel together but in our own rooms.

I have been upgraded on QM2 last time by 7 grades but despite being Elite on X have like most people never been upgraded.

Sue

The upgrade that you stated can happen depending on a number of variables however it is not a Captains Club Upgrade.....It can happen to non CC members

Hi, thanks for all the responses.

I emailed the Celebrity CC and also phoned them. I passed these onto my TA, and now it appears I will get the 04 category I want at the 05 price - not a great saving, but none the less, a saving!! - should be confirmed tomorrow. The TA said it had to get approved by the Celebrity finance department, or something - hope they are not just making an excuse again.

Regarding the non-availability of the mid ship cabins - the current deck plan for the Mercury has the whole of the panorama deck listed as catagory 05, but this changes from April next year to have the midship at catagory 04 and the aft and forward ends at catagory 05. I already pointed this out to my TA, and finally, they can see and book these for me.

OK, nearly there, hopefully tomorrow, I can put this booking experience behind me, and start looking forward to the cruise - only 419 days to go!! :)

Thanks again,

Anthony

Update - I've been waiting all day for my TA to get back to me, he just emailed me...

"I have been onto the wholesalers all day who in turn have been onto Celebrity Revenue Management. Revenue management hasn't as yet been able to confirm the upgrade but have told us they have the matter in hand and will answer as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, this won't be today given the time in Miami."

Is this normal for CC upgrades, that you have to wait a few days to get it confirmed?

When I phoned the CC, they told me straight away I was entitled, and said they could update my booking - but as I live in New Zealand, I have to make the booking through a local TA, who gets the price/availability from his wholesalers, who in turn gets their from the Celebrity agent in NZ, who of course go back to Celebrity in the US :(

So, even though it might not be a great saving (even though they quoted my an extra US$150 for the 1-category upgrade - not sure how they came to that figure, when Celebrity show the figure as $20 for each of the two adults, and nothing for the child), I feel strongly that they should get their act together and get the booking right - after all, it is their job!

Thanks,

Anthony

Did you already book your cruise? If so, the upgrade lower price will need to be approved as the captain's club upgrade is to be used at the time of booking.

Normally to use the upgrade, you pick out your cabin -either oceanview or inside - and pay one category lower's price by giving your captain's club number when you book. This does not work if you pick out the lowest inside or oceanview as there isn't a category lower.

The NZ offices are new and may also still have to pass every rate change via Miami for confirmation and because of the lousy time differance this could take a day or two.

In general however your agent is WRONG because the CC benefits do not exclude any nationality in the fine print. HOWEVER since there is going to be a whole lot of reclassification going on in the cabin catergories and the CC programe being revamped and your cruise being so far in the future THIS could be causing the problem

I have not yet booked, as I wanted them to get the pricing correct before I did. I have told them of the cabin I want (cat 04), and that I also want the pricing of the lower category (cat 05) - this is for oceanview.

I'm not sure where the problem is, I understood that a CC upgrade was sort of automatic when booking, but they are obviously saying that it must go through the process of seeking some sort of approval from the Revenue Dept.

From searching some previous postings, I was under the impression that to get a captains club upgrade of one class (outside to outside in my case), I could book the cabin I wanted, and pay the rate for the lower class (e.g. book 04 and pay for 05).

On another point, they say they are unable to book any midship cabin for me (nothing between forward and aft elevators on panorama deck), as they are all sold! This is for the Mercury Alaska cruise on 19th September 2010, so cannot believe this, and looking at the Celebrity web site, most I check are available. It would therefore appear | am blocked from booking these as I live in NZ, or outside the US?? - anyone know of these rules?

Thanks,

Anthony

Your travel agent dosen't know what he's are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have 31 cruises with Celebrity, and we do just what you want to do book cat 4 and pay the cat 5 rate, as long as it's a lower rate.

Our advice to you is next time you book a cruise find a new travel agent. It sounds to us like your agent is looking out for himself! If he gets you a lower rate he makes less money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Anthony

Your travel agent dosen't know what he's talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have 31 cruises with Celebrity and we do just what you want to do book cat 4 and pay the cat 5 rate, as long as it's a lower rate.

Our advice to you is next time you book a cruise find a new travel agent. It sounds to us like your agent is looking out for himself! If he gets you a lower rate he makes less money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you haven't booked yet, there should be no problem. Don't know why your agent is having trouble.

Why not book it yourself through the captain's club and then if you want to use a TA, you can transfer the booking to them?

OK, I told my travel agent to cancel the hold he had placed for me, and then went to another travel agent, and now I have booked the cabin I wanted and have the free upgrade as per the CC benefits - easy!! :)

Thanks for your confirmation of my understanding of these rules, much appreciated.

Anthony

Since you haven't booked yet, there should be no problem. Don't know why your agent is having trouble.

Why not book it yourself through the captain's club and then if you want to use a TA, you can transfer the booking to them?

As I live in New Zealand, I'm not able to book directly with Celebrity either though the web site or phoning them - I must to go through a local travel agent, I don't really know why this is, as I can book directly with other cruise lines - must be some agreement with RCCL and the local agent here for them.

OK, I told my travel agent to cancel the hold he had placed for me, and then went to another travel agent, and now I have booked the cabin I wanted and have the free upgrade as per the CC benefits - easy!! :)

Thanks for your confirmation of my understanding of these rules, much appreciated.

Anthony

Good for you! Life is too short to work with travel agents who don't know what they're doing.

Anthony

Lucky you, swansnz! Me too am living out of the US and came across the same problem with the local handling agent last week. Instead of arguing with them I emailed to CC and asked them to clarify the upgrade issue. It's not a big saving but since this is what they promised I think they might as well keeping it.

Archived