Port info for Venice

travelgenie

We are on Legends of the Seas in September with an overnight in Venice. Does anyone know if RCCL provides a shuttle to San Marco or anywhere else for that matter. If not, what is the best way to get there, or is it walkable? What is the best way to get to Murano? We leave early the second day (2:30), is that enough time to visit there?

We're just back from Brilliance with a stopover in Venice. There is a shuttle which I would recommend you take as there weren't any watertaxis at the port and the booth to book them was shut. I think it was $35 per person which seemed a lot but we didn't have much choice. A crew member told us you can walk and it's around half an hour but from what I saw it was more like 1 1/2 hours and that's if you don't get lost. I think they used to moor closer to the centre but now they're quite a way away.

We're just back from Brilliance with a stopover in Venice. There is a shuttle which I would recommend you take as there weren't any watertaxis at the port and the booth to book them was shut. I think it was $35 per person which seemed a lot but we didn't have much choice. A crew member told us you can walk and it's around half an hour but from what I saw it was more like 1 1/2 hours and that's if you don't get lost. I think they used to moor closer to the centre but now they're quite a way away.

I'm not sure you can walk 1 1/2 hours in any one direction in Venice without walking out to sea!:) I would prefer the walk to the overpriced shuttle - 30 minutes does sound about right.

Lisa

On our cruise the shuttle was $30 for the 24 hours we were in Venice. We planned to walk and were glad we did, the line for the first shuttle was very long. Who knows how long it took to get people to San Marco. It took 1.5 hours for us to walk to San Marco via the Rialto bridge. We just followed the signs and arrows on the sides of the buildings. We chose not to visit Murano because we felt we didn't have enough time to see the other sites we wanted to see and we didn't leave until 5PM on the second day.

From the port it takes about 15 min to walk out of the port, over the bridge and to the Piazale Roma. From there you can get the vaporettos (water buses) to anywhere in Venice including St Marks Square. The Vaporettos currently cost 6.5 Euros for a single ticket, but they also sell 24, 36, 48 or 72 hour tickets which are a good deal if you plan on seeing much of the area. You can use those vaporettos to go around Venice or to go to the other islands in the Lagoon (Lido, Murano, Burano and Torcello). For those that don't want to walk the few blocks to Piazale Roma there is a local bus 6/ (it must have that slash) that runs from near the port gate over to Piazale Roma.

Hank

Agree with Hlitner, the best introduction to Venice is to take vaporetto no1 from Piazzale Roma ( 15 mins walk from the cruiseship) to San Marco. That way you will get a great overview of Venice and the Grand Canal, rather than meandering through all the little narrow streets following the arrows to San Marco ( St Marks Square). You can then wander back towards Piazalle Roma from San Marco via the Rialto Bridge. Bear in mind that the Grand Canal is only two and half miles long and Vaporetto 1 makes 20 stops, zigzagging across the canal en route to the Lido, so you have plenty of opportunity to hop on and off at any stop along the way. The journey from Piazalle Roma to San Marco on vap1 takes about half an hour and is quite magical, even if the vaporetto will be crowded. The next piece of good news is that there is a vaporetto pulling in every few minutes along the Grand Canal, so don't worry about getting stranded anywhere. I strongly suggest you buy either a 24hr travel card for 18 euros or a 36hr card ( which I will buy) for 23 euros. That permits you unlimited use of the vaporetto during your stay. A single journey ticket is 6 euros, which will work out very expensive if you plan on seeing as much as possible in the time permitted. :)

We will arrive via cruise ship in October around 2:00 pm and will be in Venice overnight until 3:00 pm the next day. This is our second cruise to the Med. Our first time to Venice, we had arranged a small chartered boat to pick up about 30 of us right at the cruise ship and travelled with a guide to Murano and Burrano. I have been unable to find a source to set this up for this trip and would love to know if anyone has a reference for this type of tour. We don't want to do Murano again, just Burano.

Without a tour, we plan to take a vaperetto to Burano the first afternoon as soon as we dock. I have read that we need to take a vaperetto or "water taxi" from Fondamenta Nove to Burano. On my map of Venice, it appears that that Fondamenta Nove is on the opposite side of Venice from the Maritime Cruise Terminal. Carnival provided a ($5) shuttle from the ship to Piazele Roma, where I understand you can buy your tickets or passes for the water taxi. I am trying to find out if that is the closest place to buy the tickets and which route we need to ask for to get to Fondamenta Nova. I would like to record the info in my daily journal, so we don't waste a lot of time getting to the right place.

Hope this helps, Grammytan.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Veneto/Burano-155063/Transportation-Burano-BR-1.html

In short, you don't have to travel to Fond. Nove..........you can take a vaporetto from Lido or Murano to Burano. And obviously you can travel to San Marco from either Lido or Murano in 15 or 10 minutes respectively. Vaporetto 1 travels from Piazale Roma right along the Grand Canal out to Lido, which is infinitely more picturesque than the water taxi route you likely took ( at much greater expense)..........im guessing that headed straight for the lagoon. Lido di Venezia is a very pleasant island in itself.....that's where the Venice Film Festival ( the oldest in the world) is held every year. It also has a fabulous beach, just a 15 minute stroll from the vaporetto stop......right in front of the vap stop on lido is the only proper street on the island and the beach is at the other end of that. The term 'Lido' was actually coined from that beach ( featured in Death In Venice, starring Dirk Bogarde). Hope that offers a solution. :)

Another option is to take the "DM" vaporetto from Piazale Roma direct to Murano and than get the "LN" line from Murano to Burano. We thought this was a bit faster than the more popular Fond Nove.... route.

Hank

Another option is to take the "DM" vaporetto from Piazale Roma direct to Murano and than get the "LN" line from Murano to Burano. We thought this was a bit faster than the more popular Fond Nove.... route.

Hank

If you use the ACTV site route planner, this is the route it chooses and what we plan to do.

• 11 months later...

our cruise was on May 22 and RCI had a shuttle to move passengers between the dock and P Roma before and after the cruise. Other cruiselines had their own shuttles as well. They park about 40 ft in front of the D2 signpost.

our cruise was on May 22 and RCI had a shuttle to move passengers between the dock and P Roma before and after the cruise. Other cruiselines had their own shuttles as well. They park about 40 ft in front of the D2 signpost.

Ours did the same last summer. I can't remember if it was free or not. We walked to P Roma the first day. It is not that far, maybe 15 minutes. We took the bus the second day.

I believe the other shuttle the OP was asking about is a water taxi, not an actual bus. They had those last summer also and it was something like $25. The bad thing about the water taxi by the cruise ships is it does not take the Grand Canal so you miss seeing alot of Venice.

Kirk

We were on the Brilliance last month and just returned 2 weeks ago. We walked from the port to the People Mover which was a relatively short walk. We then took the People mover for one Euro which took us directly to P.Roma. It really helepd to cut down the walking. Once we got to P. Roma, we purchased the 24 hours pass for Vaporetto. We really enjoyed riding the Vaporetto and it was very convenient. It was quite an experience when we bumped into the morning commute with the locals the next morning we were there! We refused to pay RCCL the shuttle fees which we thought was expensive. If you like DIY and are in good shape, you definitely have options.

How much does it cost to take the 6/ Bus to P. Roma from the dock, are the busses frequent ?? have a friend who could not do the walk, altho my DH and I have done it in the past took around 15-20 mins.

No need to take the bus.

Take the people mover instead. It is an overhead tram that goes every few minutes from the port to P Roma. Cost 1 euro; duration of journey 2-3 minutes. there are escalators or elevators at each end. The port station is actually the middle of 3 stations. The ends are Tronchetto and P Roma.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

I have looked at the cruise port map and note several "luggage acceptance" points. Since our ship leaves from Berth 117 we're assuming that we have to take our luggage to the luggage acceptance point in terminal 117. Can the land taxis take us that far into the port area?

Or do they have to drop us near the port entrance, assuming that is near the traffic circle and people mover station, and if that is the case can we leave our luggage at the nearest luggage acceptance point?

How far into the port area does the shuttle bus go, for berth 117? Will that take us any closer than a land taxi?

This is the map I'm looking at....

http://www.vtp.it///terminal/crociere.jsp

Archived