Cruise Critic and Celebrity

Bridge Maven

Which describes your connection between Cruise Critic and Celebrity?  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Which describes your connection between Cruise Critic and Celebrity?

• I participate in roll calls and cruise critic parties on the ship
    • I participate in roll calls but don't got to cruise critic parties
    • I don't participate in roll calls but go to cruise critic parties
    • I don't participate in roll calls or cruise critic parties on the ship
    • I only use cruise critic to research information for my cruises
    • I would like to go to cruise critic parties but travel with people who refuse to go
    • I've planned my dinner table to be with people in my roll call that I have never met
    • I plan shore excursions with people in my roll call who I have never met
    • I have cancelled cruises based on comments I have read on cruise critic
    • I read cruise critic for entertainment but it does not influence my cruising decision

I also didn't know you could pick more than one choice...--

we usually try to join a pre-cruise get together the night before the cruise with some from the board,,,,& also a sailaway party on the disembarkation day! sometimes we also join others for excursions...

on Royal we were seated with 3 couples from the board--they were all travelling togeher so we made 8 at the table--worked out well--never knew if it was pure coincidence or someone grouped us due to cc affiliation..but not sure how they'd know that???

love the Roll Call and Forum. looking forward to meeting cc 'friends' at Connections parties. Learned a lot from Forum about transportation to ship, port info and tours, and Captains Club. Excellent resource. And just fun to read and post on. Friends think I'm an expert on cruising!

Of course some posters aren't fun' and take all this way too seriously. But thats entertaining also.

Denny

When I see a roll call for a cruise I have booked I usually join in. Then as time progresses people in it have a tendency to start posting very personal information about themselves. Once that happens I stop participating because I don't like to post personal information on a very public message board.

That makes it hard when the party is actually held--mostly we gravitate to the people we have exchanged greetings with over time. (chit chat mostly)

don't care for it when one person is on the boards but they have a whole group with them--they ALL sign up for the party but don't participate on the roll call...

I think it is strange lots of people sign up for the CC party but never even say hi on the roll call

I'm one of those people. I sign up for the CC party partly as a courtesy to other CC'ers, to help ensure that the minimum 25 is reached. I rarely, if ever, actually show up for the party. But I freely admit I'm not entirely altruistic either; I think (perhaps incorrectly) that signing up also increases my chances of invitations to something I'm interested in, such as a back scenes tour or dining with an officer. The workings of such invitations remain a mystery to me, and I never know whether one is due to being a suite passenger, an elite, a CC'er, or something totally different -- but I figure it can't hurt to throw one more thing in the pool.

And I skip the parties because, to me, the joy of a cruise is getting away from everything, enjoying scenery, and relaxing -- not socializing with new people. I recognize that other people have a much different take on it, and am glad the opportunity exists for those that do want to socialize.

Doug

But I freely admit I'm not entirely altruistic either; I think (perhaps incorrectly) that signing up also increases my chances of invitations to something I'm interested in, such as a back scenes tour or dining with an officer. The workings of such invitations remain a mystery to me, and I never know whether one is due to being a suite passenger, an elite, a CC'er, or something totally different -- but I figure it can't hurt to throw one more thing in the pool.

When bridge tours were still relatively unusual after the security scares surrounding 9/11 all those who attended the Cruise Critic party were invited to take part in one. We couldn't understand why they were ticking off our names and cabin numbers as we came in, but it then became clear. The bridge tours are now more commonplace, but at the time I was really thrilled to get the invite and enjoyed it.

Phil

I'm one of those people. I sign up for the CC party partly as a courtesy to other CC'ers, to help ensure that the minimum 25 is reached. I rarely, if ever, actually show up for the party. But I freely admit I'm not entirely altruistic either; I think (perhaps incorrectly) that signing up also increases my chances of invitations to something I'm interested in, such as a back scenes tour or dining with an officer. The workings of such invitations remain a mystery to me, and I never know whether one is due to being a suite passenger, an elite, a CC'er, or something totally different -- but I figure it can't hurt to throw one more thing in the pool.

And I skip the parties because, to me, the joy of a cruise is getting away from everything, enjoying scenery, and relaxing -- not socializing with new people. I recognize that other people have a much different take on it, and am glad the opportunity exists for those that do want to socialize.

Doug

I did overlook the need to get to the required number, so I guess we would be grateful to those who sign on to help us and do not chat.....but it would be nice to meet them anyhow....Must confess that sometimes on a very nice day I won't give up my pool lounge to go to the party! usually send DH or vice versa...

By the way--do they still have cruise critic log books on board the ships these days? ...used to sign them at at the parties but have not seen one in quite awhile..

When I see a roll call for a cruise I have booked I usually join in. Then as time progresses people in it have a tendency to start posting very personal information about themselves. Once that happens I stop participating because I don't like to post personal information on a very public message board.

Totally agree......they form little cyber-cliques and begin to talk about things that are quite personal.....family members and illnesses seem to be favorites, with hometowns, weather where they live, likes/dislikes, and so on not far behind. I have found myself caught up in that, but lately I've decided that, when the roll call reaches that point, it's time for me to disappear.....

Totally agree......they form little cyber-cliques and begin to talk about things that are quite personal.....family members and illnesses seem to be favorites, with hometowns, weather where they live, likes/dislikes, and so on not far behind. I have found myself caught up in that, but lately I've decided that, when the roll call reaches that point, it's time for me to disappear.....

The roll call for my next cruise actually STARTED that way - it started WAY in advance of the cruise date and was full of people chit-chatting about the weather, how much snow they had, what they were doing for Christmas - OMG!! And half of those people have since cancelled and are not going (but sometimes they remain "on" the thread just to talk personal talk). OMG again!!

But, that said, the rolls calls are an absolutely priceless resource.

Archived