Azamara "Passages " Not Open To Everyone

TRIANDA

:mad:We recently returned from a lovely cruise on "Quest" Best Of Italy itinerary. A repeat cruise which we sailed in April 2008.

Whilst on board on several occasions we received information to join the New Flexible Programme "Celebrity Passages". After speaking to the Cruise Sales Manager and her taking our full details, we were informed that our credit card would be debited for the amount discussed, to take advantage of the On board Credits on a future cruise.

We later received a telephone message to return to her desk.

The following morning we were informed that we could not take advantage of this offer as we were UK Residents!. This was not stated on the form ( of which we have a copy). In fact it does mention that once a cruise is booked different criteria is set out for NON US or Canadian residents, but nowhere does it mention Europeans cannot join this scheme. The Sales Manager did contact the USA office, for them to confirm that this is not on offer to us! Since arriving home we have telephoned the Celebrity UK office and Celebrity USA, both state that the UK and other Europeans cannot take advantage of this offer even though it is constantly advertised on the ship! So I ask what scheme is in place for us? There should be no disparity and this should be a level playing field, after all these ships are deployed in Europe . I have sent an e-mail to RCCL on 14th July and written to the new CEO of Azamara on 26th July awaiting replies.

I wouldn't assume it's the cruise line's "fault" until I had all the facts. There may be legal, regulatory or financial issues which make it impractical or impossible to extend this offer beyond its current limits. I don't think they are intending to be "unfair"--they're in the hospitality business, after all.

In fact it does mention that once a cruise is booked different criteria is set out for NON US or Canadian residents, but nowhere does it mention Europeans cannot join this scheme.

If it states NON US RESIDENTS would that not include Europeans or any other Country ?

Lyn

Whatever the reason, legal, regulatory or financial, that is the question I am asking of the Cruise Line. The wording is inconsistent. It needs clarification for all cruisers.

I wouldn't assume it's the cruise line's "fault" until I had all the facts. There may be legal, regulatory or financial issues which make it impractical or impossible to extend this offer beyond its current limits. I don't think they are intending to be "unfair"--they're in the hospitality business, after all.

Hi Lyn, that is the reason why we queried the policy. As on the flyer sent to each stateroom no mention was made that this Azamara "Passages" was only available to US residents and Canadians, and on the sheet of paper given by the Sales Manager it states, the wording concerning different criteria for Non US Residents and Non Canadian for deposit and cancellation policy, so we thought that includes Europeans and other residents of other countries outside of Europe.

The Sales Manager herself could not understand hence her phone call to the USA.

If it states NON US RESIDENTS would that not include Europeans or any other Country ?

Lyn

Hi Lyn, that is the reason why we queried the policy. As on the flyer sent to each stateroom no mention was made that this Azamara "Passages" was only available to US residents and Canadians, and on the sheet of paper given by the Sales Manager it states, the wording concerning different criteria for Non US Residents and Non Canadian for deposit and cancellation policy, so we thought that includes Europeans and other residents of other countries outside of Europe.

The Sales Manager herself could not understand hence her phone call to the USA.

I guess I am confused.:eek:

Did it give the different criteria or is that the complaint?

If you are non US resident then you are a resident of another country.

In the UK I believe (you can correct me if wrong) you do not get a refund directly from the cruise line you must apply for it through insurance:confused:

Is that correct?

Lyn

Hi Lyn,

The Celebrity/Azamara Flyer related to a "new flexible onboard programme which enables guests to secure on board credit benefit for your next cruise which you may choose at a later date, by paying a reduced deposit of $100 per person for any ship or sailing date".

No mention of offer confined to specific residents, of any country.

The paper given by the Sales Cruise Manager mentions cancellation policies for non US or Canadians of which we understand.

Our question to Azamara is why is the offer not available to all cruise guests? .

On neither the flyer or Cruise Sales Sheet did it state any country was excluded.

Re cancellation if we needed to cancel and had only paid the deposit in giving enough notice before final payment, we could transfer the deposit to another cruise.

If after final payment due and applicable then we would claim on the insurance.

I guess I am confused.:eek:

Did it give the different criteria or is that the complaint?

If you are non US resident then you are a resident of another country.

In the UK I believe (you can correct me if wrong) you do not get a refund directly from the cruise line you must apply for it through insurance:confused:

Is that correct?

Lyn

If this "lady" is the same one we had on the asian trip well then her "misunderstanding" of this issue isn't the only thing she screwed up. Or let me put it this way - it is another situation she was unable to clearly explain.

We were waiting for our appointment when she told french guests that they could make an individual booking and then have that transfered into a group booking in order to get their OBC. Now I happen to know for a fact that that isn't possible here on the continent. Group bookings and indiviual bookings cannot be mixed.

When we go to her desk I pointed out to her that I had heard her give that info to this couple and to please recheck her info before she set them up for trouble. She basically brushed me off telling me she had been doing this for 4 years....

You should have seen the look on my face when I happened to meet this couple again at her desk 4 days later. They had contacted their agent who told them that this could not be done and they were most upset even suggesting. The man even went as far as to asking if this sort of rip off was common practice - he then went ahead and told her to cancel the option he was going to book elsewhere!

To my way of thinking there is discrimination on Celebrity, haven't yet experienced Azamara. US residents (on X) can cancel a cruise and have their deposit refunded by the cruiseline. UK residents (and I assume all other non-US residents) do not have the benefit of this. If we cancel we lose our deposit. Claiming on travel insurance is only valid for medical reasons mostly. Travel insurance does not cover a change of mind. I have heard/read that on X some US residents book a few cruises way in advance and then make up their minds which cruise they would like to take. I have no problem with this but it should be the same for all. I fail to understand why this discrimination is allowed in this day and age. That's my rant over.

I'm with you all the way 1irisheyes! It is so unfair. Even if we wanted to upgrade to another stateroom, it would actually mean a cancellation of our first booking (and losing the deposit) and a rebooking of the superior grade. Now how stupid is that?:)

I am afraid this has been the case on Celebrity and Azamara since the start of the passages programme. A question was asked of Richard Fain (President) at the naming of Celebrity Equinox on that very issue and the response was they would be looking at the whole UK proposition, but that they had to consider a number of issues in this including legal and ABTA. It is also the case that UK passengers cannot cancel without penalty whereas others can.

I do agree a little more sensitive marketing on board might make it less painful

If this "lady" is the same one we had on the asian trip well then her "misunderstanding" of this issue isn't the only thing she screwed up. Or let me put it this way - it is another situation she was unable to clearly explain.

We were waiting for our appointment when she told french guests that they could make an individual booking and then have that transfered into a group booking in order to get their OBC. Now I happen to know for a fact that that isn't possible here on the continent. Group bookings and indiviual bookings cannot be mixed.

When we go to her desk I pointed out to her that I had heard her give that info to this couple and to please recheck her info before she set them up for trouble. She basically brushed me off telling me she had been doing this for 4 years....

You should have seen the look on my face when I happened to meet this couple again at her desk 4 days later. They had contacted their agent who told them that this could not be done and they were most upset even suggesting. The man even went as far as to asking if this sort of rip off was common practice - he then went ahead and told her to cancel the option he was going to book elsewhere!

AZ isn't 4 years old, so she has been getting by with misinformation with other lines, too.:rolleyes:

We sailed HAL last year and found the "information" about 2 of 5 ports caused us to stay on board when I would have liked to get off for a while and see the country.:(

We're UK residents and have cruised with Princess and booked a future cruise on board, including obc and reduced deposit. Surely if Princess can do this other US companies should do the same.

I agree that it should be a level playing field re deposits, cancelling etc. these companies want our business but at a greater cost to us than US passengers.

Val

Archived