Problems with room class guaranty?

Waltzing Reg

My wife and I are booked on a cruise with a room class guaranty. This is the first cruise we have accepted a guaranty rather than a specific room. Has any one ever had problems with a class guaranty, such as being bumped from the cruise or with the cruise line trying to put you in a room not as good as the room for which you had a guaranty? Thanks.

We had a cruise on RCI (Legend of the Seas) from Tampa, FL to Western Carribean in Nov. 2005. However, we had not booked until June or July.

The only way to get a balcony cabin was to accept the guaranty. We had no problems with getting a balcony cabin and the location was pretty good. So I hope your guaranty will work out as well.

Next cruise:

Oasis of the Seas, January 16, 2010

Previous cruises:

Tahitian Princess, Tahiti & French Polynesia, Oct. 2008 - 10 nights

Legend of the Seas, Western Caribbean, Nov. 2005 - 7 nights

Splendor of the Seas, European cruise with Pre-Paris and Post-London, May/June/2000 - 12 nights

Nordic Empress, Bermuda, June 1999 - 7 nights

Legend of the Seas, Panal Canal Cruise from Acapulco, March 1997 - 10 nights

Independence, America Hawaii Cruises, Hawaii, July 1990 - 7 nights

Carnivale, Bahamas, 1985 - 3 nights

Sunward, NCL, Bahamas, June 1970 - 3 nights

You will get AT LEAST the catagory that you paid for, and usually for LESS than you would have paid if you picked your cabin. If you have a balcony gty, then any balcony will be great.....

If you book an inside gty, then you may get the lowest deck in the farthest spot possible....it's the chance you take for cruising for less!

We have had nothing but good luck when booking guarantees and have used it almost exclusively for the last couple of years. As mentioned above the worst you are going to get is whatever guaranteed level of cabin you paid for but in our case we have always been upgraded sometimes really nice upgrades. On an RCL transatlantic cruise we went from an outside cabin to a balcony hump cabin. Recently we have went from balcony guarantee to BA or VA balcony cabins on much better locations on the ship.

We just booked a last minute sort of Disney cruise and did an outside cabin assigment but made sure our TA knew we would accept an upgrade over the assigned outside stateroom we have been given.

Have a great next cruise in your guaranteed hopefully upgraded cabin.

One problem with booking a guarantee is that not all cabins within the same category are equally desirable. For example one cabin may be in a nice quiet location while another one may be under a noisy public area.

On the other hand, you may luck out and get free upgrade but that is unlikely if the ship is sailing at full capacity.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I are booked on a cruise with a room class guaranty. This is the first cruise we have accepted a guaranty rather than a specific room. Has any one ever had problems with a class guaranty, such as being bumped from the cruise or with the cruise line trying to put you in a room not as good as the room for which you had a guaranty? Thanks.

Sorry to post this, but the 2 cruises I booked with guarantee SUCKED! The first was on the Grand Princess, got the Aloha deck very last balcony on the end. The second was on Celebrity Solstice, got a obstructed balcony !

I think guarantee only works if you book far ahead, both ours were last minute deals. Also I am picky with my balconies, so I would rather pay and get what I want now... instead of agonsing over it.

• 2 weeks later...

My son and DIL booked a gty oceanview and got a handicapped cabin all the way in the front of the ship. The window looked out to the deck with the ocean beyond that. Also there were twin beds that could not be pushed together.

We've booked guarantees 6 times and have been pleased with the results: 4 upgrades to a higher category; one in the same category; and one that is yet to be determined.

To us, the key is to pick a category in which there is no cabin that will be unsatisfactory to us, if we wind up being assigned to a cabin in that category. For instance, we do homework by looking at the deck plans to determine what is above and below the cabins in the category we are considering.

So far, so good!:)

My son and DIL booked a gty oceanview and got a handicapped cabin all the way in the front of the ship. The window looked out to the deck with the ocean beyond that. Also there were twin beds that could not be pushed together.

this sounds like Carnival??? If so, those 6B cabins have all been recategorized as inside cabins, so this cant happen again.

I think guarantee only works if you book far ahead, both ours were last minute deals. Also I am picky with my balconies, so I would rather pay and get what I want now... instead of agonsing over it.

it depends on how last minute you were with the booking- if after final payment is due-- most of the good stuff is already booked or given away as a guarantee-

I would NEVER book a guarantee at the last minute for just that reason

Archived