Australians get a poor deal from Princess

MMDown Under

The following is a letter to the Editor of the Sydney Morning Herald in today's paper -

Australians pay penalty

"Two months ago, I was planning a European holiday for my wife and I to follow a visit to family in Devon, England. Through the Internet and with online assistance from a travel agency in England, I identified a 13 day eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Ruby Princess, operated by Princess Cruises.

The quoted price for a balcony cabin was 1659 pounds ($3350 Aus) a person, including connecting flights between London and Italy.

However, when the English agent attempted to make the booking they were advised by Princess Cruises they were not allowed to book Australian nationals, who are required to book through an Australian travel agent.

Inquiries in Australia resulted in a "best price" of $4950 Aus. a person for the same cruise and same cabin class, but with no air transfers. The extra cost of about $3000 for a couple seems to be an unreasonable penalty for Australian travellers.

We rejected the Ruby Princess and went with another line.

During our stay in London I also noted that London to Sydney flights were available for less than 600 pounds, some as low as 400 pounds. With the exchange rate in June of $2.02 to the British pound, these prices are remarkably cheaper than any offered from Australia.

The Australian traveller seems to be getting a poor deal."

The highlighting is mine.

Fortunately, the writer chose another cruise line.

It is about time that Princess and the cruise industry understand that Australians, no longer naive, are spreading the word of this discrimination, by word of mouth.

There is definitely discrimination -depending on where you live. I contacted Princess this morning to get a price on a cruise for next year US to OZ and they couldn't give me a price as it "wasn't out yet". :confused: I rang US and got a price over the phone - go figure! :rolleyes: I know people say this is a "business decision", but a cabin filled is a cabin filled in any language.

We are from downunder but not from Aussie and we always leave our auto tips on and tip our waiters and stewards extra. Why because we apreciate the service we are given and we know how the system works. We think of it a bit like going to a foreign country and having the courtesy of learning at least the basics of the language.

Sad thing is we don't have a ship based down here permanetly so most of the time we have to fly somewhere to get on a ship. Maybe MMdownunder it is actually us in NZ who pay the penalty and not you in Aussie.

Let us pay the same price as US (low) and we will be more inclined to tip.

At the moment we pay a lot more, then even more because of the exchange rate (if travelling in US) and then even more because of the gratuities. How is that fair?

So give us the same prices and us Aussies, Kiwis and Brits can stop whinging and we can be treated the same as you Americans.

Before you say anything, I think it is pretty taken for granted that if we are travelling overseas to US then we tip because that is the custom. Have you ever been to Australia and enjoyed the fact that you don't have to tip. Knowing that the workers aren't losing out because they get paid well in the first place.

No-one will win in this debate re tipping. Different customs.

Okay I can't let this go, here is a solution.

Why don't we have pricing that is fair to us Aussies

eg: closer to US pricing and make Hotel and service charge compulsory.

Why not have a cruise fare advertised and have gratuities pre paid.

This would be fair for everyone, staff would not leave, staff would be happy, I can get a better price and I could get on with the job at hand, CRUISING.

Linda

Linda there is no point getting steamed up, it's just a numbers game, there are far more people in the Northern Hemisphere. We could be having this same discussion about airfares.

No, it is not just a numbers game. The original poster was talking about a cruise in Europe - nothing to do with being from the US, Australia or outer space. But because he (and we) are Australian, Princess decides we HAVE to book in Australia, regardless of where we are cruising.

And no again, we couldn't be having this discussion about airfares right now because we in Australia have some fantastic airfare deals - that is just a furphy about numbers in this situation.

Linda, I will join you in steaming .... it is so frustrating. Your solution is obvious - not rocket science, but no-one gets it.

Beryl

Linda

Noticed the cruises you have been on. Loved Sitmar, loved the Sun Princess cruise to India/Asia/Africa in May.

I have always paid the automatic tips on Princess-I welcome our US brothers and sisters to Australia where they can travel throughout the continent and not pay a penny tip as workers throughout the tourist industry (and country) are paid at least statutory minimum and quite liveable wages. No exploitation of workers is allowed.

Seems to me that cruise lines in general have a Base cruise rate for the USA and then that rate increases depending on where you live in the world! .... the UK gets a bad deal out of Princess on many routes, though there are sometimes good deals to be had for cruise only if you are prepared to get your own flights.

The stupidity of not allowing the OP to book through a TA in the UK is bemusing to say the least but in the end it comes down to money!

Seems to me that cruise lines in general have a Base cruise rate for the USA and then that rate increases depending on where you live in the world! .... the UK gets a bad deal out of Princess on many routes, though there are sometimes good deals to be had for cruise only if you are prepared to get your own flights.

The stupidity of not allowing the OP to book through a TA in the UK is bemusing to say the least but in the end it comes down to money!

Yes, it does come down to money and in the case of the letter in the OP's post, Princess lost out on the money side as the cruiser decided to take their hard earned cash to another line. What kind of business sense is there in that?

Yes, it does come down to money and in the case of the letter in the OP's post, Princess lost out on the money side as the cruiser decided to take their hard earned cash to another line. What kind of business sense is there in that?

Maybe we need to change cruise lines and go to the lines that don't discriminate.

I have booked our next Princess cruise thro a US travel agent with no problems at all. What I do object about though, is not just the price we pay for our cruises but the terms and conditions that go along with the inflated prices.

We pay much higher deposits in Aus, pay more for the cruise, and the cancelation penalties are higher also. Why should this be the case:confused:

In 8 cruises booked in Aus I have never received an upgrade, however booking in the US I received a great upgrade:confused:.

Would I book a cruise in Aus again. NO:cool:.

I have booked our next Princess cruise thro a US travel agent with no problems at all. What I do object about though, is not just the price we pay for our cruises but the terms and conditions that go along with the inflated prices.

We pay much higher deposits in Aus, pay more for the cruise, and the cancelation penalties are higher also. Why should this be the case:confused:

In 8 cruises booked in Aus I have never received an upgrade, however booking in the US I received a great upgrade:confused:.

Would I book a cruise in Aus again. NO:cool:.

Not to mention the price drops that they get that we don't!

Not to mention the price drops that they get that we don't!

Yes how could I forget the price drops:mad:.

Dare I also mention that the Princess ships that cruise out of Aus(which they market as Premium Cruising!!!) are also substandard to the Princess ships that cruise out of the US.

Yes we do get a raw deal compared to our friends in the States.:cool::cool:

Yes how could I forget the price drops:mad:.

Dare I also mention that the Princess ships that cruise out of Aus(which they market as Premium Cruising!!!) are also substandard to the Princess ships that cruise out of the US.

Yes we do get a raw deal compared to our friends in the States.:cool::cool:

Well I am soon to find out - I will be on the Coral in Feb. I will see how it stacks up against the Sun.

Followng your comments Liz.

We recently cruised on the Sun Princess to Asia/India/Africa from Fremantle. We spoke to a member of the cruise director's staff who said Princess was primarily for the American passenger and that the two Princess ships now operating permanently out of Australia were purposely sent down to Australia because the American passenger would not now accept the substandard quality of those two ships.

Obviously Princess believes that Australians will accept lower standards than our US friends.

After cruising to Japan earlier this year on the Dawn Princess and then to Africa on the Sun Princess, both of which cruises were to me below what I expected, I have decided to switch to HAL as the Volendam (which I have also cruised on) is far ahead as far as overall quality.

That aside I do wonder why Princess and others charge so much more for non US citizens. Anyone know why?

I think just because they got away with it.

In the past many Australians, who didn't cruise often because of the high cost, just paid the brochure price asked.

Eg If the author of the letter to the editor hadn't been refused permission to buy his cruise from his UK travel agent, he'd never have know just how much the difference in cost (over $3000) was for the same European Cruise via a UK agent versus an Australian travel agent.

The Internet has changed that situation forever.

I think it would be a good investment for the cruise industry to research how many Australians feel about the cruise industry's treatment of Australians.

In these difficult economic times, there is a market just waiting to be tapped.

Australians -

• like a fair go
  • love to travel
  • are hard working people, who enjoy life and love a holiday
  • get 4 weeks' annual leave per year
  • get 5 weeks' annual leave per year (if working in the outback)
  • get long service leave, which can be taken pro rata, after 10 years.
    Plus many retire early, with the time and money to travel.

Now wouldn't you think the Cruise Industry would be trying to improve their bottom line by treating these potential customers fairly?

I think just because they got away with it.

In the past many Australians, who didn't cruise often because of the high cost, just paid the brochure price asked.

Eg If the author of the letter to the editor hadn't been refused permission to buy his cruise from his UK travel agent, he'd never have know just how much the difference in cost (over $3000) was for the same European Cruise via a UK agent versus an Australian travel agent.

The Internet has changed that situation forever.

I think it would be a good investment for the cruise industry to research how many Australians feel about the cruise industry's treatment of Australians.

In these difficult economic times, there is a market just waiting to be tapped.

Australians -

• like a fair go
  • love to travel
  • are hard working people, who enjoy life and love a holiday
  • get 4 weeks' annual leave per year
  • get 5 weeks' annual leave per year (if working in the outback)
  • get long service leave, which can be taken pro rata, after 10 years.
    Plus many retire early, with the time and money to travel.

Now wouldn't you think the Cruise Industry would be trying to improve their bottom line by treating these potential customers fairly?

Do you know if other non US citizens besides Aussies are similarly charged and is this practice the same on other mass market lines? I wonder what pricing structures the premium lines have such as Crystal, Regent, etc. Now I'm really curious about this. I think I'll call on Monday (its Sat. here) and ask the various MM lines about how much an Aussie "friend" would have to pay to join us on some future cruise. ;)

Both the UK and Europe along with Australia get very different rates and terms to those enjoyed in the USA

Being able to cancel penalty free right up to final payment is a real bonus for the USA which is denied to the rest

Princess has indeed sent substandard ships down to what is technically PandO Australia only they market them under the Princess banner

Sailing on the Sun and the Dawn even before they were altered for the worse for the Australian market was something I would not repeat

The Auto tip is a problem that needs sorting out fast because irrespective of tipping policy in various countries currently if you get a lousy cabin or appalling service etc from Princess its a waste of time complaining to Head Office or Pursers desk hence many people will see removal of the "hotel charge" as their only redress with Princess

The double standard is really bothersome. I realize that this is a practice with Princess, but is this practice standard with other cruiselines? Are there any cruiselines that have a standard rate for a cruise that is honored for everyone regardless of their home address or country of residence?

Let's all just assume for a moment that everyone from Down Under and the UK and any other countries that get "unfair" pricing decide to not book with cruiselines that operate this policy and go to others that do not discriminate. (being a newbie who has learnt a lot since I made my booking naively back in May, this is certainly something that I would research should I get hooked on this cruising malarkey :))

This would mean that Princess ships would either sail with some cabins empty (not good business sense) or else be filled with those customers, from the US, who do get fair pricing.

In the latter scenario, the line would make the same amount of money (excluding all the extras that are paid for) as if they just went ahead and offered the same pricing rates to anyone, regardless of where they happen to live.

So, perhaps I'm missing something here, why don't they just go ahead and give everyone fair pricing in the first place? :confused:

I agree about the comment being stereotypical. You can't paint all with one stroke from the same brush. Phillip (if you are still here) what about the auto tip? This was put in place a long time ago to insure that staff get their money. Are you saying Aussies as a group have it removed or that they don't ADD to it at the end of the cruise? I agree that staff on a ship work very hard and that cruise cos. keep their costs down by having a wage structure that attracts workers from countries with underdeveloped economies. For these workers the money they receive is quite good COMPARED to what they would be getting in their own lands. Sorry Phillip but this is just basic economics. That aside I do wonder why Princess and others charge so much more for non US citizens. Anyone know why?

They do it because they can. They cannot do it with US passengers because they are the bulk of their passengers and if they stopped cruising with Princess then the company would go broke. So, they make sure that US passengers get the best terms and the lowest fares and make up their money by charging UK and Australian/NZ passengers proportionately more - just my own opinion of course:mad:

Archived