Soft Side cooler question

pknapper

We will be taking our first cruise next year but have a question. I own many soft sided coolers and see lots of posts about packing them and using them in your cabin to keep drinks and such cold. Every soft side cooler I own tends to get soggy and soak through when it sits for long periods of time with ice in them, which is why they are packed away in the basement. Do any of you have the same problem, how do you get around this, or do I just have cheap coolers?

Patti :confused:

We will be taking our first cruise next year but have a question. I own many soft sided coolers and see lots of posts about packing them and using them in your cabin to keep drinks and such cold. Every soft side cooler I own tends to get soggy and soak through when it sits for long periods of time with ice in them, which is why they are packed away in the basement. Do any of you have the same problem, how do you get around this, or do I just have cheap coolers?

Patti :confused:

RCI - and I would assume most other lines - provide a refrigerator in each stateroom. It obvioulsy is filled with "honor bar" stuff, but you can move that asside or ask the room steward to remove it altogether. The cooler should not be necessary to bring, unless you want to use it eslewhere on the ship during at sea days, etc. But any beverage you purchase on board will be cold - and most lines restrict what you can bring on board with you at embarkation and from ports of call. You should maybe check with your TA or the cruise line for more info on this to be certain.

Since you can only bring on sodas/water (no beer!), you really don't need a cooler. The fridge in the room will take the "heat" off your drinks, and ice is readily available.

I wouldn't fool with a cooler....too much trouble emptying the melted ice, refilling....

My soft sided cooler also leaks. I just line it with a couple of plastic trash bags or use zip lock bags for the ice. I’m thinking about taking it on our upcoming Panama cruise not only for use in our cabin but also because we are staying in a hotel three nights pre-cruise. We enjoy a cold one or two after a day of sightseeing, etc.

I love my soft side cooler as its so easy to pack. I put ice IN zip lock bags, often doubled. Then will wrap a wash cloth or hand towel around those to absorb any sweat. We even have taken lunch ashore in it. On last November's cruise which started in Philly we took Amtrac there. Had our lunch and dinner in it!.

It's been my experience that many of the refrigerators in the rooms don't keep things very cold and I like my drinks COLD! I do have a soft side that doesn't leak - think the older they get, the more they leak. I do like to line with a plastic bag to avoid possible leaks. An extra tip to your room steward at the beginning of the cruise should keep your cooler stocked with ice for the duration of the cruise! Remember - you will probably need to pack it in your suitcase - I think most cruise lines have a size limit for coolers.

Some cruise lines do NOT provide a refrigerator unless you are booked in a much higher category of cabin. If you are in the cheap seats, you may not have one. Costco carries (at least during the summer months) a wonderful cooler that will not leak, has rollers with handle, and folds right down to almost nothing. It runs around $30.

Check with your cruiseline to see if you will have a refrigerator or not.

Cheers,

Archived