PG being sold again?

Travelcat2

Travelcat2:

I can't access the site you posted for the life of me. I had to register on that site, and wait for an email -- that never came. This may be the reason so few have posted on this interesting thread.

Thank you for letting me know of this problem. I apparently cannot link it and it's against the rules to copy and paste. Do not think they are any rules against telling about it.

Apparently the owner of Vantage Travel is closing a deal with Dick Bailey of Tahiti Beachomber SA (owner of InterContinental Bora Bora resort) There has been problems with the deal but it now appears that it will go through.

The Executive Vice President of Vantage, recently left the company.

They want to keep the PG in Tahiti, however, the future of the PG is uncertain.

That's all I know at the moment:)

P.S. In response to an earlier post, I seriously doubt if the staff is aware of what is going on at this point. Hopefully it will work out for them.

I saw an article about this about Fox news online. Looks like the cruise line was acquired. The head of PG Cruises does say that "The m/s Paul Gauguin is a very successful ship,..As we approach 2010, it will be business as usual, with no changes to our award-winning inclusive product, our dedicated officers and crew members, or our support of travel sellers worldwide, and we see many opportunities to enhance an already world-class experience for our guests." This at least suggests that they will try to keep the same staff.

Prior to the sale, a former Regent employee was part of the team that was going to run the PG. He was going to insure that the standards were kept up. I'm sure the new team has high expectations and hope they are successful.

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked on the January 6, 2010 sailing through Paul Gauguin Cruises. I spoke at length last week with two representatives of PG Cruises who likened the relationship of Pacific Beachcomber to PG Cruises as that of Regent to Vantage. Pacific Beachcomber did not buy the ship(as stated in the press); they are taking over the day to day operations of the ship.

It seems that there was a huge problem with travel agents not being paid commission by PG Cruises so with Pacific Beachcomber taking over the TA's will now be receiving commissions which will probably ensure more bookings. PG Cruises has been very lovely to deal with although they do not seem to have answers right away to my questions. This is my fifth trip on the PG and I do not like to feel like I possess more information than those I am booking with. Perhapsd David Morris and Marilyn Conroy's involvement with PG will help things along.

We have stayed at the IC and found that the service level was not up to the standard that we experienced on the PG. I hope that the management understands this and works to keep the wonderful crew in place and providing the same wonderful service. Also, the new management company needs to keep the budget up so that the passengers can continue to enjoy the wonderful meals as before. I say this as a passenger returning for her 4 PG cruise in 4 years.

Good grief yes, I sure hope that IC doesn't run the ship like they run their hotel!

If they don't keep the way the ship has run mostly intact, it won't be the same experience, and it will be like being on a different ship.

If the ship hasn't been sold, why does this article say it has? And what does this have to do with the way commissions reach TA's?

Archived