First time cruiser with some questions

sassy5683

I sure hope some of the seasoned cruisers look at the board!

We don't have any set in stone plans yet but we are looking to go on a Carnival cruise in either Jan or Feb of 2010. The price as most know is cheaper during this time. And since we home school we can choose to take a vacation any time of the year we choose. We are looking to leave out of Galveston and go to Cozumel, Cayman Island, and Jamaica.

My hubby has been on a cruise once. Over ten years ago. The rest of us have never been and are really excited.

I would like to know more about camp carnival my kids are...or will be at the time 8 and 7. Are there a lot of kids on board the ship this age at this time of year? Do they still have the activities going for the kids at this time or do they shut all of that down during the off season?

Since we are a single income family we don't have tons of $$$ to use for the excursions but while in different areas we still want to do something that will be well worth the money we do spend and be able to bring back lots of memories. Hubby wants to see Mayan ruins while in Cozumel are there any excursions that will make this fun for the kids and not just a bunch of talking where I am constantly telling them to shh and be still? I want them to have fun but don't want to bother others around us. I know that kids can be annoying all people can! But I want my hubby to get to do what he wants to do without us having to split up also this is about FAMILY FUN not each doing their own thing. I have heard that the snorkeling is the best in Cayman so I am guessing that is what we will do there anything else that is a MUST do at Cozumel or at Cayman island? I haven't heard anything for Jamaica yet. What is the must do thing there? I was looking a few weeks ago at the bobsled thing but I don't think that they will let my daughter do it I think you had to be older. Please whatever excursion ideas keep in mind that we will have a 7 and 8 year old with us and they want to have fun too.

I am sure there were OTHER questions in floating in my head a while ago but I guess they went out the window or something because I can't find them now....but I guess I can always add to this thread later.

I am still learning this site so if I have this in the wrong place please forgive me!

Have you tried the Carnival Board for specific questions about camp carnival? Read first; ask Qs if you don't find the answer.

Each port has its own board on the Ports of Call section. They will be the best guide. Most countries have tourism websites that may help.

If your kids can search, perhaps a lesson can include letting them find an educational excursion that they find interesting. My educator brain sees so many exciting avenues for learning with this special trip -- tides, fish, culture, time zones . . . the possibiliies go on & on. :)

We don't have any set in stone plans yet but we are looking to go on a Carnival cruise in either Jan or Feb of 2010. The price as most know is cheaper during this time. And since we home school we can choose to take a vacation any time of the year we choose. We are looking to leave out of Galveston and go to Cozumel, Cayman Island, and Jamaica.

My hubby has been on a cruise once. Over ten years ago. The rest of us have never been and are really excited.

I would like to know more about camp carnival my kids are...or will be at the time 8 and 7. Are there a lot of kids on board the ship this age at this time of year? Do they still have the activities going for the kids at this time or do they shut all of that down during the off season?

Since we are a single income family we don't have tons of $$$ to use for the excursions but while in different areas we still want to do something that will be well worth the money we do spend and be able to bring back lots of memories. Hubby wants to see Mayan ruins while in Cozumel are there any excursions that will make this fun for the kids and not just a bunch of talking where I am constantly telling them to shh and be still? I want them to have fun but don't want to bother others around us. I know that kids can be annoying all people can! But I want my hubby to get to do what he wants to do without us having to split up also this is about FAMILY FUN not each doing their own thing. I have heard that the snorkeling is the best in Cayman so I am guessing that is what we will do there anything else that is a MUST do at Cozumel or at Cayman island? I haven't heard anything for Jamaica yet. What is the must do thing there? I was looking a few weeks ago at the bobsled thing but I don't think that they will let my daughter do it I think you had to be older. Please whatever excursion ideas keep in mind that we will have a 7 and 8 year old with us and they want to have fun too.

I am sure there were OTHER questions in floating in my head a while ago but I guess they went out the window or something because I can't find them now....but I guess I can always add to this thread later.

I am still learning this site so if I have this in the wrong place please forgive me!

Hi there,

You may want to call Carnival directly to see if Camp Carnival will be operating at that time. While there might be a few kids on board, there may only be limited activities due to the fact most kids are in regular school so there's no need to have a lot of extra counselors on board. I'm sure your kids will also be enjoying the pool with its large slides - that's always fun! I'm assuming you'll be on the Carnival Conquest correct? We were on that ship in 11/07 and we had a great time. Our son was 18 at the time so we didn't have to worry about teen activities since he's considered an adult. Try to also look for excursions on your own rather than from the ship - you can find many vendors alongside where the ship will dock more than willing to sell you one of their tours and for a lot less than the cruise line! Good luck!

I can't really give you any info on Camp Carnival other than the kids I have talked to seem to love it.

I went on this cruise in July with my husband.

As for excursions:

In Jamaica...

most seem to do Dunn's River Fall's. You will have to research to know if your kids can handle this. To save money you can hire a tour guide instead of booking through the cruise. The Fall's only cost $15 per person and you can stay all day of you wish and hang out at the beach on the bottom of the falls. Your guide can also take you to eat Jerk Chicken which is a Jamaican recipe.

You may also just want to hang out at the beach such as Dr. Cave beach which only cost $5.00 and is basically in the middle of town. Across the street from the beach is shopping and place to eat.

Caymen Islands...

most will do the stingrays and your kids will probably love it. There is also 7 mile beach which is free and lots of other things to choose from.

Cozumel...

Don't really know about the ruins tours.

The best thing to do is go to the PORTS OF CALL discussion board under Western Carribean and click on each port. You will find out so much more on that board.

Have fun investigating...it was some of the most fun for me!

the camp will operate---there are ALWAYS kids onboard---folks take them out of school, there are "home-schoolers"....there WILL be kids!

Get a guidebook on your ports----there are sooooo many things to do that do NOT require you to pay for an excursion, but research is needed! Read a guidebook!

Don't worry about your kids "bothering" others---this is a family vacation, and folks who book Carnival EXPECT kids.....don't worry about that!

They have a Mayan ruins tour on Cozumel but it really is not worth it. The best ruins are on the peninsula across from the island and a 45 minute ferry ride followed by several hours on a bus just to get there. Most cruise lines have abolished the trip. I would recommend going to one of the beaches which is inexpensive (take a taxi). the beaches will charge an entrance fee good for the whole day. This is what most pax do other than going shopping.

The best inexpensive activity on GC is going to the beach and snorkeling. You can also go to sting ray city if you want to be very close to sting rays (safe I promise). If you want to go to 7 mile beach, take a taxi. You don't need to do a tour which is more expensive for the same thing.

When you go to Jamaica be sure to only go on an organized tour and stay with the group. The top trip is Dunn's Falls. Jamaica is safe as long as you do not wander around alone. Stay only in the tourist areas and ignore the marijuana dealers who are everywhere. The vendors there can be very pushy so just keep saying no.

When you return to the ship, you will have to go through Jamaican security (metal detector and baggage xray just like the airport). Other ports you will go through ship security upon returning to the ship.

Thank you so much for all the responses....I did find the cruise line specific boards after posting here....and i am now checking them out....so much info! And it make me want to go TOMORROW!!!

One thing I found out for sure is that I met others on our cruise who had cruised many times before and did not know near as much as I did thanks to cruisecritic.com!

The amount of info and the courteousness of fellow cruisers is such a tremendous help! The best thing you have done so far is join cruise critic and ask questions!

You will learn all you need to know and them some! Just BEWARE...it is addicting and I have spent countless hours on this board!

yeah I have already noticed the addiction! LOL I have gotten NOTHING done today....well I did pull my self away long enough to get the kids finished with their studies for the day! But I was longing to come back....I even closed my FB tab which is ALWAYS open....

Carnival always has children on board. That time of year, on a Conquest class ship, I would expect to see about 150 to 200 kids. Camp Carnival will be in session. My nephews were on a slightly smaller Carnival ship in May 2004 and there were about 150 children on board. They went to camp in the morning and hung around with us adults by the pool (or the water slide) in the afternoon.

Since we are a single income family we don't have tons of $$$ to use for the excursions but while in different areas we still want to do something that will be well worth the money we do spend and be able to bring back lots of memories. Hubby wants to see Mayan ruins while in Cozumel are there any excursions that will make this fun for the kids and not just a bunch of talking where I am constantly telling them to shh and be still? I want them to have fun but don't want to bother others around us. I know that kids can be annoying all people can! But I want my hubby to get to do what he wants to do without us having to split up also this is about FAMILY FUN not each doing their own thing.

The best of the Mayan ruins are on the mainland. That is a long trip by ferry from/to Cozumel to the mainland and then a long bus ride (round trip) for a short amount of sightseeing. I recommend seeing the Mayan ruins when you are on the mainland (such as visiting Cancun or cruising to Costa Maya, Belize or Progreso).

Cozumel has some good snorkeling. You can also swim with the dolphins. In fact, you can combine the two by going to Chankanaab Park ...

K3-IMG_1100.jpg

There you can swim with the dolphins ...

Dolphinswim.jpg

or play in the lagoon ...

M1-IMG_1235.jpg

And there is a pool ...

K5-PoolII.jpg

There is also another lagoon with fish that I fed. There is also some snorkeling here. There is also a little play area that included swings, rope ladders and rope bridge. It is next to the lagoon pictured above (the play area is just out of the photo to the left).

I have heard that the snorkeling is the best in Cayman so I am guessing that is what we will do there anything else that is a MUST do at Cozumel or at Cayman island? I haven't heard anything for Jamaica yet. What is the must do thing there? I was looking a few weeks ago at the bobsled thing but I don't think that they will let my daughter do it I think you had to be older. Please whatever excursion ideas keep in mind that we will have a 7 and 8 year old with us and they want to have fun too.

In Grand Cayman my favorite activity is to swim with the stingrays ...

IMGP0491.jpg

IMGP0485.jpg

I have not been to Montego Bay yet. However, be advised that the street vendors are very aggressive in Jamaica.

Hubby wants to see Mayan ruins while in Cozumel are there any excursions that will make this fun for the kids and not just a bunch of talking where I am constantly telling them to shh and be still? I want them to have fun but don't want to bother others around us.
Other people have already posted about the difficulties with the distance to the Mayan ruins outside Cozumel, so I won't dwell on that fact. I have seen ruins (outside Mexico city, not the ones that people visit from the cruise ships), and they are incredible -- but I personally wouldn't make this particular trip from a cruise ship. The fun part of this excursion would be eclipsed by the travel portion.

However, I can give you a suggestion for a substitute: Look into the ATV ride with Wild Tours (right name? When you find the website, there'll be twinkles -- you'll know you're in the right place). It was absolutely the highlight of one of our cruises, and I would love to do it again.

With two children, you'll need to book two double-rider ATVs. The trail is flat, the ATVs are easy to drive (I'd never driven one before), and they give you safety helmets. It wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't out-of-the-question expensive.

You meet your excursion outside Carlos and Charlies (which means you need to take a taxi), and they take you in a van to a spot some distance beyond the popular beaches like Paradise Beach and the Ch-name national park.

After a quick driving lesson, you take off down the trail. When we visited, it'd rained for about three days straight, and the trail was MUDDY. If -- no, when -- we go again, I'll take along a set of old throw-away clothes (including some old tennis shoes) because we were a mess by the time we returned!

Okay, back to the ride: We rode through jungles, and our guides, who spoke very good English, pointed out various examples of vegetation. We made stops at three small points of interest with ties to Mayan history -- a sinkhole where they sacraficed virgins, a small temple, and a cave where they lived. No, they weren't nearly so impressive as the ruins you'd see on the ship's excursion, but they were real history, and getting to them was a blast! Our guides cracked jokes all along the way, and we really had fun.

We were part of a small group. I want to say a dozen people, which is so much nicer than the cruise ship's excursions.

Practical note: When you book, you can choose to book JUST the ride, or you can book the ride AND a beach stop. We booked just the ride, and it was absolutely the right choice.

If you book both, they'll drop you off at their choice of beach (I forget which one), and you get your first drink for free there. They come back at an appointed hour to pick you up and give you a ride to the port; but you're on their time table. If you book JUST the ride, they'll drop you off at the very same beach (or any other beach you choose -- they have to drive right by them all), but you don't get that free drink, and you need to find your own taxi back to the port (which is easy -- taxis are everywhere). You also aren't on anyone else's time table, and we thought that was worthwhile.

Bring both bug spray and sunscreen. The trail area is mostly in the sun.

You will love this excursion!

SO MANY GREAT IDEAS!!! thanks so much everyone please keep them coming!

I have another question to add to my questions....

At dinner each night it seems that the kids are welcome to come to those....at least that is what I have gathered based off of my reading today.....what about the formal night...is that for kids also or should I take them to the camp carnival or something? Or do they have something special usually planned for the kids on the same nights of the formal nights? I have the needed clothes to dress them up because they ahve both been in a weeding recently and also we go to church weekly so we have shirt and tie and black pants and shoes for my son all he would need if anythign would be a jacket and we have family we could borrow that from or even get him one.

At dinner each night it seems that the kids are welcome to come to those....at least that is what I have gathered based off of my reading today.....what about the formal night...is that for kids also or should I take them to the camp carnival or something? Or do they have something special usually planned for the kids on the same nights of the formal nights? I have the needed clothes to dress them up because they ahve both been in a weeding recently and also we go to church weekly so we have shirt and tie and black pants and shoes for my son all he would need if anythign would be a jacket and we have family we could borrow that from or even get him one.
Kids can certainly come to dinner each and every night -- formal night included.

Personally, I enjoy dinner in the MDR three or four times per cruise. Yes, it's nice: the food's good, the company's fun . . . but it does take about an hour and a half, and that's a great deal of time to devote to dinner EVERY SINGLE NIGHT -- there's so much else to do! So we'll eat in the MDR about half the time, and we'll choose other venues the other half.

Though I've never sailed Carnival, the other lines I've patronized have offered kids' club meals on formal night. Since your kids have nice wedding clothes right now, I'd certainly take them to formal night - and choose other nights for less lengthy dining.

SO MANY GREAT IDEAS!!! thanks so much everyone please keep them coming!

I have another question to add to my questions....

Your children can participate in the more formal dinner if they want, or you can let them eat in the buffet and then go to Camp Carnival. By the way, your children can order "off the menu" kid friendly items (such as mac & cheese) if nothing on the menu is of any interest to them. This applies to both formal nights and not so formal nights.

yeah I have already noticed the addiction! LOL I have gotten NOTHING done today....well I did pull my self away long enough to get the kids finished with their studies for the day! But I was longing to come back....I even closed my FB tab which is ALWAYS open....

i also have neglected fb since i found this forum.

DH, DD (4 yo) and I will be going on this same trip in October. We live in Texas and found it to be a good vacation for us. Galveston is only a three hour drive and the cost was better suited for us. I have found tons of information on these boards. So much that i cut the cost of my original excursions that i was going to book through the cruise line in half. I then found private tour operators that were pleasant and very quick to get things done. Plus a lot of the ships excursions my DD was not old enough to do. Booking through these private tour companies i have found things that we can do with her and the excursion in GC and Cozumel are free for her.

Never be afraid to ask a question. Everyone was at one time a first time cruiser and the people here are very friendly and just excited about cruising as you are. And they have tons of information. You will be a pro at cruising long before you even go!

Archived